Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:07:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102473 times)
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11130 on: October 06, 2011, 12:26:02 PM

Too many of them though.

No truly badass jedi in the history of star wars has been a regular user of more than one single sided lightsabre.

As sad as it sounds, this is exactly why the Jedi tank I plan to main on release is a Guardian.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11131 on: October 06, 2011, 01:53:38 PM

Whatever, I shoot first, motherfuckers!

wtb game pst
Playable Rodians: not in at launch.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #11132 on: October 06, 2011, 02:05:34 PM

Does your Ret Paladin jump in to heal when one of the priests dies? No.

True for PvE.  However, is this because people are so single minded or because the game is set up to punish those that stop DPS'ing and switch to healing even with a man down in the group?  In the WoW case, I believe it is because the game is designed that way.  To support that point, think about Ret Paladins in PvP by contrast.  Really good (emphasis) retadins WILL heal when necessary to keep themselves and others up longer because you will get rewarded for doing so.

Allowing all characters/builds utility, healing, CC, etc. are only good if the game rewards you for having this on all members of a team.  Basically if the AI in the game were designed to be like true players (healers targetted, tanks avoided, DPS stunned, etc.) you would see a much bigger demand for more diverse builds.  If you think about it, the whole concept of a tank having special powers that keep the enemy focused on them the entire fight is pretty silly.

I'd really enjoy having the ability to switch roles depending on the circumstances of the encounter moment by moment.  Go in guns ablazing.  Heal if somebody is in trouble.  Tank if you are getting too much heat.  CC if the opportunity is right.  That's why I tended to prefer paladins and druids for PvP myself.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11133 on: October 06, 2011, 03:22:47 PM

I think you might see a small increase in the number of tank/heal specs, if only because the companion characters can fill a hole for you. Like even today in WoW, if you spec for healing, when you want to quest solo or whatever, you either respec to your DPS build or kinda putter along as a sad panda.

With a built in buddy, you always have something to support.

They'll still be dwarfed by the sheer number of dual wielding force users no doubt though.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11134 on: October 06, 2011, 07:23:29 PM

I'm totally cool with "pure dps classes don't far outshine things with a possible other spec"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11135 on: October 06, 2011, 08:04:38 PM

Yes, the other way of doing it was clownshoes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #11136 on: October 06, 2011, 09:11:51 PM

Amusingly all the stealthers in the game are hybrids.   I can think of more than one person who's head would explode if he had to choose between stealth and "l33t deeps".
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11137 on: October 06, 2011, 09:18:49 PM

That's just a wow thing AFAIK.

EVE is probably the best example I can think of where stealth limits DPS, but lots of games do it.

In swtor the main stealth classes have a stealth tree separate to the DPS tree, so no reason swtor couldn't do the same.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #11138 on: October 06, 2011, 09:26:49 PM

In swtor the main stealth classes have a stealth tree separate to the DPS tree, so no reason swtor couldn't do the same.

But they also have a healing tree or a tanking tree.   Thus they wouldn't be "pure" DPS in the manner we were discussing.   You're right it's a WoW thing but the expectation is there now for a lot of people.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #11139 on: October 07, 2011, 01:43:34 AM

That's just a wow thing AFAIK.
Yes, Everquest never had a pure DPS class with stealth or anything.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #11140 on: October 07, 2011, 01:59:52 AM

Neither did DAoC!

God Save the Horn Players
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11141 on: October 07, 2011, 03:19:37 AM

Daoc stealth classes didn't do wizard or light tank DPS. They'd ninja out of stealth and be all 'Nyaahhh ASSASSIN STRIKE!' when you were sat about resting for mana, but their actual DPS was mediocre.

I really can't remember the position in EQ because lolpvestealth.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #11142 on: October 07, 2011, 03:25:18 AM

I really can't remember the position in EQ because lolpvestealth.
Rogues were meh at DPS for a long time.  They even introduced special rogue-only mechanics in various places to force people to bring rogues along, cause they weren't particularly desirable overall.  Eventually they got brought up and were one of the best damage classes in the game.

Rogue stealth on the other hand was always valuable.  The best (and cheapest) option for recovering corpses from whatever dark depths of a dungeon you died in was: send the rogue.  Otherwise you had to get other people to clear the way for you, or get a necro to summon the corpse which was pretty expensive.  Also valuable in a few zones for scouting (to see if anything worth killing is up, if it's out of ranger tracking radius).

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11143 on: October 07, 2011, 04:30:59 AM

Rogue stealth on the other hand was always valuable.  The best (and cheapest) option for recovering corpses from whatever dark depths of a dungeon you died in was: send the rogue.  Otherwise you had to get other people to clear the way for you, or get a necro to summon the corpse which was pretty expensive.  Also valuable in a few zones for scouting (to see if anything worth killing is up, if it's out of ranger tracking radius).

Yes, thank you for reminding us of how far we've come from the days where MMOs = having a full and complete second life

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #11144 on: October 07, 2011, 04:42:30 AM

Yes, thank you for reminding us of how far we've come from the days where MMOs = having a full and complete second life

No shit right.  Dam I remember one POF raid that went bad and a 6 hour corpse recovery before it was all over. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11145 on: October 07, 2011, 06:35:02 AM

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, corpse recovery.

I bitch about SWTOR but I think all this talk is kind of a non issue. All they need to do to insure people play different classes is to have all the classes be useful. It sounds complicated but really there's at least half a dozen ways bioware(AUSTIN!) can ccomplish this so I'm not really worried.

My biggest concern by far is the storyline content just dropping off somewhere mid-level

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #11146 on: October 07, 2011, 06:36:37 AM

That was kind of the allure.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #11147 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:15 AM

[As sad as it sounds, this is exactly why the Jedi tank I plan to main on release is a Guardian.

Same, although I plan to spec him for DPS rather than tanking. I'll probably never try and raid in SWTOR, so I don't give a stuff about minmaxing.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11148 on: October 07, 2011, 08:32:56 AM

Similarly looking at a juggernaught going deep into the utility rage tree.

Look at us rebelling against the man by playing an EA game!

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11149 on: October 07, 2011, 09:33:06 AM

A couple Friday updates.

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20111007
- For anyone who watched the Companion video from a week or two ago, here's a follow-up.  They talk about how you'll be able to tailor your comp's AI to suit your needs, or not at all, if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4cLHU3Yd0
- The BW devs pick a side and debate why they think they're chosen champion would win in a fight between a Jedi Knight and Bounty Hunter.  Light-sabers cutting up a BH and not doing a damn thing ensue  swamp poop

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #11150 on: October 07, 2011, 10:01:57 AM

That was kind of the allure.

Yep, originally, it wasn't about "dps builds" or endless repeating of raids. The allure was to live an alternate life in a alternate world, no matter how bizarre that may sound. Of course there are people who are taking that concept too far, so they ruin their "first" life.

Now, instead of building my own house, run a small business, go to the local player-run tavern and so on, it looks like they want me to believe I need to be heroic at all times, while looking up on the Net for the best armor set and min/max numbers. Alright.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11151 on: October 07, 2011, 10:24:35 AM

EVE does that without having to complete six hour corpse runs.

Also, UO, still running.

They talk about how you'll be able to tailor your comp's AI to suit your needs, or not at all, if you want.

The two things that stood out to me...

1) Tailoring AI doesn't even seem to be on the level of Dragon Age. Presumably this is down to the fear of offending stupid people.
2) You can go ahead and put companion abilities directly under your control, making 1) less of an issue, and also helping alleviate the problem this game has with characters having too few abilities/buttons.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11152 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:52 AM

Apparently Defiance is coming out before this.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:34:52 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11153 on: October 07, 2011, 11:02:10 AM

2) You can go ahead and put companion abilities directly under your control, making 1) less of an issue, and also helping alleviate the problem this game has with characters having too few abilities/buttons.

What? The game borders on EQ2 with the amount of shit you have to have on your hotbars. Hell, it's arguably worse since most of EQ2's was redundant stuff.

Unless that was sarcasm.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11154 on: October 07, 2011, 11:02:54 AM

You have to remember Eldaec is the 40 BUTTONS NOT ENOUGH GIVE ME MORE EQ2 guy.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #11155 on: October 07, 2011, 11:36:58 AM

A couple Friday updates.

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20111007
- For anyone who watched the Companion video from a week or two ago, here's a follow-up.  They talk about how you'll be able to tailor your comp's AI to suit your needs, or not at all, if you want.

But don’t start dreaming about conquering the galaxy with an army of companions at your side just yet – Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively multiplayer game, and as such it is a social experience as much as it is a story-driven BioWare role-playing game. While the majority of content in the game can be mastered by a player and their companion, some group content is a different matter. Flashpoints often require human coordination to successfully overcome challenges.

Take, for example, the fight we showed at PAX East, in which a group of players fought Captain Shivanek and his pet, Ripper. As we showed in the walkthrough video, the group had to split in two to complete this fight. As the first of several boss battles inside the Taral V flashpoint, it provides a moderately difficult challenge for a group of four players – three players and a companion will find this fight to be a far more challenging obstacle that may take several attempts to overcome. Two players and two companions may find it impossible altogether.
Well ain't that great.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11156 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:07 PM

I am not amused by that news.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11157 on: October 07, 2011, 12:06:55 PM

Incoming complaint that it's so difficult to get 3 other people together to raid and groups 2 are so much better.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11158 on: October 07, 2011, 12:11:58 PM

Incoming complaint that it's so difficult to get 3 other people together to raid and groups 2 are so much better.

Ohhhhh, I see.

You run a website.  You can troll better than this. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11159 on: October 07, 2011, 12:12:35 PM

You know, I could go into a big long rant about how dumb this and how dumb you are for making that comment, but I'll just leave it at:

Go hang yourself with your poopsock, raider-boy.  Not everyone has the personal bandwidth or desire to group all of the fucking time to experience content that could be made to accomodate systems that are already in the game. They are counting on my money more than they are counting on yours, and when I hit this brick wall, my money goes away.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:28:33 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11160 on: October 07, 2011, 01:06:01 PM

The problem, as I see it, is that not enough mmo focus on group and raid content.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11161 on: October 07, 2011, 01:08:35 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

You run a website.  You can troll better than this. 

You know, I could go into a big long rant about how dumb this and how dumb you are for making that comment, but I'll just leave it at:

Go hang yourself with your poopsock, raider-boy.  Not everyone has the personal bandwidth or desire to group all of the fucking time to experience content that could be made to accomodate systems that are already in the game. They are counting on my money more than they are counting on yours, and when I hit this brick wall, my money goes away.

awesome, for real

So what happens when you can't find one other person to run a dungeon with, you gonna start bitching you can't do it solo?

I'm just laughing at the fact that no matter how small the player requirement is for a piece of content, people will still bitch that it's not even smaller.  

You seem to think I'm calling for more hardcore content.  Which I'm not.  I hate hardcore content.  I think raiding anything in a game is as hardcore as being on a softball team that practices once or twice a week and plays on Saturdays.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11162 on: October 07, 2011, 01:13:44 PM

They're probably wrong about how hard it is anyway - players always end up surprising devs on what they can handle solo or undermanned - unless we're literally talking about something where 4 people have to flip a switch simultaneously or whatever. I don't really see a big problem if one or two of the flashpoints have little issues like that, personally. Especially if/when a random group finder is added.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11163 on: October 07, 2011, 01:17:01 PM

They're probably wrong about how hard it is anyway - players always end up surprising devs on what they can handle solo or undermanned - unless we're literally talking about something where 4 people have to flip a switch simultaneously or whatever. I don't really see a big problem if one or two of the flashpoints have little issues like that, personally. Especially if/when a random group finder is added.

Or like, one person is a tank and the other is a healer and you use companions for dps. 

From the class design dev post from earlier in the week:
By spending that first skill point at level 10, you start developing your character into whatever role you want them to play in the long term. Since it's your skill choices that define your role, it is a gradual process. You don't become a healer at level 10 or 11, you're growing into becoming a healer over many levels.

Our content is designed around that. The first Flashpoint assumes the group has only DPS roles. Even if you bring a healer, he'll have only a single heal available at that level as he has just begun his journey into his role, so there isn't too much of a spread in balance.

Over time, the game becomes more firm in the roles it requires for content like Flashpoints, but additional tools like companions still make it more flexible than many other MMOs in regards to what group mix can run group content.

That progression is quite different from how your characters work in other games, and we've certainly seen our share of people being surprised by it in testing ("I just took the Sage Advanced Class, but I don't feel like I'm a great healer").

So players don't have defined roles until later in the game.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11164 on: October 07, 2011, 01:18:11 PM

You have to remember Eldaec is the 40 BUTTONS NOT ENOUGH GIVE ME MORE EQ2 guy.

My ideal MMO would literally fill my second monitor with buttons to push.

Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: