Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102324 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10290 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:46 AM

I don't understand the love for the one-ahead queue, to be honest.

Aren't you just mashing buttons still, but one action ahead of what your character is doing?
No. Without a queue, you have to mash buttons until the GCD/ability CD is over. With a queue, you can just press the next ability you want to use once and wait for it to fire off.

As a guitarist, I really don't appreciate stressing my carpals for a stupid game when there is a technical solution that's been in place for long enough to earn a phd. I argued like a stone cold motherfucker during Rift testing, and they put in a great solution: turn it off entirely, have it short (so if you hit the button just before the CD is over, it still fires) and full, meaning I cast spell A, then can immediately press spell B ONCE and not worry about timing the GCD/CD nonsense. Also good for spells with long refreshes, it will always remember the last button you pressed. But not anything beyond a 1-ahead queue. It's not about hitting the full rotation, just about removing mashing as much as possible. Turned it on (once I found the option, hah) in Rift last night and had the best half-hour in Rift ever. Amazing how much better the controls respond when they match your preference.

NO reason not to have it as an option, it just smooths out gameplay and removes most non-sensical button mashing - in fact, discourages it, which is why some people (WoW) don't like it. Takes some getting used to not hammering the keys and mistakenly queueing the same ability again if you hit it after it fires.

If anyone is testing, please lobby for the solution Rift put in place. Why not let players choose which one works best for them? I get that not everyone likes it. All the more reason to have the 3-tier option, tailor it to how you want without denying anyone else their own preference (that was the argument that eventually won out with Rift). Don't like it? Set it to off.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10291 on: September 13, 2011, 07:23:45 AM

Why is it every month I seem to discover yet another feature WoW has managed to uninvent...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10292 on: September 13, 2011, 08:04:06 AM

Unless I'm falling into the sarchasm, wow has had a single-ability queue for non-instants since early BC, and they made it possible to queue instants as well since Cata.

(I know this since it was the only thing that kept me playing.. as a caster with 600+ ping you were boned without any queuing, even if you used Quartz)

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10293 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:37 AM

Your awful lag wasn't a queue.  It was how latency interacts with the GCD.

-Rasix
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10294 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:24 AM

Stopcast macro all the things.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #10295 on: September 13, 2011, 09:06:54 AM

Yea... I meant that halfway through BC they actually patched in a sorta-queue, where you could hit a spell when your previous spell was ~.5sec or less from finishing, and it'd go into a server-side queue and fire off right after the first spell finished. It did nothing about the GCD though (that check was client-side and server side), so instacasts would still suffer if you had bad latency.

Then they added an actual queue with Cata (there was a huge gnashing of teeth on the forums, then they added a toggle for it in interface options)

edit: This is the queuing 'fix' they added in 2.3
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:09:34 AM by Zetor »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10296 on: September 13, 2011, 09:13:03 AM

I don't understand the love for the one-ahead queue, to be honest.

Aren't you just mashing buttons still, but one action ahead of what your character is doing?
No. Without a queue, you have to mash buttons until the GCD/ability CD is over. With a queue, you can just press the next ability you want to use once and wait for it to fire off.

You don't have to mash without a queue, either.  You just have to be quick enough to time the gcd right.  PVP's the only place I find myself mashing anything. Pve is all "press, press, press"  No difference with or without the queue, since with the queue I'd still have to press the button at the same rate either way.  

If the ability-fire cycle is 1s you're still pressing a button every 1s, and just allowing the program to fire it when the 1s is up instead of you pressing it when it's over.  You're not waiting another 1s before queuing the next ability, you're pressing it as soon as your queue is clear.   Which is why it makes better sense to me to have it in systems where ability windups are in a range, with most being greater than 1s.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10297 on: September 13, 2011, 10:28:20 AM

Either I have to watch the hotbar to see when the ability is available, or I mash until it fires. I prefer to just queue it and watch for it to fire and look at the hotbar as little as possible. Works for me, and with a 2- or 3-way option it doesn't impede anyone who doesn't like it that way. I'm not trying to champion my way of doing things over other ways, it's trivial to support several ways.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10298 on: September 13, 2011, 10:48:22 AM

Yea... I meant that halfway through BC they actually patched in a sorta-queue, where you could hit a spell when your previous spell was ~.5sec or less from finishing, and it'd go into a server-side queue and fire off right after the first spell finished.

Yeah this. That really seems like the only sort of queue you really need. There's no frantic mashing involved when I play WoW, certainly.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #10299 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:49 AM

Psst. Blizzard added an ability queue in Cataclysm.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Rasix

Reply #10300 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:37 AM

Yah, I didn't read the whole statement.  MY BAD. I was wholly referring to the pre-Cata casting.

Yea... I meant that halfway through BC they actually patched in a sorta-queue, where you could hit a spell when your previous spell was ~.5sec or less from finishing, and it'd go into a server-side queue and fire off right after the first spell finished.

Yeah this. That really seems like the only sort of queue you really need. There's no frantic mashing involved when I play WoW, certainly.

I don't even remember when that was put in, and I had played a caster before and after.  But there was an awfully long gap between my resto shaman in Vanilla and my boomkin / resto shaman in BC.

-Rasix
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #10301 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:02 AM

In WoW I have everything timed out on my main but when I play an alt I'm hitting keys over and over again until they become available because I don't know the timing.  I wouldn't have to do that if there was a full fledged queue system.  It isn't reasonable to expect me to muscle-memory all the timings on all my characters, especially since there are skills that may or may not trigger the global cool down, some of my characters will have more haste than others and so on.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10302 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:24 PM

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=486040

Same-gender romances confirmed post-launch.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #10303 on: September 13, 2011, 02:40:15 PM

And only 51 pages for that thread...

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10304 on: September 13, 2011, 02:48:07 PM

Thank god. I was concerned about fictional gender equality in the fictionally based universe that I play in on the computer.

Also, I look forward to that patch being dubbed, "The Queer Eye Patch"

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10305 on: September 13, 2011, 02:54:16 PM

Heart Bioware.

Rasix

Reply #10306 on: September 13, 2011, 03:07:32 PM

Thank god. I was concerned about fictional gender equality in the fictionally based universe that I play in on the computer.

Also, I look forward to that patch being dubbed, "The Queer Eye Patch"

That's your reaction to this? Really?

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10307 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10:21 PM

Am I missing something? Is there some victory for gay rights involved with making sure we have proper romance options in SWTOR?

Believe me, I'm all for gay rights when it matters. I would fully support their rights to get married, property, etc and vote as such. However, the whole thing to me just seemed a large mountain out of a very silly molehill.

In essence, good for them, I couldn't care less either way since I have no dog in this one.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10308 on: September 13, 2011, 03:15:06 PM

For having no dog you certainly have spent a lot of words on it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10309 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:34 PM

It's a drop in the bucket compared to the threads that went on the forums about it. I'm just happy it's settled until the patch comes out, or doesn't come out, or takes too long coming out.

Then we'll get to have the same forum stupidity all over again instead of just remembering it's a game.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10310 on: September 13, 2011, 03:37:00 PM

What you're missing - and this is easy for you to miss, I suppose, what with being a straight dude and thus secure in the knowledge you exist in the eyes of the world at all times - is that acknowledgement that you fucking exist and are worth representing in a game is a sign that things are changing, that the grind towards equality is gaining ground, even in places where it doesn't "matter."

No one likes spending their leisure time being vaguely aware that even in the Land of Make Believe they are Less Than the default group any more than they must. This is not strange.

God Save the Horn Players
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10311 on: September 13, 2011, 03:47:41 PM

Why can't I romance my droid or that sexy Dewback I saw on Tatooine?   why so serious?
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10312 on: September 13, 2011, 03:49:01 PM

It's a drop in the bucket compared to the threads that went on the forums about it. I'm just happy it's settled until the patch comes out, or doesn't come out, or takes too long coming out.

Then we'll get to have the same forum stupidity all over again instead of just remembering it's a game.

I don't pipe up much on such issues 'cause normally I agree, it really doesn't matter one whit compared to the fact my guy and I can't get hitched in Texas, where we live.

But when my male dude got to flirt with a guy, and progress to a post-bedding scene in Dragon Age...words are hard to describe the effect of seeing something even remotely reminiscent of my own life's experience represented in a game -- where I've NEVER seen it represented (decently) before. While it's unreasonable for me to expect anyone who's not walked a mile in my shoes to fully understand, what I'd like to hope of my fellow human beings, though, is some sense of empathy and understanding. Bioware seems to have that and I, for one, am grateful.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10313 on: September 13, 2011, 03:49:35 PM

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10314 on: September 13, 2011, 04:01:52 PM

I get how it's important to you if you're gay. That makes total sense to be like, "Uh, I'd like this feature because it's how I would play the game if you weren't ignoring it exists."

If only things on the forums were that simple without people who aren't gay getting involved and firing bullets at each other, I think we would have all been better off.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10315 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:01 PM

What you're missing - and this is easy for you to miss, I suppose, what with being a straight dude and thus secure in the knowledge you exist in the eyes of the world at all times - is that acknowledgement that you fucking exist and are worth representing in a game is a sign that things are changing, that the grind towards equality is gaining ground, even in places where it doesn't "matter."

No one likes spending their leisure time being vaguely aware that even in the Land of Make Believe they are Less Than the default group any more than they must. This is not strange.

This. Thank you, Sjofn.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10316 on: September 13, 2011, 04:04:35 PM

I get how it's important to you if you're gay. That makes total sense to be like, "Uh, I'd like this feature because it's how I would play the game if you weren't ignoring it exists."

If only things on the forums were that simple without people who aren't gay getting involved and firing bullets at each other, I think we would have all been better off.

Isn't that exactly what you are doing? I'm confused.

In essence, good for them, I couldn't care less either way since I have no dog in this one.

Seeing that you started this conversation with mocking dismissal you do appear to care.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:14:26 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10317 on: September 13, 2011, 04:07:00 PM

Why can't I romance my droid or that sexy Dewback I saw on Tatooine?   why so serious?

Who are you, Rick Santorum?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10318 on: September 13, 2011, 04:09:33 PM

Isn't that exactly what you are doing?

I'm confused.

Has not felt like bullets to me -- just relatively sane discussion, which I usually find only here. Yeah, we can get silly and heated, but it's a readable silly and heated -- nothing like the rabid nonsense on most official forums (what I used to call "Vault-style blathering" when those used to be the only forum option for many games).

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10319 on: September 13, 2011, 04:09:58 PM

Isn't that exactly what you are doing?
I'm confused.

I'm not firing bullets at them. I'm saying the whole shebang was overrated, on both sides. Because the reality is they weren't making comments about the game. They were making comments about the principles and politics. I believe any time you bring those into gaming, we all lose. But I'm happy that if you are gay, you have a choice to be gay in the game.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10320 on: September 13, 2011, 04:11:26 PM

Facepalm

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10321 on: September 13, 2011, 04:11:45 PM

I'll reserve the Heart for when they actually add it.  Things change and I can't see same-sex romances being more of a priority than other systems which impact a larger number of people.  Sounds like a patch that will draw a lot of fire for that reason.  Not having it at launch is going to cause them nothing but trouble down the line.

Great for them if they do, but it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation on this one.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rasix

Reply #10322 on: September 13, 2011, 04:11:48 PM

But I'm happy that if you are gay, you have a choice to be gay in the game.

You didn't seem happy.

Here's another shovel. 

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10323 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:58 PM

You didn't seem happy.

From the jump, I'm just happy it's resolved. Perhaps it will end the shouting. However, Sobelius made some good points, so I'm happy for him. Win win.

EDIT: Also, I forgot that if you make a sarcastic joke about anything hot-button here, you're a fucking redneck bigot. My bad. Lordy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:15:48 PM by Paelos »

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10324 on: September 13, 2011, 04:17:37 PM

You didn't seem happy.

"Thank god. I was concerned about fictional gender equality in the fictionally based universe that I play in on the computer." That doesn't sound happy to you?

Maybe you read it as sarcasm when it was in fact 100% serious?  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:21:12 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: