Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102354 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #9520 on: August 24, 2011, 07:07:38 AM

Yeah, I just removed this from my buy list last week.  I'm sure I'll check it out at some point, but Rift showed me exactly how tired of WoW I was.  In turn, it showed me how tired I am all together with the MMO genre lately.  It doesn't help that I went back to school recently, too.  I can't imagine trying to do a 30hr/wk MMO along with 13 credit hours at school.  I'd go crazy.

So true. I have Rift on my second month now, and whenever I login I'm impressed by how cool it all seems. All the same, I can't bring myself to play more than one or two hours at a time, and I have to take days off in between sessions. None of that with the grindfest that is AoEo, I play it obsessively, so it's all about the diku gameplay being sooooo worn out.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #9521 on: August 24, 2011, 07:08:52 AM

Why is 5 people your line in the sand?  Why not 6 or 4?

Because MMOs were the original sorities that Eubulides had in mind.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9522 on: August 24, 2011, 07:12:09 AM

Logistics. Online social people usually have around five close friends so you can put together things easily based on that. Also, you can rotate in and out of roles well for a DIKU. Tank, Healer, DPS, DPS, DPS is the standard WoW set that I think serves well in it's ease.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9523 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:02 AM

You need to step outside your bubble and pug a while.  Go and run some T2's with 4 randoms.  Run GSB or RoS with a bunch or randoms.  After doing that for a couple of weeks, tell me how much fun you're having compared to your tight-knit crew.  I think it would be an eye-opener.  

Most people can find 3-4 others to play with.  If I find 3, then I just need one random to make a 5 man.  If we make sure that our group has the key components (healer and tank) then we're left pugging dps.  Most of the time, that's manageable.  There's just no reason for groups to be larger than 4 in the standard diku model.  Healer, tank, dps, utility.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9524 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:31 AM

Why is 5 people your line in the sand?  Why not 6 or 4?

Because four is RIGHT OUT!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9525 on: August 24, 2011, 07:38:02 AM

Depending on how many people from Slap in the Face move on over to Slap in the Force, 8 would be doable without TOO big a headache.There were definitely times where we'd only have 8 show for a 10 man raid, so ... Of course, that probably just means we'd only have 6 show up for an 8 man.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I somehow missed that the group size is 4, that's ... small. It feels small. I don't know why four feels small and five feels normal, but it does!

God Save the Horn Players
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9526 on: August 24, 2011, 07:39:38 AM

I like 4.  It has a tactical feel.  With 5, someone can slack off and you can usually still do fine.  With 4, it gives the illusion that everyone has to pull their weight. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #9527 on: August 24, 2011, 08:03:31 AM

I'm curious what Blizzard will do to fight it.

Orcball  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9528 on: August 24, 2011, 08:03:45 AM

Depending on how many people from Slap in the Face move on over to Slap in the Force, 8 would be doable without TOO big a headache.There were definitely times where we'd only have 8 show for a 10 man raid, so ... Of course, that probably just means we'd only have 6 show up for an 8 man.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Slap is pretty tight-knit.  Even if the five friends bits holds, putting any three of us together means a few more friends from each that the others are all comfortable with.  Plus I'd wager higher than average competency.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #9529 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:04 AM

Do you think getting 8 people together is going to be difficult to do?

Yes.  It was difficult enough to find 8 good players in DAoC.  My guild couldn't keep 8 people together in Rift, which ultimately resulted in my quitting the game.    Finding 8 adults that I can tolerate for hours in a vent channel is hard.  Especially adults with families and a life. 

The difficulty was the rigid role requirements that had to be filled.  A Taskforce in CoX, which is also 8 players, is extremely easy to fill because the roles are all so flexible.

Over and out.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9530 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:32 AM

Depending on how many people from Slap in the Face move on over to Slap in the Force, 8 would be doable without TOO big a headache.
When guild phase 2 starts, we have to set up alignment between SLAP and BC. I hope there is some in-game support, like an alliance chat channel and window. If we could ally the various splinter groups, we might be able to actually hit operations fairly regularly.

And hey, I think Drae is saying we're all welcome at FoH raids from now on.

Watching a gamescom interview, no LFD, just a flag in the LFG pane. No role advertisement, either. LFG finder is server-only, no cross-server LFD. Why is this so hard for games to get right? Even Rift's very rudimentary system mostly worked, all but one dungeon group I was in (post-release) was through the LFD. Blah.

And the gear quality for the 8 and 16 man raids is equal, you just get more drops for the 16. Quality based on difficulty mode, which is a switch flipped before the instance. But you can use crew skills to ease the pain, archeology would let you maybe find a secret door or slicing will let you power up a friendly battle droid.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:00:01 AM by Sky »
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #9531 on: August 24, 2011, 09:15:30 AM

Yes.  It was difficult enough to find 8 good players in DAoC.  My guild couldn't keep 8 people together in Rift, which ultimately resulted in my quitting the game.    Finding 8 adults that I can tolerate for hours in a vent channel is hard.  Especially adults with families and a life. 

The difficulty was the rigid role requirements that had to be filled.  A Taskforce in CoX, which is also 8 players, is extremely easy to fill because the roles are all so flexible.

Yeah, flexible roles make filling out taskforces (1 group) and raids pretty easy in CoX. Max group size is 8 and the Praetorian raids go from 2-4 groups. Only if you're doing master badge challenges like defeat the raid boss w/o using the mission-specific debuff do you need to worry about roles and power selection.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9532 on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:35 AM

I think that's one downside of TOR going with more or less straight classes, and they really need to rethink that imo. If I'm going to run my BH solo, I'm going to want a different setup than if I'm grouped or doing pvp. Some games have put in minor measures to alleviate this, but Rift has really set the standard there. Way too late in TOR development, but the least they can do is allow very easy respecs and three role presets so you can switch on the fly.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9533 on: August 24, 2011, 09:38:18 AM

Its hardly raiding when it's either 8 or 16 people.

I'd call anything over 6 people a raid.  So would Rift and WoW.

It comes down to group sizes.  SWTOR has max group of four people.  The definition of a Raid, I guess, is multi group content.  Rift that's 10 and 20 man (2 and 4 group) and WOW is 10 and 25 man (2 and 5 group).  In SWTOR it appears that they will have 4 man groups, 8 and 16 man raids (2 and 4 group).

The question is, if you continue to shrink group size, does the small raid size really become a raid?  In SWTOR you have 8 people.  That's not much at all, that's only 3 extra people that in your normal WOW/RAID single group dungeon.  I would think the largest complaint about raids is the organization of so many people.  That's the stigma anyway.

Let's take it a step further and say groups are 3 people.  The raids consist of 2 and 4 group content.  Thats 6 and 12 people.  Would you consider 6 people a raid at that point?

What is the threshold for when something is considered a raid in some abstract definition?

I think it is easier to think of it as how content designers approach these things. I'd imagine they define the boxes like so; solo, less then a full group, a full group, 2 groups and 4 groups then pick a pigeon hole and go from there. But as I've said before whoever cracks the dynamic scaling difficulty on group size may have a winner on their hands.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #9534 on: August 24, 2011, 09:39:28 AM

I think that's one downside of TOR going with more or less straight classes, and they really need to rethink that imo. If I'm going to run my BH solo, I'm going to want a different setup than if I'm grouped or doing pvp. Some games have put in minor measures to alleviate this, but Rift has really set the standard there. Way too late in TOR development, but the least they can do is allow very easy respecs and three role presets so you can switch on the fly.
Again, if it's in WoW, you can be fairly certain it's going to be in SWTOR. If not at release, then soon thereafter.
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #9535 on: August 24, 2011, 09:53:14 AM

Again, if it's in WoW, you can be fairly certain it's going to be in SWTOR. If not at release, then soon thereafter.

Once the tank/healer shortage screaming begins they'll add dual specs.

Not that it will help.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9536 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18:35 AM

Depending on how many people from Slap in the Face move on over to Slap in the Force, 8 would be doable without TOO big a headache.
When guild phase 2 starts, we have to set up alignment between SLAP and BC. I hope there is some in-game support, like an alliance chat channel and window. If we could ally the various splinter groups, we might be able to actually hit operations fairly regularly.

SitF is gonna be Republic (SJOFN DEMAND SMUGGLER and FORDEL DEMAND TROOPER), which would actually make me prefer we not be aligned, just because I have this DISEASE where I cannot play the Other Faction on the same server as my "real" characters. I blame DAoC. Also depends on how many character slots we get per server (do we know that yet?). I would be totally sad if I couldn't make one of everything because I want a person in BC or whatever.

It's not ACTUALLY up to me, of course, just a thought. I DO plan on having at least one BC character (up to four, depending on how engrossing the game is, I do love to level, and I do play the shit out of Bioware games!) however it shakes out, though, 'cause. Well. Why wouldn't I?  Heart

Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #9537 on: August 24, 2011, 10:43:47 AM

just because I have this DISEASE where I cannot play the Other Faction on the same server as my "real" characters. I blame DAoC.

Hey, I totally have that disease too.  Though I have absolutely nothing to blame for it other than my own bizarreness.  It makes me feel... creepy, somehow.  Like I'm peeking in somebody's windows at night.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9538 on: August 24, 2011, 10:55:12 AM

Like you're tresspassing at the very least!

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9539 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:04 AM

Weird.  I prefer playing all factions on the same server.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9540 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:47 AM

Noooo!

You are supposed to hates them! What else are official forums for?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9541 on: August 24, 2011, 11:33:45 AM

You need to step outside your bubble and pug a while.  Go and run some T2's with 4 randoms.  Run GSB or RoS with a bunch or randoms.  After doing that for a couple of weeks, tell me how much fun you're having compared to your tight-knit crew.  I think it would be an eye-opener.  

Most people can find 3-4 others to play with.  If I find 3, then I just need one random to make a 5 man.  If we make sure that our group has the key components (healer and tank) then we're left pugging dps.  Most of the time, that's manageable.  There's just no reason for groups to be larger than 4 in the standard diku model.  Healer, tank, dps, utility.  

Trust me, I'm well aware of the pug scene in any game.  When I played WOW in TBC and WOTLK it was all in a family style guild or without one.  So I was exclusively pugging.  It's only recent with RIFT that I stepped back into the hardcore raiding/guild scene.

That being said, I don't see much of a difference between 5 and 8 people as long as the fights are not super tuned.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9542 on: August 24, 2011, 11:36:50 AM

That's 8 chances of a bio-break rather than 5 in a boss fight. That's whats different.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9543 on: August 24, 2011, 11:45:29 AM

SitF is gonna be Republic (SJOFN DEMAND SMUGGLER and FORDEL DEMAND TROOPER)
That's cool. I really want to roll a Jedi Knight at some point. I'll submit my application with my raid availability and achievements in other raiding games as well as my current dkp in wow. "I raid so good, make you wanna slap yo mama!"

Though I do also prefer all my characters on one server for the day they finally crumble and allow cross-faction mail or bank (yay EQ2!).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9544 on: August 24, 2011, 11:46:39 AM

Do we know how many characters are allowed per server yet?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9545 on: August 24, 2011, 12:14:40 PM

Trust me, I'm well aware of the pug scene in any game.  When I played WOW in TBC and WOTLK it was all in a family style guild or without one.  So I was exclusively pugging.  It's only recent with RIFT that I stepped back into the hardcore raiding/guild scene.

That being said, I don't see much of a difference between 5 and 8 people as long as the fights are not super tuned.

If there's no difference between 5 and 8, then how is there one between 8 and 10 - which has proven quite viable as a raid-size for WoW.  2 groups.  See, you're looking at it the wrong way.   It's the # of groups, not the # of people in questions.  The difference in the products is 1 group, 2 group, 4 group.  vs 1 group, 2 group, 5 group raids.   

In th eend I think SWTOR encounters will actually be tougher to balance, given smaller group size and larger variety of class roles.  In WOW all tanks are Melee, so their problems are predictable.  All healers are ranged and DPS is either-or.  Meanwhile with SWTOR we're seeing ranged tanks added in to the mix.  Problems in WOW that were only the DPS' concern are now the tanks.  (Oh hey, need to avoid that random aoe effect in addition to the boss.)   Are there melee healers as well, that will have to worry about standing in flames/ positioning the way WOW melee dps do?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #9546 on: August 24, 2011, 12:17:11 PM

One?  why so serious?

Over and out.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9547 on: August 24, 2011, 12:29:57 PM

If there's no difference between 5 and 8, then how is there one between 8 and 10 - which has proven quite viable as a raid-size for WoW.  2 groups.  See, you're looking at it the wrong way.   It's the # of groups, not the # of people in questions.  The difference in the products is 1 group, 2 group, 4 group.  vs 1 group, 2 group, 5 group raids.   

In th eend I think SWTOR encounters will actually be tougher to balance, given smaller group size and larger variety of class roles.  In WOW all tanks are Melee, so their problems are predictable.  All healers are ranged and DPS is either-or.  Meanwhile with SWTOR we're seeing ranged tanks added in to the mix.  Problems in WOW that were only the DPS' concern are now the tanks.  (Oh hey, need to avoid that random aoe effect in addition to the boss.)   Are there melee healers as well, that will have to worry about standing in flames/ positioning the way WOW melee dps do?

It's all based on your point of view. A group of 8 isn't large at all from my perspective.  Most people are coming from WOW or Rift and a typical group is 5 people, so 8 is 1.5 groups.  I think people can easily manage that in any PUG environment.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9548 on: August 24, 2011, 12:31:00 PM

It's 8, and a dev mentioned, in an offhand remark, that there may be a reason you would want two characters of different factions on the same server.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9549 on: August 24, 2011, 12:53:13 PM

One?  why so serious?

I know you're joking but I would seriously fucking cut a bitch. It was a major factor in me not trying SWG (another major factor was everyone I knew saying it was buggy as fuck).

It's 8, and a dev mentioned, in an offhand remark, that there may be a reason you would want two characters of different factions on the same server.

But my SICKNESS.  Heartbreak

Oh well, if that's the case, more reason to have Slap and Bat Country be ADVERSARIES GRR. I guess. Man I get all  undecided just thinking about it. I am broken!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:55:25 PM by Sjofn »

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9550 on: August 24, 2011, 01:50:16 PM

But what about MOLES?
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9551 on: August 24, 2011, 02:37:55 PM

I've never rolled off-faction on the same server, either. It would be... weird. I suppose with WoW, there's 10 classes and 10 slots per server so if you want to fill out a roster for one faction you've got a neat number of slots allocated. Seeing as there's only 4 classes in SWtOR that suddenly leaves a few slots to ponder over. And no, I'm not counting alt-specializations. I don't in WoW.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9552 on: August 24, 2011, 03:08:55 PM

But what about MOLES?

They aren't a playable race.   why so serious?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9553 on: August 24, 2011, 03:36:22 PM

I've never rolled off-faction on the same server, either. It would be... weird. I suppose with WoW, there's 10 classes and 10 slots per server so if you want to fill out a roster for one faction you've got a neat number of slots allocated. Seeing as there's only 4 classes in SWtOR that suddenly leaves a few slots to ponder over. And no, I'm not counting alt-specializations. I don't in WoW.

There's 4 classes, and each class has two advanced classes. In practice, it's eight classes per side, so it still fills out neatly if you make your opposite faction analogue the advanced class you didn't pick.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:41:24 PM by koro »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9554 on: August 24, 2011, 04:59:31 PM

That was my plan.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: