Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102086 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8260 on: July 23, 2011, 04:13:59 AM

As I understand it SWTOR is effectively allowing you to build a costume from whatever parts you find, but not giving you any help switching it around?

Essentially.  From what I understand you can't just build a suit of level 1 gear and wear it forever.   The lower gear has less potential or something.   I'm guessing anything purple is basically free reign or whatever.   I think it's an interesting compromise.   A superhero style costume system is awesome but it does loose some of that "I'm wearing phat lewts" feeling.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8261 on: July 23, 2011, 05:01:57 AM

Nothing stops you only wearing phat lewts in the CoX or Rift systems.

I assume by 'purple' you mean some arbitrary wowtard convention for 'good shit'? I'd have thought that given the nature of shit in SWTOR, effectiveness would be be determined by the good, medicore or bad shit that you slot into the costume piece, and that the only limitation on the costume piece itself (making it tier 1/2 etc) would be how many slots you get. Sounds like they've just taken the KOTOR system to its logical conclusion.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8262 on: July 23, 2011, 05:25:09 AM

Nothing stops you only wearing phat lewts in the CoX or Rift systems.
Yea but you don't get that feeling of showing off the phat lewts to people around you.   DCUO tried to solve this but it didn't work very well.

I'd have thought that given the nature of shit in SWTOR, effectiveness would be be determined by the good, medicore or bad shit that you slot into the costume piece, and that the only limitation on the costume piece itself (making it tier 1/2 etc) would be how many slots you get. Sounds like they've just taken the KOTOR system to its logical conclusion.

Yea essentially better items eventually get more slots.   No clue on what qualifies as "better" in their system though.   I'm assuming they won't screw the whole thing up by constantly adding more slots to higher tier gear.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8263 on: July 23, 2011, 05:33:02 AM

I have a suspicion what you really mean is that people with phat lewts don't get to feel superior because other people still look pretty good. Well honestly, fuck those guys.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8264 on: July 23, 2011, 05:47:41 AM

I have a suspicion what you really mean is that people with phat lewts don't get to feel superior because other people still look pretty good. Well honestly, fuck those guys.

No I'm talking about the feeling you get when you're wearing decent gear instead of scrubby leveling stuff.   Maybe you don't get it but it exists.    Like at least having heroic 5 man gear or whatever.   That's nothing to feel superior about but it still feels like a decent accomplishment when you finish the set.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8265 on: July 23, 2011, 05:54:46 AM

Nothing wrong with having specific costume pieces as rewards, that you can choose to use if you want that feeling, both CoX and Rift do it. SWTOR too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:03:49 AM by eldaec »

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8266 on: July 23, 2011, 06:26:40 AM

When did CoX add costume pieces as rewards?  It didn't have anything like that when I played a year or two ago.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8267 on: July 23, 2011, 06:46:16 AM

They've had unique costume rewards for a long time...I recall doing a TF one time that afterwards, I had access to some really hot pants  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #8268 on: July 23, 2011, 08:46:34 AM

There are a lot of games I want to play coming out around November, December.  I won't be upset if I'm a few weeks late on the levelling curve.  I really can't remember the last time I was excited about Christmas releases.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8269 on: July 23, 2011, 09:05:54 AM

No I'm talking about the feeling you get when you're wearing decent gear instead of scrubby leveling stuff.   Maybe you don't get it but it exists.    Like at least having heroic 5 man gear or whatever.   That's nothing to feel superior about but it still feels like a decent accomplishment when you finish the set.
How does simply being able to wear something else if the decent gear happens to look hideous take that feeling from you?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8270 on: July 23, 2011, 09:20:31 AM

BEcause he should get to look cool because he deserves it, he worked for it. Not like you, you fucking second class casual scrub. You should be happy you're even allowed to wear the cast-off rags the real players don't need. How dare you even question such a worthy player?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8271 on: July 23, 2011, 09:34:37 AM

Bastila wasn't whoring it up in her armor. I think we'll be fine.

I wasn't actually worried, but I am contractually obligated to respond whenever someone expresses doubt there's anyone out there that doesn't want to dress up as a space whore.

I always figured you'd be all over the space whore type...if it was space belf mancandy.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8272 on: July 23, 2011, 09:38:27 AM

Have you seen her Blood Bowl team?

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #8273 on: July 23, 2011, 10:59:05 AM

Actually, the slave Leia outfit was the direct quote the dev on the panel made (paraphrasing here) "You will lose some combat effectiveness if you want to dress like Slave Leia"

Should increase mobility!
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6550847/female-armor-sucks
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8274 on: July 23, 2011, 01:43:48 PM

Bastila wasn't whoring it up in her armor. I think we'll be fine.

I wasn't actually worried, but I am contractually obligated to respond whenever someone expresses doubt there's anyone out there that doesn't want to dress up as a space whore.

I always figured you'd be all over the space whore type...if it was space belf mancandy.

All the more reason for costume slots! I don't want to force you guys into wearing nothing but furry panties against your will.  why so serious?

Ingmar doesn't want me to play a hot dude in this game, I can't imagine why that is. :(

Have you seen her Blood Bowl team?

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

I PICKED THEM FOR PUNCHING PURPOSES I SWEAR

God Save the Horn Players
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8275 on: July 23, 2011, 02:13:20 PM

How does simply being able to wear something else if the decent gear happens to look hideous take that feeling from you?

Uhh it doesn't?  I was talking about how an appearance tab is better than the CoX costume system where gear doesn't have any looks at all.   Some of you guys are pretty touchy about this.  I'd like you all to show me on the doll where the fashion conscious raiders touched you.  why so serious?
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #8276 on: July 23, 2011, 02:16:59 PM

And what happens when that 'phat lewt' not only makes you like identical to everyone else, but also makes you look worse than the gear you upgraded from?

Edit:

Some of you guys are pretty touchy about this.  I'd like you all to show me on the doll where the fashion conscious raiders touched you.  why so serious?

On the head, where WoW makes people wear fish heads as they're 'cool' armor.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:19:17 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8277 on: July 23, 2011, 02:24:50 PM

Why are we all piling on the guy who thinks wardrobe slots are OK?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8278 on: July 23, 2011, 02:28:08 PM

Why are we all piling on the guy who thinks wardrobe slots are OK?

The real reason is that it is because he said he liked collecting the 5man heroic dungeon gear in WoW.  Such a person must surely be evil.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8279 on: July 23, 2011, 02:30:40 PM

Meh, half the reason I started PvPing in WoW again is because I wanted armor that matched and didn't look like ass.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8280 on: July 23, 2011, 02:35:07 PM

Uhh it doesn't?  I was talking about how an appearance tab is better than the CoX costume system where gear doesn't have any looks at all.   Some of you guys are pretty touchy about this.  I'd like you all to show me on the doll where the fashion conscious raiders touched you.  why so serious?

In CoX you get a bunch of costume parts when you start the game, then a bunch more as loot from doing ~things~.

Some gear is looks. Other gear is other things.

This is basically another example of WoW unsolving a problem that was solved in a perfectly reasonable way before collective industry memory of all other games was somehow wiped.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8281 on: July 23, 2011, 02:36:24 PM

Seriously, you know how people like to say you can't uninvent nuclear weapons? Well that is bullshit, just convince Blizzard to enter the WMD business and they'll be gone within a year.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8282 on: July 23, 2011, 02:41:05 PM

The last section of this thread:

Amaron: I like wardrobe slots better than CoH costume pieces because I can still stand around in town with my epics showing if I want to.

Everyone else: WHY DO YOU THINK WARDROBE SLOTS ARE STUPID, I HATE WOW DON'T LET THIS BE LIKE THAT

Ingmar:  Facepalm

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8283 on: July 23, 2011, 02:55:45 PM

Boy I was only joking about the doll but the amount of rage appears to be making people unable to even finish reading posts.   why so serious?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8284 on: July 23, 2011, 02:59:04 PM

I PICKED THEM FOR PUNCHING PURPOSES THE MANTIES I SWEAR
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8285 on: July 23, 2011, 03:53:57 PM

Their glorious pink manties.  Heart

The RAEG is a little understandable, I take it to be bitterness that WoW still doesn't have this fucking awesome feature. I can only assume it's because the art department would cry if people elected NOT to wear some of their hideous creations.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8286 on: July 23, 2011, 04:03:20 PM

You aren't ascribing enough evil to them.  Armor is an important part of their skinner box.  Giving you an appearance tab is like letting you pull a lever where the food always comes out from their point of view.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8287 on: July 23, 2011, 04:17:28 PM

I'm still against the appearance tabs without first subjecting the people who receive them to a battery of tests, including IQ, EQ, and an age limit.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8288 on: July 23, 2011, 04:29:21 PM

I'm still against the appearance tabs without first subjecting the people who receive them to a battery of tests, including IQ, EQ, and an age limit.

But what about my Neon Dye?!  why so serious?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8289 on: July 23, 2011, 04:35:23 PM

Ingmar doesn't want me to play a hot dude in this game, I can't imagine why that is. :(

Because at least according to your druid's track record, you make an irresistible dude to the local female population.

edit: and WoW lacks an appearance tab for the same reason you can't turn off shoulders: the art team would be suicidal if they suddenly found out we only wore outfits designed 3 art teams ago.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:38:05 PM by kildorn »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8290 on: July 23, 2011, 04:45:06 PM

Because at least according to your druid's track record, you make an irresistible dude to the local female population.

My BE paladin is even MORE popular with the ladies, if you can believe it. Especially ladies that are also playing BE dudes.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8291 on: July 23, 2011, 04:59:48 PM

edit: and WoW lacks an appearance tab for the same reason you can't turn off shoulders: the art team would be suicidal if they suddenly found out we only wore outfits designed 3 art teams ago.

I don't think many people would cry if the current WoW art team went out back and shot themselves.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8292 on: July 23, 2011, 05:12:22 PM

Uhh it doesn't?  I was talking about how an appearance tab is better than the CoX costume system where gear doesn't have any looks at all.
Ah, since you said supehero i thought you were also including the system from that DC Universe Online thing or whatever it's called, which is basically LotRO-like with the appearance slots and items having their own looks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:16:31 PM by tmp »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8293 on: July 23, 2011, 05:37:56 PM

I don't think many people would cry if the current WoW art team went out back and shot themselves.

I might just throw a party.  Even the DK and Warlock stuff is looking pretty bad.  How do you fuck up skulls and spikes?!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8294 on: July 23, 2011, 05:38:43 PM

I might just throw a party.  Even the DK and Warlock stuff is looking pretty bad.  How do you fuck up skulls and spikes?!

Put them in WoW circa 2011?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: