Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102399 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7875 on: July 17, 2011, 01:06:51 PM

Thanks for the links, all who threw me PMs.  I was too late to get in on the vids as EA had already smacked them offline.

Regarding SWOR's budget - it would include other things, like those licensing royalties, toolset development / licenses (BioWare had tapped Perpetual Studios toolset as their MMO engine before moving at least in part to the Hero Engine) and possibly a ton of prototyping.

If the impression was given that SWOR was so important that money was no object, it would be very possible for budgets to be blown wide open on a title that is (allegedly) filled with enough content for 8 games.

Your mention of the Hero Engine made me remember the now-dead Hero's Journey MMO so I went investigating.  Apparently Bioware only licensed the HE for the ability to some of their tools, but aren't actually running on HE itself.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7876 on: July 17, 2011, 01:41:22 PM

You can pretty much decide if you are likely to enjoy the game on that basis.
Well, sure, but there are many more fine points than that, which we can't talk about.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7877 on: July 18, 2011, 11:39:34 AM

I've watched those videos, and must have missed the various 'fine points' that aren't equally visible on the developer walk through videos.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7878 on: July 18, 2011, 12:31:06 PM

I've watched those videos, and must have missed the various 'fine points' that aren't equally visible on the developer walk through videos.

True.  However some of the beta tester Q&A's they have on that same site go into some details about various things that haven't been discussed.  I had to avoid reading any of that stuff though when I saw that they put massive story spoilers in with everything else without any sort of warning.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:32:11 AM by Velorath »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7879 on: July 18, 2011, 01:14:22 PM

I'm trying to boycott the leaks. I know I'm going to play it, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it quite a bit, even if it ends up devolving into standard mmo tripe at some point. No point on spoiling it, too.

I did peek at the full companion list. Keeping it to officially released infos (out of Daniel's mouth when playing with Blizz); I wonder how big of an impact the kits will have. He made it sound like putting different kits on the companions would change their roles, like dropping a medic kit on Blizz would make him a healer (I think that was the example he gave). I hope that's still the case.

And to echo something I said in the Rift subforum, playing Rift is really making me wary about going into another locked-role system. Since story isn't (apparently) affected by Advanced Class, there should really be cheap respecs and the ability to use a role system like Rift to switch up on the fly, beyond what you can (supposedly) do with companions.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7880 on: July 18, 2011, 01:31:34 PM

massive story spoilers in with everything else without any sort of warning.

Incidentally, this is also exactly why beta has no attraction at all for me.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7881 on: July 18, 2011, 02:03:43 PM

Same with me. Massive story spoilers and half finished game play hold no attraction at all. I didn't even apply.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7882 on: July 18, 2011, 02:37:48 PM

Did they ever give a release date?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7883 on: July 18, 2011, 02:42:38 PM

internet meme- soon.jpg

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7884 on: July 18, 2011, 02:43:11 PM

And to echo something I said in the Rift subforum, playing Rift is really making me wary about going into another locked-role system. Since story isn't (apparently) affected by Advanced Class, there should really be cheap respecs and the ability to use a role system like Rift to switch up on the fly, beyond what you can (supposedly) do with companions.

The thing that doesn't worry me about this, is that unlike other mmogs, I can't really concieve of being tied to a main in SWTOR. The whole point being to play through the 8 stories means having a bus load of alts. Fuck all endgames.

OTOH, it looks a lot like advanced class choices are actually all solo spec vs group spec. I can't really imagine that Juggernaughts/Sorcerers/Operatives etc are not prefered in groups and less strong solo than Assassins/Snipers/Whatever etc. Which will probably be annoying.

2011. They'd have been more specific by now if they meant August or September. So Q4 2011.

I can't imagine they want this to get lost in christmas noise, so if I were to guess I'd say late October.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:46:32 PM by eldaec »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #7885 on: July 18, 2011, 02:54:52 PM

It's november. Razor goofed and released the date, and that's what most were suspecting anyway.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7886 on: July 18, 2011, 03:38:12 PM

EA hedged their bets in an earnings call and admitted it may slip to 2012, so don't get your hopes up.

And yes, there are discussion points not covered by leaks, lots of them. Is anyone really surprised by that?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7887 on: July 18, 2011, 04:36:12 PM

It's november. Razor goofed and released the date, and that's what most were suspecting anyway.

He was talking about their products and he said "hopefully november" after implying they were trying to match dates with SWTOR.   From RAZOR's point of view anything but november is probably a disaster though.   Earlier than Nov would be bad for them for sure.  That said though it sure looks like november.   I guess nobody told EA that using a release date near D3's probable release is fucking crazy.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7888 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:03 PM

Developers should want to release these types of games in the Fall. WoW launched in November. WAR was in September. DAOC was in October. It would make sense to have SWTOR in November. Holidays and everyone's stopped going outside for the summer.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7889 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:00 PM

I don't think that really needs to be said. Mid-november is the traditional holiday release window, they want to hit it. Will they? Remains to be seen.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7890 on: July 18, 2011, 05:12:00 PM

He was talking about their products and he said "hopefully november" after implying they were trying to match dates with SWTOR.   From RAZOR's point of view anything but november is probably a disaster though.   Earlier than Nov would be bad for them for sure.  That said though it sure looks like november.   I guess nobody told EA that using a release date near D3's probable release is fucking crazy.

You think it will slip to Q2 2012?  Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7891 on: July 18, 2011, 05:26:04 PM

No, EA said it may slip to Q1 2012 at the latest. They've got to be applying immense pressure on bioware austin to make 2011, though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7892 on: July 18, 2011, 05:32:51 PM

I figure it's going to be out Q1 2012 at the latest, regardless of how done it is or isn't.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #7893 on: July 19, 2011, 04:24:47 AM

I figure it's going to be out Q1 2012 at the latest, regardless of how done it is or isn't.

This, I'll be shocked if this comes out 2011
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #7894 on: July 19, 2011, 06:45:47 AM

I'm trying to boycott the leaks. I know I'm going to play it, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it quite a bit, even if it ends up devolving into standard mmo tripe at some point. No point on spoiling it, too.

I did peek at the full companion list. Keeping it to officially released infos (out of Daniel's mouth when playing with Blizz); I wonder how big of an impact the kits will have. He made it sound like putting different kits on the companions would change their roles, like dropping a medic kit on Blizz would make him a healer (I think that was the example he gave). I hope that's still the case.

From what I have gleaned that is indeed how the kits work. Also I think the kits for the more unique looking companions such as the jawa influences their look although this may be a different item. The humanoid companions also can accept normal gear to improve them and to change their looks where droids/jawa/non standard humanoids have specialty gear upgrades for them.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7895 on: July 19, 2011, 09:20:16 AM

~Reputable websites~ are now reporting the pre-order bonus leak and box art.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/07/19/rumor-polish-retailer-leaks-swtor-pre-order-info/

The wording presumably means all energy weapons get colour crystals, not just jedi, which is kind if neat I guess. Dress up is important etcetera.

Honestly this NDA is reaching the stage where Bioware need to just say 'fuck it' because it is becoming laughable.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7896 on: July 19, 2011, 09:31:03 AM

Is there any reason why someone who hasn't entered into a non-disclosure agreement with EA (that is to say pretty much everyone here, I assume) isn't blabbing all the details for me to read without having to go to another site? It's an NDA that we're not a party to, not a death-pact to keep secrets from the Nazis.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7897 on: July 19, 2011, 09:36:50 AM

The wording presumably means all energy weapons get colour crystals, not just jedi, which is kind if neat I guess. Dress up is important etcetera.

All items get stat "slots" and have no stats themselves from what I understood.   Better quality items slowly get more slots or something.   I can't seem to remember where I read this for some reason.

Also you forgot the good pic:

I spy 4 DVD discs.   why so serious?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:39:23 AM by Amaron »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7898 on: July 19, 2011, 09:39:51 AM

Is there any reason why someone who hasn't entered into a non-disclosure agreement with EA (that is to say pretty much everyone here, I assume) isn't blabbing all the details for me to read without having to go to another site? It's an NDA that we're not a party to, not a death-pact to keep secrets from the Nazis.

We don't do that here. 

This item is not up for discussion. 

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7899 on: July 19, 2011, 09:50:55 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7900 on: July 19, 2011, 09:59:26 AM

If that's what's in the Collector's Edition, I'm getting that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7901 on: July 19, 2011, 09:59:57 AM

Actually the full install set is about 15 discs.

SWTOR's install size is 138 Gb or so I heard.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7902 on: July 19, 2011, 10:01:36 AM

I'm also shocked that EA have resisted the temptation stuff 8 class specific cheat mode weapons into that box.

EDIT: Oh silly me I missed the very last bullet point on the list.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #7903 on: July 19, 2011, 10:03:14 AM

~Reputable websites~ are now reporting the pre-order bonus leak and box art.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/07/19/rumor-polish-retailer-leaks-swtor-pre-order-info/

So, are there any happy looking sith? Like, even smugly happy, or grinning cause they just killed an enemy or something.

I dunno why that was the first thing that came to me when I saw that box art, but there you go.

Edit: Fucking there and their. Gets me every time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:34:13 AM by Ashamanchill »

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7904 on: July 19, 2011, 10:06:47 AM

Fuck.  Bullet-point six is the one that'll get me to buy this.  Damn them all.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7905 on: July 19, 2011, 10:09:35 AM

First thing that came to my mind from the art was 'why is neo-Bastilla's lightsaber hilt both longer and thicker than her forearm? I mean, wielding that thing must cause severe cramp in the abductor pollicis brevis'.

But the happy Sith thing is good too.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #7906 on: July 19, 2011, 10:12:08 AM

Seriously? Jesus.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7907 on: July 19, 2011, 10:12:53 AM

Fuck.  Bullet-point six is the one that'll get me to buy this.  Damn them all.

The mouse droid is good but I can't decide if access to the cheat mode store nullifies the cool factor it would have.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7908 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:35 AM

Seriously? Jesus.

Someone here has confirmed it independently with two friends they have in beta.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7909 on: July 19, 2011, 10:25:10 AM

Not this again.  You are an evil man, eldaec.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: