Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102426 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7595 on: June 27, 2011, 03:00:44 PM

It was not, no.  It was, however, a testbed and you can bet that its lessons will be spread throughout the EAverse, including sub games.   They'll start small and when they learn what will make sub players bitch but not flee and they'll begin expanding it quickly.  

I was reading about it a bit and honestly it sounds more like they went from free to play to psuedo-subscription by sort of forcing you to rent important stuff.    I'm curious how they'll translate that but knowing EA they'll do it with incompetence and end up with the worst policies possible.    Either way I'm still not too worried.   Sparkle ponies made millions.    Probably the sparkle pony all by itself made more money than any F2P MT game has ever made over a similar time period.    It would be 10 kinds of crazy to risk losing that sort of easy money to test a pay2win scheme.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7596 on: June 27, 2011, 04:58:11 PM

It would be 10 kinds of crazy to risk losing that sort of easy money to test a pay2win scheme.

E.A.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7597 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:29 PM

E.A.

That's true.  E.A. is very good at fucking up game development.   In general though they aren't quite that fail at milking people for money.   A pay2win SWTOR would make shit for money compared to subscription + sparkle ponies.   I don't doubt they could try it of course.   I just think in general they have the shining example of WoW and they are simply going to try and steal some of that pie first.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7598 on: June 28, 2011, 05:08:40 AM

Imma wait until it actually happens to get my panties wadded up about it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7599 on: June 28, 2011, 06:46:10 AM

Imma wait until it actually happens to get my panties wadded up about it.

You sure you don't want to miss out on some good F13 panty twisting?  I mean, we should all take little details and blow them completely out of proportion. 
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7600 on: June 28, 2011, 07:19:25 AM

Putting RMT in your game just makes me compare the prices of virtual crap to actual games I could be buying. RMT trinkets invariably lose and I just chuck the whole shitty game and go play something else. SWTOR is dead to me if that happens. Dead.

the panties do nothing
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7601 on: June 28, 2011, 08:10:52 AM

Putting RMT in your game just makes me compare the prices of virtual crap to actual games I could be buying. RMT trinkets invariably lose and I just chuck the whole shitty game and go play something else. SWTOR is dead to me if that happens. Dead.

the panties do nothing

I wouldnt even bother buying the game. I'll call it right now, day one RMT

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7602 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:18 AM

And the panty twisting continues...
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7603 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:05 AM

It doesn't count when its Lakov.  He panty twists about everything.  I'm not sure how he goes about his daily life really.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7604 on: June 28, 2011, 10:10:05 AM

the panties do nothing

So what MMOs do you play?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7605 on: June 28, 2011, 10:16:44 AM

It doesn't count when its Lakov.  He panty twists about everything.  I'm not sure how he goes about his daily life really.

How's rift doing these days, f2p yet?

I wouldnt even bother buying the game. I'll call it right now, day one RMT
  "should read "I wouldn't bother if I were you"  Because I personally am buying this game rmt or not.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7606 on: June 28, 2011, 10:49:36 AM

So what MMOs do you play?

None at the moment.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7607 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:54 AM

It doesn't count when its Lakov.  He panty twists about everything.  I'm not sure how he goes about his daily life really.

How's rift doing these days, f2p yet?

That's just a bad attempt man.  I'll let you try again.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7608 on: June 28, 2011, 12:21:22 PM

I'm going to buy it. I didn't buy Rift.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7609 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:33 PM

I didn't buy Rift.
It's definitely worth $10!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7610 on: June 28, 2011, 01:30:51 PM

I didn't buy Rift.
It's definitely worth $10!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rift was the first MMO I bought where I wish I could have gotten my money back.  It just did nothing for me., and this is from someone who played WAR for over a year.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7611 on: June 28, 2011, 01:42:17 PM

I don't see how the 2 games equate.  Unless you're admitting to playing something you thought sucked for an entire year.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7612 on: June 28, 2011, 01:52:43 PM

I played Rift. I did the Beta. It confused me with all the options and shit. Plus the story was ass, so I didn't buy it.

I say I'll buy SWTOR but if I get in the beta and it's crap, I would bail. Probably a solid reason to NOT let me in a beta.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7613 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:32 PM

Not letting us in beta is definitely a good way to maximize the f13 revenue.  Of course, even if there are giant warning sirens going off all over the place, 90% of the folks here having second thoughts will still buy it.

-Rasix
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7614 on: June 28, 2011, 02:05:17 PM

Eh? Obviously they're going to drop the NDA closer to release, and there will be lots of NDA breakage as the testing volume expands. You'll hear all you could possibly want to hear about the game. They'll probably have a stress test also. There'll be a swtorhead and allakaswtor and swtor.curse.com and SWTOR Insider. Some guy with a lisp will livecast the beta on justin.tv as he levels up to 50.

You won't go into SWTOR sight-unseen unless you really want to.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:07:36 PM by sam, an eggplant »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7615 on: June 28, 2011, 02:12:20 PM

Watching someone play WoW when it came out didn't do me any good, though. In fact, watching any MMO that's ever come out in the history of time has always left me with the same impression of "wow, that's terrible."

Playing it, however, is something else. It's not terrible when it's your moisture farms out there on the planet.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7616 on: June 28, 2011, 02:17:46 PM

Watching someone play WoW when it came out didn't do me any good, though. In fact, watching any MMO that's ever come out in the history of time has always left me with the same impression of "wow, that's terrible."

Playing it, however, is something else. It's not terrible when it's your moisture farms out there on the planet.

I was totally different, coming from DAOC and just watching some guy's feed wandering around in Elwynn Forest, doing quests, killing spiders, etc., made me go "holy shit that looks so much better."

SWTOR isn't quite giving me the same feeling, but I'm still just about certain I'll enjoy it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7617 on: June 28, 2011, 02:32:38 PM

This has been my experience, by and large, as well. 

SWTOR *sounds* a lot better than it looks to me.  And what people have said about playing it and the feel they get sounds much more promising to me than the actual gameplay videos (for example, Penny Arcade write up).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7618 on: June 28, 2011, 04:37:42 PM

My new MMOG test model is "can it survive the first 3 months with polish and thrive?"

If it can, it will live. If not, it will die a slow painful death and I will know it after the first month, never to return. The last time that happened was WAR.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7619 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:18 PM

Bought Rift on the recommendations of some people here, Meh.

Will certainly buy SWTOR.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7620 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:36 PM

Putting RMT in your game just makes me compare the prices of virtual crap to actual games I could be buying. RMT trinkets invariably lose and I just chuck the whole shitty game and go play something else.

Does that include stuff like sparkle ponies or are you talking about stuff that matters?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7621 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:07 PM

Rift > Aion > SWTOR

All three still very bad.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7622 on: June 29, 2011, 03:03:05 AM

Putting RMT in your game just makes me compare the prices of virtual crap to actual games I could be buying. RMT trinkets invariably lose and I just chuck the whole shitty game and go play something else.

Does that include stuff like sparkle ponies or are you talking about stuff that matters?

I suppose it comes down to whether the sparkle pony takes resources away from subscriber stuff. In case of WoW, copy pasting gear graphics is/was rampant, and that was indeed one of the reasons I quit.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7623 on: June 29, 2011, 03:24:27 AM

I suppose it comes down to whether the sparkle pony takes resources away from subscriber stuff. In case of WoW, copy pasting gear graphics is/was rampant, and that was indeed one of the reasons I quit.

I am very confused.  Don't sparkle ponies generate resources?  Also thank god this is F13 or we'd already be drowning in pony image macros.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7624 on: June 29, 2011, 03:40:31 AM

Rift > Aion > SWTOR

All three still very bad.

And you know this how?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7625 on: June 29, 2011, 03:43:19 AM

It's Hoax, he doesn't ever know anything he just asserts it very strongly.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #7626 on: June 29, 2011, 03:56:40 AM

I am very confused.  Don't sparkle ponies generate resources?  Also thank god this is F13 or we'd already be drowning in pony image macros.

Yeah, more resources to the profit margin.

"What do you mean build more content? They got the sparkle pony, that's content!"

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7627 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:02 AM

Sparkle ponies generate revenue. Whether or not the company decides to apply that money to actual development resources and production of future product is a question for the upper management and the lifetime of the game itself.

Right now, I think the general consensus is that they are applying that revenue to development of other projects and are milking the cash cow while they can before they cannibalize their game.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7628 on: June 29, 2011, 10:34:56 AM

It's Hoax, he doesn't ever know anything he just asserts it very strongly.

Hey look I'm sure that there will be people who like star wars but aren't fanboi enough to be insulted by the fact that there is an off tank jedi class and a buffing jedi class AND who want to play what is essentially a half baked single player RPG with other people despite the fact that the combat systems are unresponsive diku drivel (same as they ever are) because they like being able to auto attack and auto pilot AND don't care that lewtz really aren't as cool in a scifi let alone star wars setting.

Those people might like it more than Aion. Really though who is watching 10 minutes of gameplay and thinking: "can't wait to buy it!"

What the fuck is the appeal? That they are shoving a square IP into a round hole? It has SW music? Laser swords?

*edit* this video was what sealed it for me, its not trying to pan the game at all but just look at it, what the fuck is exciting about that combat? How does it not look like <generic_mmo> reskinned with Star Wars trappings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL4il3SZ_Hc

I dare someone to say that this game is worth playing because we have 3 dialogue options during quests. I fucking dare you.  Mob
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:40:53 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #7629 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:46 AM

The game is worth buying for the dialogue options. Options are good. You are insane.

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: