Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102269 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7105 on: June 14, 2011, 02:38:32 PM

Amaron: the fact that the gear is blue is meaningless. Gear stats are purely based off of ilvl now (as of Cataclysm) in WoW, so purple 346s would be no different from blue 346s if they existed.

That's sort of beside the point.   It was still shitty gear.   They removed the concept of getting entry level raid gear as drops from the last boss.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #7106 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:29 PM

Why stop there? Why not have a challenging solo/duo/trio progression?

That would be a solo game. People will take the path of least resistance. When they made the dungeons in LOTRO optional solo, that was it, it was impossible to find anyone to do them other than solo. And hasn't 10/25 gear equalization effectively killed WoW 25 man raiding?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7107 on: June 14, 2011, 02:41:50 PM

Amaron: the fact that the gear is blue is meaningless. Gear stats are purely based off of ilvl now (as of Cataclysm) in WoW, so purple 346s would be no different from blue 346s if they existed.

That's sort of beside the point.   It was still shitty gear.   They removed the concept of getting entry level raid gear as drops from the last boss.

The gear is as good as you need to do the content and start the 'next' tier of content, and those final fights do still drop the chaos orbs you need to craft the starter tier of raid gear (and gave you faction needed for the 359s at the top of the various factions as well.) The problem was entirely difficulty, not what was dropped. (And the difficulty issue has largely been fixed.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7108 on: June 14, 2011, 02:43:14 PM

That would be a solo game. People will take the path of least resistance. When they made the dungeons in LOTRO optional solo, that was it, it was impossible to find anyone to do them other than solo. And hasn't 10/25 gear equalization effectively killed WoW 25 man raiding?
If people don't want to raid, then why bother putting in raids?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7109 on: June 14, 2011, 02:45:52 PM

If people don't want to raid, then why bother putting in raids?

If you gave people items for free upon login they wouldn't play the solo content either.  Why make content at all?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7110 on: June 14, 2011, 02:51:13 PM

I'm sure people won't want to use their shinies to kill stuff harder.   Ohhhhh, I see. People like progression.  An entire genre is built upon it.  Game sell rather well, too.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7111 on: June 14, 2011, 02:52:22 PM

I'm sure people won't want to use their shinies to kill stuff harder.   Ohhhhh, I see. People like progression.  An entire genre is built upon it.  Game sell rather well, too.

I think the prospect of progression keeps people playing a lot more than the actual progression.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7112 on: June 14, 2011, 03:13:49 PM

Found this on Reddit:

Hey folks,

There will be, at launch, five unique companion characters per class. Plus your resident butler/crafting/welcome home droid on the ship which is different per faction.

That means over forty CCs in the game with more than a dozen romances, intricate plotlines and hundreds of hours of development. Plus some surprises including a character with 100% different story content and skills depending on how you brought them into your party, one with drastically different forms, etc.

That’s as specific as I can be without spoilers but they’re deep, fun, and you can do a great deal with them. There is no limit to how many CCs you can possibly have in the long run and there is a reason you have far more slots than there are revealed CCs.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6802595#edit6802595

5 per class isn't bad.  The romances make my eyes role, but whatever.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7113 on: June 14, 2011, 03:19:47 PM

And hasn't 10/25 gear equalization effectively killed WoW 25 man raiding?

No. DIFFICULTY equalization killed 25 man raiding.   Ten man raiding is basically harder than 25 man raiding when they are of equal difficulty.   Simply because there is no slack.  Yet at the same time it's easier to put a group together for it so some people see it as easier since they think that is part of the difficulty.  If they had simply manned up and kept 25 man raiding as harder but kept the gear equalization then 25 man raiding would still exist.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7114 on: June 14, 2011, 03:20:43 PM

Even if it was completely different content? Don't even bother scaling them up or down, just make separate dungeons for each group size.

edit; and while I'm at it my fairyland MMO would stop at 10 people. Any more than that is just a headache.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7115 on: June 14, 2011, 03:22:03 PM

The romances make my eyes role, but whatever.
Hey, they had to make a separate forum sub-section for ME3 just to contain the romance folks in their own ghetto. Don't underestimate that factor when it comes to BioWare audience. why so serious?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7116 on: June 14, 2011, 03:24:33 PM

Edit: Woops wrong thread.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:29:29 PM by Amaron »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7117 on: June 14, 2011, 03:26:37 PM

Found this on Reddit:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6802595#edit6802595

5 per class isn't bad.  The romances make my eyes role, but whatever.

Wait... Hold on... you are saying I get my own droid BUTLER? Holy shit please tell me I can name him Benson

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7118 on: June 14, 2011, 03:31:15 PM

He will probably require at least two digits in the name. So maybe B3ns0n.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7119 on: June 14, 2011, 03:46:33 PM

It would be nice if we could get Bat Country on the same server as other folks guilds here, but that could be complicated if Bioware does a lot of shit to fragment the servers (RP, PVP, regional, etc).

Good thing is that unless word of mouth has this game pegged as absolute garbage, there should be a critical mass of people playing at launch.  Probably more than we've seen for any game yet.
At some point we're supposed to be able to assign opposition guilds.  If more than one is allowed I don't see why our little personal guilds couldn't designate Bat Country as opposition and end up on the same server.  At least those willing to be on an RP server.  Maybe a PvP chapter could be made for those that are partial to that style, since we have a few of those players, too.

I'd kill an ewok to not have to server hop.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7120 on: June 14, 2011, 03:52:07 PM

Hey, they had to make a separate forum sub-section for ME3 just to contain the romance folks in their own ghetto. Don't underestimate that factor when it comes to BioWare audience. why so serious?

I don't know why people always act surprised or whatever when it comes to Bioware games and romances. They've been doing it since at least BG2 and people have loved it and wanted more of them ever since.

Really, I'm surprised Bioware hasn't gone full steam ahead and just made a westernized dating sim. It would make BANK. No Question.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7121 on: June 14, 2011, 03:53:42 PM

Really, I'm surprised Bioware hasn't gone full steam ahead and just made a westernized dating sim. It would make BANK. No Question.
Their community manager would blow a gasket.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7122 on: June 14, 2011, 03:55:27 PM

I don't know why people always act surprised or whatever when it comes to Bioware games and romances. They've been doing it since at least BG2 and people have loved it and wanted more of them ever since.

I'm not surprised its in there, its just whenever I've seen those parts of Bioware's games it seems forced and awkward, they generally just make me feel vaguely uncomfortable.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7123 on: June 14, 2011, 03:58:08 PM

I'm not surprised its in there, its just whenever I've seen those parts of Bioware's games it seems forced and awkward, they generally just make me feel vaguely uncomfortable.

I can agree with what they've done lately.  The Bastila romance in Kotor felt fully a part of the story though.   From what I remember the ending was pretty much far less dramatic if you didn't engage in it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7124 on: June 14, 2011, 06:14:23 PM

At some point we're supposed to be able to assign opposition guilds.  If more than one is allowed I don't see why our little personal guilds couldn't designate Bat Country as opposition and end up on the same server.  At least those willing to be on an RP server.  Maybe a PvP chapter could be made for those that are partial to that style, since we have a few of those players, too.
I figured we'd launch with BC and set up the Republic guild ASAP on the server we're tossed onto. But I do think that if some folks here have other guilds they intend to play with, that they encourage them to set up BC as an ally/opposition in hope that we all get sent to the same server (as you say, assuming ruleset compatibility).

One thing Daniel let slip about my boy (?) Blizz: with the cheated-up Bounty Hunter he was using on Tatooine (lvl25 iic) he said he wouldn't normally have access to Blizz at that point in the story, so some stuff will be a long time in the coming.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7125 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:56 PM

I can agree with what they've done lately.  The Bastila romance in Kotor felt fully a part of the story though.   From what I remember the ending was pretty much far less dramatic if you didn't engage in it.

Yea, that was better done than recent stuff in my experience.  Now a days its kind of "Choose which awkwardly animated sex scene you'd like to play"
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7126 on: June 14, 2011, 07:18:47 PM

The Allistair Romance to DA:O is pretty much on par with the Bastila romance in KOTOR, in terms of story importance and emotional impact.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7127 on: June 14, 2011, 07:32:00 PM

Their community manager would blow a gasket.
Actually SomethingAwful did a pretty terrifying weekend web a couple weeks ago pulling posts off of bioware's site, don't click that link unless you want to be depressed.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7128 on: June 14, 2011, 07:44:32 PM

Yea, none of that is remotely shocking or surprising.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7129 on: June 14, 2011, 08:09:32 PM

Oh man, i thought that Tali sweat thing was urban legend. At the least i didn't expect charts.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7130 on: June 14, 2011, 08:13:57 PM

Oh man, i thought that Tali sweat thing was urban legend. At the least i didn't expect charts.

My favorite thing was the quote a few pages in that was something like "Sometimes being obsessively in love with a fictional character makes me feel so....superior..."  awesome, for real
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #7131 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:19 PM

ACK!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7132 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:04 PM

Are you all new to the internet, or humanity in general?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7133 on: June 14, 2011, 08:36:37 PM

Yeah, that link was more amusing than depressing.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7134 on: June 14, 2011, 08:38:45 PM

The Alistair romance >>> Bastila romance for me, personally. It's like I'm a straight woman or something! You could also argue the Morrigan romance is pretty well entwined, although not quite to the degree of Alistair. The Mass Effect romances are generally pretty yawn, though. I skip them a lot of the time.

The lady romances have been either boring or crazy (although I <3 Isabela in DA2) since KotOR, I guess, but the male romantic interests in Dragon Age have been refreshingly not-shitty, and even the Mass Effect dudes more have the problem of Lady Shep sounding like a creepy sexual harrasser when she talks to them than anything else (although, Jacob and Carth Kaiden are victims of being human in a space game + being the WELL ADJUSTED DUDE which winds up being pretty boring).

God Save the Horn Players
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7135 on: June 15, 2011, 03:29:53 AM

Oh man, Bastila. Yum. My number one video game hottie of all time. The hell with all those half-naked giant-tittied hoes in other games. Romance her and then turn to the Dark Side with her.

"I will be uttuhly yours, mastah!"

Fuck. Yessssssssss.  awesome, for real

You can actually take the prissy love interest and turn her into some kind of evil bloodthirsty black-clad bondage whore. And then team up with her to kill all those pussy Jedi and take over the universe. Those are real things that can really happen in the game. I loved KOTOR so much. So much. If I could have just murdered Carth in some sort of horrible way it would have been perfect, though butchering his son before his eyes was a decent consolation prize. This SWTOR shit can't possibly be as good.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:32:33 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #7136 on: June 15, 2011, 04:07:21 AM

Oh man, Bastila. Yum. My number one video game hottie of all time. The hell with all those half-naked giant-tittied hoes in other games. Romance her and then turn to the Dark Side with her.

"I will be uttuhly yours, mastah!"

Fuck. Yessssssssss.  awesome, for real

You can actually take the prissy love interest and turn her into some kind of evil bloodthirsty black-clad bondage whore. And then team up with her to kill all those pussy Jedi and take over the universe. Those are real things that can really happen in the game. I loved KOTOR so much. So much. If I could have just murdered Carth in some sort of horrible way it would have been perfect, though butchering his son before his eyes was a decent consolation prize. This SWTOR shit can't possibly be as good.

Oh but what you miss here is that Carth is the perfect womens Bastila. The ideal pet and plaything for a female Revan ruling the galaxy!
Especially after the butch-but-dopey apprentice didn't work out. You know Carth would never backstab you...

Instead of being forced to kill him, I'd wish for the option to capture and torture him, break his will until he loves the evil you. Happy Ending!  Heart

Cala

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7137 on: June 15, 2011, 04:21:17 AM

Future is cloudy, I see.  Dark path this thread is headed down.  Hmm?   ACK!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7138 on: June 15, 2011, 04:31:49 AM

"Captain, someone mentioned SomethingAwful in the thread!  It's getting derailed into hell!"

"Bullocks!  Fire some fresh content into it!"

SWTOR Dev Clarifies "High Scale Beta"

"Steady as she goes, Mr. Norton."

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #7139 on: June 15, 2011, 06:00:31 AM

Look, windup started it! I was just going with the crowd. this guy looks legit

On-topic:

Apperently one can get paid for trolling. It's called being an analyst:

Analyst calls SWTOR a “highly derivative” clone of WoW and likely to miss 2011

“We got hands-on time with the game, and were largely unimpressed,” stated Creutz. “Despite promises from EA/Bioware that the title represents a major step forward in MMO design, what we saw was essentially a World of Warcraft clone with Star Wars character skins and the BioWare RPG nice/nasty dialogue tree mechanism bolted on for non-player character conversations.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: