Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102043 times)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2310 on: September 14, 2009, 01:51:01 PM

My bunny icon is all the cred I need, baby.

God Save the Horn Players
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2311 on: September 14, 2009, 01:52:05 PM

It's a good idea to go ahead and decry the game now in public since it's pretty easy to just have a secret subscription to it later.  However, if you hump its leg now and it turns out to suck... well, there goes your f13.cred down the shitter.

Lol, I think your on to something. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2312 on: September 14, 2009, 02:15:40 PM

While we're at it, I've never really gotten the hate on instancing and quests.

Is this just I HATE EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T A LORD OF THE FLIES SANDBOX?

From my point of view, the general problem is that the MMO genre seems to have the potential for the really cool experience of creating a character in a world, and interacting with other characters.  Your story is created by what you do, the players you meet, and the interaction between the two.  Of course, this sort of idealized version of the sandbox MMO doesn't really exist as near as I can tell, even though I do admit I'm sympathetic towards that ideal.  As neat as it is to imagine having your character out in the woods for a month, scraping by, killing stuff, collecting stuff to craft, etc.  The reality is that MMO game mechanics don't reward this kind of behavior, you are encouraged to AoE grind mobs, or farm, or whatever, rather than attempt to live a "realistic" (by which I mean, realistic by the standards of the game lore, obviously it isn't going to be realistic). 

I think its that ideal that makes people long for something besides quests, which just railroad you to max level, or instances, which remove you from the game world where you can have meaningful interaction with other players.  The sad thing is, that kind of thing never happens anyway.  Its not necessarily a roleplay thing (at least from what RP tends to mean in MMOs these days, which is more about standing around talking, than really only taking actions that your character would take)  but hoping for a game that rewards behaving like a person living in that world would actually live.

Let me put it this way, its a really alluring idea, but i've yet to see it realized, especially in an MMO. (more in private persistant world servers in NWN maybe, or in RP muds, than anything in an MMO).  Theme parks aren't nearly so sexy in their design, but they do actually produce genuinely fun gameplay a lot more, in my opinion.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2313 on: September 14, 2009, 02:29:44 PM

From my point of view, the general problem is that the MMO genre seems to have the potential for the really cool experience of creating a character in a world, and interacting with other characters.  Your story is created by what you do, the players you meet, and the interaction between the two.  Of course, this sort of idealized version of the sandbox MMO doesn't really exist as near as I can tell, even though I do admit I'm sympathetic towards that ideal.  As neat as it is to imagine having your character out in the woods for a month, scraping by, killing stuff, collecting stuff to craft, etc.  The reality is that MMO game mechanics don't reward this kind of behavior, you are encouraged to AoE grind mobs, or farm, or whatever, rather than attempt to live a "realistic" (by which I mean, realistic by the standards of the game lore, obviously it isn't going to be realistic). 

I think its that ideal that makes people long for something besides quests, which just railroad you to max level, or instances, which remove you from the game world where you can have meaningful interaction with other players.  The sad thing is, that kind of thing never happens anyway.  Its not necessarily a roleplay thing (at least from what RP tends to mean in MMOs these days, which is more about standing around talking, than really only taking actions that your character would take)  but hoping for a game that rewards behaving like a person living in that world would actually live.

Let me put it this way, its a really alluring idea, but i've yet to see it realized, especially in an MMO. (more in private persistant world servers in NWN maybe, or in RP muds, than anything in an MMO).  Theme parks aren't nearly so sexy in their design, but they do actually produce genuinely fun gameplay a lot more, in my opinion.

Quiet you!  I wish to gather 4 other people so we can run the Tomb of Exar Kun again so I can get my desired tanking weapon, Hardest Green Lightsaber Evar!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2314 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:30 PM

There's still your UO, AtitD, EVE, if you want it.

Even FE.

Stop buying level based grind-em-ups if that isn't what you want.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2315 on: September 14, 2009, 04:20:43 PM

There's still your UO, AtitD, EVE, if you want it.

Even FE.

Stop buying level based grind-em-ups if that isn't what you want.

You miss my point.  In the context of that post, I was answering the question why do people get hostile towards quests and instances.  i think thats why, and I only partially agree myself.

Frankly, running instances in WoW with friends ends up being MORE fun than playing (actually PLAYING, not all the forum diplomacy, etc), EVE.  Which is why it tends to be the DIKU type stuff I end up playing, even while I sit here and complain that they aren't deep enough, for the simply reaosn that even the "deep" games would only give me the kind of experience I actually want if there was a community that supported that play style (hence my mention of smaller community games, like PW NWN servers).  

Hell, I'm playing CO right now, I can't be self righteous about this, I'm just trying to explain the mentality to whoever it was that asked that original question.  I don't mind "level based grind em ups" actually, but I can't help but feel the pangs of a wasted opportunity when I see something like SWTOR being developed (for a variety of reasons that do and don't have to do with this particular discussion).

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 04:23:29 PM by Malakili »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2316 on: September 14, 2009, 05:00:27 PM

I'm honestly not sure why the animations are creating so much RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE.

They don't look like a dude holding a gun, they look like a dude pretending to hold a gun on a whose line is it anyway skit.

And that's probably insulting Ryan Stiles skill at improv.

That's putting aside the whole "My lower and upper bodies move totally independently of each other!" disease.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2317 on: September 14, 2009, 08:30:19 PM

Ehh, the independent torso/leg thing certainly look weird but it's a result of giving people option to strafe. Animation-wise they do it very much like WoW does (check around 0:30) and i have yet to see someone seriously nerdrage about WoW animation quality...

The gun holding stuff doesn't look wrong to me either. At least in the sense the character does handle it like people generally do, and i figure that power armour thing helps to deal with recoil if there's any on a lorelol laser rifle to begin with.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #2318 on: September 14, 2009, 08:38:07 PM

I'm honestly not sure why the animations are creating so much RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE.

I was actually thinking the running animations were stiff, and because I had watched the other vids of characters in action, I thought the animation overall was horrible, and extremely stiff. I also noticed the gun and stance transitions, warping and death animations on mobs.. along with the warping.

The warping and pathing was the worst thing IMO, and animation didn't bother me nearly as much as this. An alpha build, with animations this bad and warping on a demo version with popping? That's damned near everything a static mob instanced game doesn't need (see any of many examples dating back to EQ and AO).

They don't look like a dude holding a gun, they look like a dude pretending to hold a gun on a whose line is it anyway skit.

And that's probably insulting Ryan Stiles skill at improv.

That's putting aside the whole "My lower and upper bodies move totally independently of each other!" disease.

+ This.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2319 on: September 14, 2009, 08:43:10 PM

WoW torsos do not move independently of their legs. If you strafe left, the torso tilts and angles that direction as well. If you go the other direction, the torso follows. There is also a intermediate animation to fill the gap between left, middle and right.

In the SWTOR video, the Troopers torso locks onto its target, and tracks it no matter which way the legs are going.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2320 on: September 14, 2009, 08:49:23 PM

WoW torsos do not move independently of their legs. If you strafe left, the torso tilts and angles that direction as well. If you go the other direction, the torso follows. There is also a intermediate animation to fill the gap between left, middle and right.

In the SWTOR video, the Troopers torso locks onto its target, and tracks it no matter which way the legs are going.
So how does WoW handle this exact situation i.e. target being on one side while the character is being moved in another direction? Say if you strafe left and the torso is tilted to the left but the target is ahead or to the right, do ranged classes shoot auto-guiding arrows that go in an arc to account for that, or do they tilt arms separately, or what?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: September 14, 2009, 08:57:33 PM

The shots just magically seek out the target.

Its far less jarring then super twisty torso powers, since half the time your shots are auto-seeking targets that ridiculously huge or just 'miss' due to the RNG mechanics of the game. You don't generally shoot more then one or two quick instants on the move either, so the character pops off the attack animation quickly and goes back to normal strafing.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #2322 on: September 14, 2009, 09:12:57 PM

I see. Hmm now i wonder if they decided to go the other way for SWTOR because (i'd guess) having shots bend and find their way to targets would be more noticeably jarring with these dense streams of laser bolts.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #2323 on: September 14, 2009, 09:17:29 PM

Sounds like an animation equivalent of the uncanny valley.

Once you start making nods towards realism you have to go all the way or folks get cheesed off at little errors.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2324 on: September 14, 2009, 09:22:57 PM

I see. Hmm now i wonder if they decided to go the other way for SWTOR because (i'd guess) having shots bend and find their way to targets would be more noticeably jarring with these dense streams of laser bolts.

I doubt that, since they already use magic shoot seeking for all their multi-target shots.

The shots aren't making huge sweeping comedy arcs in either WoW or SWTOR, they still just straight line it to their targets.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2325 on: September 14, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

WoW shots do sometimes make silly comedy sweeps actually. I kind of think I prefer the TOR way on this, but I'd have to actually play it to know for sure.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2326 on: September 14, 2009, 10:48:52 PM

Only when you shoot someone zooming past with sprint or on a mount or something. That isn't dependent on the shooters direction. It's because the projectile animation is slower then the targets speed.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2327 on: September 14, 2009, 11:15:20 PM

No, in WoW if an attack animation has something shaking it's head/body, the projectile will weave and it will sometimes do weird things because of terrain.  I've seen it with many spells and arrows, but using a wand it is very noticable.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2328 on: September 15, 2009, 02:15:02 AM

The animations look like demo animations from an engine that lets you do independent lower and upper body animations and blend/layer them. That is to say functional, but the sort of thing that no actual programmer or animator has spent time on to make look decent as you would for a game rather than a basic feature demo.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2329 on: September 15, 2009, 06:43:45 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever MMO footage is released to the public, that's pretty much what you will see at release... statistically speaking and from memory.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2330 on: September 15, 2009, 09:28:39 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever MMO footage is released to the public, that's pretty much what you will see at release... statistically speaking and from memory.

When in doubt, WYSIWYG.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2331 on: September 15, 2009, 10:20:02 AM

I still want the original version of Tabula Rasa.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2332 on: September 15, 2009, 11:07:43 AM

Someone needs to buy that IP, remove 70% of the suck, and launch it again 1 year from now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2333 on: September 15, 2009, 11:13:55 AM

That's not what I was saying and nor would I say something like that because its incredibly stupid.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2334 on: September 15, 2009, 11:24:25 AM

Come now TR at least was trying to be successful. SWTOR is just insulting everyone while waving a used condom. No wait I meant light saber...
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2335 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:05 AM

Come now TR at least was trying to be successful. SWTOR is just insulting everyone while waving a used condom. No wait I meant light saber...

What the fuck are you talking about?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2336 on: September 15, 2009, 11:48:15 AM

What the fuck are you talking about?
It's best to never ask him that.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #2337 on: September 15, 2009, 12:23:45 PM

Isn't that just Aion without the fairy wings?  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2338 on: September 15, 2009, 01:04:01 PM

And Unicorns.  Everyone forgets the Unicorns. sad

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2339 on: September 15, 2009, 01:05:40 PM

Garriott betrayed the unicorns.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2340 on: September 15, 2009, 01:23:02 PM

And Unicorns.  Everyone forgets the Unicorns. sad

The screenshot of the pink unicorn with butterfly wings was directly responsible for me tuning out Tabula Rasa.

On another tangent, SWG claims character transfer program a success, celebrates by shuttering 12 servers.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2341 on: September 15, 2009, 03:39:04 PM

From my point of view, the general problem is that the MMO genre seems to have the potential for the really cool experience of creating a character in a world, and interacting with other characters.  Your story is created by what you do, the players you meet, and the interaction between the two. 

This is where it started. Some might say it has "devolved" down to the L4D++ games that exist today. But that wasn't by accident nor because uncreative people got hired. It's because of 14 years of evolution not only figured out how to keep these things running past launch day, they also learned who exactly is going to show up and why.

It's not because of a massive roleplay immersive D&D-inspired adventure set against the backdrop of all the goddamned walking and singing in the LoTR trilogy. It's because they tap into a very basic gamer desire to acquire, and acquire again, along the path of measurable and obvious improvement and self-validation.

You don't need to have an open-world game to do that. You can, and it's fun to create self-aware weather-affected ecosystems that magically scale an area to the people who arrive to share quests and campfire stories within. But in the end, the gamer doesn't care beyond whether they had fun interacting with the mobile content in that area. Which mostly means killing it. Whatever they bring, whatever is added as flavor, it all just contributes to playing a game, not living a virtual life.

Maybe there's a mythical market of unfulfilled roleplayers numbering in the tens of millions. But after so many years of waiting them to show up first in UO then in Underlight and now in Eve, the market pretty much assumes they don't exist smiley
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2342 on: September 15, 2009, 03:47:44 PM

We're the ones who cried out at the NGE...

The problem is still that no competent attempt without some major drawback has happened.  Fallen Earth seems to be the first, and as an indie developer, probably still not sufficient to really push the market.  If they hold out long enough, maybe they can.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2343 on: September 15, 2009, 03:50:22 PM

Maybe there's a mythical market of unfulfilled roleplayers numbering in the tens of millions.

I'd concede that there isn't a big market for this type of game, in fact, I think I sort of hinted at that in my post, when I suggest that this type of MMO could only a work if the playerbase actually played that way, which I don't think will ever happen.

But I can still dream, can't I?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2344 on: September 15, 2009, 05:03:00 PM

The problem here is very simple. Your asking video gamers to "live" in a virtual world which is about as likely as crafting being the reason for me to pay $15 for any game. The true potential of the mmo is to allow the video gamers to "play" in a virtual world. This is much different from simply meshing UO and WoW.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: