Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071795 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1015 on: May 13, 2009, 08:22:18 AM

I don't get the big deal with the Trooper name.

No one gives a shit when we call stuff Paladin or Mage instead of Holy Crusader of Justice or Magistrix of Arcana.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1016 on: May 13, 2009, 08:28:37 AM

That's because "Trooper" sounds like "Pooper"

As for Jango taking out the jedi he took out (and it was only one) he took him out because he was too close and unprepared for blocking multiple blasters.

Also, his eyes were on the fucking sides of his head so he couldn't see shit.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: May 13, 2009, 08:58:20 AM

If EU is thrown into the mix a little, Jango actually killed newbie Jedi with a bit more regularity (once with his bare hands).  And to take it a bit further, it has been explained that Jango's real motivation for letting the Kaminoans use him as a clone template was to get revenge on the Jedi for a battle against them that he once lost.  And, technically, all the little clone Jangos running around did, in fact, end up killing nearly all the Jedi.

Also, there is an argument that Mace beat him so easily because he got his ass run over and his equipment malfunctioned.

That said, the average Jedi still clobbers the average Bounty Hunter.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1018 on: May 13, 2009, 09:09:18 AM

I'd like to see some kind of squad-system for troopers just because it's an interesting mechanic that hasn't ever been done really well before, even without considering the idea that it would really make more sense overall and seem to fit the setting better.  But then, maybe the reason it's never been done well (without pausing) is because our limited interface makes it difficult to control ONE character when that character has dozens or more abilities, much less multiple avatars.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1019 on: May 13, 2009, 09:13:09 AM

It would be interesting, though.  Instead of creating a single trooper toon, you create Omega Squad, the elite team of commandos.  It would be tough, all right, and inexperienced players would fairly get slaughtered by noob Jedi.  But once you get it working...you still get slaughtered by noob Jedi, probably.  But at least you have a full squad!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1020 on: May 13, 2009, 09:51:46 AM

If EU is thrown into the mix a little, Jango actually killed newbie Jedi with a bit more regularity (once with his bare hands).  And to take it a bit further, it has been explained that Jango's real motivation for letting the Kaminoans use him as a clone template was to get revenge on the Jedi for a battle against them that he once lost.  And, technically, all the little clone Jangos running around did, in fact, end up killing nearly all the Jedi.

Also, there is an argument that Mace beat him so easily because he got his ass run over and his equipment malfunctioned.

That said, the average Jedi still clobbers the average Bounty Hunter.

This is a lot of work just to fit some logic around a fevered dream of a fat hack director.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: May 13, 2009, 10:25:15 AM

That's the very essence of the entirety of the EU collection. Six movies. 200 books. You do the math  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Every single throwaway thing in the movies from the Rancor down to the Jawa has at least half a novel dedicated to it.

The abomination that is the extended universe includes bullshit like trainee jedi wrenching star destroyers out of orbit WITH THEIR MIND.

To be fair, there were a dozen or so Jedi channeling through that clone guy at the top of a temple specifically decided for channeling and focus. And Daala was a stupid fleet commander.

@Merusk: Good point about the sonics, but it just reinforces the stupidity of rushing them head on.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1022 on: May 13, 2009, 11:32:48 AM

No one gives a shit when we call stuff Paladin or Mage instead of Holy Crusader of Justice or Magistrix of Arcana.

We don't use "Paladin" in real life.  However, a Trooper is the same as the guy giving us speeding tickets.  There were so many more good choices (as simple as "Republic Elite Forces") they could have went with.  Its not a huge point, but I ddo wonder how much thought they put into the name.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: May 13, 2009, 11:34:50 AM

To be fair, there were a dozen or so Jedi channeling through that clone guy at the top of a temple specifically decided for channeling and focus. And Daala was a stupid fleet commander.

And doing so killed his clone ass dead.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1024 on: May 13, 2009, 11:40:29 AM

That's the very essence of the entirety of the EU collection. Six movies. 200 books. You do the math  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Every single throwaway thing in the movies from the Rancor down to the Jawa has at least half a novel dedicated to it.

Oh, I know.  I didn't just become a nerd this morning.  Sometimes I like making obvious comments.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Also I say Jango just had a bit of bad luck at an unfortunate time.  Possibly Mace is really good but it was so hard to tell because of the shit acting. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: May 13, 2009, 11:46:49 AM

We don't use "Paladin" in real life.  However, a Trooper is the same as the guy giving us speeding tickets.  There were so many more good choices (as simple as "Republic Elite Forces") they could have went with.  Its not a huge point, but I ddo wonder how much thought they put into the name.

Seems like a good name to me, since it also ties up how we got Clone and Storm troopers and all that. They could have just called them Soldier like in KOTOR.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: May 13, 2009, 11:48:39 AM

Trooper fits.  This is Star Wars, not some fancy literary work.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1027 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:23 AM

Wasn't there some worm creature in one of the Tim Zahn books that negated the Force?  Maybe Troopers can use that.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: May 13, 2009, 12:03:09 PM

Oh, I am sure everyone will be covered in cortosis and ysalamiris and shit. 

...now I feel ashamed I knew that without looking it up.   ACK!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1029 on: May 13, 2009, 12:10:12 PM

As you should!

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1030 on: May 13, 2009, 12:59:05 PM

Squad idea sounds interesting. An easy way to maintain player attachment would be to make the player character a squad commander with (as has been suggested) slotting other troopers in and out like abilities. You get access to medics, troopers, heavy troopers and your own commander with each having a selection of possible skills (maybe some sort of branching system). Troopers having perhaps a versatile set, medics being heal/defence buffs, heavy troopers being pure attacking and the commander getting offensive buffs, that kind of thing. Make the abilities themselves relatively less powerful than single characters but your ability to cool down is based on the number of that type in the squad so one kitted out with all medics could do a half decent healer job with good buffs. Of course the other problem with that approach is that instead of having to display a model for every player on screen you need to display 5 and large scale events become a headache. Not such an issue if the gameplay is going to be heavily instanced though.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: May 13, 2009, 02:25:29 PM

I'm amused that all this pie-in-the-sky dreaming is exactly why people were saying opening up the forums this far ahead of releasing solid information was a bad idea.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #1032 on: May 13, 2009, 02:35:19 PM

Baseless speculation is often more entertaining than the game.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1033 on: May 13, 2009, 03:40:01 PM

However, a Trooper is the same as the guy giving us speeding tickets.

That's regional. We certainly don't call them that in California. I mean, I'd be with you if they were calling them CHiPs or something (Blizzard's new MMO: CHiPs Online  DRILLING AND MANLINESS), but trooper is a pretty broadly useful term for this sort of thing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1034 on: May 13, 2009, 05:37:11 PM

Oh, I am sure everyone will be covered in cortosis and ysalamiris and shit. 

...now I feel ashamed I knew that without looking it up.   ACK!

Instead of using a stupid anti-force tequila worm, Thrawn should have gotten a real clue and found some way to negate a hero's plot immunity.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1035 on: May 13, 2009, 06:22:04 PM

Thrawn. Man, talk about a guy dying like a bitch... He was doing so good too.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1036 on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:57 AM

Which gets released first: TOR or Gizka's KotOR 2 restoration?

why so serious? Ohhhhh, I see.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #1037 on: May 14, 2009, 08:30:10 AM

Which gets released first: TOR or Gizka's KotOR 2 restoration?

why so serious? Ohhhhh, I see.

First?
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1038 on: May 14, 2009, 08:36:27 AM

I think what you were going for there was: Released?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1039 on: May 14, 2009, 08:37:12 AM

I think what you were going for there was: Released?

think?

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1040 on: May 14, 2009, 08:43:29 AM

I may have been exaggerating swamp poop

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: May 14, 2009, 08:57:34 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1042 on: May 14, 2009, 09:51:40 AM

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1043 on: May 14, 2009, 09:58:54 AM

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1044 on: May 14, 2009, 11:14:36 AM

DON'T CUT MY FUCKIN' JACOBS!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: May 14, 2009, 12:19:03 PM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #1046 on: May 14, 2009, 12:20:27 PM

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #1047 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:57 PM

Ethnically ambiguous Revan is dubious of this thread.

Highly dubious.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1048 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:57 PM

Ethnically ambiguous Revan needs to visit the pig farm.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1049 on: May 14, 2009, 02:31:46 PM

Do you know what "nemesis" means?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: