Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102243 times)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13895 on: November 26, 2011, 07:49:25 AM

Ive slept with 2 women so far and Im only level 20, one was a Sith.  Made me start wondering a few things:

1)  Did I force choke her?
2)  Her face was all veiny so did I force blind myself or just flip her over?
3)  Did I wave my hand and make her naked?
4)  When she took her clothes off did I yell "NOOOOOO!"
5)  Did my lightsaber get used for anything and should I get a new one?
6)  Did the lag make it go longer?
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13896 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:29 AM

I can already see that I'll have SWTOR open all the time, because when I'm doing homework or something I'll just be sending out crew on crew skill missions every 3-6 minutes or whatever.  Seems like a stupid system.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13897 on: November 26, 2011, 08:00:59 AM

I can already see that I'll have SWTOR open all the time, because when I'm doing homework or something I'll just be sending out crew on crew skill missions every 3-6 minutes or whatever.  Seems like a stupid system.

I hate crafting, rather be doing something else rather then standing around crafting 85 of the same item for 20 minutes so Im all for it :P
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #13898 on: November 26, 2011, 08:06:21 AM

Didn't do the beta this weekend. I want everything to be fresh and shiny at release.
Pre-ordered the Collector's edition from Target. They said I would definitely get game for release but no early access code.
Pre-ordered it last night in store at Bestbuy. They said they would email me a code but so far I've gotten nothing. Two of their in store managers last night warned me they had pre-ordered through work as well and hadn't gotten a code as promised either.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13899 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:01 AM

I hate crafting, rather be doing something else rather then standing around crafting 85 of the same item for 20 minutes so Im all for it :P

Seems likely the market for a lot of crafting materials will be terrible from this, it would be so easy to write a little program to send crew out over and over all day and night when you aren't at your computer and then have tons of materials to use and flood the market.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13900 on: November 26, 2011, 08:13:39 AM

Playing this weekend has kept me at being interested but not really chomping at the bit to pre-order or even buy at release. I'm just burned out and I don't think that's going to change.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13901 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:05 AM

I am re-leveling a consular to 10 ( why so serious? why so serious? why so serious? ) because my consular from my first stress test was busted, and Ingmar and I kinda want to try a FLASHPOINT. Probably. I still love bouncing rocks and urns and T-whatever units off people's faces. I think there's something wrong with me.
I played the Shadow to 20 and it's a pretty awesome class. And I was worried about oiltanking and leetmaul doublesabers and whatnot. Just a fun class with a couple interesting build options, even at 20 I had two sets of gear, one for grouping and one for solo (tanking spec, though the trandoshan is a decent tank).
Yeah, having tried a few more now, I'd agree that the story lines are all about the player not the side.  The JK and Smuggler have me interested in trying them out.  It's only the Paladin-trooper that I felt was kind of weak on the dark side stuff, imo.  I'm going to try a few more classes to see how they feel.
I agree. Also how much the voice actor resonates with you and the way you customized your avatard. In the 367 weekend, I had a miralukan shadow, white racial hood option and white gear, looked great and really fit the purity angle of the light path story. And since I tend to love playing the light side, the class story for me was a great fit, and the VO fit my thinking and avatar perfectly. In this weekend I tried rolling a Consular with a different look and it was just wrong - shades of Mass Effect when I tried to roll an evil Shep but the same VO just killed all immersion because I identified the voice with a blond/blue Swede, not a black dude with lambchops.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13902 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:44 AM

Seems likely the market for a lot of crafting materials will be terrible from this, it would be so easy to write a little program to send crew out over and over all day and night when you aren't at your computer and then have tons of materials to use and flood the market.

You know sending them out to gather, etc costs $$ right?
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #13903 on: November 26, 2011, 08:21:49 AM

I also hate the "wow! You're more advanced in the force than I could ever dream of being" storyline.

Actually if you stick it out till you get your ship the reason for that becomes apparent.

Also using crew to get crafting components will make you poor fast.   It's easier to gather manually.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:26:09 AM by Amaron »
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13904 on: November 26, 2011, 08:27:22 AM

You know sending them out to gather, etc costs $$ right?

It's really cheap so far, unless it ramps up at higher levels?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13905 on: November 26, 2011, 08:33:35 AM

At level 20 I was broke from sending out 2 companions on missions...and that was with the OP slicing and manual harvesting. I did have a great set of crafted blues, two sets, actually.

Looks like I won't be playing today, no time for queues. Hoped to get in a couple minutes this morning, I've got to load up the garage with wood. I imagine it'll be much worse tomorrow. Some of the queues are crazy, Canderous was just over 200, looks like maybe 15-20 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:35:26 AM by Sky »
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13906 on: November 26, 2011, 08:34:45 AM

At level 20 I was broke from sending out 2 companions on missions...

Ah, makes sense then.  At the 10-17 range it feels like I could just send them out forever at like 90 a mission.  swamp poop

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #13907 on: November 26, 2011, 08:44:46 AM

Do they actually expect to be able to serve the amount of people that'll be playing on release? I just logged in and everything's full, with queues all over the place.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #13908 on: November 26, 2011, 08:51:06 AM

Do they actually expect to be able to serve the amount of people that'll be playing on release? I just logged in and everything's full, with queues all over the place.
I had no problem so far, but that might be because I am playing from Germany on US servers. Still can't remember the name because I get put into Character selection upon logging in.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13909 on: November 26, 2011, 08:58:50 AM

I've had no queues yet, but I've had a few really bad lag spikes and twice I've had to log out and back in because I couldn't loot anything.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #13910 on: November 26, 2011, 09:20:24 AM

It's really cheap so far, unless it ramps up at higher levels?

It only seems cheap till you start looking at your level 25 mount skill.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13911 on: November 26, 2011, 09:41:34 AM

You can be drowning in cash.  At 38 I have all but the last inventory row, an extra ship storage bay AND 150k.  Even if I were to spend lots of time at vendors looking for the +2-3 boost for companion items I would still have more cash than I need.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #13912 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:40 AM

At level 20 I was broke from sending out 2 companions on missions...

Ah, makes sense then.  At the 10-17 range it feels like I could just send them out forever at like 90 a mission.  swamp poop

I avoid crafting early because mount  + training costs $45k at level 25
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13913 on: November 26, 2011, 09:52:43 AM

Got to beta for the first time today. It's a good mashup of KotOR and WoW, and I'm really digging it. Playing the Sith Warrior, made it to level 8. I like that standard encounters frequently include me taking on 2-3 mobs solo; really gives you the sense of being a badass, plus you actually get to use your AoEs. Planning to go tank once I unlock my advanced class, to get a handle on it before release since this will likely be my main.

A lot of the story stuff is actually very cool (although Darth Baras looks REALLY fucking stupid. A fat jedi in too-tight Pally Tier 2 armor? Really?), particularly the class stuff. I wish the Light Side/Dark Side options were color coded instead of requiring mouseover, since I like picking the choices with the numbers. I'd also like a click-to-skip-dialog option, for the less important quests since I can read the subtitles faster than the NPCs can speak.

The UI isn't as bad as I feared, although I'm certain hotbars are going to be an issue. Only 2 on the bottom is pretty shitty, and the default being the top one is just  swamp poop. I usually use the side bars for tradeskills, hearthstone, etc. but I'm afraid I'll have to actually put abilities on there and keybind them. Otherwise, no real complaints. The default chat location is dumb, but it fits in my lower left hand corner just fine.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13914 on: November 26, 2011, 10:07:50 AM

To see if I liked the jedi consular mechanics, I started up a lady inquisitor. She is every bit the snarky lady I had heard. She must have been a smuggler in a past life.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13915 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:16 AM

We need to unlock the SWTOR sub-forum, how else can I post a "what went wrong?" thread 5min after release?

Right now, account locking and 4+ days trying to unlock it is something wrong.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13916 on: November 26, 2011, 10:15:49 AM

I do like the "if you fail anything auth related, YOU MUST CALL US AND FEDEX A BLOOD SAMPLE" thing. It's like they wanted to find some way to bottleneck the system.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #13917 on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:47 AM

Today's login was the first time they didn't ask me the security question.

Just about every PvE server has a queue at this point - shortest is 20 minutes, longest is 26 hours.   ACK!

PvP ranges from no queue to about 2 hours.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13918 on: November 26, 2011, 10:22:39 AM

You can be drowning in cash.  At 38 I have all but the last inventory row, an extra ship storage bay AND 150k.  Even if I were to spend lots of time at vendors looking for the +2-3 boost for companion items I would still have more cash than I need.

Which makes the amount of low-level money sinks extra bizarre. You're constantly strapped for cash until level 30ish, where every level skill training costs will wipe out two levels' worth of accrued credits, and every time you send a companion out on one of those 1000 credit Tier 2 missions in the vain hope you'll get the item you need to craft an upgrade it just delays you getting your mount that much more. The really meaty money sinks (tradeskills, inventory space, faster-than-base-line mounts, the VIP wristband) should all really be saved for later on down the line when people can be expected to have money to burn.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #13919 on: November 26, 2011, 10:23:37 AM

Funniest thing I've seen in a SWTOR thread today is from SA. Loosely paraphrased -
Person A: "So I just ran a flashpoint and it seemed a little, you know, mechnically lacking? Is this just for testing or...?"
Person B: "It's not like it's any worse than WoW instances! And it's the first one, to boot! Compare it to Deadmines! (links video)"
Person C: "Um...Deadmines looks a lot more fun and varied than the flashpoint. Different mechanics in the boss fights and the like while the flashpoint was just tank and spank. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here...."
Person B: "The story makes it better!"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13920 on: November 26, 2011, 10:30:41 AM

Modern deadmines, or oldschool deadmines? The oldschool one was pretty simplistic. The modern version is mechanically pretty complex.

I'm finally in a QQueue, which is thankfully not that long. But LOOOOOL at the window behind it. Rubat Crystal: Estimated Queue: 11h.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #13921 on: November 26, 2011, 10:31:30 AM

Modern.

You know, what with SWTOR competing with WoW now and not WoW seven years ago.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13922 on: November 26, 2011, 10:35:28 AM

Just kinda curious, since deadmines was JUST revamped. It used to be a pure tank and spank because the assumption was that new players would be dipping their toes in it. Like Ragefire Chasm.

The starter flashpoints should be simple mechanics just because it's what new players will first be exposed to as far as full group content goes.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #13923 on: November 26, 2011, 10:57:34 AM

Well, the first boss drops firebombs you need to move (him) out off and the second one jumps all over the place and has a channeled PbAOE Damage/Slow ability that you need do get the fuck away from. So it is not 100% tank and spank.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13924 on: November 26, 2011, 11:03:31 AM

Most of the fights keep you moving, and they all have a different hook.  Plus your bosses differ depending upon your dialog choices.  I actually consider them good first dungeons.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13925 on: November 26, 2011, 11:19:12 AM

It's fun laughing and bitching at each other in vent about our group conversation choices.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13926 on: November 26, 2011, 11:25:47 AM

We did the first instance with all newbies and honestly expected it to be tank and spank and got our butts kicked by not killing the bots. It's not bad. Healing on the other hand, OMG, please tell me it gets better. I could have put a roll of quarters on the heal key and gone afk.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #13927 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:51 AM

That one mission character on Ord Mantell kinda makes me expect to go off-screen and come back out as Captain Chaos.  why so serious?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13928 on: November 26, 2011, 11:46:57 AM

That one mission character on Ord Mantell kinda makes me expect to go off-screen and come back out as Captain Chaos.  why so serious?

What about as Professor Chaos?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13929 on: November 26, 2011, 12:17:38 PM

The number of trolls in general has been precious.  Here's what I learned today.

1) DAOC was the best game ever and that's what WoW ripped off.
2) WoW was great until they made it too simple.
3) Rep grinds aren't hard but they suck, and that's what killed wow, they should have made them simpler.
4) TOR is ass because 'my pc can run WoW on Ultra settings but I'm only getting 15 FPS here on max settings"
5) TOR's voice acting is unimpressive because I skip over them like I do in ME and ME2 to get through quests faster.  ( That's an exact quote. swamp poop )
6) If TOR isn't hardcore enough and get more difficult it will fail. (When pressed they failed to provide a link to difficulty that simply didn't translate into "time consuming."  Kids w/ hours to waste.  awesome, for real )
7) WoW wasn't as broken at release as TOR is right this very moment! It was perfect and sprang fully-formed into existence with no queues, loot bugs or bugged resource nodes or missing PVP and raid content. 

awesome, for real  I love the public.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: