Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102493 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13650 on: November 23, 2011, 01:08:18 PM

Troopers get a healing GRENADE.

IA's get a healing 'probe' 

my what do we have here?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #13651 on: November 23, 2011, 01:13:29 PM

my what do we have here?
Does the game allow to create clearly underage twi'leks for my the agent to probe heal?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13652 on: November 23, 2011, 01:14:35 PM

Only boy ones.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13653 on: November 23, 2011, 01:14:45 PM

Yes, but before meters I could just tell them to STFU and do their job. Now, I get spreadsheets telling me why I am wrong for having this person involved.

Wait, wait wait.

You're a fucking accountant.  You should LOVE that shit.

I bet your home server is fucking 95% Excel.

I know! I'm shocked as well that I don't want to do exactly what I do for a living in a game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13654 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:28 PM

Not sure why recover password is taking so long.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13655 on: November 23, 2011, 01:27:33 PM

Not sure why recover password is taking so long.

I did the same thing earlier, but never got an email.  I was able to login a little bit ago though without having to change my password.  I would suggest trying again, unless you legitimately forgot your PW  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #13656 on: November 23, 2011, 01:29:58 PM

Only boy ones.
I suppose this is where the change of initial plans and agent Robinson come in.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13657 on: November 23, 2011, 01:32:13 PM

Troopers get a healing GRENADE.
Bounty hunters get a healing MISSILE. awesome, for real

(yeah yeah I know that the two abilities are identical mechanics-wise)

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13658 on: November 23, 2011, 01:36:44 PM

Still waiting for my "official start time" email.

I find the staggered start time thing more than slightly absurd. Color me jaded on the Bioware empire. Do they really need to simulate this? Are they afraid the metal in their hardware gear isn't solid enough? It's not like it's been a dragon's age since the last beta weekend. And it's not like they can't use the evidence in hand and make a highly educated guess/plan for the mass effect of adding new testers.

Howzat for a useless thread bump?
3/10

Looks like the problems with the website for the (not) open beta are putting the systems to a proper stress test. And yeah, I bet they're doing the staggering this weekend to get a real-world simulation of the staggered launch. Doesn't hurt to run the actual hardware through the real cycle before you're dealing with paying customers.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13659 on: November 23, 2011, 01:38:57 PM

But you do need some kind of level on gear for the dungeon finder. EQ2 didn't have that when their LFD launched and it was a disaster because you had people with completely inadequate gear being put into tanking roles and that sort of thing. (Along with a dozen other complete failures in the tool like assuming all tank capable classes were tanks--no clue if they ever fixed it.)

So essentially you are saying that gear in WoW reached the point that it was effectively just an alternative to increasing the level cap. Get to level 80 then grind your way through the next 20 levels of Gearscore. So some Raids were essentially level 80 and others were level 80 + Tier 3 gear.

Problem with this mechanic being that actual character power level becomes ridiculously hard to judge past the level cap without using addons to scan every piece of gear someone has equipped.

I guess I knew this was the case, but never really thought about it.

I wore whatever gear looked coolest. *shrug*

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13660 on: November 23, 2011, 02:07:34 PM

Yes, the endgame is basically Diablo in disguise.

- Viin
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #13661 on: November 23, 2011, 02:09:25 PM

I wore whatever gear looked coolest. *shrug*

No jeans, no trainers.

If your name's not on the list then you can't come in.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13662 on: November 23, 2011, 02:14:46 PM

a guildie got confirmation mails that he's accepted to the friday test. On three accounts. Yeah, yeah, he's an asshole, at least I get to get in on friday for sure  awesome, for real

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13663 on: November 23, 2011, 02:15:26 PM

Yes, the endgame is basically Diablo in disguise.

Makes an argument for level progression = increasing breadth of skill choices rather than incremental stat bumping. I've barely played any GW but I think that is/was their design -- always have 8 skills but higher level means broader range of choices for those 8?

I saw SWTORs skill trees and sighed. Not a selling point for me. (If there have to be skill trees, RIFT's soul system is my preference.)

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #13664 on: November 23, 2011, 02:22:17 PM

I found that DDO had some hard content for small groups -- and not hard because you chose a higher level dungeon than your party. There were a number of dungeons that required multiple party members to have decent environment jumping skills, or coordination in opening/moving doors at the right time, or even just navigating multi-level ramps and twisty interior spaces ("The Pit" being the most notorious such dungeon). Even dungeons that "split the party" and forced them to fight their way back together.

I also really liked being able to block attacks in real time, and use a shield to prevent enemy missiles fire from hitting my party's wizard while the wizard tried to get close enough to charm the undead archers (yay for little pink hats floating over the undead!).  Or the requirement in some dungeons to have to jump and catch a ledge, then move sideways along the ledge, to get past an obstacle.  Yes, this kind of stuff has been around in 3-D adventure games forever,  but I don't see many MMOs supporting it. Perhaps too many casual players find it too hard to maneuver a toon in 3-D space?

Speaking of DDO's active combat, this is where I think SWTOR is really a missed opportunity. The combat is identical to WoW's, and it really feels off-putting for a Star Wars game in 2011. Playing a trooper during the last beta weekend I kept wondering "why am I tab-targeting and playing with action bars when I should just be aiming and shooting". Ranged combat in DDO is how SWTOR ranged combat should be play. Borderlands came out two years ago and it seemed so obvious that it's where MMOs were going. And yet here we are, with another MMO where you click on an enemy to target them, stand still, and then press 1-5 on your keyboard every couple seconds to attack them.

I've been playing a ton of DDO lately, to the point where I haven't logged into Rift in over a week despite a big patch with tons of stuff to do. It's hard to get excited about an MMO where combat (what you're doing for 95% of the game) feels so stale. Rift and WoW both share the same boring combat, but somehow in my mind it's not as egregious because they're fantasy games where I spend more time casting spells than shooting guns, and they don't attempt to feel futuristic.

I also really like the Mario levels in DDO, but I know I'm the minority there. Weird puzzle quests like Tomb of the Tormented and platforming levels like Spies in the House show me things I haven't already done 300 times in an MMO, and I really enjoy them.

Edit: To clarify, the 'missed opportunity' is that the game probably would have felt much more refreshing, and maybe had a longer hook for jaded MMO games and non-MMO gamers alike, if the combat felt like a step forward rather than a rehash.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:28:48 PM by Rokal »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #13665 on: November 23, 2011, 02:28:05 PM

There does not seem to be a "log in" button on their website any more for me.

God Save the Horn Players
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13666 on: November 23, 2011, 02:28:45 PM

I was just going to post that.

Apparently logging into the client tells me: "This account requires activation steps to access the game. Finalize verification for this account" where account is a link to sign in.

Is this the prompt to do the security questions.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 02:37:27 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #13667 on: November 23, 2011, 02:32:23 PM

The login page now says page not found... LOL

Bioware HQ: We can stop people from getting into the beta by keeping them from logging into our webpage! GENIUS!

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13668 on: November 23, 2011, 02:33:01 PM

No Sjofn's allowed.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13669 on: November 23, 2011, 02:34:20 PM

I wonder if its a reaction to the load. How many copies did this sell anyway?

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13670 on: November 23, 2011, 02:35:07 PM

They remove the login button when their site is under super heavy crushing load. Like it is right now.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #13671 on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:40 PM

Still waiting for my "official start time" email.

I find the staggered start time thing more than slightly absurd. Color me jaded on the Bioware empire. Do they really need to simulate this? Are they afraid the metal in their hardware gear isn't solid enough? It's not like it's been a dragon's age since the last beta weekend. And it's not like they can't use the evidence in hand and make a highly educated guess/plan for the mass effect of adding new testers.

Howzat for a useless thread bump?

Just got my "official start time" email.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13672 on: November 23, 2011, 02:40:04 PM

I never used the healing bullets thing as a Commando.  I also specced out of the Kolto Grenade.

Last night I was forced to use an ability I NEVER use, which was interesting.  You have to use it or lose the fight.  Silly Sages.  

Shit like gearscore gets me into fights with group members.  Not interested in your spreadsheets, thanks.  Also, wtf?  Why do you need this stupid mod shit for 4 man groups?  Yeah, you can form raids but they are pretty damn rare.  Go ahead and fight your 500k HP world boss and get 2 drops for 16 people.  That stuff is all PUG right now and who wants to fight that level of loot retardation.  

Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #13673 on: November 23, 2011, 02:41:27 PM

You’ll be able to begin testing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ very soon! Your test begins:

Friday, Nov. 25 at 10:00AM CST

Of course, I'll be at the in-law's eating turkey.  Ohhhhh, I see.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #13674 on: November 23, 2011, 02:44:49 PM

If you have an EA Origin account, change your PW there  - it takes about 30 seconds and since they merged it with your SWTOR PW all will be good. I tried three times to reset my PW through SWTOR.com and every time they failed to send the reset E-mail and I used Origin.

They have a made great game but their login is a fucking mess. They'd better sort this shit out before launch or the forums will be apoplectic with rage.

Nothing creates a bad impression and leads to closed wallets faster than an ugly front end. Just ask a ten dollar whore.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13675 on: November 23, 2011, 02:48:21 PM

If you have an EA Origin account, change your PW there  - it takes about 30 seconds and since they merged it with your SWTOR PW all will be good. I tried three times to reset my PW through SWTOR.com and every time they failed to send the reset E-mail and I used Origin.

They have a made great game but their login is a fucking mess. They'd better sort this shit out before launch or the forums will be apoplectic with rage.

Nothing creates a bad impression and leads to closed wallets faster than an ugly front end. Just ask a ten dollar whore.

So close. I changed it, and i get the same line. I guess its because I never set up security questions.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13676 on: November 23, 2011, 02:50:01 PM

ROFL -- and I agree. The security checks/changes/lockdown are understandable given the Steam forum hack, but why didn't they just do an authentication app in advance of release? Maybe they will...?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13677 on: November 23, 2011, 02:50:46 PM

In friday and I'll be at work.

Hey guys, maybe when they sent out all the emails saying you should update your shit, you shoulda updated your shit.  why so serious?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13678 on: November 23, 2011, 02:51:15 PM

There is some kind of authenticator planned yes. They have a field on the launcher for your authenticator code to go.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13679 on: November 23, 2011, 02:53:48 PM

In friday and I'll be at work.

Hey guys, maybe when they sent out all the emails saying you should update your shit, you shoulda updated your shit.  why so serious?

Never got one. This message is when I log into the launcher. I was never asked to update anything.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13680 on: November 23, 2011, 02:54:04 PM

Listening to the grumbles, I ran the patcher just to be sure I could log in and there is a patcher update and a patch. So you should probably grab that stuff asap just in case.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13681 on: November 23, 2011, 02:56:11 PM

The patch isn't very big, and no notes with it.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13682 on: November 23, 2011, 02:57:52 PM

The patch isn't very big, and no notes with it.

It also requires a log in :)

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13683 on: November 23, 2011, 02:58:32 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13684 on: November 23, 2011, 03:03:45 PM

Rejoice!

Customer support forums also requires a log in. Origin CS told me to use the SWTOR CS.

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: