Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 02:53:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 819956 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1260 on: October 29, 2010, 10:38:43 AM

Still no updates available for my phone.  :(

Stuck with 2.1
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1261 on: October 31, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Okay, so I changed my mind. Typing this on a Droid2.  The Ally was too damned slow in the cpu and had a tiny screen, the Samsung over at Virgin had a really low res screen.  So, I broke my Motorola boycott.

Over all.... not bad at all.  If I can find a really portable bluetooth keyboard, I'll have very little use for the laptop any more.  If it would drive a decent display, I'd have none.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1262 on: October 31, 2010, 12:28:42 PM

Give it a year or two.  The new mobile chipsets that will be commercial-ready in 2011 tend to feature dual core A9s at 1GHz or more and GPUs and video subsystems that can drive 720p-1080p outputs reasonably.  Once this stuff enters the mainstream the line between smartphone and microlaptop is going to start really getting blurry.  Mostly you'll need more RAM for some desktop class apps, but 1-2GB will probably become less outlandish for higher end phones before long.

I've been skeptical of multicore solutions for the handset space (power consumption is always your biggest concern there), but when you start thinking about "plugged in" use cases like "add keyboard and monitor" I could see devices that make little or no use of the 2nd (or 2nd through 4th!) core when running on battery finding that extra compute power handy when acting more desktop-ish.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1263 on: October 31, 2010, 02:52:24 PM

Nexus 2 rumors. Stock Android (2.3), T-Mobile (among supposed others), unlocked. May sell my N1 for this depending on whether I can resist the new shiny.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1264 on: November 01, 2010, 05:19:46 AM

I'm not sure where those Nexus Two rumors are coming from. It's more likely just going to be a early new version device like the Motorola Droid.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1265 on: November 01, 2010, 12:24:29 PM

Microsoft called me last week asking if I had a Android and would be willing to do a study.

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #1266 on: November 01, 2010, 01:21:11 PM

From Engadget's review of the 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab.

To be honest, our real appreciation for the device's design comes more in terms of its form factor. Unsurprisingly, 7-inch tablets are much better for one-handed use than larger-screened ones (i.e. the 9.7-inch iPad or 11.6-inch ExoPC), and the 7.4 x 4.7-inch Galaxy Tab is no different. Steve Jobs may not think the size is optimal, but we loved being able to wrap our smaller hand around the 0.83-pound / 0.47-inch thick Tab when reading a book or hold it like a phone and use our thumbs to type on the on-screen keyboard. Sure, it's not as light or thin as the 0.53-pound / 0.33-inch Kindle or 0.48-pound / 0.4-inch Dell Streak, but it's still light enough to hold up in bed without fearing that you'll drop it on your face.
Vindication!

While the Tab's resolution isn't as high as the iPad's 1024 x 768-resolution IPS panel [It's 1024 x 600], the screen does have better pixel density, which translate to a crisper e-book and webpage reading experience than the iPad.

Needs some more support from Google in the form of Android 3.0, and the Wifi version hasn't hit yet, but it sounds near what I'm looking for.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1267 on: November 01, 2010, 01:28:50 PM

From your article, correctly linked, here's my dealbreaker:

While it's nice to be able to load videos within sites and not have to battle that blue lego block, we were repeatedly given the "this video is not optimized for mobile" message when we hit play. Overall, videos played just fine, but Flash definitely slowed down the rest of the browsing experience. What about other Flash heavy sites? Well, as you can see above, Hulu is a dead end -- we got the same error message even when we logged into our Hulu plus account in the browser. (Hulu, please release a Plus app for Android ASAP!) On that same vein, we had no issues loading a Flash game site like Canabalt, but because it was built for mouse and keyboard environments we couldn't figure out how to jump and avoid death by bricks. What does it all mean? The Tab's Flash capability is a nice fallback, but if you've been thinking it's the killer tablet app you should think again. Not to sound like Steve Jobs or anything, but scaled-up smartphone apps and Flash compatibility alone don't create a well-rounded tablet platform -- it's going to take native apps for the Tab to be truly competitive.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1268 on: November 01, 2010, 05:28:40 PM

I'm not sure where those Nexus Two rumors are coming from. It's more likely just going to be a early new version device like the Motorola Droid.

If it's more in the spirit of Droid than Nexus then my wallet will stay fat and happy.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:02 PM

I've recently settled into setup of using an Apple Wireless Keyboard, Logitech M555b mouse and an HTC Desire with CyanogenMod 6.1.0 RC1 for typing up documents and whatnot while on the go. I was seriously looking at the Galaxy Tab for awhile, but the price point just doesn't seem to justify itself at the moment. The lack of WiFi is mind boggling to me. The lower battery life compared to the more feature fleshed out iPad with a larger screen while also being smaller and being cheaper also boggles my mind as well.

That engadget comparison picture makes me want a fucking Tab so badly tho. It's pretty much the perfect size for what I need right now. I'll gladly keep typing up and browsing the web with my paltry 4 inch display until the bleeding edgeness of these larger android tablets wears off tho.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1270 on: November 02, 2010, 12:57:33 AM

Software and price-wise the Tab is not perfect, but I really really like the form factor.   Steve is full of shit about 7" tablets being unusable.  The big problem with the ipad is it's too bulky and waaay too heavy to actually hold for any period of time.  Being half the weight and about half the size is an advantage.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1271 on: November 02, 2010, 01:16:50 AM

A huge advantage I'd say. That size seems just perfect.
I use my Desire in landscape mode on a little stand I made as basically a faux replacement for a netbook to type up documents while I'm at university or on the train. I get by with the 4 inch display, but yeah, that a 7 inch screen would be just perfect, as far as size vs. mobility goes.

I was intially shopping around for ulv and netbooks and then just said, you know what, all I really need outside my desktop is the ability to type up documents and browse the web. My phone does that and I carry it with me anyways. Soooo... yeah. Keyboard, mouse, basically I have a netbook, that has better batterylife. I just can't play tanks on it right now. Which does help with productivity. God help me when Minecraft starts working on Android.

Steam Profile
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1272 on: November 02, 2010, 01:32:14 AM

However, we don't see why Samsung couldn't have made room for a micro-USB port -- you have to charge it and sideload content using Samsung's proprietary charging cable.
Update: It's been brought to our attention that you cannot charge the device via a laptop or desktop -- it can only charge via the AC adapter.

*sigh* I'm literally only waiting for something like this to be released with microusb or the like to use it as a larger preview thingy when I'm out photographing. If it can be used to do other things as well, such as bookreading, so much the better.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: November 03, 2010, 02:28:59 AM

Wait, it doesn't have a micro-USB port? When's that forced mandate of micro-USB charging going to kick in here in Europe?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: November 03, 2010, 06:51:07 AM

Software and price-wise the Tab is not perfect, but I really really like the form factor.   Steve is full of shit about 7" tablets being unusable.  The big problem with the ipad is it's too bulky and waaay too heavy to actually hold for any period of time.  Being half the weight and about half the size is an advantage.

I think it depends on the individual's use case to be honest.  I have only been using my iPad on the couch, bed, or just passing it around and I haven't been bothered by the weight or size at all.  With that, I would rather have the bigger size of the iPad than a 7", as the size and weight won't be any advantage for me.  However, I also don't use it while actually moving so I can usually get a pretty comfortable position with it.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1275 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:13 PM

This looks really tempting, it's cheap enough it might be worth the gamble of not having any reviews.

http://product.madeinchina.com/M001-7-Touch-Screen-TFT-LCD-Google-Android-1-6_12763336.shtml
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1276 on: November 03, 2010, 12:44:40 PM

This looks really tempting, it's cheap enough it might be worth the gamble of not having any reviews.

http://product.madeinchina.com/M001-7-Touch-Screen-TFT-LCD-Google-Android-1-6_12763336.shtml
Little weak on the CPU, and a pure shot in the dark on reliability.  But it would make a good couch websurfing gizmo if it didn't break right away.  At $108, I would go for it myself if I hadn't just completely blown my toys budget.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: November 03, 2010, 12:49:13 PM

Review for said product, with YouTube video. Made by a company called EKEN, who apparently have a couple other android tablet models.

http://www.slashgear.com/eken-m001-100-android-mid-gets-reviewed-2683177/

edit: posted while in the middle of watching the video review, they just said it is running Android 1.6, so that should be noted, not sure how well it will play with later version of Android.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:50:49 PM by Vaiti »

Steam Profile
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1278 on: November 03, 2010, 01:44:17 PM

After a little more looking, I'd probably go with this model.  Same screen size and resolution, better CPU, front-facing webcam, standard USB jacks, running Android 2.1 (so probably a painless upgrade to 2.2).  $60 more, but probably worth it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #1279 on: November 03, 2010, 06:09:32 PM

After a little more looking, I'd probably go with this model.  Same screen size and resolution, better CPU, front-facing webcam, standard USB jacks, running Android 2.1 (so probably a painless upgrade to 2.2).  $60 more, but probably worth it.

--Dave

Wow, I totally brainfarted and was thinking that 1.6 was actually a recent version..I blame the pain meds.  The one you linked is definitely the better buy.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1280 on: November 05, 2010, 06:10:43 AM

So I have an HTC Desire. I'd run benchmarks on it a few weeks ago using Quadrant Standard, and it came in at a score of 500, right about what was expected for that phone.

Upgraded to 2.2 last week. Ran the benchmark this morning: 1243.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1281 on: November 05, 2010, 01:17:41 PM

Could anyone recommend an app for facebook chat? I've been trying Go!Chat for the last couple of days but it's really klling my battery. I assume this might be the case with any of them, though.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: November 05, 2010, 01:25:15 PM

So I have an HTC Desire. I'd run benchmarks on it a few weeks ago using Quadrant Standard, and it came in at a score of 500, right about what was expected for that phone.

Upgraded to 2.2 last week. Ran the benchmark this morning: 1243.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If all goes well, Gingerbread should make Froyo look like Eclair.

(not sure if we'll see a 2.5x performance boost like you just saw, but there's some good stuff in the works)
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1283 on: November 05, 2010, 01:44:46 PM

I just want to see better Bluetooth HID support. My setup works, but has it's flaws. I've pretty much stopped using the mouse due to limitations and odd reboots while using it. Keyboard works fine, but only in US layout, which is apparently a limitation of the kernal at the moment. Or something. Please tell my Gingerbread is doing magical wonderful things for bluetooth.

Steam Profile
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1284 on: November 05, 2010, 02:01:11 PM

Not sure if it'll make it for GB but I know our BT and input guys are working on HID improvements.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1285 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:20 PM

Could anyone recommend an app for facebook chat? I've been trying Go!Chat for the last couple of days but it's really klling my battery. I assume this might be the case with any of them, though.

I use meebo's client for fb chat.  Seems to work pretty well.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1286 on: November 10, 2010, 12:01:32 PM

Finally sold out to the smartphone revolution today.  Wasn't happy with the way the Droid2's keyboard felt, so I went with the X.  I know this question is anathema to Android's libertarian base, but is there a standard package of reliable basic apps I can get somewhere.  I promise I'll spend weeks hunting for obscure crap later.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1287 on: November 10, 2010, 01:08:01 PM

Gizmodo has a review of the Samsung Tab here
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1288 on: November 10, 2010, 05:23:43 PM

I've become an android user! ACK! More specifically, a Google Nexus One user. Posting from it now!

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1289 on: November 10, 2010, 06:49:48 PM

Did a quick search and didn't see mention of this anywhere.

I've been using the Tapatalk application to browse the xda forums. Tapatalk supports SMF 1.1.x, we use SMF 1.1.1. What are the chances of getting tapatalk supported here?

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Steam Profile
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: November 11, 2010, 06:36:00 AM

Engadget has a decent review of the Tab here if anyone is interested.  They aren't as harsh as Giz and go into more detail.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1291 on: November 11, 2010, 06:50:17 AM

I've been looking for a replacement for my G1 over the past couple of weeks and figured that the Desire Z  would be the logical upgrade. Having read some reviews and comparisons however it appears that there are some concerns about the frailty of the z-hinge and also that the 800MHz processor won't be beefy enough for Android 3.0. I wandered into my local Vodafone store, played with a Motorola Milestone 2 for a bit and have ordered one based on the glowing online reviews and the generally beefier spec. If anyone is interested I'll update with my impressions when it arrives next week.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #1292 on: November 11, 2010, 12:22:01 PM

I've become an android user! ACK! More specifically, a Google Nexus One user. Posting from it now!

Me too it seems , got myself a desire other day.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: November 11, 2010, 09:36:06 PM

I've been looking for a replacement for my G1 over the past couple of weeks and figured that the Desire Z  would be the logical upgrade. Having read some reviews and comparisons however it appears that there are some concerns about the frailty of the z-hinge and also that the 800MHz processor won't be beefy enough for Android 3.0. I wandered into my local Vodafone store, played with a Motorola Milestone 2 for a bit and have ordered one based on the glowing online reviews and the generally beefier spec. If anyone is interested I'll update with my impressions when it arrives next week.

The 800MHz MSM7x30 in the Desire Z is actually faster than the 1GHz MSM8x50 in some other products (like Nexus One, etc), due to a faster GPU and faster memory interconnect.  Raw CPU speed is often misleading when comparing ARM SoCs.  The TI OMAP 3630 in Milestone 2 is no slouch, but it has the same SGX530 GPU as in the original Droid (though clocked a little faster).
pohsyb
Developers

Reply #1294 on: November 12, 2010, 04:24:59 PM

I have a G2 and I love it, the Z hinge is no problem. 

Unfortunately,  I am a cheap bastard and today is the last day of my G2.  I'm downgrading to the Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept, $25/month is so cheap the miser in me cannot resist.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: