Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 12:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 825271 times)
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: January 07, 2010, 02:29:23 PM

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: January 07, 2010, 02:36:24 PM

from the google voice app on your phone: menu, settings. Under general,  making calls. change your selection.

I'm wondering why you need sipdroid if you have google voice, unless  you are using the phone  to  work with a preexsting setup?

Yep I have it set up in the Voice app just like that.  And in Voice (through my PC) I have it set up to dial my Gizmo5 number, which is why I need Sipdroid on my phone.  Sipdroid picks up Gizmo5.  This lets me place calls over wifi without using phone minutes.  At least in theory.  It's not working for me.

If you just use the Voice app without Sipdroid, then when you place a call Voice will use your cell phone minutes.  I think.  This is what I want to avoid with Gizmo5/Sipdroid.  But like I said I can't make Voice call Sipdroid on an outgoing call from my phone.  

I may not be explaining this clearly.

If you place the call with google voice, it goes over the data connection of your phone, or wifi, whatever is up.  It doesn't use minutes. This is why it's not in the apple store

If you lived and worked in a place with nothing but wifi, or could get a data only plan on your phone, you'd never notice the difference, until you hit your cap on data :D

you bought it without data,does you phone plan allow for  free numbers or calling circled?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:08:12 PM by sigil »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: January 07, 2010, 02:41:32 PM

Or out of 3G coverage :P

I decided against using GV as my primary number, mostly because a lot of reviews on the net talk about delays on phone calls and text messages.  Not worth it just to save $15 or so a month.  Meanwhile, my Droid should be here tomorrow, yay.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: January 07, 2010, 02:46:19 PM

Wow then I must be doing it wrong.  So when you place your call through the Google Voice app, does Google Voice first call your phone and you pick it up, and then Google Voice dials out to your contact?  Or does it call your contact directly after you select one?

On my PC, when I log into Google Voice and place a call Google Voice first calls me back on my PC (and Gizmo5 picks it up) and then Google Voice dials out to my contact.  I thought it was the same thing on Android phones.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: January 07, 2010, 03:09:02 PM

Or out of 3G coverage :P

I decided against using GV as my primary number, mostly because a lot of reviews on the net talk about delays on phone calls and text messages.  Not worth it just to save $15 or so a month.  Meanwhile, my Droid should be here tomorrow, yay.

Voice works just fine out here in 2G land. I've yet to see those delays either.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:10:55 PM by sigil »
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: January 07, 2010, 03:17:56 PM

Wow then I must be doing it wrong.  So when you place your call through the Google Voice app, does Google Voice first call your phone and you pick it up, and then Google Voice dials out to your contact?  Or does it call your contact directly after you select one?

On my PC, when I log into Google Voice and place a call Google Voice first calls me back on my PC (and Gizmo5 picks it up) and then Google Voice dials out to my contact.  I thought it was the same thing on Android phones.

When you place a call using Google Voice through the app, it firsts dials a GV access number and then that dials out to the person you are trying to reach. It's pretty seamless but if you look at the screen you can see the access number it dials first.

Google Voice DOES use your plan minutes since it dials the access number first and it uses anytime minutes not mobile to mobile regardless of the type of phone you are trying to reach. Now the nice thing is if you can get unlimited calling to a favorite number, add the access number and since everything is funneled through it you get unlimited minutes. The number changes every now and then though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:22:32 PM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:40 PM

I've got you clearly now, ffc. I have my  my voice number as  a fave, so I don't see minutes spent.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: January 07, 2010, 06:47:41 PM

Ok got it working.  I tried everything to be able to dial out directly (GV app, GV Dialer, etc.) but nothing does the job so now I place and receive calls with my Google Voice number over WiFi through the mobile browser without using any mobile minutes.  If I dial directly through the Phone/Contacts apps then I can still place calls but my number shows up differently and Gizmo5 charges $0.01/min.  If anyone needs help setting it up just let me know.

This may all be for naught though since VoIP on my Nexus One is terrible.  Complete audio and mic static and cutting in/out.  On my PC I have never had problems with call quality.  I've tried the phone with two different WiFi spots and will try a third later today.  I haven't read about anyone else having a similar problem.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: January 08, 2010, 01:05:19 PM

This is awesome, I left WebOS at the right time.  I'm loving how much smoother everything is with the Droid.

*edit* And the Swype keyboard is amazing!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:03:19 PM by KallDrexx »
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: January 08, 2010, 05:14:00 PM

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #605 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:22 PM

For whoever it was that was pissing and moaning about how third-party open platforms aren't all that: The last page or two is why you're wrong.  A lot of this stuff would not be allowed on iPhone because somebody with pull at Apple would make sure it couldn't happen, even if that took bricking a bunch of phones.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #606 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:55 PM

The brother of a coworker of mine selected what is possibly the best engraving text possible:
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #607 on: January 08, 2010, 11:02:13 PM

Aaaand if I ever actually get a new phone, I'm getting that engraving.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS for sure.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: January 09, 2010, 10:08:06 AM

Quick question that I can't seem to find a definite answer to.

On my Droid, all the battery apps/widgets I have found only display the battery life in 10% increments.  Is there any way to see the battery life in more fine grained increments?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: January 09, 2010, 10:15:58 AM

As a happy iphone user, I'll be getting one of these Nexuses for that spot alone if I ever need an unlocked alternative.

Fuck me indeed!  awesome, for real
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: January 09, 2010, 12:20:37 PM

For you N1 owners: How's music playback quality on headphones? I keep reading some stuff about it being a little weak on bass and a little tinny depending on music style.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: January 09, 2010, 10:31:13 PM

Quick question that I can't seem to find a definite answer to.

On my Droid, all the battery apps/widgets I have found only display the battery life in 10% increments.  Is there any way to see the battery life in more fine grained increments?

This is a limitation of the battery driver for the Droid, which only reports to userspace in 10% increments (why? no clue, somebody at moto might know...). 
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: January 09, 2010, 10:32:24 PM

For you N1 owners: How's music playback quality on headphones? I keep reading some stuff about it being a little weak on bass and a little tinny depending on music style.

Sounds fine to me, using the sony in-ear headphones I like.  I'm not even close to audiophile level picky about this sort of thing though, so you probably will want some more data points.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #613 on: January 12, 2010, 02:03:57 PM

I seem to be having a call-goes-straight-to-voicemail problem with my Droid.  The call also does not log in my, uh, call log.  Very occasionally but one time is too many.  Android or Verizon?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: January 12, 2010, 02:58:32 PM

I assume you're not taking calls through Google Voice?

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #615 on: January 12, 2010, 03:27:51 PM

I am not.  I'd very possibly like to set it up but that is a task for another day.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: January 12, 2010, 08:39:40 PM

I seem to be having a call-goes-straight-to-voicemail problem with my Droid.  The call also does not log in my, uh, call log.  Very occasionally but one time is too many.  Android or Verizon?

My suspicion is it'd be a Verizon issue, but I'm much more familiar with UMTS than CDMA network interactions.  Not getting any missed call notification seems strange.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #617 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:33 PM

Heard about this somewhere, can't remember where. Did a quick google for 'straight to voicemail android' and came up with many a hit, with quite a few originating in the UK. So I think it may be an android issue. A quick fix seems to be to use Edge rather than 3G. Aswome solution, I know.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:30 PM

But we're talking about Verizon's CDMA network here, which is a totally different critter than EDGE/UMTS networks... not to say it *couldn't* be an OS or hardware issue, of course, just that I'm not convinced it is in this case.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: January 13, 2010, 04:23:20 AM

So what's this about Google totally screwing up the launch of these things, and the Nexus 1 having shitty g3 reception?
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: January 13, 2010, 08:10:13 AM

Did a quick google for 'straight to voicemail android' and came up with many a hit

I imagine it did since the droid has a contact option called "send calls directly to voicemail".  

I had this problem all the time with my AT&T phone, whenever I was in a deadspot (like for example the 8 hours I was at work) calls would go straight to voice mail as my phone was unreachable.  I would eventually get a new voice mail alert but never get a missed call alert.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:11:52 AM by Salamok »
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: January 13, 2010, 12:29:26 PM

My Nexus One beef is its bad VoIP call quality which is especially disconcerting in light of other phones like the Droid using the same apps and connection over WiFi or 3G having good VoIP call quality.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=4f3e4a5e86767e31&hl=en
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #622 on: January 13, 2010, 12:46:05 PM

So what's this about Google totally screwing up the launch of these things, and the Nexus 1 having shitty g3 reception?

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/01/13/1915242/Nexus-One-Owners-Report-Spotty-3G-Signals-On-T-Mobile
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #623 on: January 13, 2010, 01:33:35 PM

I had this problem all the time with my AT&T phone, whenever I was in a deadspot (like for example the 8 hours I was at work) calls would go straight to voice mail as my phone was unreachable.  I would eventually get a new voice mail alert but never get a missed call alert.

Sounds about right.  Due to geography, Verizon has a shit signal in my house.  I'll blame VZW since I toggled the straight-to-vm box and it still does it from time to time.

Interestingly, one of my contacts was going to VM all day until I toggled that box and things were OK after that.  If not for that occurrence, I'd not suspect Android at all.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #624 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:37 PM

I get the same thing.  Its completely random, but annoying.

I still love my Droid. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #625 on: January 22, 2010, 10:34:09 AM

I've been having this issue lately with my HTC S720 on a CDMA network. Often times I'll even be holding the phone and next thing I know a VM notification comes through and my friends tell me it just went straight through to my VM.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:21 PM

Christ, I wish there was some info on when Google's going to expand that silly selling scheme of theirs to include bumfuck countries like Belgium, where I live.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: January 29, 2010, 06:42:02 AM

I'm switching back to Verizon once they get the Nexus One.  Can anyone compare the G1 to the Nexus One in regards to the keyboard, or lack of one?
schild
Administrator

Reply #628 on: January 29, 2010, 06:45:01 AM

I just switched over to the Nexus One. The soft keyboard is lacking compared to hardware ones, but every single thing about the phone is better. From speed to the external speaker to the menus to the performance of Google Maps. It's just an all around fantastic phone... except for the lack of butans. It makes the Droid look relatively primitive as well. Oh, and it has the best camera I've experienced on a phone yet. Dropbox needs to make an Android app so I can sync seamlessly.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: January 29, 2010, 06:51:13 AM

Those were my assumptions.  Now Verizon needs to move chop chop like.  I wonder how much this will cost me to leave my contract months early and canceling my family plan and opening a new one.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: