Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 03:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 819969 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #560 on: January 05, 2010, 01:24:10 AM

So on the droid I have 2 email programs pointing to the same email account, I don't see a way to remove either email app (one is called email and the other is gmail).  I get 2 email alerts for every email and they store the messages in different locations (if I delete in the gmail app the email is still in the email app).  Once again neither one of these apps show up under "manage applications".

Anyone else have this issue and/or a solution?

If this account is a gmail account (I'm assuming it is, since the gmail app can only talk to gmail, but the email app which speaks pop/imap can *also* talk to gmail), I'd advise removing the account from the email app:

1. launch email
2. press MENU button
3. choose Accounts
4. long press on your account (touch and hold for ~2 seconds)
5. select "Remove Account" from the popup menu
6. victory
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: January 05, 2010, 08:41:25 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/nexus-one-review/

Here's a review.  It looks like an improvement over the G1 but it's not much a glowing review as I expected.  I'm still looking forward to trying one out once it hits the streets.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #562 on: January 05, 2010, 09:20:16 AM

I'd take a review that basically ignores any of the new functionality of the platform/device in favor of whining about multitouch and it not being an iphone with a grain of salt.

No device is perfect, but the reviewer in this case is maybe just a tiny little bit biased. ^^
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #563 on: January 05, 2010, 09:35:56 AM

From over here, it's just sounding like you're REALLY defensive about multitouch :)

Is that a limitation of the hardware or the software? I thought it was just the software.

The thing that troubles me more is them being down on the audio player. I haven't played with the droid extensively but I hope there is one coming down that brings it into line with the iphone functionality - for me, key features are playlists, variable scrubbing, remembering where in the file you left off, and pausing/resuming when calls come in. Basically, dealing with audiobooks with hour+ long files, which is what I use it for mostly.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: January 05, 2010, 09:50:12 AM

A couple liveblogs:  Ars Technica    Edit:  the Android Central liveblog is terrible.  How hard is it to just type what you see/hear.  

I have $530 staring at me, wondering whether it will be spent on a phone today.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:15:23 AM by ffc »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: January 05, 2010, 09:52:04 AM

I've decided against it unfortunately, as everything I read says that T-Mobile 3g coverage here is spotty at best (and I don't see the point in having a smartphone without good 3g) :(.

Now I need to decide if I want to switch to VZ and get the droid, or wait till Nov (when my contract with sprint is up) and see what uber Android devices are out then.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: January 05, 2010, 10:42:05 AM

The deciding factor will be whether or not the on screen keyboard sucks compared to my G1.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:32 AM

http://www.google.com/phone is up.  I couldn't stop clicking blue buttons.  Bought one.  Eep.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #568 on: January 05, 2010, 10:49:13 AM

well, looks good.  Predictable they would do this.  PC will be next.

I wonder if they will copy and index our phone calls?  Serious question.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: January 05, 2010, 10:50:27 AM

Site says verizon coming spring 2010.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:52:11 AM by KallDrexx »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: January 05, 2010, 10:53:34 AM

My girlfriend is on my tmobile plan and I can't modify it on that site.  I guess I could call or go to the store and see what the deal is.

Edit:
I just called the local Tmobile store and they said they won't be carrying them in stores.  What the fuck is this?  I can't demo the phone first?

Edit2:
I'm getting this bullshit:
You are not eligible for an upgrade at this time. You are not eligible to add a new line at this time. We can only modify individual postpaid plans in your name. We will not be able to make changes to your plan if you have a family, shared, corporate, "Pay as You Go", or "Even More Plus" plan. You can still purchase the phone without T-Mobile service.

I'm got a shared/family plan right now.  I'm not spending $529.00 for an upgrade.  Fuck you Google.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:04:50 AM by Draegan »
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: January 05, 2010, 10:58:45 AM

Nope everything but coverage is done by Google.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: January 05, 2010, 11:11:24 AM

I think I'm going to drop Tmobile when I runs out and go back to Verizon this year.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: January 05, 2010, 11:39:13 AM

Clint Ecker:
"The Nexus One's antenna supports four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900) and three 3G bands (bands 1, 4, and 8). These cover most major GSM mobile providers worldwide; however, the 3G band used by AT&T and Rogers is not supported."

So no Nexus one for me as the only GSM provider in Canada is a no go.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: January 05, 2010, 12:36:29 PM

The thing that troubles me more is them being down on the audio player. I haven't played with the droid extensively but I hope there is one coming down that brings it into line with the iphone functionality - for me, key features are playlists, variable scrubbing, remembering where in the file you left off, and pausing/resuming when calls come in. Basically, dealing with audiobooks with hour+ long files, which is what I use it for mostly.

The integrated audio player could definitely use some TLC.  An EQ would be at the top of my list with better playlist functionality coming in a close 2nd.

edit:
If this account is a gmail account (I'm assuming it is, since the gmail app can only talk to gmail, but the email app which speaks pop/imap can *also* talk to gmail), I'd advise removing the account from the email app:

1. launch email
2. press MENU button
3. choose Accounts
4. long press on your account (touch and hold for ~2 seconds)
5. select "Remove Account" from the popup menu
6. victory
Works great thanks!  Either the manual for my droid was left behind at the store or it didn't come with one.  All I have is the 6 page quick start guide.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:39:00 PM by Salamok »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #575 on: January 05, 2010, 02:17:40 PM

There are PDFs laying around, like on this guy's site: http://www.wayneschulz.com/2009/11/verizon-droid-manual-pdf/

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #576 on: January 05, 2010, 03:02:02 PM

Catching up on a couple of things:

1. Copying Google Maps results to turn by turn apps:  Wut?  Latest Android Google Maps has turn by turn built in.  You find a place and hit 'Navigate' and it reads directions to you like a pro.  Go look at a chart of Garmin and Tom Tom's stock price.

2. Navigating 5 menus to kill an app: No.  Install an app called TasKiller.  Add the widget to the home screen.  Poke an icon to kill an app.  And regardless of how Google and Quinton hope and want it to work, how it actually works is I have to kill apps pretty regularly to avoid losing a full battery charge in less than a day and/or getting out of what seems like a loop eating up the cpu.

3. Nexus One = soft keyboard only = dealbreaker.  if I wanted to type on a touchscreen I would have bought an iphone.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #577 on: January 05, 2010, 03:27:56 PM

Catching up on a couple of things:

1. Copying Google Maps results to turn by turn apps:  Wut?  Latest Android Google Maps has turn by turn built in.  You find a place and hit 'Navigate' and it reads directions to you like a pro.  Go look at a chart of Garmin and Tom Tom's stock price.
In the toilet.  They were in trouble, anyway, my first GPS nav was a Garmin because they and Magellan were *it*, my last two were "GPS Navigation For Dummies" ($99) and Pharos ($49), which both have all of the features of the $400 models from the majors (only thing they lack is traffic updates).  Garmin and company were disabling basic features of their low-end sets in software, For Dummies/Pharos are that same hardware without the crippleware.

A $50 in-car GPS can compete with Android, the $600 premium kits have no way to be superior as navigation aids to an Android phone/palmtop/netbook, and are in the same price range without having all the other features.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #578 on: January 05, 2010, 03:51:44 PM

Too expensive :(

They should've made some sort of special allowance for G1 early adopters... just because.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: January 05, 2010, 03:52:40 PM

3. Nexus One = soft keyboard only = dealbreaker.  if I wanted to type on a touchscreen I would have bought an iphone.

It has voice-to-text in all text fields (as will everything 2.1 I think).  I'm hoping it actually works.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #580 on: January 05, 2010, 05:00:47 PM

So no Nexus one for me as the only GSM provider in Canada is a no go.

WIND carries the 3G band that the Nexus One uses. Also, Bell and Telus are GSM now.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:36 AM

Too expensive :(

They should've made some sort of special allowance for G1 early adopters... just because.

Yeah.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: January 06, 2010, 07:26:26 AM

WIND carries the 3G band that the Nexus One uses. Also, Bell and Telus are GSM now.

Ah I thought Bell/Telus hadn't switched to GSM yet. I guess that was the iPhone hoopla?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #583 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:05 AM

Ah I thought Bell/Telus hadn't switched to GSM yet. I guess that was the iPhone hoopla?

Yeah, despite them not offering better plans. Go Canadian wireless!
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: January 06, 2010, 09:40:10 AM

Yeah, despite them not offering better plans. Go Canadian wireless!

Yeah that's the truth. Bell's network for the iPhone, thought it was still a CDMA but its all HSPA from some reading on it. I cannot find out if the bands are compatible tho. I really would look at switching from Rogers as a friends phone still has signal in various buildings where my Rogers GSM one looses signal all together. One other huge thing is if you attempt to even go to say Newfoundland and outside the avalon peninsula (ie 50% of the population) you have zero service with Rogers. I digress, Canadian wireless pricing is still insane.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #585 on: January 06, 2010, 12:30:06 PM

2. Navigating 5 menus to kill an app: No.  Install an app called TasKiller.  Add the widget to the home screen.  Poke an icon to kill an app.  And regardless of how Google and Quinton hope and want it to work, how it actually works is I have to kill apps pretty regularly to avoid losing a full battery charge in less than a day and/or getting out of what seems like a loop eating up the cpu.

Right, I need to install TaskKiller because that's the only way I know how to stop the music player.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: January 06, 2010, 01:52:45 PM

Yeah that's the truth. Bell's network for the iPhone, thought it was still a CDMA but its all HSPA from some reading on it. I cannot find out if the bands are compatible tho. I really would look at switching from Rogers as a friends phone still has signal in various buildings where my Rogers GSM one looses signal all together. One other huge thing is if you attempt to even go to say Newfoundland and outside the avalon peninsula (ie 50% of the population) you have zero service with Rogers. I digress, Canadian wireless pricing is still insane.

If you are in a civilized area, Wind's spectrum covers the same crap bands as T-Mobile so it is a go for HSDPA speeds with them.  It will roam on Bell-Telus and Rogers-Fido at GPRS speeds though if you are tied to a thirty year contract already.

Yes, Canadian wireless prices are still out of whack with the rest of the world.  But hey, so is everything else.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: January 06, 2010, 02:19:35 PM

Sweet.  Going to get the Motorola Droid tomorrow.  I just got a Google Voice invite as well (and got a GV number).  If I just give people my GV number, is it easy to just use GV for SMS and not have to get the Verizon messaging plans?
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: January 06, 2010, 03:06:56 PM

Can't buy it in Belgium yet.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Guess it's better that way. Found out about the Marvell Armada chip, which blows the pants off the Snapdragon, at least on paper. And tripped over the Motorola Shadow rumors. Hope some more info will be released about both things before I can get my hands on the N1.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: January 06, 2010, 06:58:09 PM

Sweet.  Going to get the Motorola Droid tomorrow.  I just got a Google Voice invite as well (and got a GV number).  If I just give people my GV number, is it easy to just use GV for SMS and not have to get the Verizon messaging plans?

I only tried to use my GV number for texting one day and there was about a half hour delay between messages. That was texts from AT&T to my Sprint phone so I'm not sure where the issue was coming from but that was about a month ago.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:25:42 PM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: January 07, 2010, 04:17:54 AM

I need some help from an Android pro.  I set up my Nexus One to dial in/out using my Google Voice number and Gizmo5 account via the Google Voice app (factory installed) and Sipdroid app (downloaded) over WiFi.  Then I get lost.

If I dial out using the Phone/Contacts app, Sipdroid successfully sends it out but Gizmo5 charges me for the call.  I cannot figure out how to dial out on the phone with either the Phone/Contacts app, the Google Voice app, or by logging into google.com/voice on the phone's browser, to make Google Voice "call back" my phone so Sipdroid picks it up after which Google Voice would connect me to the number I dialed out.  

Also, is the Voice app only good for SMS and checking voicemails?  I cannot see how to dial out through the Voice app.  Similarly I cannot see how to dial out by going through the google.com/voice website on my phone whereas that option exists when I go to the website on my computer.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: January 07, 2010, 05:30:09 AM

Also, is the Voice app only good for SMS and checking voicemails?  I cannot see how to dial out through the Voice app.  Similarly I cannot see how to dial out by going through the google.com/voice website on my phone whereas that option exists when I go to the website on my computer.

from the google voice app on your phone: menu, settings. Under general,  making calls. change your selection.

I'm wondering why you need sipdroid if you have google voice, unless  you are using the phone  to  work with a preexsting setup?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:41:11 AM by sigil »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #592 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:15 AM

I only tried to use my GV number for texting one day and there was about a half hour delay between messages. That was texts from AT&T to my Sprint phone so I'm not sure where the issue was coming from but that was about a month ago.

In my experience from sending text to my wife's Nextel from Verizon phones, it is probably a Sprint problem.

MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:37 PM

Is that using Google Voice anywhere in that sequence? When using my Sprint number to text her at AT&T everything is dandy but to send and receive texts with her through my Google Voice to her is when there was the delay. If it wasn't for that I would use my Google number for everything but now I just use it for voicemail which is still awesome. The voicemail transcribing is next to worthless most of the time but having it play the "this number is no longer in service" recording to numbers that I block is  Heart

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: January 07, 2010, 12:36:25 PM

from the google voice app on your phone: menu, settings. Under general,  making calls. change your selection.

I'm wondering why you need sipdroid if you have google voice, unless  you are using the phone  to  work with a preexsting setup?

Yep I have it set up in the Voice app just like that.  And in Voice (through my PC) I have it set up to dial my Gizmo5 number, which is why I need Sipdroid on my phone.  Sipdroid picks up Gizmo5.  This lets me place calls over wifi without using phone minutes.  At least in theory.  It's not working for me.

If you just use the Voice app without Sipdroid, then when you place a call Voice will use your cell phone minutes.  I think.  This is what I want to avoid with Gizmo5/Sipdroid.  But like I said I can't make Voice call Sipdroid on an outgoing call from my phone.  

I may not be explaining this clearly.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: