Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 05:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 825246 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #245 on: June 21, 2009, 03:05:56 PM

I'm pretty sure they finally got the message.  To the best of my knowledge, all their post-Magic Android devices have a 3.5mm headphone jack.  Wish they had done that for Magic though.  That's my only gripe with the device.  I miss the hard keyboard, but it's a great phone.

The multifunction USB port is *awesome* because it exposes a TTL level serial port which is just about the best thing evar for kernel debugging.  They just need to stop using it for the headphone interface.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #246 on: June 22, 2009, 04:05:52 AM

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:11:02 AM by Trippy »
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: June 22, 2009, 08:41:34 AM

I just got the HTC dream(same as teh t-mobile g1) on Saturday.
I get to work this morning and see that t-mobile has announced a new phone. I figured this is typical as you can never seem to keep up with technology, but in my case it it always seems like the next fucking day is when they announce these things.

To my relief though I see that T-Mobiles new phone is just the HTC Magic here in Canada which we already had. So I'm happy I'm not behind the technology curve again :)

That being said I love my new Dream. It was a toss up between that and the new iphone3g s but I don't feel any regret at all for going for this and it has all been good so far.
My only niggling complaint is that the apps are stored on the phones memory and not the SD card. I know that I can root the os and correct that myself but that should really not be necessary.

Overall though I'm a pretty happy camper.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #248 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Apparently I will need to try each.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: June 23, 2009, 06:57:12 PM

Pre > all

*ducks*
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: June 25, 2009, 05:15:45 AM

Got a Magic, the thing owns.

Am considering rooting it, but every custom ROM claims to be Baby Jesus and implements that silly Hero theme, so fuck it.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: June 29, 2009, 01:08:33 PM

If you do Root it, let me know how it goes as I am thinking of doing this.

Professional Forum Lurker.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #252 on: July 09, 2009, 05:41:03 AM

Interface vid for (unannounced) Sony Xperia

All I want is nice camera phone like this mixed with the slick walkman phone features... But I figured it's worth mentioning. It's android, 8 mp cam, with 3d acceleration.
schild
Administrator

Reply #253 on: July 09, 2009, 05:58:05 AM

Ah shit, the Xperia is Android now? When the X1 was announced it was WinMo. Well, this is interesting.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #254 on: July 09, 2009, 06:10:56 AM

The look of those stacked cards needs a lot more work.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #255 on: July 09, 2009, 03:43:07 PM

HTC's Hero has a nicer interface (the weather raindrops... nice touch!), but the Sony hardware is nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCodXvFrz5E

[edit] I said "nice" 3 times..  Sorry about that. swamp poop
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:47:22 PM by stray »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 10, 2009, 08:46:05 AM

I like those widgets on the Hero.  Not sure which would be better, the G1 or the mytouch.  Hrmrmrm.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 14, 2009, 08:33:17 AM

What I want from SE is their hardware, the standard Android interface, the HTC keyboard (unless SE comes up with something equivalent) and maybe dialer, and some XMB alike media player.

Ohhhhh, I see.

--edit: Also, haven't rooted my Magic yet. Every ROM seems to have issues I don't want to deal with, especially those battery runtime related ones.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:34:49 AM by TripleDES »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: July 14, 2009, 11:59:04 PM

I like those widgets on the Hero.  Not sure which would be better, the G1 or the mytouch.  Hrmrmrm.

I personally prefer sapphire (aka Magic, aka MyTouch), as a better phone (smaller, fits better in my hand, larger battery, more flash for installable apps), but if you're a heavy email/im/messaging user, the lack of a hard keyboard may be a deal breaker.
schild
Administrator

Reply #259 on: July 15, 2009, 12:42:06 AM

I suppose the question becomes, since we know the G1 has been simply hacked for multitouch (afaik), will the HERO Rom net multitouch on the G1 and beyond (for phones that didn't ship with it)?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #260 on: July 30, 2009, 11:12:43 AM

Question:

I am coming to the US of A with my brand new HTC Magic. Of course, my internet connection, unless I find open wirelesses, will be unsuable as there's no roaming for my lousy Italian 2gb/month contract.

GPS will then be pretty useless.

Is there any way (hacks, cracks, tricks) to pre-download maps I am interested in and have the GPS work without internet access? I mean, the locator is always on, if I understand the technology right, so the problem is only to see yourself on maps (that you are supposed to download on the go), right?

Sorry for sounding as technological as my grandmother, but I really know nothing about telephones.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: July 30, 2009, 12:02:30 PM

Sadly, the maps app does not have a way to pre-cache map tiles.  I believe this is partially due to limitations in how the map data can be used (since it is provided by third parties under license).  I'm not aware of anyone hacking the maps app to cache or building a competing app which does, though it's not impossible that somebody is doing that.

As we're pretty backwards in terms of cellular network options here in the states, I don't think you can buy a prepaid SIM or anything like that (but maybe I'm wrong!).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #262 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:40 PM

As we're pretty backwards in terms of cellular network options here in the states, I don't think you can buy a prepaid SIM or anything like that (but maybe I'm wrong!).
T-Mobile used to sell these. Dunno if they do anymore.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: July 31, 2009, 01:07:48 AM

Thanks a lot. Turns out it's very expensive for me to use internet access while in the US but apparently I can, so I will probably use it as a final emergency solution. Like login, locate myself, logout. My fee, while abroad, will be 10 euros for 5mb of traffic. Harsh.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #264 on: July 31, 2009, 01:13:49 AM

Make sure you turn of Internet access before coming over. If you leave it on accidentally and there are background Internet apps that "poll" regularly (email is usually the culprit) you may end up with thousands of Euros in charges as people with iPhones have found out when traveling with their phones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: July 31, 2009, 05:14:48 AM

Thanks Trippy. That has been my main concern since I got the Magic, cause I am not even sure how to turn that off. Better, I know how to switch ALL connections off, but I would like to keep the wireless on to pick up open hotspots while at the same time being supersure it won't ever use the pay-to-connect built in function. And I am still not feeling comfortable about it.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: July 31, 2009, 10:15:53 PM

Thanks Trippy. That has been my main concern since I got the Magic, cause I am not even sure how to turn that off. Better, I know how to switch ALL connections off, but I would like to keep the wireless on to pick up open hotspots while at the same time being supersure it won't ever use the pay-to-connect built in function. And I am still not feeling comfortable about it.

I've been bugging people about adding a feature where you can keep wifi on when in "airplane mode" (GSM/UMTS radio disabled).  Maybe in an upcoming version of the platform.

What you might try is dialing *#*#INFO#*#* then selecting the Phone Info panel, MENU, More Options, Disable Data and Disable Data On Boot.  I think that should be in production Magic builds -- you'll have to go back through the same sequence again to turn things back on, but I believe if you turn data off that way it is not possible for apps to re-enable it behind your back.  Be sure to test first, YMMV, etc.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: August 01, 2009, 11:23:38 AM

Mmmmm if I got it right, Apndroid is what I am looking for. It prevents the phone from roaming for "data" while keeping the "voice" signal active. Says it bluntly modifies APN names preventing the phone from using them, without cutting out the normal signal.

EDIT: This too.

Does it make sense?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:27:37 AM by Falconeer »

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: August 01, 2009, 12:59:23 PM

Mmmmm if I got it right, Apndroid is what I am looking for. It prevents the phone from roaming for "data" while keeping the "voice" signal active. Says it bluntly modifies APN names preventing the phone from using them, without cutting out the normal signal.

EDIT: This too.

Does it make sense?

Yup.  If the device has no matching APN info in its local database, it won't be able to initiate a data connection.  Voice will not be affected.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: August 01, 2009, 01:27:15 PM

There's a simple setting called Wireless > Mobile Network > Data Roaming, which you uncheck. There.

I live in Belgium near the German border and go back and forth quite often. When on foreign networks, the phone refuses to do data.

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: August 01, 2009, 04:26:10 PM

Anyone using Google voice on their android? If so how well it does it snap in to the existing phone? (In Canada and unable to use it)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: August 01, 2009, 04:27:05 PM

There's a simple setting called Wireless > Mobile Network > Data Roaming, which you uncheck. There.

From the info I gathered from Italians in the US with my same Italian provider, unchecking that option prevents them from talking, too. Don't ask me why, just field experience  awesome, for real

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #272 on: August 06, 2009, 12:34:36 PM

Ah shit, the Xperia is Android now? When the X1 was announced it was WinMo. Well, this is interesting.

Ah shit my bad. It's definitely Windows Mobile. I thought I should correct myself here...

Still nice though.. and X2 as well. Too bad North America sucks.
schild
Administrator

Reply #273 on: August 06, 2009, 12:38:19 PM

Ah shit my bad. It's definitely Windows Mobile. I thought I should correct myself here...

Still nice though.. and X2 as well. Too bad North America sucks.
Uh, no. That video you linked here is definitely XPERIA (right screen shape) running Android. The current Xperia is of course WinMo. Not like they can go back in time and change that.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #274 on: August 06, 2009, 02:30:49 PM

doh! i correct myself on the correction then. i'd like to get it, but it's just too much. i don't mind windows mobile (or windows now, for that matter).
schild
Administrator

Reply #275 on: August 06, 2009, 02:31:59 PM

I fully intend on getting the XPERIA any way I can once it's released with Android. Hopefully an unlocked one.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: August 09, 2009, 03:07:18 PM

I finally slapped a custom ROM on my HTC Magic. It's actually pretty nice, it let me get rid of the HTC stuff, which unbroke various things. And it seems faster alreay without overclocking the CPU.

As far as the Android Xperia goes, I wish these Sony Ericsson faggots would release some more information. Right now it ain't clear what OS it'll run. That UI video could be very well a fake. One reason I believe this is because what was shown was even more gimmicky than HTC's TouchFlo. That's not usable, that's just shit. Plus that button on the phone strangely resembling the Windows logo...

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #277 on: September 09, 2009, 09:32:51 AM

I seem to have sold myself on an Andriod phone somehow, trouble is that my options seem limited to the G1 at the moment.  Considering I likely won't have this BB Curve after October 15 and I'd like to do a transfer of my rather large address book, I don't have a lot of time to wait for the X2 to arrive, or the rumored HTC Desire, or anything not a G1 or myTouch.

G1 seems like a winner due to hard keyboard, but I'm not at all sure how much a OSKB will piss me off.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: September 10, 2009, 03:32:35 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #279 on: September 10, 2009, 03:43:52 PM

Motorola blurs something alright, the line between ugly and uglier.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: