Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 811062 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2520 on: May 23, 2016, 12:42:54 PM

6P is the way to go, especially with Google wanting to now go full-bore into VR.

The 6P will be phone (once patched up to Android N) to support the new venture.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2521 on: May 23, 2016, 12:54:02 PM

I ordered a 6P and will do surgery on my VZW SIM.  Problem solved.

The S5 had a great run, but the combination of Samsung and VZW cruft is getting me down.  Also Android N is coming, and I don't even have Marshmallow.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2522 on: May 23, 2016, 12:58:38 PM

Yeah, the hope with the release of Android N on new phones is that the base O/S will be partitioned away from what manufacturers and mobile networks will do as far as after-market fluff goes. The fluff will still be there, but starting with N, Google can push out O/S patches and updates independent of the whims of said manufacturers and mobile networks.

It sounds like a lot of swamp poop just to do an O/S update, but it's either that or do it the way Apple does: "It's our fucking phone, our fucking software, and our fucking highway. Do as we say or fuck off."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2523 on: July 20, 2016, 08:45:27 AM

Wanted to get the 6P, but they gave me a wicked deal through VZW to upgrade to the S7 Edge, so that happened.

Really, the only bloatware that has bothered me has been Google Play's insistence on starting up in the background and slaying my battery. If anyone knows a way to shut that shit down for good, I'd be interested. I do use it for music (until I can get my stuff migrated over to the Synology), but it's not worth the constant assault on the battery.

Any night I'm playing Galaxy of Heroes in bed and the low battery beeps? Google Play opened up in the background.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2524 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49:31 AM

I don't have that problem on the 6P so I don't know what to tell you.  Battery management on the 6P with M is amazing.  Might be some setting somewhere to toggle?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2525 on: July 20, 2016, 06:31:20 PM

Wanted to get the 6P, but they gave me a wicked deal through VZW to upgrade to the S7 Edge, so that happened.

Really, the only bloatware that has bothered me has been Google Play's insistence on starting up in the background and slaying my battery. If anyone knows a way to shut that shit down for good, I'd be interested. I do use it for music (until I can get my stuff migrated over to the Synology), but it's not worth the constant assault on the battery.

Any night I'm playing Galaxy of Heroes in bed and the low battery beeps? Google Play opened up in the background.

Unless that "wicked deal" was a free phone and unlimited/no-bottleneck cap data, you should have gone with the 6P. :P

Anyways, maybe dig around in this thread? http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/google-play-services-t3354184

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2526 on: July 20, 2016, 08:11:15 PM

Unless that "wicked deal" was a free phone and unlimited/no-bottleneck cap data, you should have gone with the 6P. :P
We're ok with our data, I hardly use any and she pays overages (she uses a lot). We need the VZW network, coverage out here sucks on the other networks.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2527 on: July 21, 2016, 11:10:40 AM

I like Android, but I also fucking hate Android. Who knew Factory Reset Protection was a thing and it's possible to permanently lock yourself out of your own phone. Android/Google won't support you unless it's Nexus and Blackberry hasn't the slightest fucking clue how to fix it because it's actually all handled on Google's side. I remember a year or so ago we had someone from Android posting here, are they still around?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2528 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:26 AM

I just cut down my VZW SIM card so it would fit inside the 6P and I have the best of both worlds.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2529 on: July 21, 2016, 11:20:04 AM

I like Android, but I also fucking hate Android. Who knew Factory Reset Protection was a thing and it's possible to permanently lock yourself out of your own phone. Android/Google won't support you unless it's Nexus and Blackberry hasn't the slightest fucking clue how to fix it because it's actually all handled on Google's side. I remember a year or so ago we had someone from Android posting here, are they still around?

/u/Quinton

I'm not sure that will work here though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2530 on: July 21, 2016, 11:21:02 AM

He has changed employers.  Might still contain secrets.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2531 on: July 22, 2016, 12:18:01 AM

Back at Google these days, but working on something entirely different and haven't been in the loop on Android since 2013 (9 years was a long time).  "Factory Reset Protection" appears to be something (one of many, not all of which seem like good ideas) they've invented since I left...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2532 on: July 28, 2016, 12:20:45 PM

Just chipping in to say fuck that shit also, as somebody who does tech support for a very large organization where people trade work phones as they rotate in and out of post on a yearly basis.  Both Android and Apple do this shit.  We just had to put up instructions to our users about making sure they've logged out of everything on the device before handing it back into us and leaving the country.  Because it practically bricks the device otherwise.

Why in gods name would a factory reset not actually reset to factory status?

Quinton and Surlyboi, please tell your bosses the Enterprise customers are not amused.   why so serious?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:24:15 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2533 on: July 28, 2016, 12:53:19 PM

C level execs don't give a shit about "Enterprise" features/usability anymore. All they care about is BYOD so they can offload the cost of hardware to their employees.

Just like they want everything "cloud" so that they can say they spent less on capex.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #2534 on: July 29, 2016, 09:59:30 PM

I have no idea what genius decided it'd be a "feature" to disable the ability to wipe and re-image a device unless you can successfully log into it.  I certainly would not have stood for such insanity back when I was still responsible for the boot path, especially given how hard we had to fight for unlockable bootloaders, etc, back in the day.  Fighting the stupid was killing my will to live though and being angry all the time just isn't worth it -- life's too short.  So I moved on.

Success can be painful.  Ship a few billion phones and suddenly you can't get anything useful done any more because it's too important to the company for all kinds of useless people to not interfere with development.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2535 on: July 30, 2016, 02:27:19 PM

Isn't iOS the same way?  My understanding is the point is that you can't just steal someone's phone and just reflash it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2536 on: August 01, 2016, 12:54:47 PM

Considering what phones are used for these days, that seems rather reasonable.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2537 on: August 25, 2016, 05:58:53 AM

I just bought a Chromecast device and tried it for the first time. WOW  Love Letters Love Letters Love Letters Love Letters

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2538 on: August 25, 2016, 06:05:07 AM

I just bought a Chromecast device and tried it for the first time. WOW 

Yeah those things are amazing.
If only Amazon got their shit together and put out and Android App with Chromcast support for Instant Video...

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2539 on: August 25, 2016, 06:12:48 AM

If only Amazon got their shit together and put out and Android App with Chromcast support for Instant Video...

Yeah, I mean, I have a good monitor and whatnot, but let's say my GF is using the PC , at the same time I can watch a nice 1080p youtube video (gaming let's play, music etc; there's even Twitch although I haven't tried it yet) stranded on my couch and on a screen that is bigger than a smartphone or a tablet (that I don't own, anyway).

LATE EDIT: Oh, and this afternoon, after the purchase, I also decided to subscribe to Netflix for the first time (which works flawlessy with Chromecast).

To be honest, I'm currently struggling with handling all this awesomeness at once  why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:41:18 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2540 on: August 25, 2016, 12:50:02 PM

Isn't iOS the same way?  My understanding is the point is that you can't just steal someone's phone and just reflash it.

The problem here is that it triggered on a regular reset. I understand the idea of FRP being triggered on bootloader resets and it makes sense. Unfortunately, there happens to be a scenario where you can trigger it on what they even call "safe" resets. Since part of a "safe" reset is that you remove your account and then reset, it also means you can't get back into the phone if it decides to trigger anyway.

Trying to get this fixed has been the worst experience I've had. That's saying a lot because I've had to deal with Steam support a few times in the past couple of years. Surprisingly Blackberry has been the most helpful throughout all of this, even going so far as to call up my carrier to chew them out over not honoring my warranty. Find out today if they fixed it, but I'm not hopeful with their listed resolution showing up as "Screening". I don't even know what that could possibly be.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2541 on: August 26, 2016, 02:26:40 AM

Yeah, I mean, I have a good monitor and whatnot, but let's say my GF is using the PC , at the same time I can watch a nice 1080p youtube video (gaming let's play, music etc; there's even Twitch although I haven't tried it yet) stranded on my couch and on a screen that is bigger than a smartphone or a tablet (that I don't own, anyway).

LATE EDIT: Oh, and this afternoon, after the purchase, I also decided to subscribe to Netflix for the first time (which works flawlessy with Chromecast).

To be honest, I'm currently struggling with handling all this awesomeness at once  why so serious? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Got 2 CCs for both our TVs. Cut our cable TV, got Netflix, Google Play Films and Amazon Instant Video plus we can stream any 'real' TV , too via the 'mirror' option if need be. Get your fix ;)

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2542 on: September 02, 2016, 11:08:29 AM

So I grabbed the Note 7 when it launched, and it's awesome...but they're all being recalled now because apparently the battery can catch fire. Yay.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2543 on: September 02, 2016, 01:27:31 PM

So I grabbed the Note 7 when it launched, and it's awesome...but they're all being recalled now because apparently the battery can catch fire. Yay.

I just can't decide how much I'd hate the daft curved edges of the screen. I imagine myself picking it up and thinking "BUT WHY?!" every time.

Elsewhere, it appears the Nexus programme is dead.

But in entirely unrelated  news google are apparently planning to launch a revolutionary new programme where they co-design phones with major OEMs and will sell them running a non-fucked up version of Android, phones to be called 'Pixel'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2544 on: September 02, 2016, 01:52:48 PM

When I had to upgrade I tried out my buddy's 7 edge to see if it would make me crazy. It definitely happens now and again, but nowhere near as much as I thought, and having a larger screen with no extra width over my old 5 is pretty sweet. Been real happy with it.

Then again, it don't catch fire like the note.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2545 on: September 12, 2016, 03:47:19 AM

My biggest issue with the Edge is that you lose screen real estate to the curved edges. The S7 Edge has the same 2560×1440 resolution as the S7 but loses some of those pixels to the area that is curved.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2546 on: September 12, 2016, 07:23:11 PM

• Curved TV
  • Curved Phone

Bleh.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2547 on: September 13, 2016, 03:05:25 PM

My desperate need for a new phone was diminished by replacing my shattered screen and dying battery on my Nexus 5. Far from 'new phone' territory but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to do.

In the meanwhile I'm hoping that the new Pixels are good phones but I've never been too impressed with the production quality of HTC phones. Even the expensive polished ones seem to feel kind of cheap.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2548 on: October 24, 2016, 11:28:48 AM

One plus 3 arrived this weekend, and I am really pleased with it.

I particular having a mode for accurate colour instead of the awful over-saturation that all phones run by defaul is a godsend, almost zero bloatware, the dash charging is faster than anything I've seen before, and the 1080p resolution seems to give much better battery life with a resolution that to my eye looks identical to the 1440 nonsense.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2549 on: October 25, 2016, 06:14:31 AM

Isn't One Plus 3 that anime about asian pirates?

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2550 on: October 26, 2016, 09:20:09 AM

I got tired of my Nexus 5 having shitty, shitty reception ever since replacing the screen (I suspect that the screen was somehow affecting things? I checked the wires and connections but couldn't find any problems) I am now the proud owner of a 6P as the Pixel was just too damn expensive.

On the one hand this thing is massive and one handed operation isn't really feasible anymore. On the other hand it's pretty cool having another row and column for icons on the homescreen. Also much, much faster and I've got twice the storage space. I can't even imagine the upgrade feel if I had been moving to a Pixel.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2551 on: October 26, 2016, 09:33:11 AM

I got tired of my Nexus 5 having shitty, shitty reception ever since replacing the screen (I suspect that the screen was somehow affecting things? I checked the wires and connections but couldn't find any problems) I am now the proud owner of a 6P as the Pixel was just too damn expensive.

On the one hand this thing is massive and one handed operation isn't really feasible anymore. On the other hand it's pretty cool having another row and column for icons on the homescreen. Also much, much faster and I've got twice the storage space. I can't even imagine the upgrade feel if I had been moving to a Pixel.

I don't trust 1st gen tech so the Pixel, even though it is basically just a re-branding, I have no interest in. My 6P is just fine thanks.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2552 on: October 26, 2016, 09:33:43 AM

Yeah, time for a big bloat release, hardware is running things too smoothly now. My s7 edge is smooth af and the battery lasts me 2+ days.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2553 on: October 29, 2016, 05:47:09 PM

The husband and I ordered new phones today and delivery is scheduled for 12/9 - both of us are getting Pixel XL phones. WTF is up with the XL not coming in blue though?

Anyway, as part of the deal, we now have an Asus ZenPad 10, which means I can cruise the interwebs sitting in my chair. So nice.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2554 on: November 23, 2016, 12:45:57 PM

So, anyone here know of an APP or Software solution that will  let me back-up a Galaxy S3 that actually WORKS on windows 10? 

I am getting ready to pull the plug on a new phone what with Black Friday promotions going on, so I want to backup my current S3.  Problem is, literally nothing I have tried  actually  lets me get my device recognized on my Win 10 machine when I plug it in.   None  of the drivers from any  of the samsung official product bundles seem to work with Win 10, so  i get stuck with driver errors attempting to get my PC to recognize my phone.

been driving me nuts.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: