Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Redbelt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Redbelt  (Read 2317 times)
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

on: October 17, 2008, 09:05:06 AM

Just saw it two nights ago.

Stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, who Im a fan of from his work in various movies such as Love Actually, Four Brothers, and Serenity (and his upcoming turn as President Thabo Mbeki in Endgame).

Stars LOTS of decently big name actors and actresses (Alice Braga, Tim Allen, Joe Mantegna)  including a 3 second cameo by Ed O'Neil (of Al Bundy fame). It also seems to star half the cast of CBS' hit series The Unit (Max Martini and two others).
Its a farely decent martial arts morality tale. If you liked the original BloodSport which propelled Jean Claude Van Damme to his brief fame then you will like this film, of course I think the acting in this film is superior to Bloodsport but the plots are similar.

Edit- Come to find out David Mamet which directs this film produces CBS' The Unit which might be why there are so many actor/actress cross-overs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:22:58 AM by Broughden »

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:14:48 AM

I love listening to that guy talk, I don't even care what it's about. I'll check this out.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:38:58 AM

I just saw this and think your description is...insufficient.  My apologies for the major necro, but as a film, this is much better than Bloodsport. If you liked Bloodsport but are older since you saw it (and it does come across as a bit cheesy these days) then Redbelt will give you the feeling you had when you watched Bloodsport for the first time.

I cannot recommend this movie enough to anyone who is a martial arts fan, but you don't have to be a martial arts fan to love this film. Mamet doesn't over-Mamet this one. I actuall found the recurrence of all the Mamet actors a bit of a distraction.

Anyone on these boards who is bumming around the rental store or Netflix trying to figure out what to watch, watch this.

I have never played WoW.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:45:14 AM

Cool, I will check this out.  I would never have otherwise thought it would be worth a rental (and never saw Broughden's original post).  I loooooved Bloodsport back in the day.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 12:54:08 PM

TBH, it's also far more boring than bloodsport. Too much drama, not enough people getting choked.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 11:24:26 AM

I liked this a good deal. But I liked JCVD so much more that I can't really recommend this anymore. Not that they should be compared or anything.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:15:25 PM

This was a very good drama with a background around martial arts, mismarketed as a martial arts film.  Bloodsport is a martial arts film.  Apple and oranges.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:41:54 PM

Ed O'Neil was rolling with the Gracies pre-UFC. He's a black belt now.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:18:50 AM

Saw this last night, great movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

- Viin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Redbelt  
Jump to: