Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:03:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I'm done with RvR lakes until Mythic does something substantial 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm done with RvR lakes until Mythic does something substantial  (Read 39371 times)
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 21, 2008, 06:22:07 PM

I'm pretty sure I read recently that Mark had stated, rather forcefully and with some hostility, that they'd never let people turn off xp.  Things change all the time and what might've been a decision based on the noblest of intentions may have to give way to other realities so you never know.  Still seems unlikely.

But I think a better way to be noob friendly for low levels would be to reduce the grind.  It seems counter-intuitive, but with the game set up the way it is I can't see many people wanting to roll alts with the game currently in the state it's in.  And they could also add in mentor systems or something as well, though that could be pretty complicated.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #106 on: October 22, 2008, 10:05:24 AM

Shit really? Why? Even single and narcissistic I could never muster the justification for that sort of time waste.

The Rule of 11. If the MMOG Knob goes to 11, 10 will never ever do.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 22, 2008, 10:21:34 AM

Shit really? Why?
It's functionally like wasting time playing a slow-motion multiplayer FPS, except instead of requiring years of honed reflexes (or the weeks required for competitive level-cap PvP) it requires hours of research and grinding cash. Fight at top level (or as Haemish points out, slightly higher than top level) without, y'know, leveling. Low-rent pwnership.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Wershlak
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 22, 2008, 12:52:18 PM

It's functionally like wasting time playing a slow-motion multiplayer FPS, except instead of requiring years of honed reflexes (or the weeks required for competitive level-cap PvP) it requires hours of research and grinding cash. Fight at top level (or as Haemish points out, slightly higher than top level) without, y'know, leveling. Low-rent pwnership.

Some people have fun playing BGs. I had a twinked level 60 holy specced priest that I would use just for 51-60 AV. I had a holy pali main but 51-60 AV was more fun. I would follow tanks around and heal. I'd spend hours pwning health bars.  awesome, for real 

It was fun for me...I may be sick though.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #109 on: October 22, 2008, 12:57:27 PM

I like Scenarios.   It just hilarious that Mythic never bothered to balance Scenarios from a minmax perceptive.

"Me am play gods"
gamerjock
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: October 23, 2008, 03:42:33 PM

I like Scenarios.   It just hilarious that Mythic never bothered to balance Scenarios from a minmax perceptive.

I like Scenarios too, the first thirty times.  Then it's a bowl of shit smothered in shit. 

After three solid days trying to avoid them myself and play the game "as intended" I have concluded that there are only about 4 classes per side worth a damn in a keep siege.  Oh and dont you dare try and think of any kind of inventive strategy to take a keep. Hell no bang on that door monkey the walls are indestructable and nope no climb walls or ladders either. 
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 23, 2008, 04:07:58 PM

Scenarios will be fun for many... the same way FPS maps are fun.  I don't really get it either, as I am not a huge FPS fan.  But, repetition of map is not the big thing.  Repetition of competition would be.  If there was ONE strategy that ALWAYS won on any one map, well then that map just got very boring, even if I know the winning strategy.  As long as the competition varies, the map can stay the same.  IT works in WoW, it works in TF2, it will work here.

As to keep sieges, fix the lag and crashing and I can gauruntee you there are more than 4 good classes... well unless you are considering the 3 dwarf classes and one other.
gamerjock
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 23, 2008, 04:32:15 PM

Scenarios will be fun for many... the same way FPS maps are fun.  I don't really get it either, as I am not a huge FPS fan.  But, repetition of map is not the big thing.  Repetition of competition would be.  If there was ONE strategy that ALWAYS won on any one map, well then that map just got very boring, even if I know the winning strategy.  As long as the competition varies, the map can stay the same.  IT works in WoW, it works in TF2, it will work here.

As to keep sieges, fix the lag and crashing and I can gauruntee you there are more than 4 good classes... well unless you are considering the 3 dwarf classes and one other.

Basically mdps and tanks (minues their oil protections and guard) are about worthless while the doors are up.  So standing around for fifteen minutes as a WH gets old.  I am a FPS player as well but push maps would be nice. 
MerseyMal
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: October 24, 2008, 03:59:55 AM

I had a lot of fun in WAR's RvR lakes during the closed beta, but since then they only seem marginally more populated than DAoC's battlegrounds (with the exception of Thidranki, Molvik & Leirvik of course).

In the case of DAoC's battlegrounds it was because nost people would rather either (power)level their characters to 50 (PvE level grinding was so boring - plus ca change) or /level 20 and hit Thidranki.

Currently playing STO, DA:O, L4D2 & TF2. Ex-WAR/WoW/LotRO/EVE/CoH/DAoC. http://www.xfire.com/profile/malkomm/
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 24, 2008, 05:03:06 AM

Basically mdps and tanks (minues their oil protections and guard) are about worthless while the doors are up.  So standing around for fifteen minutes as a WH gets old.  I am a FPS player as well but push maps would be nice. 

If your Melee have nothing to do during sieges, well then either you are doing it wrong or the enemy is.  Melee should be guarding all entrances to the keep knocking people back when they try to get in.  And, they should be defending the squishies from the Exit Parties that the keep sends out to kill your siege weapons.  I suppose if you attack undefended keeps then yea... not much to do until the doors come down.  But, our melee is never bored during an active siege.
gamerjock
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: October 24, 2008, 08:55:38 AM

If your Melee have nothing to do during sieges, well then either you are doing it wrong or the enemy is.  Melee should be guarding all entrances to the keep knocking people back when they try to get in.  And, they should be defending the squishies from the Exit Parties that the keep sends out to kill your siege weapons.  I suppose if you attack undefended keeps then yea... not much to do until the doors come down.  But, our melee is never bored during an active siege.

And this I would agree with except the last couple nights the defenders had so many sorcs and magus on the walls they didnt send any melee teams out to harry our siege engines.  I agree in DAoC you would see this because the tanks could tether to the keep lord but I have yet to see this in WAR.  I hope it gets better and they review the mdps role in sieges. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I'm done with RvR lakes until Mythic does something substantial  
Jump to: