Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Diablo 3 - Blizzard - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diablo 3 - Blizzard - PC  (Read 9736 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: October 14, 2008, 09:35:40 AM

Submitted by Ingmar.

So, I played through the demo 5-6 times this weekend at Blizzcon. For those of you who are wondering if Diablo 3 is in the spirit of the prior 2 games, you can stop worrying; the answer is a resounding yes, in 84 point blinking red caps with a MIDI hallelujah playing in the background. The core gameplay of clicking on a ridiciulous number of monsters to blow them up for a ridiculous number of fancy items is completely intact. If that's all you needed to know you can go back to cutting yourself while you wait, because I don't expect the game, as fun and polished as the part we saw was, to be on sale til probably 2010.

A few important points:

- The game is fucking gorgeous. Complaints about the lack of darkness are unfounded; the dungeon we were able to play through was plenty dark. I would say in fact that had it been much darker it would have been annoying to play.

- The amount of destructible objects has been ramped way up; it isn't just barrels and jars anymore; now there's all kinds of blow-up-able dungeon dressing, including stuff that you can drop on monsters (or fellow adventurers) when you hit it with an attack. Once you get the hang of recognizing which things are destructible it is very easy and fun to do this.

- The inventory and looting system has been completely revamped. You no longer have the 'fit differently sized objects into your inventory' minigame; instead you now just have regular old inventory slots like in WoW. Bag items drop that you can use to upgrade the amount of space you have. All in all inventory management seems to be much easier, especially with the amount of potions much lower. In addition, loot that drops, drops for you only. There's no more mad click spazzing to vaccuum up that unique ring drop before the other guy does; he has his own drops to get. Yes, you can still trade, drop items for other people, etc. Works very nicely.

- The character customization is better than D2, but not yet totally implemented. In D2, you often could spend like 80 points on one ability. That doesn't appear to be possible in D3. You'll have a few abilities you can swap between, and the little 4 button taskbar is a million times better than the old F key binding system for using different abilities. The rune system is the best thing they've ever thought of. It was only implemented for the wizard, but what I was able to experiment with from it was great. Take the wizard's disintegrate ray. The basic spell is, you hold down mouse, it shoots out a big long beam that does increasing damage to anything hit by it. Put a striking rune into it, now it does 5% more damage. Put a power rune in, now it does 10% more damage but stops when it hits a creature. Put a multistrike rune into it, now it ups itself by 20% damage each time it passes through a creature. There were also visual differences between each of these, and other spells were affected differently by the different runes (multistrike made magic missile shoot out multiple missiles, for example.) All in all it was pretty darn cool.

- There's more story/depth to the world but the story appears to still be completely optional. I know Schild doesn't want any spoilers here, but really there aren't any spoilers to be given in terms of the story. The section we played was really just one little section of what I assume is the main quest, and is of the "leave the village of X to go into the dungeon Y to kill evil boss X" variety, but it is loaded with Diablo history/flavor. There are 'lore' drops you can get in the dungeon that give you audio clips of lore, so you don't have to stop killing stuff while you listen to them.   Also the random adventures interspersed through the dungeon make repeated playthroughs a little more interesting.

- The game is fucking gorgeous. I cannot stress that enough.

Some notes about the classes:

Barbarian: I never really could get into these guys in D2. They're more interesting in D3, and they have a semi-rage-like mechanic instead of energy like the other 2 classes we know about. Some of their abilities don't cost rage (I don't remember if it was actually called rage, but that's what it is), like cleave (cleave is awesome); they build it up, then there are other abilities that you can use that spend it. I only played the barbarian once so I didn't get a chance to really get a feel for how that worked, but it seemed like it built up pretty slow so your bread and butter will be the non-rage attacks, with the rage pool used for popping big buffs and fancy moves on tougher creatures. The feeling of being a badass who hits things and sends them flying is much more noticeable than the D2 barbarian and I think people will really like these.

Witch Doctor: This to me was by far the most fun class. I was a big fan of the necromancer in D2, and this guy splits the difference between a minion specced necromancer and a poison caster pretty well. There are a ton of fun interactions between the zombie dog pets and the other spells you cast, and I think this class had the most depth to its gameplay really. The dogs are really resilient, much more so than the D2 necromancer pets, and setting them on fire with your thrown skull explosion is awesome.

Wizard: The wizard is the sorceress with a visual upgrade and a different selection of spells. It plays more or less the same as a sorc, but the spells are a bit more varied.

I can try to answer whatever questions you all might have about the game, there's a lot of stuff I could expand on given some more time to reflect.

In Summation: Diablo 3 is Robot Jesus.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:36:19 AM

As a side note, schild was too afraid of spoilers to post this himself.
Moorgard
Developers

38 Studios

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:26:26 AM

Totally agree. Fun. As. Hell.

Steve Danuser
Creative Director
38 Studios
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:01:00 AM

As a side note, schild was too afraid of spoilers to post this himself.

Ha, I had wondered what had happened to it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:24:34 AM

Submitted by Ingmar.

- There's more story/depth to the world but the story appears to still be completely optional. I know Schild doesn't want any spoilers here, but really there aren't any spoilers to be given in terms of the story. The section we played was really just one little section of what I assume is the main quest, and is of the "leave the village of X to go into the dungeon Y to kill evil boss X" variety, but it is loaded with Diablo history/flavor.

The village is the boss?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:10 PM

Submitted by Ingmar.

- There's more story/depth to the world but the story appears to still be completely optional. I know Schild doesn't want any spoilers here, but really there aren't any spoilers to be given in terms of the story. The section we played was really just one little section of what I assume is the main quest, and is of the "leave the village of X to go into the dungeon Y to kill evil boss X" variety, but it is loaded with Diablo history/flavor.

The village is the boss?

Ingmar revealed the terrible secret of space!  ACK!

Anyhoo, I played the barbarian more than Ingmar did, but his impression of the rage thing is pretty spot on. It builds really slowly (clearly my lady barbarian took anger management classes), but GENERALLY it's only used for your little buffs and RAWR SMASH finishing-type moves, so it's not annoying. I could cleave the crap out of skeletons all day. <3

And the game is fucking beautiful.

God Save the Horn Players
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:11:39 PM

How do those health power up thingies work instead of potions?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:15:34 PM

You run into 'em and they heal you and any people in your party (I'm sure there's a range limit, I just have no idea what that might be).

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:12:44 PM

Submitted by Ingmar.

The village is the boss?

Oopsie.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 02:25:59 PM

I'm not a big fan of anything Diablo and the graphic style didn't appeal to me but it certainly has a very clean, high res look. Kind of reminds me of old Saturn games, if they were higher res and 3D.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 03:11:49 PM

- The inventory and looting system has been completely revamped. You no longer have the 'fit differently sized objects into your inventory' minigame; instead you now just have regular old inventory slots like in WoW.

I'm kinda going to miss playing loot Tetris.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 03:28:54 PM

- The inventory and looting system has been completely revamped. You no longer have the 'fit differently sized objects into your inventory' minigame; instead you now just have regular old inventory slots like in WoW.

Stuff (like potions) stacks too.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 03:47:12 PM

Were the health / mana orbs rare enough to make you think that there might be a class that is more of a healer than a damage dealer?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 04:01:47 PM

Were the health / mana orbs rare enough to make you think that there might be a class that is more of a healer than a damage dealer?

Not a chance. They outright said in one of the seminars that healers and tanks were fine for an MMO, but in Diablo everyone is DPS. The orbs were pretty common, there was basically no downtime but there were some spots where you had to be careful about how much stuff you engaged at once.

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 06:20:11 AM

Those who played it SUCK!!  ARGH!

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 09:44:59 AM

Anyhoo, I played the barbarian more than Ingmar did, but his impression of the rage thing is pretty spot on. It builds really slowly (clearly my lady barbarian took anger management classes), but GENERALLY it's only used for your little buffs and RAWR SMASH finishing-type moves, so it's not annoying. I could cleave the crap out of skeletons all day. <3
I'm happy I have the option to be a lady barbarian.  It'll make several of the classes more appealing to play.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 10:55:15 AM

Me too! For about half an hour, and then Diablo 2 will just seem that much less playable in comparison. Anyway, we'll still get to meticulously sort runes (gems, scrolls, potions, rocks, whatever) into neat rows organized by type and magnitude. So, more like loot Tetris Attack.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:27:56 AM

I'm happy I have the option to be a lady barbarian.  It'll make several of the classes more appealing to play.

Guys - she is huge.

I played a lady barbarian. She is 1.5x the size of a witch doctor boy.

I LOVE HER.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 02:43:17 PM

Oh man, I know exactly what you mean. I was WAY too happy to see I could be a lady barbarian when they first announced D3. It's such a little thing in the grand scheme, really, but it makes a huge difference for me.

Also: I said the same thing about sooooorta missing loot tetris, but I'm sure I'll deal WHEN THE TIME COMES. Five years from now. <cry>

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 09:56:16 AM

...apparently I'm the only non-IRL lady that is excited about being a barbarian lady.

Large and in charge.

This is coming from someone who is comfortable playing dwarf girls, though.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 07:57:07 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 08:10:06 AM

Death by snoo snoo!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Diablo 3 - Blizzard - PC  
Jump to: