Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I'm Out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm Out  (Read 64753 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:48 AM

If the people who always zerg head on at least focused on the guy that is A COLUMN OF LIGHT instead of whoever the fuck is closest to them it wouldn't be so bad, but they don't.  It's so frustrating when I'm the only guy who goes to attack the single enemy player that matters.
Kill the Dude.  With the Thing.  It's applicable to other scenarios.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 21, 2008, 10:21:33 AM

If the people who always zerg head on at least focused on the guy that is A COLUMN OF LIGHT instead of whoever the fuck is closest to them it wouldn't be so bad, but they don't.  It's so frustrating when I'm the only guy who goes to attack the single enemy player that matters.

That one was great.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 21, 2008, 10:29:18 AM

hell, that applies to several games, great find.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: October 21, 2008, 02:19:37 PM

The more I think about this, the more important I think it is as a MMOG design problem. Persistent-world MMOGs incentivize individuals accumulating power and wealth for themselves. Guilds use social tools to push back on that, and some accumulation in many games require working through the social tools that guilds provide. But wanting to *win* a game in terms of the objectives defined by the rules is more like a religious commitment: you believe in doing that or you don't. I'm not sure there is a way to incentivize winning that doesn't just boil down into rewarding individuals for individual behavior, which usually means that it will have perverse consequences when it comes to winning the game as a whole.
Arkenor
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: October 21, 2008, 03:26:34 PM

I was a constant flanker in Phoenix Temple and often either a) got the flag or b) stopped the enemy flag carrier because of it. So why don't many people do it? Because it's not rewarding in concrete terms. You're often too far away from kills to get XP or RP, if you do get the flag, you had better hope you don't need support because most of the time it's not forthcoming, if you run into an organized group on the other side, you're going to get killed a lot while everyone else on your team grinds unhappily away in the crush of the middle.

Same for defending the flag, which I also do quite often.

You have to just care more about winning the scenario for the sake of winning than you do XP or RP. Which is annoying, but I'm not sure what the alternative is. If you got big rewards for being the flag-carrier, then every idiot in the world would be grabbing at the thing even if it was an inevitably doomed attempt or if it was a glass cannon trying to do it.

As a proud level 21 engineer I frequently get yelled at for defending our flag in Phoenix Gate. And then yelled at for not being able to hold off a whole group of destruction on my own. I think it might perhaps help if the rules for a scenario were put up in very big letters, using simple words, right at the beginning. Might help if there were achievement unlocks for winning scenarios. Maybe they already exist, but not noticed one!

I play on Makaisson, a European server, and all is not well. Now I'm realm rank 20, there's very little reward for me in doing tier 2 scenarios, so I have moved up to the next league. There's some open world RvR, though it is mostly a case of following eachother about resetting objectives as we go, with little PvP engagement. I cannot find anyone who has ever been in a tier 3 scenario. We have whole warbands signing up for them, and still nothing happens. Admittedly we're a low population server, but I know for a fact that both sides have more than enough people for a scenario. Something is not working right. Maybe it's a GOA European server thing. It might also help if the ridiculous limitation that you have to be in a tier 3 area to join a tier 3 scenario queue was lifted. If I'm doing something elsewhere, I don't want to have to be paying 25 silver just to fly to the Badlands to sign up.

Even in tier 2, there is no RvR outside of primetime. I suspect, like many MMOs over the years, Mythic have underestimated the number of players they need on a server for it to function right.

I just want to fight :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:35:00 PM by Arkenor »
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: October 21, 2008, 05:19:47 PM

My willpower is starting to wane.  They did some wonderful things and hopefully this game has legs and puts up a good fight with WoW, but ugh.  Doing scenario after scenario in hostile pugs and never meeting anyone even remotely friendly is just starting to wear me down.  If ORvR were more appealing it'd have a bit more permanency and downtime that might make things a little easier on that front, so I'll stick it out for now in case things improve.  I really think FPS gameplay modes should've never seen the light of day in an rpg.

On the plus side I still have no interest in WoTLK.
Wire
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 21, 2008, 06:37:15 PM

Even in tier 2, there is no RvR outside of primetime. I suspect, like many MMOs over the years, Mythic have underestimated the number of players they need on a server for it to function right.

I just want to fight :(

That totally depends on your server as well.  I've got a friend that plays on a completely dead server, and yeah, he says not much open RvR goes on.  I mainly play on Sylvania (US) and there is a ton of ORvR going on, even in off-peak hours.  Just this last saturday there was a 50 v 50 keep siege/defense going on in Avelorn that lasted something like 5 hours.  Unfortunately, I get zero FPS when I get near keeps :(  But still, on the more populated servers, ORvR is  more common.  I would like even more though ;p
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 21, 2008, 09:29:07 PM

My willpower is starting to wane.  They did some wonderful things and hopefully this game has legs and puts up a good fight with WoW, but ugh.  Doing scenario after scenario in hostile pugs and never meeting anyone even remotely friendly is just starting to wear me down.

I've completely given up on scenario PUGS.  Tooling around is a guild group is pretty awesome though, people actually play their class rather than trying to DPS their way to whatever XP and renown they can scrounge up while you inevitably lose.  The recent healing renown nerf and subsequent realisation that rewards are DPS/kill based really encouraged shitty PUG behavior.  Well that and people just plain sucking.

Get a guild and run scenarios with them until Mythic beef up RVR.  Hopefully shouldn't be long given what I've read in that SOTG thread.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #113 on: October 21, 2008, 11:07:10 PM

In both cases my ShaWar is going to get steamrolled real quickly on being discovered, but goddammit, is it really that hard to think about what the map objective is to try to help your team?

Yes. Flanks do not exist. Rear attacks are for homos.
 awesome, for real

Your HE swordmaster has a pretty mouth...

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 22, 2008, 10:10:53 AM

The internet has disappointed me, I can't find a picture of an ork with a banjo  sad
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: October 22, 2008, 10:12:47 AM

The internet has disappointed me, I can't find a picture of an ork with a banjo  sad

You're welcome.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 24, 2008, 04:52:15 PM

Oh god, you rule, I don't know how I missed this post, I'm stealing that  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I'm Out  
Jump to: