Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I'm Out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm Out  (Read 64597 times)
insouciant
Terracotta Army

on: October 13, 2008, 09:20:03 AM

Not that anyone should care, but I have had enough of the WAR experience.  I really, REALLY wanted to like this game, but it fails in several respects.  For me, the most significant ones are:

1.  The grind.  Just stupid in an RvR or PvP environment.  Discourages alts and switches between sides.  The PvE is just too weak.

2.  Population imbalances.  These affect gameplay in many different ways.  My experience was far too much "there are no open groups in your area" and dead ( I mean totally and completely dead) T1 and T2 RvR.

3.  Itemization.  I might be wrong here as I never got high enough to see what the end game gear would be like, but throughout the levels it was pretty much totally unexciting.  Why not offer more items that can be used by multiple classes, and offer differing stats on different items?  Even if not maximally effective for that class, some players like messing about with different equipment builds.  This just smacks of laziness in game build.  On a related note . . .

4.  Seeds.  Seriously, WTF is with all the damn seed drops, from level one on.  This is like a joke that got put in during alpha and they forgot to take it out.  A blood and guts, RvR kill-other-player game and the most frequent drop are seeds?  Christ, this makes the old "piece of bone" or "worn out shoe" look good in comparison.

I find it intersting that in cancelling, there was no space for "Tell us in 50 words of less why you are quitting" in the cancellation process.  I think every other MMOG I have quit in the last three years has had such a feedback option.  I guess Mythic must be of the opinion that it is not the game that failed, but me.

I am of the opinion that the population issues in their various forms, across sides, tiers and servers, will be the death knell of this game.  Which is too bad, since there is evidently a great mass of people looking for an alternative to WoW.  Of course, YMMV.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:31:11 AM

I am of the opinion that the population issues in their various forms, across sides, tiers and servers, will be the death knell of this game.

Too dramatic. I suspect the game will survive. Even without you. ;)

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
insouciant
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:26:06 AM

Kindly permit me to expand.

I know players will stick around almost any game that keeps its servers up.  I have ex- guildmates that still play EQ, not just to check in from time to time, but to raid the latest iteration of bosses, and crow their victories on the guild home page.  To each his own.

What I meant is that I believe that Mythic could fix many of the things that ail WAR without massive changes to the game.  But the population problems, specifically Dest. v Order imbalance, and the lack of population at lower Tiers, will result in WAR being more niche than it should have been.

Drama would have been "OMG, I quit and you all should too, to help validate my opinion of the game !!!"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:29:16 AM

Can I have your... er...

I think you make some valid points and hope that you're open-minded enough to reevaluate the game in a few months. 

1) Expecting good pve from mythic is silly.

2) Population imbalances can be good and bad.  I personally enjoy being the underdog... my scenarios pop MUCH faster.

3) Itemization is terrible.  I agree.  Needs attention soon.

4) Crafting is also terrible.  It's Mythic. 

I do like and appreciate your comments on feedback as well.  Perhaps that will get added as soon as they start seeing people leave after the first 30 days.  I'd almost bet on it appearing.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:33:56 AM

I'm definitely hanging for month two or three, I think Mythic is one of the few companies that deserves it.  If I do end up leaving, I have a feeling this will be one of the few games that I'll keep my eye on for a long time. 

The fact is, no matter how much work this game needs, what else is there to play?  Just about nothing else, really. 
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:17:36 AM

I'm definitely hanging for month two or three, I think Mythic is one of the few companies that deserves it.  If I do end up leaving, I have a feeling this will be one of the few games that I'll keep my eye on for a long time. 

The fact is, no matter how much work this game needs, what else is there to play?  Just about nothing else, really. 

That reasoning is just not good enough for me anymore. Only took me 10 years. :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:48:58 AM

Can I have your... er...

I think you make some valid points and hope that you're open-minded enough to reevaluate the game in a few months. 

1) Expecting good pve from mythic is silly.

2) Population imbalances can be good and bad.  I personally enjoy being the underdog... my scenarios pop MUCH faster.

3) Itemization is terrible.  I agree.  Needs attention soon.

4) Crafting is also terrible.  It's Mythic. 

I do like and appreciate your comments on feedback as well.  Perhaps that will get added as soon as they start seeing people leave after the first 30 days.  I'd almost bet on it appearing.

That's a shitty argument.

I don't care if it's Mythic or Blizzard or Bioware, I expect quality PvE, crafting and PvP in a MMORPG game. Otherwise, what the hell am i paying them money every month for?

Accepting their faults on the basis of "oh it's mythic, they can't do better" provides them with no incentive to actually try to do better. You're delusional if you think that their PvP is so fucking awesome that it makes playing the game completely worthwhile on its own. Hell, there are massive issues with PvP as well, including scenario grind, lack of people and shitty itemization rewards.  I'm doing my best to give the game a shot, but WotLK does look mighty appealing.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:51:51 AM

Not to mention "Crafting sucks, it's Mythic" should have gone away when Mahrin left the company.

Yes, Mahrin, I still hold a grudge about the crappy DAOC crafting.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 12:06:52 PM

I never once complained about crafting in PS. :)

Then again, I was maxed out from the day I logged in (kinda). And everything is free. And there is no economy.

Bummer PS had its issues, there were some nice things about it :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 12:13:20 PM

All I'm saying is that when you walk into a McDonalds, it's silly to expect to get gourmet food.  We have a past to draw from and our consumer decisions are made based on that past.

If you expected good pve and crafting from Mythic, you didn't do your homework.  Caveat emptor.

WAR is all about accessible PvP.  If you want more than that, play WoW. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 12:22:46 PM

I think what we're saying is that the PvP is hardly accessible and that if Mythic wants to keep making money hats in the post WOW world, they better get their act together.

Either that or umm... wowfanboi4lyfe.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 12:31:33 PM

All I'm saying is that when you walk into a McDonalds, it's silly to expect to get gourmet food.  We have a past to draw from and our consumer decisions are made based on that past.

If you expected good pve and crafting from Mythic, you didn't do your homework.  Caveat emptor.

Using your analogy though it's like walking into a restaurant called "Mcdonalds Extreme" and when you go in it's the same burgers and fries. Sure it's tasty and convenient. It's fast, cheap and enjoyable but it's the same food, they just changed the packaging and you were just, expecting more.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 12:51:20 PM

Pfft. I'd say that the PvP is a good deal more accessible than WoW arenas and most of their battlegrounds. And since you can go from 1-40 entirely through PvP, I don't think that somebody would be delusional if they played the game solely on the strengths of the PvP even if they considered the PvE and crafting to be worthless. That said, I wouldn't agree with them, since I consider the PvE combat to be acceptable if flawed (poorer than WoW's and I don't consider their PvE great either). The crafting is utter crap and they should just remove it and have vendors selling potions and talismans as a money sink. I don't really need crafting, player housing or city building in every MMOG. The collecting aspect of Tome unlocks is brilliant however, and I think that qualifies as PvE.

I'm still having fun, and while I will probably buy WotLK and install it, right now the idea of going back to WoW is less than appealing.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 01:12:30 PM

I'm fine with the crafting.  But ye gods the bag space required!  They need to condense it down a bit lot.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 01:38:22 PM

I actually hit the cancel button, but this thread interested me enough to spend a few more days giving it a try at least until my sub runs out. The PVP really is fantastic, particularly compared to WoW's dead in 10 seconds to a circle hopping ultratwink in all purple stuff.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 01:45:15 PM

I really like the PvP.  Sjofn is right about there being something to Mythic's way of doing it.  It could be the not dying in 10 seconds to bunny hoppers thing.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 01:53:51 PM

You can't have accessible PvP if your PvP isn't accessible. So I agree first off that this is the killer. If you're on a server where the PvP is available generally when you want it, the game has a chance. If you're on a server where you have to sit around cleaning your fingernails waiting for it, the game is pointless, because every other subsystem that might keep you busy and modestly entertained in the meantime frankly blows. The game's fate depends on the proportion of the latter to the former, and from what I can see right now, the second kind of server is in the lead as they come up on the mammoth obstacle that is Lich King.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 02:04:20 PM

I don't see the appeal of WOTLK.  There isn't anything different that's attracting me.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 02:18:51 PM

This will most likely be my last mmo so I'm willing to cut it more slack. and as it stands the fun is outweighing the annoying.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 02:20:13 PM

This will most likely be my last mmo so I'm willing to cut it more slack. and as it stands the fun is outweighing the annoying.

I have to agree with you.  I've been hoping the next best thing would come along and just suffer differing degrees of disappointment.  Besides, I'm starting to wonder why I spend so much time in a virtual world when I should be spending more time out in the real world. 

Time to dust the canoe off!

-  Mark Twain
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 02:21:09 PM

You can't have accessible PvP if your PvP isn't accessible. So I agree first off that this is the killer. If you're on a server where the PvP is available generally when you want it, the game has a chance. If you're on a server where you have to sit around cleaning your fingernails waiting for it, the game is pointless, because every other subsystem that might keep you busy and modestly entertained in the meantime frankly blows. The game's fate depends on the proportion of the latter to the former, and from what I can see right now, the second kind of server is in the lead as they come up on the mammoth obstacle that is Lich King.

This is why I'm waiting to join WAR. If the only thing to do is wait for a PvP fight to happen, I can't imagine spending money for that. I can wait for things on my own time.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 02:21:19 PM

Time to dust the canoe off!

In the Age of the Internet, the only real way to be a geek is to do outdoorsy shit.

Heed my words. When the robots attack, you may be able to run 3 miles at full sprint, but will you know how to fight them?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 02:24:31 PM

This is why I'm waiting to join WAR. If the only thing to do is wait for a PvP fight to happen, I can't imagine spending money for that. I can wait for things on my own time.

Its not. There are some extreme views here, and some people are to much of a MMO nerd to enjoy the fun (including me, and my nitpicking of this and that, but i'm having a blast), even if its right before them. (Not directed any any one person)

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 02:24:44 PM

Throw plates at their heads and slice off their antennas.

"Me am play gods"
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:59 PM

Hah, same.  Only way WoW gets me back is if my RL friends beg me. After then, what the hell else am I going to play? Bioware's RPG? When the hell would that realistically come out?

This game has fucking heaps of issues, but I can still have fun at the tiers I'm playing at.

If I feel the need for endless grinding I can always attempt to max level characters in Persona 3 FES or any Disgaea title I own.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 04:04:20 PM

Its probably going to take me a million years to hit cap in this one, but I will do it. The PVP is keen. The PVE is... at least better than DAOC's.  awesome, for real

But I have WoW for PVE.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 04:55:18 PM

I have been very underwhelmed with the RVR. I was expecting a lot of exciting RVR, but as my friend likes to call it, its mostly "WoWHammer BGs". This isnt the players fault ether. People will gravitate to where the best returns are, and right now they are in the Scenarios. I honestly feel they need to increased EXP and Renown earned in RVR by a factor of 4 or 5. As I think this would keep people "In the world" and not instanced in a scenario, which is making the world feel really empty.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 05:30:58 PM

I have been very underwhelmed with the RVR. I was expecting a lot of exciting RVR, but as my friend likes to call it, its mostly "WoWHammer BGs". This isnt the players fault ether. People will gravitate to where the best returns are, and right now they are in the Scenarios. I honestly feel they need to increased EXP and Renown earned in RVR by a factor of 4 or 5. As I think this would keep people "In the world" and not instanced in a scenario, which is making the world feel really empty.
THIS! I'm sick of scenarios, but open field RvR is fun.

Heed my words. When the robots attack, you may be able to run 3 miles at full sprint, but will you know how to fight them?
Drink up all their booze and wait for them to rust.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 05:41:18 PM

I don't see the appeal of WOTLK.  There isn't anything different that's attracting me.

I think my friend is set on coming back to WoW due to the lack of 'smooth mechanics', most of the combat mechanics in game felt unfinished and very,very clumsy. It could've been better. If they can't fix it, then too bad; some people are more tolerant than the rest. But I refuse to be caged by this retarded lag and swordmaster nonsensical balance mechanics, I tried other classes and found some of their mastery trees made no sense at all. It's like they failed to even consider how the game plays out. Itemization is very, very, dull. I even hopped on a destro alt to do mostly PVE with a friend to see how it is, it's as good as WoW on launch 2 years ago, but times change.

PQ Scripted events are not bad, but they need to build around 6 players max to complete it, not fucking 10 or even 15. On peak hour, PQ is a load of fun with a decent warband; otherwise grinding with a trio is quite pointless, we'd rather queue for scenario. So my point, lower the PVE requirement; let people experience it. It's a waste making people skip over it.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sogrinaugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 08:39:20 PM

I think my friend is set on coming back to WoW due to the lack of 'smooth mechanics', most of the combat mechanics in game felt unfinished and very,very clumsy. It could've been better. If they can't fix it, then too bad; some people are more tolerant than the rest. But I refuse to be caged by this retarded lag and swordmaster nonsensical balance mechanics, I tried other classes and found some of their mastery trees made no sense at all. It's like they failed to even consider how the game plays out. Itemization is very, very, dull. I even hopped on a destro alt to do mostly PVE with a friend to see how it is, it's as good as WoW on launch 2 years ago, but times change.

PQ Scripted events are not bad, but they need to build around 6 players max to complete it, not fucking 10 or even 15. On peak hour, PQ is a load of fun with a decent warband; otherwise grinding with a trio is quite pointless, we'd rather queue for scenario. So my point, lower the PVE requirement; let people experience it. It's a waste making people skip over it.

In most every RPG type game where i am given a choice, i most always choose a caster.  I have been enjoying my swordmaster though i thought the balance mechanic was kinda cool.  Is it fun early on then you run into a giant wall of suck?  Or is swordmaster just not your thing?
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 09:57:13 PM

Then why is it so grindy?

Seriously, I have a sub and a level 8 Runepriest. I just could not be fucked leveling him. They killed the game for me with this grind. I've played, and many of us have played, MMOs for many years now, and I'll no longer accept long-ass grinds. It also does not make sense for a game to ask me to bend over backwards and fuck myself to access their endgame when I could just log onto WoW and play my endgame characters there instead.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 10:10:00 PM

In most every RPG type game where i am given a choice, i most always choose a caster.  I have been enjoying my swordmaster though i thought the balance mechanic was kinda cool.  Is it fun early on then you run into a giant wall of suck?  Or is swordmaster just not your thing?
I would say it is a personal taste.  I really like my Swordmaster at 20.  It is a solid tank, and I can switch between defense, tank killer, or utility and dps on the fly.

Getting PlanB to change my hotbar depending on stance did help with clutter.  Their lack of mechanics in the UI does fail pretty hard.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 11:55:53 PM

Not to mention "Crafting sucks, it's Mythic" should have gone away when Mahrin left the company.

Yes, Mahrin, I still hold a grudge about the crappy DAOC crafting.

DAoC crafting was Mahrin's fault? I hate him and all he stands for now.

God Save the Horn Players
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 12:36:10 AM

I find it intersting that in cancelling, there was no space for "Tell us in 50 words of less why you are quitting" in the cancellation process.  I think every other MMOG I have quit in the last three years has had such a feedback option.

This makes me almost tempted to play the game. Pity about the rest.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 12:45:05 AM

I believe they don't intend to tinker with class balance for a while and in general I approve of that.  However last night I encountered the Magus ability Chaotic Rift

30 Action Points   65 ft range
Instant cast   20s cooldown
A rift in the warp is opened briefly, pulling players within 65 feet of the vortex towards it's center and then snaring everyone within 20 feet a second later by 40% for 4 seconds. Monsters will be knocked down by the initial pull.

That's some crazy shit, I'm not sure if it's working as intended.  Let me try to describe what happened to our couple of Order groups when this ability was used. All our guys suddenly flew towards the middle of the enemy group, landed together and shortly thereafter, died.  This happened several times in a row, I actually thought it was some sort of exploit.  awesome, for real
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: I'm Out  
Jump to: