Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:39:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: South Park 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: South Park  (Read 84988 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

on: October 09, 2008, 02:43:04 AM

meh....  Heartbreak

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:52:52 AM

I concur.  Not bad, not great.  And Crystal Skull did suck. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 09:11:49 AM

I loved the episode.  Started out slow, but the old movie references in the flashback scenes made it for me. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:32:36 AM

I loved the episode.  Started out slow, but the old movie references in the flashback scenes made it for me. 

Yeah, I don't recognize enough movie rape scenes to have recognized any of those other than Deliverance.  I figured that's what they were doing, though, so what were the other flicks?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:45:02 AM

It was primarily the stuff in the scenes, not necessarily the raping itself. In the DA's flashback, you had the Howard The Duck pinball machine, the Willow video game, etc.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:49:50 AM

I liked it, because they were either making fun of Crystal Skull, or making fun of people's over-reactions. I figure at this point Matt and Trey just hate everybody so they're making fun of both.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:54:04 AM

Yeah, I don't recognize enough movie rape scenes to have recognized any of those other than Deliverance.  I figured that's what they were doing, though, so what were the other flicks?

One was that Jodi Foster movie where they raped her on the pinball machine.  The Accused I think.  Deliverance was the other.  I'm forgetting the third. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 01:16:38 PM

I thought it was great, I liked the whole Indiana Jones plot more then the Cartman/Butters one.

Which I hate to say cuz Butters is probably the best character on the show.  Although Butters shooting everyone in the dick was pretty funny.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 01:53:29 PM

I haven't seen a new South Park in ages. But speaking of Butters, they had the one where his mother tried to drown him on last night. Where they line up OJ and those other conviction-dodging assholes and yell MURDERER, YOU DID IT YOU MURDERING MURDERER. I love that episode.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:29:54 AM

If any episode of South Park could get me watching regularly again, it was this one. And I haven't even seen Crystal Skull yet.

Fantastic. My wife was mouth agape on the couch next to me.

I have never played WoW.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 12:43:36 PM

Heh, it looks like Paramount, Spielberg, and Lucas didn't know about the last episode of South Park and that there might be some repercussions down the line.  Similar to those and the whole Scientology/Tom Cruise deal.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 04:02:06 PM

If any episode of South Park could get me watching regularly again, it was this one. And I haven't even seen Crystal Skull yet.

Fantastic. My wife was mouth agape on the couch next to me.

What? How?

This episode of South Park was dire. The plot was tediously linear, with no twists or diversions. The whole thing with Cartman and Butters was a complete waste of time, and wasn't even remotely close to the level of humour of earlier seasons. There was nothing new or interesting introduced, and the whole "George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are creepy" joke has been done before. This episode continued the downhill trend that became painfully noticable in the first half of season 12, and doesn't give me any great feelings about what's to come.

I'm genuinely baffled as to how anyone could find this episode as an example of South Park in its element. Sure it's not as bad as the Britney episode (the only episode of South Park I've ever stopped watching out of sheer boredom and disinterest) but this stuff was wholly mediocre at best.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 04:23:21 PM

I watched the first 5 minutes, couldn't figure out wtf was going on about the whole rape thing so I changed the channel.  Seriously, if you are going to make a random reference that is probably explained later, don't spend so much time on it without putting at least some general jokes in there.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 02:35:58 PM

I watched the first 5 minutes, couldn't figure out wtf was going on about the whole rape thing so I changed the channel.  Seriously, if you are going to make a random reference that is probably explained later, don't spend so much time on it without putting at least some general jokes in there.

Random?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 04:07:26 PM

South Park has largely been made of fail for quite some time now.  Go back and rewatch an episode from the first season sometime.  It's a completely different show.  Still makes me laugh sometimes, but in continually trying to top itself it's lost the quirky charm it once had.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 04:49:26 PM

Random?

Yes Random.  The way the episode was (for what I watched) was Cartman dreaming about the olympics, him running towards the group talking about the Chinese going to invade, Kyle suddenly going "I can't do this" and goes off to his room talking about some rape that they witnessed ,then with Kyle nad Stan continuing to talk about said rape without actually saying anything that says wtf they are talking about.  That combined with the fact that they weren't being funny about anything yet I said screw it and watched something else.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 04:55:32 PM

South Park has largely been made of fail for quite some time now.  Go back and rewatch an episode from the first season sometime.  It's a completely different show.  Still makes me laugh sometimes, but in continually trying to top itself it's lost the quirky charm it once had.

Season 8 was about the time the rot really started to set in, although there were still a bunch of great episodes in there since.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 12:37:14 PM

They try to kill, maim, explode, or dismember at least one character in every show. That alone made it stupid. A lot of it was also just over the top gross for no reason. Sure, shock can be funny, but there is a fine line between shock humor and disgusting.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 01:35:02 PM

Random?

Yes Random.  The way the episode was (for what I watched) was Cartman dreaming about the olympics, him running towards the group talking about the Chinese going to invade, Kyle suddenly going "I can't do this" and goes off to his room talking about some rape that they witnessed ,then with Kyle nad Stan continuing to talk about said rape without actually saying anything that says wtf they are talking about.  That combined with the fact that they weren't being funny about anything yet I said screw it and watched something else.

You were almost there.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 05:21:53 AM

Just an FYI, http://www.southparkstudios.com/ has every single episode, and is free and legal.  3 30 sec ads during every episode, but for those of us nervous about downloading and/or skeezy sites, its really nice. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:28:46 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 03:26:34 AM

My name is Craig Tucker. 

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 01:44:38 PM

I'm sooo startled!
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 03:25:56 PM

South Park has changed but it hasn't gotten worse or better. Just different. No other show on television will slaughter sacred cows like South Park. I don't remember when that became the raison d'etre. Even though they do it with a sledgehammer and dynamite, it is still refresshing to see.  It went from stuff that stoners would think of to pre-meditated pure shock value to making fun of everything in the world that takes itself seriously.

I have never played WoW.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 03:44:08 PM

Since when does 4 episodes = a season?

Although after the rather weak first epsiode, the other three were actually quite enjoyable. Cartman trying to get Wendy to call off the fight had me laughing.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 03:47:25 PM

?  There's a new episode on tonight or my TV Guide is lying to me.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 03:53:25 PM

Apparently www.southparkzone.com is lying to me; imdb lists 3 more episodes.

Betting that at least one features some commentary related to the election? Possibly involving Token and .... Butters?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 04:05:06 PM

Apparently www.southparkzone.com is lying to me; imdb lists 3 more episodes.

Betting that at least one features some commentary related to the election? Possibly involving Token and .... Butters?

That's tonights episode, in fact.  The election one, I mean.  I don't know who it revolves around.  The summary on the guide is: "South Park residents join the rest of the country in celebrating the election of a U.S. president, who moves a new administration into the White House ahead of schedule."

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 07:06:17 PM

They must have made part of this thing this morning as it includes some of Obama's speech last night.  The Ocean's 13 stuff is pretty beat though.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 04:07:12 AM

They must have made part of this thing this morning as it includes some of Obama's speech last night.  The Ocean's 13 stuff is pretty beat though.

That's not too surprising though.  When they made the Warcraft episode they said that they were editing and finishing it up that morning.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 08:18:39 PM

I'm Scott Malkinson.  I have a lisp and I have diabetes. 

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 02:40:44 AM

Saw that one. Highschool Musical needs to die in a car fire.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 09:23:10 PM

Tonight's Goth/Vampire ep was CLASSIC South Park.  Really back to old form. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 03:02:22 AM

Wow.  Horribly unfunny final episode of the season.  That episode was like the Achewood of South Park.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 07:47:26 AM

How can you manage to be so wrong so often?

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 05:53:22 PM

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am normally the biggest South Park fanboi around, and usually defend it against those who say it has run out of ideas.  But the pacing was off in this episode- it never really got off the ground.  There have been some fantastic Butters-centered episodes (the very first one, where his father goes to various gay bathhouses, was the best evar, AWESOM-O was pure magic, and even the Paris Hilton one was good), but this one didn't have anything to say and didn't go anywhere.  The whole family angle was very forced. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: South Park  
Jump to: