Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: D&D Xperience 2009 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: D&D Xperience 2009  (Read 14485 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

on: October 03, 2008, 05:13:01 PM

I doubt many here have this on their radar or care much, but they recently changed the date and location to Super Bowl weekend in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. swamp poop

Previously it had been in the DC area which made it quite a bit cheaper to fly to, not to mention the whole Super Bowl conflict thing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:54:16 PM

I came here thinking you were talking about Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition online component.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:47:04 AM

Wtf?  Fort Wayne?  Really... lol

That's a messed up place to have it.

It's a quick drive for me if I was actually going though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:53:56 PM

The location is much less lulzy than the weekend.

Of course, I'm probably overestimating the crossover of the two groups due to my own experiences.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:43:38 PM

I don't know what this is really, but why is Fort Wayne funny?  Just curious.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:26:43 AM

Just a weird place for this convention to take place.. it's funny to me cuz I live in IN and have a friend I used to game with there.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 07:43:41 PM

Just a weird place for this convention to take place.. it's funny to me cuz I live in IN and have a friend I used to game with there.

Well, there's 2 major cities in IL, right?  Dragon*con usually takes place in Indianapolis, but there must be something else happening there that weekend that makes it impossible to have it in the usual spot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 12:57:06 AM

Its weird because, WotC only does 2 major conventions a year, GenCon and this one. GenCon already takes place in Indianapolis, so they're really cutting down their geographic coverage with this one being in the same state now. In addition it is supposedly their 'premier' D&D convention, where all the RPGA stuff goes on and also one of the two D&D Minis championships (which is why I go), so putting it in a town without a major airport seems pretty lame. It was in DC until now; last year I was able to fly nonstop to DC for $257 round-trip; flying to Ft. Wayne is going to cost me at least $150 more, and a lot more total travel time as there are no non-stops available from where I am.

Plus putting it on Super Bowl weekend is just dumb, that will cut out a chunk of attendees right there.

The word I'm hearing is their convention/marketing budget got completely gutted and this is the only time/place they can afford this time around, which is really not a good sign for them.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 08:31:34 AM

I will be at the Experience BECAUSE it was moved to Fort Wayne.  Everything said here is true.  Silly place for it, bad timing (but I do not give a damn about football).  Of course what do you expect?  D&D minis game is canceled from the last report I heard.  Minis will now be sold in packs more friendly to the 4th edition game.  Of course why point out that 4th edition was BUILT on the minis game. 

The trouble is deeper than that.  You cannot join the RPGA online, you have to go to a shop and get a signup card.  Then you have to figure out the difference between DCI (wizards tracking numbers) and RPGA.  The systems are quasi merged.  Then your ID may or may not be active.  Being an event coordinator gives you more hoops to jump through.    They have also stopped mailing out reward cards.  They are available in a protected .pdf file.  Of course they do not mail you the password ;)

But this is the best part!  In order to play in official events you must have a sanctioned character.  This means your DM downloads and runs games within a set time period, then reports the progress to the RPGA.  You can then bring these properly tracked characters (players have log sheets as well) to the Experience, GenCon etc.  These events are part of Living Forgotten Realms (globally tracked world, set rewards for adventures etc) or one of the other offerings.  At this years experience the glorious leaders decided to cater towards existing members exclusively.  In keeping with this policy there are NO EVENTS FOR CHARACTERS LEVEL 1-4 IN LIVING FORGOTTEN REALMS.  NONE.  FURTHER, YOU CANNOT JUST 'CREATE' A CHARACTER OF APPROPRIATE LEVEL.  OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR SPECIFIC EVENTS AND MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS WELL IN ADVANCE.  YOU MUST CHANNEL YOUR ORACLE POWER!

So let's say you joined up a few months ago and played a bit.  Then you figured out you could make it to one of these cool events.  Oh shit, you need a character!  Oh hell, they have to be level 5!  When confronted with the errors of the system the people in charge pointed out there would be 'plenty' of other things to do at the Experience and you could always beg a DM to run a game in the library.  Mind you, there is no material available for Living Forgotten Realms that will get you beyond level 8-9 (30 level system).  Oh, and if you are a DM you will not have a character unless your group is rotating that position at a good pace.

Anyway, I will be there getting loaded and making absurd comments.  Dwarf power!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:34:11 AM by Pezzle »
Sutro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 06:04:37 PM

I'll be there. At least this weekend is wayyyyy better than the original one... which was over Valentine's Day.

-Sutro

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:11:37 PM

I'll be there. At least this weekend is wayyyyy better than the original one... which was over Valentine's Day.

-Sutro

Unless your wife prefers football to romance.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: D&D Xperience 2009  
Jump to: