Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer sucks, I'm out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer sucks, I'm out  (Read 14717 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

on: October 02, 2008, 11:15:29 AM

Fuck, this game is crappy, I'm quitting, and taking all my stuff with me.

See you guys tonight?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:16:35 AM

You're two weeks early.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 11:20:54 AM

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 11:22:54 AM

Can I have your stuff?

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:23:26 AM

Can I have your stuff?

Soulbound stuff really wrecked MMO ragequit threads.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 12:29:41 PM

Can I have your stuff?

Makes it fucking hard to quit, too.  I managed to kick EQ once I gave all my gold and equipment away.  Some of it was still pretty nice stuff.  Knowing that I'd have to kill shit naked for hours on end just to afford shit gear was enough to keep me away.

It's far too laborious to type "delete" for each bit of soulbound gear in more current games. Evil bastards.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:12:49 PM

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 05:16:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I can't keep playing this game either.  It's not the game's fault, the game seems fine, it's quite fun.  I can't play because there are far too many stupid people playing it.  I'm not a big PvP guy, I don't claim to be an expert, but even I understand basic concepts.  Like, for instance, if there is someone on the enemy side THAT IS FUCKING GLOWING, you should probably focus on killing him, stop solo fighting that enemy tank you don't have the dps to ever kill and gang up on the guy who is a tower of light.  If there is someone on your side THAT IS FUCKING GLOWING, you should probably defend and heal that person.  This isn't rocket surgery.

Great game but 75% of the people playing it are the most frustrating bunch of mouth breathing morons in existence.

God damn it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 05:21:24 PM

What's the "bonus" you get for actually winning a scenario (my Beta memories are hazy now)?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 05:37:24 PM

I have no idea how that works, it seems to scale based on your team's score instead of a straight win/loss factor.  If you only get one hundred points and lose you get crap but if you get 400 points and lose you still get good xp.  I imagine it's a secret formula akin to their guild levels.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 05:49:27 PM

Well it's pretty easy to predict that unless winning gives you a significant boost in rewards people won't care if they win or lose as long as they are getting some reward for their effort. And that's actually the thing that has kept me from playing in release.

When I play team PvP games I play "to win". In team shooters that usually means I end up doing the tasks most people don't like doing like guarding flags/points, healing/repairing, etc. cause I get more satisfaction seeing my team win at the end than racking up kills but still losing at the end.

In WAR there wasn't/isn't enough incentive to play "to win" so people naturally take the easier/quicker path to advancing which has nothing to do with taking and holding BOs, among other things, and that pisses me off to no end.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 05:53:32 PM

In WAR there wasn't/isn't enough incentive to play "to win" so people naturally take the easier/quicker path to advancing which has nothing to do with taking and holding BOs, among other things, and that pisses me off to no end.
  This is a very good point.  Although, once nice thing about murderball is it usually is a bit better than say CTF matches which are just horrendous in this regard.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 06:42:45 PM

So a game made for RvR and team concept doesn't have stuff like BF2 and BF2142 where the support guys who keep stuff up and running could rake up a ton of points? 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 06:46:54 PM

So a game made for RvR and team concept doesn't have stuff like BF2 and BF2142 where the support guys who keep stuff up and running could rake up a ton of points? 

nope, try being a tank and guarding a flag too, you get jack shit unless there is fighting right nearby. If not then dont expect more points than the losing team if that.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 07:22:05 PM

Do you actually get anything if you top DPS or whatever? From what i've seen you get a ton of points/xp if your team wins, but it matters little that "oh no i didn't top DPS! /wrists".

Edit: To sort-of answer Trippy's question, you get a LOT of xp/realm points for winning a scenario. I am not sure on the number, but by feel the difference is so much, that losing a lot in a row does not compare with winning/losing at 50/50.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:25:26 PM by Megrim »

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 07:26:36 PM

Do you actually get anything if you top DPS or whatever? From what i've seen you get a ton of points/xp if your team wins, but it matters little that "oh no i didn't top DPS! /wrists".

You need to tag kills, the kill is then split between your nearby group members. this is also where the solo exploit comes in because just like influence you can get more solo than in a group so people leave the warband and tag players solo and do as much dps they can while others help them kill and then the exp doesnt get split.(this is my understanding of how that works) 

but if you are in a group and not near the actual killing you only get the exp for winning/losing. which is potentially only half the exp you would earn if killing non stop. So really this system doesn't support any system other than mass brawls as far as scenario's are concerned.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 08:20:23 PM

Hm. I haven't played a great deal, but xp-wise, the best i've gotten is about 24 party kills with 11 killing blows (i think) and won the round, and the xp gain from that match was not very much larger that when i've gotten 4 assists and 1/2 killing blows and won the round. I can't honestly say what the hard numbers were, but as far as i can remember, they weren't very far apart at all.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 08:37:41 PM

I gave up levelling melee alts past T3 when all that pops from scenarios are Tor Anrocs, I have to be realistic and concede that there's not much point in 'grinding' in a PVP Game. It's a pity but it's just the unfortunate fact that people want 'fast, rapid, games'. I find the whole knock-back & snare dotted to death in lava business ridiculous in Tor Anlec. So much that even if we won, I wasn't having any fun at all in melee.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 12:06:22 AM

I have a screenie of a Phoenix Gate win yesterday [everyone on Ostermark is forced to play PG at tier2, as the other scenario queues are broken]. The game was 62:48 (almost all PG games are like this, both sides defend WAY too much and don't let anyone near the flag) and the xp breakdown for our side was like:
- guy who grabbed their flag at the start and just sat way back in our base, only defending himself when they sent an offensive force: 1100 xp (on their side, the turtling flag carrier ended up with even less, 729 xp)
- some dudes who hung out on defense the entire time: 500 to 2.5k xp
- healers (including me) healing the frontline fighters trying to push into their base: 1.5 to 2k xp
- DPS'rs and frontline fighters (who barely got any kills, mind you): 5k to 6.5k xp

Everyone was in the groups, so it's not a "leave group" issue.

-- Z.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 08:49:49 AM

Damage does seem to be heavily weighted.  My Swordmaster is constantly at the top of the DPS, Renown, and XP charts.  I only start dropping towards the middle if I die a lot in a round.  While I do get in the middle of things, I don't charge recklessly and I have the armor to survive, so the don't-die-but-do-lots-of-damage tends to have me outscoring all but really good Bright Wizards.  (Really good for Teir 1.  Sounds like I won't be faring as well in the higher tiers.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 09:54:34 AM

You can do the same until the end of t2.

The key, as I do with my IB, is to use your 2hd burst properly. I run to the backline, chose a class I can wreck in 10 sec or less (sorc, squigger, magus, zealot) drop my taunt then snare bleed, armor reduction debuff, use the aoe axe attack and the short duration bleed attack. [Taunt- Binding Grudge - Stone Crusher - Vengeful Axe - Heavy Blow --> Away with Ye finisher]. This will usually put them to ~20%, at which point I knockback, which will prevent them from being healed while in the air and eventually out of los. This lets  me eat backlines, and even if I get focused on, I've killed 1-2 squishies.

I usually end up near the top of the damage dealers (especially with a decent healer on support) and almost always top killing blows.  Get about 2-3k more exp than a shield using tank in any given game. And at the same time, I can still provide a lot of tanking support with knockbacks on enemy melee and oathfriending healers and dropping a 300 willpower buff.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 11:37:40 AM

I find I do more damage and fare better with a shield.  I'm built to utilize it though.

Phunked
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 12:18:33 PM

I find I get ignored completely with a shield and can never get enough output to kill a healer.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 03:09:42 PM

If I'm left alone I can take any healer but a Disciple.  If not, I can keep them occupied for a good while.  Either way, it ties up one of their healers and possibly others while I'm smacking them around.  I'll also switch targets to make them panic, which can be effective, too.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 03:30:14 PM

The incentive to win is pretty big. So if I, tank, am the only one who will guard the flag, I get much less than the dumbasses who are killa-in-da-middla all of the time. (The one good thing is that if I can keep the flag from being taken while I'm being swarmed by three or so opponents, all the dummies getting killed will respawn, run in, kill the guys I'm keeping busy, and I get at least some XP and RP crumbs. But I still get paid off if we win. If it's clear we're losing, there is no incentive, ZERO, to try and be the hero and guard the flag, even if a come-from-behind win isn't out of the question. I'll still do it sometimes because, well, I have a hard time joining the suck. But tanks or even just people who want to win often get ripped off in this set-up.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 08:23:54 PM

Lots of people seem to pound on the enemy tanks. They can rank up a huge amount of damage. I generally go for the squishies, get outdamaged by tanks/healers, but am near the top of renown. And do pretty good in xp. Less damage but more kills = more points than great damage without killing.

Sad that more people can't understand it. I also don't get why order on our server doesn't usually get the idea of 'protect our healers/ranged, kill theirs. The kill the melees'
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 10:01:54 PM

My shadow warrior hangs out and snipes at healers and mages until they're dead.  I still tend to be in the top 5 for damage all the time and I get lots of death blows, a few solo kills and among the top for renown and XP.  It's only a problem when I get bum rushed by enemy melee and I don't have my first morale ability handy.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 12:41:27 PM

Can I have your stuff?

Makes it fucking hard to quit, too.  I managed to kick EQ once I gave all my gold and equipment away.  Some of it was still pretty nice stuff.  Knowing that I'd have to kill shit naked for hours on end just to afford shit gear was enough to keep me away.

It's far too laborious to type "delete" for each bit of soulbound gear in more current games. Evil bastards.

I have always found the best way to quit is to sell your account.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer sucks, I'm out  
Jump to: