Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Jeffrey Steefel on MoM and the impact of LOTRO on MMO's. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeffrey Steefel on MoM and the impact of LOTRO on MMO's.  (Read 3762 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: September 16, 2008, 01:52:55 PM

The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria

With Lord of the Rings Online, Turbine may not have delivered the World of Warcraft rival some were expecting - but it did deliver a superior MMORPG, and then serve it with so much new content that we thought it was worth 9/10 not once but twice. Now it's winding up to the release of LOTRO's first expansion, and after getting the lowdown on Mines of Moria, we spoke to executive producer Jeffrey Steefel about where he sees the game's present, and future.

Eurogamer: After its first year and a half, has LOTRO done anything to move MMOs forward?

Jeffrey Steefel: Definitely, in a couple of areas. We certainly see, I like to call them, er... complimentary hommages to some of our features. I mean, it's interesting to see Achievements showing up in WOW. It's interesting to see some of the smaller instances, definitely there's an increased focus on instanced storytelling in general, and I think that's one of the things that we brought to bear. I think we've pushed the industry to continually focus on content updates.

It's also helped just to have another game since WOW that's come out and really succeeded, and that's helped add credibility to the MMO space. These games are so hard to create and to launch that there's been a fair amount of difficulty over the last two years, and so every time another game comes out that demonstrates that the genre works, that contributes to the industry too.

Eurogamer: How do you define success, though, when you don't have ten million players to brag about?

Jeffrey Steefel: The first threshold is, can you make a viable game, 90 per cent of people don't get past that. In some respects success is just getting past that. The next is, do you have an ongoing, viable, profitable business that is growing? Definitely hit that mark.
'The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria' Screenshot 1

This, presumably, is a bridge over which you may pass.

Are you considered one of the leaders in the space? No question we've hit that mark, in fact most articles that you guys and other write, if they're referencing a couple of MMOs it tends to be WOW and Lord of the Rings

And then, there's another level of success, which is reaching a certain mass-market critical mass, which to be totally fair, only Blizzard has achieved completely so far. We think that we are the game that has the most likelihood of being the second to do that, but we're not there yet.

That's a combination of expanding worldwide like we're doing - that's something that'll help expand the critical mass of LOTRO, it's definitely something that helped WOW tremendously, obviously. It's a challenge, but we're confident that we can get there, especially with something of this broad appeal and high quality.

Eurogamer: Do you think that potential stays open for ever? Doesn't there come a point where your game reaches a natural size and it's not going to grow much more?
'The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria' Screenshot 2

Not big fans of the curve, dwarves.

Jeffrey Steefel: I think one of the things that's changed in the last four or five years in the MMO industry is that there's been some demonstration that that isn't true any more. It did certainly use to be true, we used to talk about the fact that there was one and a half million people in the world that wanted to play MMOs, period. Back in EverQuest and Asheron's Call days, if you had 500,000 subscribers that was it, you'd reached the natural climax.

We also used to say that whatever you established at launch is pretty much the ceiling. And now there's games out there, like EVE, that have demonstrated that you can grow something slowly, incrementally over time.

I think a lot of those things have changed, and it's really a matter of awareness. There's a lot of people that still don't know this game exists, which to us is astounding. But that's absolutely true. So it's a matter of... some of it is just patience, some of it is being more aggressive about reaching out to other markets.

Linky

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 05:26:44 PM

Jeffrey Steefel: The first threshold is, can you make a viable game, 90 per cent of people don't get past that. In some respects success is just getting past that. The next is, do you have an ongoing, viable, profitable business that is growing? Definitely hit that mark.
Yes.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 05:51:56 PM

Necro!

Yes? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I like Steefel by the way. He seriously puts his foot in his mouth sometimes, but he's pretty level-headed about how LotRO is doing and where it should be headed.

Perhaps I should get a Turbine tattoo. swamp poop

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 06:33:08 PM

The game didn't inspire me much, and I didn't stick with it, but it was well put together and had no glaring technical failures. In most industries that wouldn't be much to write home about, but now that I've seen the last few MMOGs that inspired me I'm pretty sure some folks this PARTICULAR industry can't take it for granted.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 07:17:41 PM

LOTRO is a good game, 2nd best MMO IMO.  They are hampered by the license in what they can present where WoW can twist the lore however they please. 

I want to play Moria, really want to see what they've done there but I just don't have the time to peel off from WoW.

I do hope they succeed, we need more choices.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:57:59 AM

Well, sometimes they DO go off the beaten path. awesome, for real

The concept for it can be viewed here

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:42:05 PM

Success breed deviation from lore. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Jeffrey Steefel on MoM and the impact of LOTRO on MMO's.  
Jump to: