Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:24:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: The annoying EULA thing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The annoying EULA thing  (Read 21669 times)
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

on: September 16, 2008, 11:07:54 AM

So I read on the warhammeralliance forum that the fact that you have to scroll to the bottom of the EULA, click I agree, then click OK, and then do the same thing for the Code of Conduct, every single time you load the game, is not a bug.  Like, that's actually the way they intend it to be for the lifetime of the game.

Seriously guys?  Like... seriously?  I mean... really?

Cuz, uh, good god.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:17:06 AM

This had better be a bug.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:20:55 AM

I had figured it was something they'd decided had to be done for the beta, and hadn't shut it off yet since the game wasn't technically released yet.  If that's not the case....they need to get a clue. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:03 AM

In DAoC, Mythic had you do it with each patch... which while bad, isn't AS bad.  I'm hoping they adopt this at the very least.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:23:05 AM

at least you cant say you didn't see it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 12:04:57 PM

Yeah, doing it with every patch is pretty standard.  I've never seen an MMO make you doing it every time.  That Magnus dude posted on the warhammer alliance forums saying it wasn't a bug.  I'm hoping to god he's just misinformed.
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:26 PM

If you actually did what they intend you to do, that is, read the damn thing through and through, and then do that AGAIN, and then compare and contrast that with the text you read the last time to adjust your expectations and behaviour, how much of your daily playtime would that take?

How can EULAs be enforceable, again?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:06:27 PM

How can EULAs be enforceable, again?

As you get older you learn things.  One of my favorites is that humans enjoy making rules.  They often enjoy it so much, that they fail to consider whether the rules are enforceable or not.  This is particularly true in academic circles.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 03:06:16 PM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 03:27:34 PM

This had better be a bug.
Given Mythic's intense paranoia over NDA leaks and such, I would say no.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:58:05 PM

Yeah, seems like Mythic business as usual to me. They're like the Dick Cheney of MMO companies that way.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 08:09:52 PM

Day one and I hate this. It's not a game breaker or anything but fuck it's annoying.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 08:22:52 PM

Incredibly annoying and completely over the top, I despise it.  WoW seems to be winning their court cases and only bother us once per patch so why make me a tiny bit angry everytime I login?
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 11:52:49 PM

Its the sort of thing that later on, if I'm not playing the game much and log in after a couple of weeks would make me go 'oh right, this shit again' and debate if its worth keeping the sub.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 11:59:31 PM

Call it doomcasting or anti-fanboyism or whatever you want but I have to say once more it's mythics "the customer is the enemy" philosophy that is going to hurt them in the long run. I mean seriously, having to go through hoops every time you load the game? it's the opposite of user friendly.  But it's not just this one thing, plenty of other decisions lead me to believe that "fun for the customer" is not first and foremost on their minds. to me warhammer has a very much "you're in our world now" mentality and while their world may be nice it's theirs, NOT yours and you're going to be constantly reminded of this fact through systems, customer service and game mechanics.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 12:06:23 AM

I hope this is changed pretty fucking quickly. If they want to compete with Blizzard (!)  awesome, for real and not be totally annihilated by WotLK they will need to get thine shite together.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 01:14:22 AM

This annoys the piss out of me. But it's just not that important.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:15:27 AM

Seriously... it takes like 3 seconds.  lol
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 02:39:42 AM

*lurker mode deactivate*

I seem to recall that the DAoC one was easier because the scroll box/window was smaller and after the first time of scrolling through, future launches of the game just had you check the box and away you go, no scrolling required.  The WAR one is just silly.  WoW just has you read it once every patch and you're good to go.

But anyways, the game still works, so... why so serious?

*clicks a button on his wristband and goes back to lurking*

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 04:00:57 AM

Just one more thing that makes me glad I'm not playing yet.

In 6 months, if there are some people still playing, I'll join up.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 06:57:55 AM

Yeah, it's not the end of the world or anything, but it is blatantly annoying.  WoW loads up near-instantaneously right to a login screen, which then takes you directly to character select.  WAR has three splash screens, then a loading screen, and then two agreements you have to sign by scrolling to the end, clicking a checkbox, then clicking an accept button, all while the game hitches as it loads the startup screen in the background.  Obviously it isn't a game-killer, but fucking hell does it hurt the user experience.  It's just especially weird because they obviously went through the trouble of getting the game to immediately present you with your last-played character with a big "PLAY" button next to it, which is certainly a good step toward getting into the game quickly, and then they go and blatantly fuck that goal up with three splash screens and two agreements.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 08:15:43 AM

When I sit down at my desk my computer doesn't automatically turn on.  What the fuck is this piss?  The god damn computer should sense my weight and turn on for me.  Fuck you Dell.  Assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 08:18:58 AM

Just one more thing that makes me glad I'm not playing yet.

In 6 months, if there are some people still playing, I'll join up.

Good luck doing PQ's with almost noone in the newbie areas. 

This is the biggest problem I see with the future of the game.  If the endgame is compelling, people will be concentrated there (just as in WoW) leaving the lower tiered areas a ghost town.  This will limit the gaming experience for the new player and make them dependant on a reasonable population for their fun.  As a result, completing PQ's, PvP scenarios, and open RvR will become less viable as leveling options. 

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 08:40:13 AM

Just like WOW amirite?  All MMOs suffer for that.  What's the big deal?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 08:50:53 AM

Some suffer more than others.  WoW has the advantage of having their treadmill based on a high-quality PvE experience.  WAR, not so much. 

-  Mark Twain
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 10:20:37 AM

Yeah in six months you won't be able to do PQ's and will have to wait forever to queue up for scenarios in the lower tiers, it will be brutal.  Most of the best gear seems to come from renown and in six months it will be really hard to get since there will be so few people to fight with.  No PQs and no renown means crappy gear which will make your PvE levelling slower.

Your only chance would be a large guild where you can get an alt group together.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 10:30:49 AM

Some suffer more than others.  WoW has the advantage of having their treadmill based on a high-quality PvE experience.  WAR, not so much. 

You mentioned previously that you have not experienced the end game, so how can you qualify that statement?  My opinion is that PQs and early Scenarios will be just as empty as early bracket WOW BGs (mostly) and instances.

WOW BGs only so much due to twinking.  We'll see if Mythic puts in a non-exp gaining switch.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 10:33:49 AM

You mentioned previously that you have not experienced the end game, so how can you qualify that statement? 

I've never seen a unicorn, but I can imagine what one looks like.  Sometimes a hypothesis proves correct.  Let's see in 6 months, shall we?

-  Mark Twain
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 11:01:43 AM

Yeah in six months you won't be able to do PQ's and will have to wait forever to queue up for scenarios in the lower tiers, it will be brutal.  Most of the best gear seems to come from renown and in six months it will be really hard to get since there will be so few people to fight with.  No PQs and no renown means crappy gear which will make your PvE levelling slower.

Your only chance would be a large guild where you can get an alt group together.

I actually found soloing the first (and sometimes second) parts of PQs to be about as fast as doing in a group. I soloed to 25 in beta in a week, I don't think it's going to be MUCH worse in release.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 11:08:03 AM

Speaking as someone who's 6 hours behind the curve due to a power outage, you don't even  have to wait 6 months to see them empty.  The upper T1 PQs on Empire are already abanoned as everyone's passed me up due to greater time to play.  I'm stuck doing solo questing and hoping for a scenario to pop as I try to catch up. It sucks donkey balls as I'd much rather PVP or at least do the 'group' PvE so I can get influence.  

The saving grace is that I'm already at PVP R8 after the BC runs two days ago so I've got some of that great PVP gear.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 11:10:10 AM

DON'T WORRY, LOW LEVEL RVR HELPS OUT THE WAR EFFORT!  why so serious?

Edit: Plus it's not even release yet is it? Still preorder/CE stuff, correct?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:20:10 AM by FatuousTwat »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:41 AM

You mentioned previously that you have not experienced the end game, so how can you qualify that statement? 

I've never seen a unicorn, but I can imagine what one looks like.  Sometimes a hypothesis proves correct.  Let's see in 6 months, shall we?

What ever floats your boat but your hypothesis is flawed and possibly biased.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 11:22:52 AM

"I think you are biased," said the guy who runs the Warhammer blog.

Good times.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 11:23:29 AM

There's no comparison to levelling in wow(even at release) to levelling in WAR. Wow you can go 1-60 easily without having to worry much about gear and still enjoy about 70% of the game solo(no dungeons) and pvp is not necessary in any way.

In WAR pq's replace dungeons for the most part while levelling, require groups past the first chapter and are pretty much the only way to get decent gear. Battlegrounds and RVR  in WAR are very necessary to stay on top of the pvp gear curve and also an alternative to levelling should you get bored.  

Without 'people' all you can do in warhammer is grind quests and mobs which is by far it's weakest point and even when you do get to level 40 you will be heavily undergeared and have to grind 40 realm ranks if you weren't able to get into any pvp

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 11:24:00 AM

"I think you are biased," said the guy who runs the Warhammer blog.

Good times.

awesome, for real

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: The annoying EULA thing  
Jump to: