Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:16:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: The annoying EULA thing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The annoying EULA thing  (Read 21672 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 11:28:18 AM

Speaking as someone who's 6 hours behind the curve due to a power outage, you don't even  have to wait 6 months to see them empty.  The upper T1 PQs on Empire are already abanoned as everyone's passed me up due to greater time to play.  I'm stuck doing solo questing and hoping for a scenario to pop as I try to catch up. It sucks donkey balls as I'd much rather PVP or at least do the 'group' PvE so I can get influence.  

The saving grace is that I'm already at PVP R8 after the BC runs two days ago so I've got some of that great PVP gear.

Chapter 3/4/5 PQs are actually probably empty for a different reason. If you grab a full set of the first warcamp renown gear (not the militia stuff, but the 'defenders' or whatever it is), you have zero reason to want the influence rewards in chapter 3 or 4. They're worse or at best the same as the renown gear. So people just move on, rather than stay in those to get their rewards.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:40 PM

Mark posted a message on the war herald that they're removing the requirement for accepting the code of conduct every single time you log in, but are keeping the EULA.  That's an improvement, but still ridiculous.  What particularly ticks me off is how he again says that it is necessary "for legal reasons," when clearly it is not necessary since nobody else does it.  They just WANT to do it for legal reasons.  It isn't necessary.  They have weighed the tradeoff between usability and legal protection, and decided against usability.  Whether it's the right or wrong choice, at least man up to the fact that you've made that choice intentionally.  You weren't forced, and every other company has decided otherwise.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:18 AM

Mark posted a message on the war herald that they're removing the requirement for accepting the code of conduct every single time you log in, but are keeping the EULA.  That's an improvement, but still ridiculous.  What particularly ticks me off is how he again says that it is necessary "for legal reasons," when clearly it is not necessary since nobody else does it.  They just WANT to do it for legal reasons.  It isn't necessary.  They have weighed the tradeoff between usability and legal protection, and decided against usability.  Whether it's the right or wrong choice, at least man up to the fact that you've made that choice intentionally.  You weren't forced, and every other company has decided otherwise.
First, I'm no lawyer, but; I'm not sure how they're going to enforce any changes that happens to the EULA. Trying to sue over some changes in an EULA that happens after several hundred displays of the same EULA must fail based on some kind of absurdity clause. That way it only makes sense to show it the first time and when it has changed.

"He violated the EULA that he had accepted."
"Because he didn't read it the thousandth time you shoved it in his face?"

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 06:07:17 AM

First, I'm no lawyer, but; I'm not sure how they're going to enforce any changes that happens to the EULA. Trying to sue over some changes in an EULA that happens after several hundred displays of the same EULA must fail based on some kind of absurdity clause. That way it only makes sense to show it the first time and when it has changed.

"He violated the EULA that he had accepted."
"Because he didn't read it the thousandth time you shoved it in his face?"

Then just make the EULA pop up every time it changes and then only once....problem solved.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 06:54:53 AM

You mentioned previously that you have not experienced the end game, so how can you qualify that statement? 

I've never seen a unicorn, but I can imagine what one looks like.  Sometimes a hypothesis proves correct.  Let's see in 6 months, shall we?

What ever floats your boat but your hypothesis is flawed and possibly biased.

"I think you are biased," said the guy who runs the Warhammer blog.

Good times.

If you're going to put forth an opinion on WAR's engame with only experience at level 35, then you have to do the same from the perspective of WOW's endgame from level 55 (or 65).  If you put the play experience of each game and project that experience to the end game you will or should get the same type of opinion, or view.  Both being limited.

I've been a critic of WAR for a long time.  You can see many of my criticisms on other message boards over the last year and a half, however I've seen the game improve and I know what's waiting for me after I go through the levels and I think it's a quality game. 

Good times.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 18, 2008, 08:52:59 AM

1) You only need a few minutes to decide if a game is fun or not.  It's personal.

2) By level 35, someone has invested MANY hours into the game and has a good working knowledge of the game mechanics.  You also know very well what abilities are out there as you've been able to spec in and out of all three talent trees.  I'd say that you have more than enough data at 35 to theory craft.  It's a HYPOTHESIS.  It is a guess based on an ADMITTEDLY LIMITED NUMBER of data points.

I don't think the comparison of WoW to WAR is apt.  I started to list the reasons, but I'm sure you're aware.  It's why I prefer WAR to WoW. 

NOTE: What people keep missing is that I like WAR.  I enjoy playing it.  It just seems painfully obvious that there exist many mechanics issues ripe for producing problems down the road. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:04:23 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 11:08:48 AM

I thought you were discussing content and not mechanics. 

My fault.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #42 on: September 18, 2008, 11:18:08 AM

I thought you were discussing content and not mechanics. 

My fault.

We can't discuss content, because it's still covered by the NDA.

And I still am left wondering why.

No wait, never mind, wotlk release date was announced, I don't care anymore! :)

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #43 on: September 19, 2008, 09:25:59 AM

When I sit down at my desk my computer doesn't automatically turn on.  What the fuck is this piss?  The god damn computer should sense my weight and turn on for me.  Fuck you Dell.  Assholes.

Don't be a moron. If the game is compelling, people will go through it. But if you're trying to compete with the big dog, anything that needlessly pisses off your playerbase and doesn't actually achieve anything is a Bad Thing(tm).

It's a fundamental of good web design, to not have things buried more than 2 clicks deep
Yeah, it's not the end of the world or anything, but it is blatantly annoying.  WoW loads up near-instantaneously right to a login screen, which then takes you directly to character select.  WAR has three splash screens, then a loading screen, and then two agreements you have to sign by scrolling to the end, clicking a checkbox, then clicking an accept button, all while the game hitches as it loads the startup screen in the background. 

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 19, 2008, 11:20:48 AM

I'm more for mocking nerd rage over something silly than trying to make a point out of it.  Of course it's stupid.  Of course three splash screen before the login is stupid.  But I'm not going to make a giant issue about it and start frothing.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #45 on: September 19, 2008, 11:27:03 AM

I'm more for mocking nerd rage over something silly than trying to make a point out of it.  Of course it's stupid.  Of course three splash screen before the login is stupid.  But I'm not going to make a giant issue about it and start frothing.

Yeah, but you are biased.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: September 19, 2008, 11:46:51 AM

So are you, but you're just biased towards negativity in the face of Anything.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #47 on: September 19, 2008, 12:10:27 PM

So are you, but you're just biased towards negativity in the face of Anything.

Of course I'm biased.  I also wasn't the one who ran around pointing the biased finger first, all the while talking about how WAR is the BEST GAME EVAR! with a link to my Warhammer blog in my sig.

At least I know I'm biased, that's a lot more than can be said for most around here.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 19, 2008, 01:35:28 PM

all the while talking about how WAR is the BEST GAME EVAR! with a link to my Warhammer blog in my sig.

I don't understand, are you attempting to insult me or mock me? 
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #49 on: September 19, 2008, 02:05:37 PM

all the while talking about how WAR is the BEST GAME EVAR! with a link to my Warhammer blog in my sig.

I don't understand, are you attempting to insult me or mock me? 

Trust me, I'm quite aware that you don't understand.

schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 02:09:23 PM

Cevik, is life hard?

Let's talk about our feelings.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #51 on: September 19, 2008, 02:10:20 PM

My life is incredibly easy, I'm always very well fed.

schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: September 19, 2008, 02:12:55 PM

Obviously.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #53 on: September 19, 2008, 02:15:25 PM

So how's the all Zealot guild going?

tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #54 on: September 19, 2008, 02:52:11 PM

That's pretty disingenuous.

"Me am play gods"
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #55 on: September 19, 2008, 09:35:47 PM

See, I'm taking it not as the end of the world, but as affirmation that I should start playing it in 6 months or so, when all this silly shit has been patched out in favor of commonsense if they want to compete against WoW. I've decided to give my money to Blizzard until about Feb at least to give Mythic a chance to apply a few magic patches to the game. I'm not worried about the f13 guild, they'll have all lost interest by the time WotLK comes out, anyway.

I've got 2 of my 3 pre-ordered CEs in the room with me. Fuck they are heavy, and impressive looking. Not gonna crack the shrinkwrap till I'm ready to play, though.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 21, 2008, 07:43:30 AM

I'm not worried about the f13 guild, they'll have all lost interest by the time WotLK comes out, anyway.

I think you may be surprised.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 22, 2008, 07:59:35 AM

See, I'm taking it not as the end of the world, but as affirmation that I should start playing it in 6 months or so, when all this silly shit has been patched out in favor of commonsense if they want to compete against WoW.

The whole login thing isn't something that would prevent me from playing.  But to each his own.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #58 on: September 22, 2008, 08:00:36 AM

See, I'm taking it not as the end of the world, but as affirmation that I should start playing it in 6 months or so, when all this silly shit has been patched out in favor of commonsense if they want to compete against WoW.

The whole login thing isn't something that would prevent me from playing.  But to each his own.

Yes, but you are biased.

schild
Administrator

Reply #59 on: September 22, 2008, 08:04:31 AM

Yes, but you are biased.

Isn't it a little early in the work week for you to come out from under your bridge? Go hang out in politics.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #60 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:32 AM

Whatevs. It sounds like the legal team at EA/Mythic is hedging their bets about the viability of clickthrough licenses. Sounds like a smart move, even oif it's annoying for users. Let's face it -- people will totally accept being shit upon as long as the game past the shit is fun.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: The annoying EULA thing  
Jump to: