Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:57:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "House" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "House"  (Read 23406 times)
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

on: November 08, 2004, 08:38:00 AM

So, Entertainment Weekly has a DVD with a sneak of the first episode of "House" on it, and I thought I'd start a thread about it here.

This show is Bryan "X-Men" Singer's big attempt at television, and the first episode delivers the goods.  "House" is to your usual medical drama as CSI is to your usual cop drama.  Every week, a team of brilliant young doctors is faced with obscure and baffling illnesses, and they must use science and intuition to find the answer to a medical "whodunnit".  "House" also has elements of Homicide and The Practice in tone, giving it a bit more of an edge than CSI (which frequently borders on folksy comedy).

But what really makes "House" a treat is the acting of Hugh Laurie as the crotchety, sarcastic, brutally honest, annoying, and yet brilliant, head physician.  Okay, so we've all seen this character before, but Laurie plays it with such believability that the character feels human, not a caricature.  His performance is even more amazing give that he had to adopt an American accent for the role.  Hugh Laurie is perhaps best known for his frequent minor roles in various Blackadder TV series, as well as supplying the voice of Nigel Pinchley in the Family Guy episode "One If by Clam, Two If by Sea".

"House" premiers Tuesday November 16th, 9:00PM on FOX.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 08:40:55 AM

Hugh Laurie is the one and only reason I have any interest in this show whatsoever. He is a terrific actor, a helluva comedian, but I can always tell when he's putting on an American accent. It always manages to sound just artificial enough to be noticeable, especially if you've seen his normal accent.

I'll watch the show just for him, and if it sucks, well, at least he's got steady work. Glad to know it appears to deliver the goods.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:56:40 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
  Hugh Laurie is perhaps best known for his frequent minor roles in various Blackadder TV series, as well as supplying the voice of Nigel Pinchley in the Family Guy episode "One If by Clam, Two If by Sea".

Alas, I fear you're not correct.  I would say that Hugh is probably best known these days for his starring role in the Stuart Little films.  Arg.

However, he's a fantastic actor/comedian and a hell of a nice guy as well.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 12:26:01 PM

I think you're wrong too, Bruce.  I think he's probably the best known for Jeeves and Wooster and Blackadder.  I never even saw the Stuart Little movies.  Well, maybe it's the case in the US, but, surely, even here more would know him from Blackadder, no?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 06:07:12 PM

It was partly sarcasm.  He hasn't really HAD many big roles.

Bruce
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 09:03:17 PM

oops... sorry, Bruce.  I meant to direct that to Ironwood (about the Stuart Little films) but I typed your name in error.  So I basically agree with you about Blackadder and disagree with that Ironwood fellow about Stuart Little.  Or something like that.

Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 11:18:27 PM

Percy:  Hello Eddie.  Do you like my new ruff?
Blackadder:  You look like a bird who swallowed a plate.

British humor roXXors. As does Hugh Laurie.

If you really want to make a series called "House" that will interest me, then they should adapt the mid-80s haunted house movie starring William "Greatest American Hero" Katt and Richard "The Tall Freak From Night Court" Moll. I'm sure they could both use the work.

Um, never mind.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 12:16:03 AM

Quote from: Ardent

If you really want to make a series called "House" that will interest me, then they should adapt the mid-80s haunted house movie starring William "Greatest American Hero" Katt and Richard "The Tall Freak From Night Court" Moll. I'm sure they could both use the work.

Yeah, that was the first thing that popped into my head as well, when I saw the subject.
Great corny movie.
The sequels wasn't much, allthough I do reecall Cliff Clavin as an electrician slash adventurer complete with rapier in his toolbox... or maybe I'm mixing my bad 80s movies now...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 03:32:18 AM

Quote from: Signe
oops... sorry, Bruce.  I meant to direct that to Ironwood (about the Stuart Little films) but I typed your name in error.  So I basically agree with you about Blackadder and disagree with that Ironwood fellow about Stuart Little.  Or something like that.

You haven't seen Stuart Little, so no-one else has ?  Er, ok.  I still reckon it's his most famous vehicle.  Please note also the 'best known these days' bit of my post.  It's the biggest thing he's done lately.  

Not that I'm nit picking here, but my rage has to go somewhere now the politics forum is locked.  *Ticking Time Bomb Of Rage*

Jeeves and Wooster is fantastic, but usually when we're talking British humour on these boards there's a lot of American 'huh ?' that goes on and Hanzii has to explain it to them.  No idea why him, but it usually is.  Where's Dawn Falcon when you need him ?!  Oh, that's right.  Somewhere else...

I'll stop babbling now and go post something vitriolic on brokentoys about how that bastard sold out.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 06:54:28 AM

Oh, you could be right, I don't know.  I know that Blackadder enjoys a modicum of popularity in the US, but can't say if Jeeves and Wooster ever even made it here.  Shame really... how much better can it get?  Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry!  Things like 'The Young Ones' are creeping into American TV, but I don't know how popular they are.  Fawlty Tower is here and I've even seen Brittias Empire (which I don't much care for).  I mostly assumed that the Stuart Little films were just kiddie flicks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 07:12:49 AM

'Fry and Laurie' rocked.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 07:23:52 AM

See, this is the type of thing I don't understand :  Why bother marketing or putting out things like 'Brittas Empire' in Amerca ?  Surely it just doesn't work for anyone over there ?  The culture gap must be staggering.

It's like the time I watched the American 'remake' of Fawlty Towers;  it was really like watching a group of skaters bitch-slap my gran.   Truly awful.

Sometimes it's best to accept that we are culturally divided and leave it at that.  It'd be like sending you guys 'Chewin' The Fat' and expecting you to get it...

Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 08:13:55 AM

Quote from: Hanzii
The sequels wasn't much, allthough I do reecall Cliff Clavin as an electrician slash adventurer complete with rapier in his toolbox... or maybe I'm mixing my bad 80s movies now...

You are correct. John Ratzenberger did indeed star in the brilliant "House 2: The Second Story".

Second Story ... get it? Like the second story on ... A HOUSE? Get it?????

Quote from: Ironwood
It's like the time I watched the American 'remake' of Fawlty Towers; it was really like watching a group of skaters bitch-slap my gran. Truly awful.

Has the American version of "The Office" premiered yet? Seeing as how the original BBC version is probably the best comedy to appear on TV in 10 years or so, there seems to be no possible way the remake can compare. I'm just wondering how badly they will butcher it.

Um, never mind.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 08:23:00 AM

Even though Steve Karel is on the American version of "The Office," I still don't expect it to last as long as the American version of "Coupling."

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 08:53:15 AM

Seinfeld is better than The Office. Though I do love me some of that show. Unfortunately, British seasons are like 6-8 episodes long. Resulting in really shitty continuity and about 3 hours worth of viewing.

Lazy fuckers.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 09:05:58 AM

Heh.

Seinfeld is the best of New York humor, The Office is the best of British humor. Curb Your Enthusiasm is pretty fuckin' funny too.

Why are British TV seasons so short? And they don't have commercials every five minutes? What the hell is wrong with these people, what, are they actually making an attempt at quality? Do they think television can actually be used to create art? Fools.

Oh, and speaking of Seinfeld, the Festivus season is approaching. Has everyone picked out their Festivus pole yet? I got a lot of grievances to air with you people!

Um, never mind.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 10:11:23 AM

Arrested Development is pretty damn funny.

Though after having watched Scream 2 on Halloween and then AD cpl of nights ago I realised the funniest thing maybe how hideously bad Portia de Rossi's eyebrows are.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 01:05:03 PM

Quote from: schild
Seinfeld is better than The Office.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about.  It's cultural divides that allow people to say such completely moronic and untrue stuff.

Just to demonstrate :

Sienfeld is not funny.  At all.  I have yet to laugh at an episode.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #18 on: November 10, 2004, 01:06:51 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
Even though Steve Karel is on the American version of "The Office," I still don't expect it to last as long as the American version of "Coupling."

The American "Coupling" was some of the worst television I've seen in a long time. Yet I find the British version one of the funniest shows EVAR.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 01:15:17 PM

That's probably more to do with the fact that the cast of Coupling made the writing funnier, rather than the other way around.  It's like Ab Fab - don't see that working with any other actors, to be honest.

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 08:40:26 PM

Goddamn threadjackers.

Seriously, watch "House".

Bruce
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: November 10, 2004, 09:13:28 PM

Ok, ok... I've set it to record.  I'm only watching because of Hugh Laurie.  I have a feeling it's going to be gross, though.  I cover my eyes through so many bits of CSI that sometimes I lose the plot.

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 10:06:00 PM

Actually, there's only one scene with blood and cutting, and it's fairly brief, so it's not like E.R. or anything.  There's some mediocre CG where they zoom inside someone's body.

Bruce
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 04:28:31 AM

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about.  It's cultural divides that allow people to say such completely moronic and untrue stuff.

Just to demonstrate :

See and this is where we Danes sit in the middle of the cultural divide. I prefer Drew Carey to Seinfeld (overall, a few Seinfeld episodes beats all) but I prefer Seinfeld to The Office.

Has anybody seen The Day Today? Only six episodes but fucking brilliant... maybe because they mock my line of work - just like Chef with Lenny Henry (also brilliantly funny) is my brother the gourmet chefs favourite show, but didn't appeal to that many others.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 04:39:52 AM

Quote from: Hanzii

Has anybody seen The Day Today? Only six episodes but fucking brilliant... maybe because they mock my line of work - just like Chef with Lenny Henry (also brilliantly funny) is my brother the gourmet chefs favourite show, but didn't appeal to that many others.

Yup, and Brass Eye was just as good.

I didn't think Chef was meant to be a comedy tho....

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 04:55:06 AM

Just to demonstrate :

Hi. Anomaly, meet Majority. Majority wins. Even if it's wrong. Which in this case, isn't. Tomorrow I'll introduce you to Mr. Outlier and Mr. Sample Size.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 07:05:23 AM

I met Mr Sample Size when I went for my prostate exam.  Never again, thanks.

And how is my reasoning any different than yours ?  You wrote :  "Sienfeld is better than the office."

That's nothing to do with majority, sample size, anomalies or Splicing - it's just yer opinion.

:D

Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 07:45:20 AM

Mr. Sample Size?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 07:53:36 AM

shrug I never cared for Seinfield either. Maybe my sense of humour just isnt refined enough huh?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 08:06:26 AM

You either think Seinfeld is comic genius, or it simply annoys the shit out of you when you watch it. I'm in the first category and my mother was always in the second. It seems too that women I've met tend to dislike the show more than guys, but the Simpson's is like that as well. I just think generally women don't understand good humor.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: November 11, 2004, 08:11:21 AM

Seinfeld the show was pretty funny for seasons 3-6. The rest... not so much. It was still more entertaining than half the drek that's on American TV now.

But it is, however, an acquired taste. While I love the show, I find most of his standup to be mediocre in 'teh funney' department. I chuckle, shrug, and move on. The show had me in stitches at time, with the Masturbation episode being my all-time favorite.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 11, 2004, 08:14:53 AM

Quote from: Paelos
You either think Seinfeld is comic genius, or it simply annoys the shit out of you when you watch it. I'm in the first category and my mother was always in the second. It seems too that women I've met tend to dislike the show more than guys, but the Simpson's is like that as well. I just think generally women don't understand good humor.

Well, that post was all kinds of offensive.

Good one.

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 11, 2004, 08:28:48 AM

Too many good ones to choose from, but I'd have to put the Keith Hernandez "Second Spitter" episode near the top.

Bruce
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #33 on: November 11, 2004, 08:30:22 AM

Well, that post was all kinds of offensive.

Good one.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ. Thin skin much?

Look, he said people either like Seinfeld or they don't. It's pretty much my experience too, anyone you talk to about the show either believes it was genius or complete unwatchable crap. Sure Paelos put that forth in a somewhat offensive manner (well, about as offensive as the rapping nanny in the Wedding singer...), but get over your hangups and just read what the man said.    

Though, if you want a good feel for the show, skip at least the first season. It really isn't that good.  They don't really get into the good episodes until after the initial awkwardness has worn off (plus Jerry's girlfriends early on are quite homely).

Edit: Just saw the Elaine dancing episode yesterday (it comes on after Simpsons). CLASSIC.  Even if you're not a fan, you just have to see this episode. The thumbs.. the legs flailing about.. like a full body dry heave.

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: November 11, 2004, 09:12:11 AM

If this show is any good at all, it might stand a chance.  Because really, what the fuck is there to watch at 9:00 on a Tuesday?

I'm going to agree with Ironwood, though.  More folks will recognize Hugh from Stuard Little than Black Adder.  British humor isn't a big thing (in the midwest at least) and oftentimes you're lucky to find someone who enjoys or even knows Monty Python, much less something that's only been shown on PBS in the states.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "House"  
Jump to: