Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "House" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "House"  (Read 23519 times)
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 11, 2004, 04:26:35 PM

Quote from: SirBruce
Too many good ones to choose from, but I'd have to put the Keith Hernandez "Second Spitter" episode near the top.

Bruce

See, this is what's all wrong with this thread. I usually agree with Ironwood on everything (hey, he's scottish which is by definition cool... even though he likes Irn Bru), but in this case SirBruce who has no redeeming values whatsoever just picked my favourite seinfeld.

"There must have been a second spitter"
Pure.Fucking. Genius.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 11, 2004, 07:10:47 PM

Quote from: Merusk
Because really, what the fuck is there to watch at 9:00 on a Tuesday?

There is actually an excellent choice for Tuesdays at 9pm.

Um, never mind.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: November 12, 2004, 09:02:14 AM

That's reality TV. It doesn't count.

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 16, 2004, 02:29:26 PM

Just a reminder that "House" is on tonight, and no, they aren't paying me to spam you guys. :)

Bruce
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #39 on: November 16, 2004, 02:41:56 PM

Just a reminder that "House" is on tonight, and no, they aren't paying me to spam you guys. :)

Bruce

At what time?

I'm lazy today.  Took the day off.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #40 on: November 16, 2004, 02:55:55 PM

must. watch. scrubs.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 16, 2004, 03:00:42 PM

"House" premiers Tuesday November 16th, 9:00PM on FOX.

That's Pacific time; not sure what it is elsewhere.

Bruce
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 16, 2004, 03:55:53 PM

You know, after looking at Shockeye's and my new avatars, I'm suddenly in the mood to watch some old Judy Garland movies.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I dumped the elf avatar and went with the less sexually threatening Klayman.

Um, never mind.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #43 on: November 16, 2004, 04:54:05 PM

The Wiggles are not gay.  They're just Australian.  They can't help it.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 16, 2004, 10:51:14 PM

*cough cough*

.k SR

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #45 on: November 17, 2004, 04:23:04 AM

At the risk of being on-topic, I watched this last night.  While I enjoyed the show it was very awkward hearing Hugh with that odd gravely whine than a British accent.  It fits the character far better, but it just didn't 'feel' right to me.  I also found myself really not liking his character.

It might just be that it was my first exposure, but he seemed far too antagonistic.  He's not the Gil Grissom "I just don't get social situations" type of character, or the "I stay distant to protect myself" type of character.  He was just generally an ass in the whole ER's Dr. Romano type of way, just far less brash.

Actualy, Romano after he loses the arm is exactly who he reminds me of. The fact that he's crippled only reinforces that notion.

While I enjoyed Romano as an ancillary character, basing a whole show around one might not work, at least for me.  I tend to get tired of the assholes and hope they get a helicopter dropped on them or something similarly gruesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nazrat
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 17, 2004, 04:39:20 AM

Quote from: Merusk

While I enjoyed Romano as an ancillary character, basing a whole show around one might not work, at least for me.  I tend to get tired of the assholes and hope they get a helicopter dropped on them or something similarly gruesome.

Watching that helicoptor scene with my wife, I burst out laughing which was not very popular with my ER loving wife.  In about 2 minutes, however, even she was laughing also.  It was such an over the top way to punish the "bad guy" on that show that it made me laugh.  

I almost watched House last night but then I remembered that Amazing Race was on and who recommended House.
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 17, 2004, 04:43:17 AM

Well, now you know why I liked him. :)

The uncut version on the preview DVD had an extra scene where you find out a little more background about his "students", and also a scene where the doctor at the beginning grabs House's cane to stop him from getting on the elevator before he agrees to take the case.  ("Would you grab somebody's *leg*?", House growls.)  That explains the comment he makes to his boss later where he asks if she is going to grab his cane too.

The analogy to Romano is certainly apt, although I don't think House is quite that much of an intentional asshole.  Romano was purposefully abusive and mysoginistic because he was an evil bastard.  House is more of the antisocial, "I'm brilliant; leave me alone you fucking idiots!" type.

Bruce
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #48 on: November 17, 2004, 10:07:59 AM

The Amazing Race has now rejumped the shark.

They, like the producers of all reality TV shows, have forgotten that the point is to put regular people in weird situations, and watch them turn weird.  After a couple of seasons, they always jump the gun and go out of their way to find explicitly weird people, in which case you have no empathy and it's just a freakshow.

Last season's attempt to jump the shark by casting a midget wasn't enough to ruin the show, because she actually turned out to be a nice and sympathetic person.  This season's more able effort of casting a professional wrestling couple, a lesbian couple, 2 Brooklyn Jews (from whom every single comment. . every single one. . involves either a comparison to Brooklyn or some aspect of being Jewish), the nightmare egomaniac entrepreneur and his battered wife, two Mormon party girls, and 18 models will probably be more successful in destroying the show.

Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 17, 2004, 10:34:21 AM

I want to remain optimistic, sidereal, but I am afraid you may be right.

From the opening episode, there was no team that I felt I could support, yet many teams that I actively hate. There are no teams of the caliber of Chip and Kim or even the Bowling Moms this season. This new group of freakos even make me miss Colin and Christie. The only team that I even slightly empathized with have already been eliminated.

Although I do have to say, the lady wrestler had the line of the night: "We got beat by blue hair! That's embarassing!" Heh.

Um, never mind.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #50 on: November 17, 2004, 10:45:32 AM

The best team ever was that gay couple from San Francisco, because they were actually nice and didn't sprint everywhere like assholes (Honestly, what's the point of sprinting around like a jackass if you're going to be sleeping for 8 hours in the airport later?), and they made it pretty far.  It's been consistently downhill since then.

Lame attempt to get back on topic:  I'm trying to find time to watch House.  He reminds me of M*A*S*H's Hawkeye in a good way.

Pineapple
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 17, 2004, 10:49:54 AM

Quote from: Hanzii

"There must have been a second spitter"
Pure.Fucking. Genius.

"You know I always wanted to pretend I was an architect"

There are so many good lines from that show.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: November 17, 2004, 11:11:35 AM

I watched House last night. It's very hard to like the character, and some of the situations felt like intentional attempts to manipulate the narrative. Still, I got used to Hugh Laurie's attempt at an American accent, and started to like the character despite his being an asshole. The whole "You're orange, you moron!" was hysterical.

About the accent, I don't understand WHY they don't let him speak in his natural voice. I mean, one of the guys on his team is a fucking Brit, and Laurie is a Brit, but the star of the show can't be British? WTF? I'm trying to wrap my mind around why the accent is being used, and I can't think of one good narrative reason. It just seems to be more of a marketing decision, as in "Americans won't buy a show with a British protagonist."

I don't think the show is going to last. It's just left of center enough to not appeal to Middle America. I'm surprised Fox didn't put it on Friday nights just to doom it from the start.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #53 on: November 18, 2004, 06:35:56 AM

I watched it, and I liked it. He's a dick, but he's a dick for a reason most of the time. Let's face it, we've all been around people we want to strangle because they think they have all the answers or they are just being obtuse. His character basically cuts through the bullshit and gets to the heart of the matter in a brutal fashion. It's something I've been accused of before in my life, especially since the South is known for gentile, beating around the bush, be nice to everyone then talk shit about them later behavior.

The downsides have been mentioned so far. The accent is contrived, the dialogue does seem forced in places for shock value alone, and the main character toes the line of being completely unsympathetic. Still, giving the hypochondriac breathmint placebos made me laugh, as did the whole conversation with his hot assistant. Those are quality moments.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
esad
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 18, 2004, 07:04:17 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Even though Steve Karel is on the American version of "The Office," I still don't expect it to last as long as the American version of "Coupling."

I read a news article not too long ago that said that the NBC produced pilot of The Office tested about the worse of any show they have ever tested. Apparently american test audiences didn't get it and didn't think it was funny. I don't think that NBC was going to pick it up for any run at all.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #55 on: November 18, 2004, 07:33:52 AM

All this shit about the accent is pointless. I have never seen the guy in anything so the fact that he is British isn't relevant at all to the show. I liked the show. I don't watch TV much but ever since Nip/Tuck went into re-runs my wife and I have been looking for something to watch one night a week. Not sure this will be it, though, since my wife go all pissy at the end when he told the hot chick doctor that hot chicks who choose tough careers are fucked in the head somehow.

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #56 on: November 18, 2004, 08:35:12 AM

Quote from: shiznitz
All this shit about the accent is pointless. I have never seen the guy in anything so the fact that he is British isn't relevant at all to the show. I liked the show. I don't watch TV much but ever since Nip/Tuck went into re-runs my wife and I have been looking for something to watch one night a week. Not sure this will be it, though, since my wife go all pissy at the end when he told the hot chick doctor that hot chicks who choose tough careers are fucked in the head somehow.

Yes, women won't like it, but hell it's not that far off. Most hot women I've known that wanted to be lawyers or doctors had really fucked up personalities. Then again, so did the guys.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #57 on: November 18, 2004, 09:45:13 AM

Well I got in trouble because I would not come right out and condemn the sentiment. I think it has validity. My wife has issues separating generalizations from herself.

I have never played WoW.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 18, 2004, 10:10:41 AM

Quote from: shiznitz
Well I got in trouble because I would not come right out and condemn the sentiment. I think it has validity. My wife has issues separating generalizations from herself.

In that case, just tell her that, on this particular issue, most women are whiny and full of shit.

Then prepare to be bitchslapped.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: November 18, 2004, 05:19:15 PM

What he was saying was that hot women like her didn't have to be smart, didn't have to try at all to do anything because more often than not, men of all stripes will fall all over themselves to give her stuff for free, including grades, jobs and other shit. The fact that she actually worked at her grades and her job showed she was more than just a pretty face and that something either wasn't right or was very right. Either way, she was the type of person he wanted on his staff.

We just don't know why he wants these particular types on his staff, or really what his staff does.

SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 18, 2004, 05:49:22 PM

In the deleted scene, they make it clear that these are recently-graduated medical students doing their internships.  Chase, the Brit, has been there a year; Cameron, the girl, has been there 6 months, and Foremon, the black guy has been there only 3 days.  Oh hell, I'll just transcribe it for you guys:

Foreman (the black guy): "I've been here for three days, and I haven't seen an actual patient.  This all we do?"

Chase (the Brit), doing a crossword puzzle: "Until the checks start bouncing."

Foreman: "So glad I passed up that Neurology job at Sloan.  So glad I was able to parlay a Chief Residency position into this ..."

Chase: "So glad you filled us in on your vaunted past."

Foreman: "My point was, it doesn't matter how smart the guy is if he's just wasting our time."

Chase: "Yeah, see, uhh, you've completely discounted the possibility that I'm here because it's boring.  I get to tell women I'm a doctor and I have time to date them.  Nine letters - Iodine deficiancy in children."

Foreman: "Cretinism.  So, umm, how long have you been here, Cameron?"

Cameron (at the computer): "Six months.  Chase has been here a year."

Foreman: "So, uhh, what's your specialty?"

Cameron: "Immunology."

Chase: "Intensive Care."

Foreman: "Well, is House abusive, mysogynist, or just can't afford a secretary?"

Chase: "*laugh* He doesn't need a secretary."

Foreman: "He's got her answering his mail."

Chase: "Uhhh. No, he doesn't."

Foreman (to Cameron): What are you doing?

Cameron: Answering his mail.

Foreman (to Chase): She's answering his mail.

Chase: But he didn't ask her too.

Cameron: He throws all the requests for consults into the trash.  I get them out, and apologize that he's too busy.

Bruce
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 23, 2004, 09:55:37 PM

Well, this week's episode wasn't quite as good.  Still some great character moments from Dr. House, though.  I'm hoping not every episode won't involve multiple WRONG diagnoses before they get the right one -- it would be nice if they just flailed around trying various things without ever deciding they are "certain" of anything.

Bruce
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #62 on: November 24, 2004, 06:36:15 AM

I actually liked it better than the first one. House didn't come off as big of a jackoff as he did in the first episode. He was still sarcastic, arrogent, and generally caustic, but he had moments where you realized a lot of that is his adjustments to the world he lives in.

Overall, I give it a 3.5/5, and frankly its the only thing worth a damn on Tuesday nights.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: November 24, 2004, 08:16:15 AM

After watching the second one, I'm hooked. Not by the medical diagnosis shit, that's really a sideshow IMO. The real hook is the characters, and I hope they actually push them more, as opposed to dropping into a diagnosis, misdiagnose and kvetch, then stumble upon the solution formula. The show could go bad or good, depending on which side of the character development thing they go to.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "House"  
Jump to: