Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online  |  Bat Country (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Class Choice Discussion (Split from Live Roll Call) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Class Choice Discussion (Split from Live Roll Call)  (Read 11897 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 10:37:50 AM

It's becoming very common to have healers not heal.  Though really, it seems to be limited more to archmages, since I always see them pew pewing random things while I'm getting swarmed.  Even just one healer on a tank can make a huge difference.  It's a lesson that the chaos players seemed to have grasped a lot better. 

Early on Archmages have all these debuffs and damage abilities thrown at them while only having one "ok" HoT and a crappy Direct Heal spell.  Once you run completly out of APs trying to heal someone with it you realize it's uselessness compared to Rune Priest healing and forget about it. (it heals 77 health when you're buffed to R8)  The next heal spell you get is a life siphon that works fairly well, but still fits in that "Damage spell" role better.  Then you get yourr morale heal, and then a "will break on any damage taken" long-cast heal.

Meanwhile you've gotten a DoT that does good damage, the eyebeams that reduce chance to crit by 5% and do damage, the siphon, your starter nuke and the lazerbeam palm that does a LOT of damage and doesn't disrupt easily.  Then you get your "Do damage and remove AP" spell and a damage debuff/ pve detaunt. 

So, yeah, I can see why a lot of Archmages just say screw it and go damage around R10, even if it's not fully utilizing the class.   It's a class that requires a hybrid approach that most people can't handle. (Face it we're all lazy and would rather do one job and hope we do it very well than split concentration so we can do two jobs at the mediocre level)   Plus, since early on the  healing half just isn't stellar you kind of think you're supposed to be doing damage and spot-healing.

"REAL" healing is for those Rune Priests and Warrior Priests.  That's why they've got "priest" in the name and I've got "MAGE" there.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 11:26:47 AM

Quick question, is the ironbreaker fun and do we have too many?  The swordmaster balance mechanic was getting on my nerves last night.  

I have been playing a swordmaster and bright wizard, but deep down I am a melee guy at heart.  I suppose I could try a warrior-priest as well, but I played a cleric in an EQ raiding guild, so I really have no desire to play a healer ever again.  

It is fun, and I am pretty sure there's no such thing as too many ironbreakers.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 02:14:11 PM

Quick question, is the ironbreaker fun and do we have too many?  The swordmaster balance mechanic was getting on my nerves last night.  

I have been playing a swordmaster and bright wizard, but deep down I am a melee guy at heart.  I suppose I could try a warrior-priest as well, but I played a cleric in an EQ raiding guild, so I really have no desire to play a healer ever again.  

The ironbreaker is totally fun, and it's pretty hard to have too many of them. Give the warrior priest a whirl too, even if you're sick of healing they're pretty different from your standard healer, although I did find attempting to heal anyone besides myself in RvR really frustrating.

God Save the Horn Players
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 02:23:14 PM

The ironbreaker is totally fun, and it's pretty hard to have too many of them. Give the warrior priest a whirl too, even if you're sick of healing they're pretty different from your standard healer, although I did find attempting to heal anyone besides myself in RvR really frustrating.

Sjofn forgets to mention one very important part of playing an Ironbreaker, and that is that you can play as a female Dwarf.

That is a very strong, important point.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 02:24:01 PM

How silly of me. That's totally the best part!

God Save the Horn Players
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #40 on: September 19, 2008, 02:37:32 PM

Melee healer are not support healers.

"Me am play gods"
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #41 on: September 20, 2008, 08:23:56 AM

Melee healers make great non-emergency/backup healers. The melee healer dynamic is weird, but it works in groups, especially at higher levels when the primary healer has 'heal group' and chain heals.

Still more useful to have a dps and a healer than 2 melee healer though.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online  |  Bat Country (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Class Choice Discussion (Split from Live Roll Call)  
Jump to: