Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:43:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 760090 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1155 on: April 14, 2013, 05:35:10 PM

All links dead. From the screencaps of it though, that looks exactly like the demo from PAX East. Not surprising little in the way of style and UI has changed in the last few weeks smiley

Just pick your fantasy MMO of choice, put its name into youtube, watch a video of someone playing it for a while and then you've basically seen it.

Don't need to, I played it. Not to repeat a few pages back, but it had a Morrowind look with a kinda-Skyrim/DDO action feel. It was generic in a early LoTRO way without even any of the more recent features like dynamic or scaling events, which weren't really on the scene until near 2010 anyway.

Between WoW and GW2, there were various attempts to figure out what WoW didn't do well for a large enough number of people to justify a AAA without needing to fight Blizzard. It feels like these guys figured "but it's set in the beloved ES world!!" as their main point of difference, and enough people are using Skyrim's success to continue that kool aid drinking, ignoring that some of the very things that made Skyrim successful aren't on the short list of launch features for ESO.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1156 on: April 14, 2013, 07:13:40 PM

We all kind of suspected it was going to be shit, but I'll be fair and say this really wasn't going to do it any favors either way. The setting was never going to carry the game if the combat wasn't true to the other games. That was the problem. Blizzard wouldn't have been able to make a game like Skyrim, set in Azeroth, and then released WoW with tab-target combat after the fact to the same acclaim. Hell, I doubt Blizzard could release WoW NOW to the same acclaim. It's a fool's errand to even try.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1157 on: April 14, 2013, 07:23:14 PM

To be fair it has pretty good character customization for an MMO anymore, on par with other TES games.

After that though...uhhh...

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1158 on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:53 AM

Video also located here:
http://vimeo.com/64004925
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1159 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:23 AM

Looks something between Vanguard and Age of Conan. Quality is of course better than those but not nearly enough as one would expect both by an Elder Scrolls and a 2013 game. Very, very underwhelming. I must say, as much as I wasn't believing in this game, this is much less than the "very little" I was already expecting.
From the short bit I saw it looked like EQ with a few more polys.

Roommate: "Hey, come take a look at this."

Lantyssa: "That looks like EQ."

R: "EQ2?"

L: "No, EQ.  What is it?  Some indie project?"

R: "TESO."

Both: <nervous laughter>

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1160 on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:04 AM

This one's up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vcvo1peVCY

Its funny how bad this looks.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1161 on: April 15, 2013, 10:38:01 AM

The font and colors remind me of Vanguard.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1162 on: April 15, 2013, 10:38:19 AM

It looked to me that the targeting was reticule based in first person, but as soon as he switched to third person he was able to kite backwards with his spells hitting the target automatically.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1163 on: April 15, 2013, 11:32:38 AM

1080p downloadable version here: https://mega.co.nz/#!xMECgZCa!UHHVEUYqaWiZZRo4ifD18zDVi9Q7YCUy3XS00t-_GtA
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1164 on: April 15, 2013, 11:40:54 AM

It looked to me that the targeting was reticule based in first person, but as soon as he switched to third person he was able to kite backwards with his spells hitting the target automatically.

That was exactly my thought as well. Which is true, is a terrifying departure from what they've promised, and what ES games were about.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1165 on: April 15, 2013, 11:53:19 AM

1080p downloadable version here: https://mega.co.nz/#!xMECgZCa!UHHVEUYqaWiZZRo4ifD18zDVi9Q7YCUy3XS00t-_GtA

Why anyone would want to download a 1080p video of a game that looks distinctly pre-HD is beyond me.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1166 on: April 15, 2013, 11:55:41 AM

The font and colors remind me of Vanguard.
I really hope those are placeholders while they work on the much better looking replacements.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1167 on: April 15, 2013, 11:57:06 AM

It's impressive how hard they are working to take down the leaks. The game looks great, I'd be proud of it if I were them.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1168 on: April 15, 2013, 12:06:33 PM

It's impressive how hard they are working to take down the leaks. The game looks great, I'd be proud of it if I were them.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Case in point, Blizzard's lack of NDA in their beta process for WoW.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1169 on: April 15, 2013, 12:52:00 PM

I really hope those are placeholders while they work on the much better looking replacements.

How many times has that sentence or some variant been written about a soon-to-be-released MMOG? And every single time the answer is those are not placeholders.

I have never played WoW.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1170 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:43 PM

This feeding frenzy of fail is why NDAs exist. Facepalm
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1171 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:25 PM

This feeding frenzy of fail is why NDAs exist. Facepalm

And the hyperbole isn't restricted to F13 though it sometimes seems like it. A couple of examples. I grabbed the HD version off a torrent site and whoever said it looks like Everquest might want to look into an eye exam or a new video card. Dispite being loaded with compression artifacts the graphics looks on a par with Rift imo.  If anyone wants to dispute that I will happily post an EQ1 screenshot and one from ESO for a real comparison.

Note: I don't plan to play this it does nothing for me but the frenzy of fail that pops up in this topic is retarded.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1172 on: April 15, 2013, 01:48:02 PM

Why anyone would want to download a 1080p video of a game that looks distinctly pre-HD is beyond me.

In the era of 50 mbit internet connections and always on connections, why would you get anything less?

Besides, you can read all the text and get a feel for just how generic this game is. It should be renamed to The _______________________ Online and let people choose their own adventure as to what the IP and setting actually are.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1173 on: April 15, 2013, 01:49:09 PM

Gameplay should trump visuals anyway. Someone will probably call me a retarded old fart for saying that but I will retort with "Minecraft, bitch!"

I have never played WoW.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1174 on: April 15, 2013, 01:56:42 PM

Every single thing in that video looks like shit. Gameplay along with everything else, the whole nine yards looks like garbage.

The reason it reminds people of EQ1 is that the color of the player's name is I swear exactly the same as EQ1. That and it looks like ass. Not 1991 ass but pretty fucking horrible. Anyone defending the game after this needs to get their head examined.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: April 15, 2013, 02:44:07 PM

Gameplay should trump visuals anyway. Someone will probably call me a retarded old fart for saying that but I will retort with "Minecraft, bitch!"

I can't play a video. It hardly seems unfair to judge a game on its visual merits when that's really all you can judge it by at this point. And it looks pretty much like a game from 5 years ago. The textures are drab and muddy, the area showcased is derivative and lacks any sort of detail. The character animations are functional at best, but there doesn't seem to be anything rooting the characters to the ground, they just float and skim. They don't appear to interact with the environment - the ground chaff doesn't acknowledge their movement through it.

About the highest praise I can give the graphics is the water looks nice and the shadows are good. From what I can make of the gameplay, it's a generic MMO with FP reticule aiming that switches to auto-target in 3rd person (which understandably would worry PvPers) unless I'm misinterpreting things. Um. Yay? I'm going to go play with the furries in Wildstar. Carbine seem to know what 'fun' is.

Minecraft. That is also what fun is.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:00:43 PM by Mattemeo »

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1176 on: April 15, 2013, 04:44:00 PM

I'm going to go play with the furries

well there's a big surprise

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1177 on: April 15, 2013, 04:49:47 PM

Everquest?  You folks need a reminder of what Everquest looked like.  Conan, maybe, with EQ2's terrible interface.   It's about where middle-high level games were 4-5  years ago, not 1999 or 2004.  They're certainly better than the champs online graphics, just with terrible player models.  

Oddly enough it's the first game I've seen where I wish there was *more* brown. Too much yellow makes it really hard on the eyes.

That said, gameplay is as I predicted.  Shocker!  Well.. what combat there was of it.  Shitloads of walking/ running around, just like an actual elder scrolls game!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1178 on: April 15, 2013, 04:50:38 PM

Don't want to white knight this game too much (after all they still haven't invited me to the beta despite telling me I had an excellent chance!!) but we also don't know if that video shows the game at anything like max settings or what sort of PC he was playing it on.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:52:57 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: April 15, 2013, 04:53:27 PM

Don't want to white knight this game too much (after all they still haven't invited me to the beta despite telling me I had an excellent chance!!) but we also don't know if that video shows the game at anything like max settings or what sort of PC he was playing it on.

When he shows the option screens he's running on max.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1180 on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:02 PM

Ah. Then it does look like shite.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1181 on: April 15, 2013, 06:50:11 PM

And I said "EQ with more polys".  Or as others have said, Vanguard.  Though Vanguard looked better the little I saw of it.

Considering I played neither, it was a snap comment.  Geezus.  I love how you guys can sperg out on an insulting comment. Heart

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1182 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:46 PM

I love how you guys can sperg out on an insulting comment. Heart

But sperging out with the insulting comments is a ok right?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1183 on: April 15, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

The very second I saw that cg opening with the 'pretty' elder scroll elves I knew it was going to be shit.  I'm just surprised no one else noticed it, game made by committe.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1184 on: April 15, 2013, 07:58:57 PM

I'm going to go play with the furries

well there's a big surprise

Says the guy who always makes bears.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1185 on: April 16, 2013, 07:32:36 AM

Looks like EQ2 to me. The uninspired EQ2 of launch, not the later stuff that actually looked good.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1186 on: April 16, 2013, 08:30:30 AM

I don't really care how it looks. The targeting is a lie!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1187 on: April 16, 2013, 01:00:12 PM

Ah. Then it does look like shite.

This. Not a 2013 game at all. I saw nothing in that video that would make me want to play this.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1188 on: April 16, 2013, 02:44:33 PM

The Scandie with the beard was cute.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1189 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:13 PM

The question is, how will they try to get the hypetrain rolling again?

Speaking of which, where's our little buddy Blackwulf? I figured he would enjoy this.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: