Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755810 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 05:41:00 PM

I guess a player can become emperor? Is that true?

ALL HAIL THE NEW EMPEROR: xXx_WeeDGokU_xXx

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 06:06:53 PM

Fairly inevitable, but the company is so poor at coming up with game mechanics and balance it should be fairly hilarious. And this time you won't be able to download mods to correct their flaws.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:28 PM

Fairly inevitable, but the company is so poor at coming up with game mechanics and balance it should be fairly hilarious. And this time you won't be able to download mods to correct their flaws.

Bethesda isn't making this.  If they were, I wouldn't really be very optimistic.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:13 PM

Long info dump after the break, taken from GAF:

Hotbar combat (limited skill selection, can swap out of combat, ala D3/GW2), third person, no player housing, 'classes and experience and aother traditional MMORPG progression mechanics'

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 06:21:10 PM

Oh and I await the interface from HELL.

Oh God, this.

I buy every TES game, and I promptly give up after the first week with the awful (nay criminal) UI for a modern PC game.

The only interest for me is seeing Matt Firor and others fro DAoC/Mythic on it. Maybe they'll use it as a springboard excuse to do a true DAoC successor.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 06:32:47 PM

3 factions bitches!  this guy looks legit
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 06:38:26 PM

The idea that the "Lore" of the elder scrolls world has any value, as championed in that article, is hilarious. It was just an expanse to walk through looking for points of interest and things to kill. The PvP section could have been written as "Like GW2 is doing without the server vs server aspect to keep it fresh".

Oh well, it's only a fluff article. I look forward to learning more when the NDA drops.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:22:41 PM by Kageru »

- Simond
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 07:27:17 PM

-Third person perspective
-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs
-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR
-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2
-There will be no player housing
-There will be no NPC romances or marriage

-"It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players."

-"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world."

-The game uses MMORPG genre standards such as classes, experience points, and other traditional MMORPG progression mechanics, but they try to present it "around the core fantasy presented by traditiona Elder Scrolls games" such as traveling around and righting wrongs or seeking riches

Sometimes I think WoW wasn't a game Blizzard designed to make money, it was a game they designed to destroy rival game studios one by one for the sheer villainy of it.

This sounds like what everyone thought it was going to be. WoW with a TES paintjob, on the Hero engine no less. Good fucking game MMO industry, you guys are the stupidest motherfuckers on the planet.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:29:49 PM by FieryBalrog »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 07:30:40 PM

If they make combat about button mashing abilities, this game will be DOA. I'm hoping, hoping, HOPING, they don't try to make a loot centered raiding don't stand in the fire clone.

Nevermind. Fuck this game and let it die in the writhing pit with the rest of the clones.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 07:35:27 PM

Is it a reading comprehension thing?  Where in the article does it say the game is just like WOW?

-No quest hubs.  This is one huge difference, which leads to:
-Massive open world you can explore and get rewarded for doing quest like things organically - no quest giver - i.e. you find a barrow of undead, you clear them, and the shade you put to rest gives you a reward
-Endurance management that allows you to: block, sprint, break CC, fire off big attacks (all classes need to manage this)
-Skill combos that you can chain off your own abilities or your allies'
-Perpetual PVP zone in the center of the world map where you fight over cities, farms, keeps, towers, mines
-Open, non-instanced dungeons
-Three factions
-Graphics that are really nothing like WOW - more like non plastic looking EQ2

I could go on and on, but really, try to read the leaks a little more carefully.  It doesn't sound like WOW 2.0 to me, it sounds like DAOC 2.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:37:38 PM by blackwulf »
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 07:40:21 PM

There's nothing about it at all that sounds like Elder Scrolls. Also 3 factions and a pvp zone does not DAOC make, any more than RvR lakes and city sieges did it for WAR. 3 factions is not a magic bullet by itself.

They themselves say class structure, XP, and other mechanics are "traditional MMORPG". Gee, I wonder what they mean by that, couldn't be bog standard DIKU (Warcraft edition), no sir.
An example quest is the story of Camlorn, where you have to stop evil werewolves who have their eyes set on conquest. First, you have to do a "standard MMO kill and collection quest" to sto ghosts from attacking some mages and soldiers. The ghosts are reliving a battle that the werewolf leader was in. You summon a ghost to find out what's going on, and the ghost tells you to wear her dead husband's armor to re-experience the battle he died in. You then get transported hundreds of years into the past to fight this battle. During this battle, you can choose to save the dead man's wife or to pursue the Werewolf leader. ZeniMax chooses to save the man's wife, who then tells you that the Werewolf leader is weak to fire. This information is helpful when you fight him, but you don't actually need to do this quest before fighting the werewolf leader if you don't want to. Basically, you can skip parts of quest chains if you want, but you get some benefit for playing the whole thing. Also, whenever you go back to the town you just saved, everything there hails you as a hero.
Yeah, this is revolutionary and new.  swamp poop Sounds like WoW with extra phasing. Real DAOC vibes here amirite?

-Open, non-instanced dungeons
-The game will have raids and heroic modes for its dungeons as end game content in addition to faction PvP
-There is also balanced PvP for people who prefer eSports

-The game will also have high end public dungeons
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:45:09 PM by FieryBalrog »
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46:38 PM

There's nothing about it at all that sounds like Elder Scrolls. Also 3 factions and a pvp zone does not DAOC make, any more than RvR lakes and city sieges did it for WAR. 3 factions is not a magic bullet by itself.

They themselves say combat, class structure, XP, and other mechanics are "traditional MMORPG". Gee, I wonder what they mean by that, couldn't be bog standard DIKU (Warcraft edition), no sir.
An example quest is the story of Camlorn, where you have to stop evil werewolves who have their eyes set on conquest. First, you have to do a "standard MMO kill and collection quest" to sto ghosts from attacking some mages and soldiers. The ghosts are reliving a battle that the werewolf leader was in. You summon a ghost to find out what's going on, and the ghost tells you to wear her dead husband's armor to re-experience the battle he died in. You then get transported hundreds of years into the past to fight this battle. During this battle, you can choose to save the dead man's wife or to pursue the Werewolf leader. ZeniMax chooses to save the man's wife, who then tells you that the Werewolf leader is weak to fire. This information is helpful when you fight him, but you don't actually need to do this quest before fighting the werewolf leader if you don't want to. Basically, you can skip parts of quest chains if you want, but you get some benefit for playing the whole thing. Also, whenever you go back to the town you just saved, everything there hails you as a hero.
Yeah, this is revolutionary and new.  swamp poop Sounds like WoW with extra phasing. Real DAOC vibes here amirite?

Fiery, you and I are interpretting this same article very differently.  We can keep going at it all day long - you are being pessimistic, and I'm being optimistic.  I could talk to you about how Matt Firor had nothing to do with WAR, and everything to do with the original design of RVR, but who cares?  We'll have to wait and see what comes out of actual interviews and in-game footage.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 07:47:05 PM

Long info dump after the break, taken from GAF:

-Public dungeons are essentially instances that aren't actually instanced, so anyone can be in them, so imagine a World of Warcraft dungeon that featured everyone on the server in the area instead of just your party
Wow; old is new again. Athough it's mildly depressing they even have to explain the concept.
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 07:48:45 PM

They themselves say combat, class structure, XP, and other mechanics are "traditional MMORPG". Gee, I wonder what they mean by that, couldn't be bog standard DIKU (Warcraft edition), no sir.

Fiery, you and I are interpretting this same article very differently.  We can keep going at it all day long - you are being pessimistic, and I'm being optimistic.  I could talk to you about how Matt Firor had nothing to do with WAR, and everything to do with the original design of RVR, but who cares?  We'll have to wait and see what comes out of actual interviews and in-game footage.
How can you read this:
And think they give a fuck about DAOC?
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 07:54:04 PM

How can you read this:

You don't remember the BG's in DAOC?  I'm hoping the'll do something similar - so it makes sense in the lore.  Camelot Herald had leader boards before it was cool, btw.
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 08:00:49 PM

How can you read this:

You don't remember the BG's in DAOC?  I'm hoping the'll do something similar - so it makes sense in the lore.  Camelot Herald had leader boards before it was cool, btw.
That wasn't eSports. No one says that about their epic RvR game unless "epic RvR game" are just words on a page to them that coexist with "balanced PvP for eSports" which are also just words on a page.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 08:03:22 PM

The main point is that the combat is based on the same stupid button-mashing-mmo-bar shit. Where was the action bar in TES stuff? I must have missed that one.

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 08:10:45 PM

That wasn't eSports. No one says that about their epic RvR game unless "epic RvR game" are just words on a page to them that coexist with "balanced PvP for eSports" which are also just words on a page.

Those are Game Informer's words - the esports thing.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:38 PM

A team of 250 people are about to drop the world's largest steamer after six years of hard work.  At least the magnitude of this game's failure will give Bioware Austin someone to piss on from above.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 08:14:23 PM

The main point is that the combat is based on the same stupid button-mashing-mmo-bar shit. Where was the action bar in TES stuff? I must have missed that one.

Yeah, if you really liked the TES (Skyrim) combat, I don't think I can say anything to sway you.  I thought it was clunky and lame compared to 2001 era DAOC with positional styles and follow up chains and reactionary styles.  Based on the article, TESO is going to have a similar system but much more advanced.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 08:36:23 PM

A team of 250 people are about to drop the world's largest steamer after six years of hard work.  At least the magnitude of this game's failure will give Bioware Austin someone to piss on from above.

This... There is no chance of this being a good game.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 08:36:52 PM

Legitimately surprised they're going with action-bar combat. So their selling point is going to be...what, the wonderful story/setting of The Elder Scrolls? A PVP focus? Good luck with that.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 08:47:22 PM

Bioware Austin someone to piss on from above.

It would have to be an incredible stinker to give Bioware Austin any cred. It probably hasn't cost as much or had such a global IP to leech off. I mean Jedi knights versus.... hell, I don't even know what is iconic about elder scrolls... Redguard spell-swords?

- Simond
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 08:54:33 PM

The only iconic thing about TES is the Daedric Lords, imo.

FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:25 PM

Also, this better be the last time in the history of the world that someone pulls out the DAOC card and says "yeah man, we have {X number of people from DAOC here where X >=1} therefore, we totally GET PvP and our MMO will totally blow you the fuck away, HYPE BABY."

Yeah, it's not like we heard that twice already, once with the actual Mythic team itself. And the second time around with the hollowed out shell of the Mythic team. This is like that one with where the boy cries wolf, and the second time, the people still believe him because Huh, and then the third time they still believe him because Huh. That was a good fable.
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:00 PM

Also, this better be the last time in the history of the world that someone pulls out the DAOC card and says "yeah man, we have {X number of people from DAOC here where X >=1} therefore, we totally GET PvP and our MMO will totally blow you the fuck away, HYPE BABY."

Yeah, it's not like we heard that twice already, once with the actual Mythic team itself. And the second time around with the hollowed out shell of the Mythic team. This is like that one with where the boy cries wolf, and the second time, the people still believe him because Huh, and then the third time they still believe him because Huh. That was a good fable.

I can't agree with you more, Fiery.  I'm willing to listen to it 1 more time cause Matt Firor had nothing to do with those other games, and he's basically the last guy from the original team to not be involved with a piece of shit. (yet)
FieryBalrog
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 09:28:31 PM

WAR is what made me the MMO cynic I am now. I haven't seen any reason to change so far. Guild Wars 2 better give me a blowjob when it launches and I might turn around.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:21 PM

Apparently there is "no aggro mechanics", which I guess means that mobs just attack whoever the fuck they want, which sounds pretty good to me. Personally I'm really tired of the artificiality and predictable of "big dude taunts enemies who refuse to attack anyone else ever." But the rest of it sounds bog standard and almost nothing like Elder Scrolls. Sounds very much like a "standard" MMO first and an Elder Scrolls game second.

And given that the "lore" of Elder Scrolls is basically worthless without the mechanics taking the lore while leaving the mechanics sounds like a bad idea.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 03, 2012, 10:06:01 PM

I know none of you really know me all that well, but I am generally a very optimistic person. I was pumped for stuff like Champions, WAR, Age of Conan, Star Trek Online and even FFXIV before I played the beta and went "oh fuck no" alongside everybody else. I'm generally pretty good at latching onto glimmers of hope and thinking "well, this could still work if they..." when my fourteen years of MMOing should have sent me packing and long after every other skeptic had long since written the games in question off. That's not to say I'll just buy any old thing, though. I know a stinker when I see one, even if it's after everyone else and a week before launch.

I love Elder Scrolls and have been an avid (and sometimes rabid) fan since Daggerfall; I even sunk over 200 hours into Oblivion despite liking next to none of it, solely because it still had that Civilization-like hook to it that just gets me. I love MMOs, diku and non-diku alike. I loved DAoC; it's probably my third favorite MMO of the couple dozen I've played. I even still enjoy PvP, though less than I used to.

Yet there is nothing - nothing whatsoever - about anything I've seen or read or heard about this game that even begins to interest me. I am about as perfect of an example of their target audience as it gets yet it misses the mark on what I would enjoy seeing out of a multiplayer Elder Scrolls by such a wide margin that they may as well have been aiming for Andromeda.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #64 on: May 03, 2012, 11:54:11 PM

-There will be no player housing
What the....? So where am I supposed to store all my god damn cheeses?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 04, 2012, 12:30:11 AM

Apparently there is "no aggro mechanics", which I guess means that mobs just attack whoever the fuck they want, which sounds pretty good to me. Personally I'm really tired of the artificiality and predictable of "big dude taunts enemies who refuse to attack anyone else ever."

If there is combat in the game there will be an aggro mechanic. If it is pick target randomly then there is no possibility of tactics and role specialisation which is viable but a step towards the zerg.

Though given an Elder Scrolls character is generally a heavily armored, high hit point wizard / warrior / priest / archer / rogue maybe it does make sense to just ignore any sort of party mechanic.

- Simond
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:24 AM

If there is combat in the game there will be an aggro mechanic. If it is pick target randomly then there is no possibility of tactics and role specialisation which is viable but a step towards the zerg.

Real life combat features plenty of tactics and role specialization despite the fact that tanks don't have special taunt abilities that enrage other tanks and blind them to other targets.

Here's a tactic: if an enemy is running over to kill you wizard trip him.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: May 04, 2012, 12:45:56 AM

So constantly be immobilizing and stunning them when they go for a soft target since you can't actually change their focus? That sounds much more fun and would certainly segue naturally into PvP.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:49:20 AM by Kageru »

- Simond
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #68 on: May 04, 2012, 01:06:13 AM

My wife works there, the guys in charge of the realm vs realm design are the same guys who were responsible for DAoC.

Is that a recommendation or a warning?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #69 on: May 04, 2012, 03:47:49 AM

I know none of you really know me all that well, but I am generally a very optimistic person. I was pumped for stuff like Champions, WAR, Age of Conan, Star Trek Online and even FFXIV before I played the beta and went "oh fuck no" alongside everybody else. I'm generally pretty good at latching onto glimmers of hope and thinking "well, this could still work if they..." when my fourteen years of MMOing should have sent me packing and long after every other skeptic had long since written the games in question off. That's not to say I'll just buy any old thing, though. I know a stinker when I see one, even if it's after everyone else and a week before launch.

I love Elder Scrolls and have been an avid (and sometimes rabid) fan since Daggerfall; I even sunk over 200 hours into Oblivion despite liking next to none of it, solely because it still had that Civilization-like hook to it that just gets me. I love MMOs, diku and non-diku alike. I loved DAoC; it's probably my third favorite MMO of the couple dozen I've played. I even still enjoy PvP, though less than I used to.

Yet there is nothing - nothing whatsoever - about anything I've seen or read or heard about this game that even begins to interest me. I am about as perfect of an example of their target audience as it gets yet it misses the mark on what I would enjoy seeing out of a multiplayer Elder Scrolls by such a wide margin that they may as well have been aiming for Andromeda.
To be fair, while I don't play them most of my friends/colleagues who play MMOs thought Age of Conan and Star Trek were pretty good games that could stand on their own after they got some judicious patching. It's too bad that first impressions are everything with MMOs and only WoW has really gotten it right for some reason.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: