Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Classes & Mechanics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classes & Mechanics  (Read 2911 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: September 14, 2008, 01:09:24 AM

I don't have much time to test all of the classes so if anyone knows more please share it in this thread. I messed around for 4 days on the open beta and came upon the following class mechanics:

Elven Swordsman: It's simple, there's an opener that will unlock a 2nd tier move followed with a finisher. Playing it till level 6, I saw a little bit of variety, it's not a bad offensive tank. As you advance up in levels you can pick the next tier move as situation needed such as Opener slash, followed the 2nd tier DoT or you can pick a slash that buffs your parry rate % followed by the finisher. You can't skip the steps, you can't open your attack with a DoT since it's exclusively 2nd tier or the high damaging finisher.

Human Wizard: Combustion mechanics that gives critical chance bonus+dmg as well as a chance to damage yourself while casting. Every spell you cast creates combustion% to yourself. There's a way to exploit it by keeping yourself at very high combustion level, you will actually crit 50% more often but risk killing yourself. Very blasty class. Oh, combustion will wear off when you stop casting or using the heatsink spell.

Shadow Warrior: Switching stances between long range attack, on-the-move shots or close combat. It's not a bad class, imagine WoW Hunter minus pet with switchable aspects that has distinct benefits and penalties. Switching to close combat stance will double your armour rating and increase your melee damage, quite a lot of difference from scouting stance.

warrior priest:Action Points are used primarily for attacks. Most of his heals are powered by 'Divine' energy that can only be generated by landing his offensive attacks. It also provides option to covert Action Point to Divine.

Chosen: I'm not very impressed with this class. Something like an anti-paladin. Chosen has enemy debuff + party buff aura in one. Staple attacks like Taunts, Hard slash, DoT, Snares. I played to lvl 9 before getting bored.

That's all I have right now.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:26:19 AM

Witch Hunters: Operate basically on the WoW rogue 'combo points->finisher' model, with some differences. Their melee weapon attacks are how they build 'Accusations' and their gunshots are their finishing moves. One nice thing is the accusations are not limited to one target - if I'm killing something and it dies while I only have 3 accusations, I get to keep those when I move on to my next target. They go away eventually if I don't fight for a while. Stealth is very limited and much weaker than in other games - it is on a long cooldown, has a max duration, and eats your action points while you're in it. On the plus side, there are some pretty powerful opening attacks that require you to be stealthed to use.

I am led to believe that Witch Elves are basically the same.

Rune Priest: No special AP/resource mechanic. You have a lot of heals to pick from - at level 11, I had: instant small heal (no cooldown!), heal+HoT (1 sec cast, works like regrowth in WoW), a big slow heal that has a lot of setback if you get hit (3 sec cast), a HoT (no cooldown), and an instant shield with a heal bloom at the end - kind of a combination of lifebloom and the priest shield in WoW. That one is on a 20 sec cooldown. You can frankly do a lot of healing on the run, it plays a little like a resto druid in WoW in that way. Buff mechanic, you cast Oath Runes, they can only go on your party members, and nobody can have more than one, even from multiple RPs. That part kinda sucks, but the buffs seem pretty powerful. Best one for RVR that I have so far is a +resistance buff. Attacks are fairly weak, but enough to let you win fights easily against solo tanks. :) There's a castable nuke, an instant DoT (no cooldown), and an instant nuke (5 sec cooldown.) I tend to use mostly instants and the Heal/HoT.

Supposedly Zealots are very similar.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 01:42:04 AM

Witch Hunters are also very, very big on parry / disarm, and it's extremely hot for PvP.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 01:50:38 AM by Falwell »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:06:42 PM

Ironbreaker: Grudges basically build like rage does in WoW, although you don't get any for hitting people. After you designate someone as your oathfriend, it will also build when THEY get attacked. Also, only some moves use grudge instead of action points, rather than everything eating rage or whatever. The more grudges you have, the harder you hit (sort of like brutes in CoV), which is pretty nice if people are trying to kill off your oathfriend and ignoring you. Runepriest + ironbreaker = lawl.

The only thing that really sucks is if people are ignoring you and also ignoring whoever your oathfriend is, you can get starved on grudges that way. However, it's really easy to switch who your oathfriend actually is, so that's a way to deal with that problem.

Archmage: I believe shamans have a similar mechanic to them, it basically works where as you nuke, you build up points on the "heal" side (it's a yin yang graphic for archmages, yin is nuke and yang is heal), and the higher that number is (up to five), the faster/bigger a "heal" spell is. As you heal, you build the nuke points. Thing is, it only works for the next cast, then sets back to zero (so if I nuke five times, only the first heal I cast afterwards is affected). They had some nifty spells, like a DoT that heals your defensive target for as much damage as the DoT ticks for and a channeled spell that eats AP but does a crapton of damage. Also has your standard heal/HoTs. Only buff I got (I only hit level 8) was a nice group resist buff.

God Save the Horn Players
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:46:38 PM

Dug up more info on Chosen to make it sound more appealing, it is apparently possible to stack two auras at once for a limited time, hence some people termed it as 'EQ twisting' Think of the WoW Pally aura except when you switch, there is a 'lingering' previous effect for 12 seconds followed by the 'current aura'. Now this makes Chosen a more interesting class in terms of situations.
Example:
During a stand off while enemies are exchanging fire with spells and arrows, it's best to keep a resistance/toughness(MagDef/PhysDef) aura up to protect yourself and the squishies. Keep in mind while buffing that stat, the aura actively debuffs the enemies at the same time its effects are active.
But after the stand off there is the 'melees charge in phase', this is when you decide which aura to switch before you land the first hit. Combining Toughness & Strength is probably a good move, since you lower their Toughness for 12 secs while under the effects of a much buffed Strength aura. Should you feel there is a need to 'refresh' the other debuff, you can switch back and forth between them for maximum effect. It costs action points at early level but late game Tactics can lower the cost to 0. Pretty cool.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 08:05:59 PM

Twisting is such a shitty mechanic, I don't know why Mythic keeps using it.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:49:09 PM

Discipline of Kaine: melee based healer, can either dual wield or use one sword and a "chalice".  Your heals are powered of your melee attacks so you have no other choice but to be in the thick of things.  You can spec either for melee damage, better heals or as debuffer/utility.  I found the melee spec is the best since several of your best heals are straight up "heal your group for 25% of your damage" or  "heal your target for 300% of your damage" which means even using the 25% more dmg for -20% healing power you end up ahead in both healing and damage.  At the levels i played i felt pretty powerful, being able to do almost as much damage as the dps classes while healing almost as good as the healers.  It wasn't rare for me to top both meters at level 11 before graduating to tier 2.  PQs were a breeze since being able to heal dps and actually tank if needed meant your contribution levels were through the roof.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Classes & Mechanics  
Jump to: