Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624516 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:48 AM

Well, we've already been around the block on this, but about half of Tom Baker's run is pretty crap, when his performance started to run away with the show and JNT started driving everything else into the ground.

Tennant's first season I'd agree had pound-for-pound the highest quality of individual episodes. I wasn't overwhelmed by The Idiot's Lantern, I thought Impossible Planet/Satan Pit should probably have been a single episode, Fear Her is pretty crap, and the Rose Tyler-loves-the-Doctor companion plot got a bit irritating at times.

I'm just not seeing how Moffat nuWho is so dramatically different from this that it warrants viewing it as utter worthless crap or whatever invective in that ballpark seems necessary.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #946 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:15 PM

Stories which are logically inconsistent even within the silly structure of the Doctor Who universe. Stories whose resolutions MAKE NO GODDAMN SENSE or use some kind of Deus Ex Machina to get the Doctor out of an impossible situation (crack in time wiping out the weeping angels is a good example of that).

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #947 on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:19 PM

The Who universe isn't quite as shoddy in world-building terms as Star Trek in its many incarnations, but it's pretty close. Just sticking with old Who and leaving out Paul McGann, there's a shitfuck of stuff that doesn't add up at all and about a zillion and one deus ex machina. RTD nuWho doesn't hold up too much better, what with the Daleks having escaped the inescapable Time War four or five times, the Time Lords once; the Reapers appearing just once in response to a paradox and never appearing again or being mentioned again; etc.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:55 PM

Facepalm

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:25 AM

Hey, I understand nerd rage when you feel you have a clearly better idea about what to do with a particular universe, character or show that has a lot of potential. There is a totally better set of Star Wars prequels I have in my mind, and I know exactly what should have happened in the Matrix sequel and I am totally willing to bore the shit out of someone unwise enough to set me off about either. And with Who, if John Nathan Turner were still alive today, I'd be perfectly happy if the Iranian clergy declared a fatwa against him; Matthew Jacobs should be kicked in the nuts for the script to the McGann Who movie . I'm really just not seeing it with Moffat's Who. There's stuff I don't like (both characterization and plotting), stuff I like a lot, and stuff I'm indifferent to. Doesn't trigger nerdragery in me at all, though.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: September 08, 2011, 11:05:46 AM

We've done this.  Countless times.  We've pointed out what's wrong with Moffat.  It's abundantly clear.  It's nothing to DO with Canon or the series, or the authenticity either.  It now transcends that.

It's about almost every single episode having no logical consistency whatsoever and always involves 'magic fairy dust' to make everything right.

Moffat has, on every occasion, stated categorically that he writes Dr Who as a Fairy Tale.

This is fundamentally wrong on every level.

You don't mind it.  That's fine.  I do.  That's also fine.  You watch it.  That's cool.  I don't.  That's fine.

Let's not do this shit ever again please.  It's really silly watching you fail to grasp it every time.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #951 on: September 08, 2011, 11:57:09 AM

Moffat has, on every occasion, stated categorically that he writes Dr Who as a Fairy Tale.

Agree with everything you've said. 

For me, it's less fairy tale and more broadway musical or pantomine.  All the over-the-top faces, screaming, plot twists involving gender/family/relationships.  Pretty stock musical hall stuff.   And awful.  Just awful.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: September 08, 2011, 12:25:35 PM

Also, he's a very bad leader.  It is a FACT that the series is over budget, has fired people and can't even get a series out on time under his leadership.

The Christmas episode this year will be available in Easter, unless they shovel more money in.

He's just not good for the show.  Sorry.  Them's the facts.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: September 08, 2011, 01:17:54 PM

What I don't grasp is why you continue to follow the minute behind-the-scenes details and actual episodes of a series that apparently makes you feel like you're passing a kidney stone. It's like watching a medieval pilgrim climb stone steps on his knees while beating himself bloody with a cat-o-nine tails.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: September 08, 2011, 01:21:15 PM

Um, I don't.  I live in the UK, have a certain group of friends and work in geekery.  You can't really avoid it.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: September 08, 2011, 04:19:10 PM

I am a serious geek, hang with and read geek sites, but honestly I can avoid the details of shows that I actively disdain and think are beyond salvation. Now mind you I'm feeling really pissed about DC Comics, so there are motes in my eyes, but even there I try pretty hard to be clear about what's good and appreciating it as such.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: September 09, 2011, 07:40:21 AM

I think you underestimate the unique position Doctor Who holds in Britain. Almost everyone below and above a certain age grew up with it, so everyone has an opinion. Its not one of many interchangeable products like the US geeky thing of the day.

Or so I'm told, maybe they lied to me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:41:58 AM by Tebonas »
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: September 09, 2011, 08:23:29 AM

That makes sense. I can't think of any American television shows aside from a few afternoon soap operas that are old enough that their audience actually spans generations.  I wonder though. Is the current show that so offends Ironwood a result of evolution or is it just an aberration that might be fixed next time they get a new showrunner?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: September 09, 2011, 08:26:48 AM

Well, I'd say an it might get fixed, but this is kinda the route that Colin Bakers Dr went down.

That stopped it getting made for quite some time.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: September 10, 2011, 02:57:33 PM

Going from general meta-series commentary to individual episodes, today's really went to show that when you stop trying to make fucking EPIC moments solves with fairy dust and plot twists the characters and actors can carry the show wonderfully. This one was definitely worth watching.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: September 11, 2011, 06:56:59 PM

Makeup on Amy was amazing. Clearly a much bigger budget in general for this episode, but the makeup/prosthetics work really needs to be given huge kudos.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: September 11, 2011, 10:52:29 PM

With all the bad stuff happening under Moffat, the charaterisations are usually spot on. Episodes that play that into the foreground are really fun to watch. So was this one.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #962 on: September 18, 2011, 07:01:17 PM

God Complex:

ok, a bit dull and predictable, but I do like the setup that the

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #963 on: September 18, 2011, 11:11:37 PM

What the fuck was the Doctor droning on about?

Rose Tyler - alive (in a parallel diimension, but still)
Jack Harkness - alive (and immortal to boot)
Mickey Smith - alive (and happy with Martha)
Martha Jones - alive (and happy with Mickey)
Donna Noble - alive (and not remembering a thing, but shes still not worse off than before)

He makes it sound like all his companions drop dead left and right when they travel with him. Of course, they tend to get a taste of the adventurous life and usually won't settle down in a suburb with children. But I think the writers mistook the Doctor for Jack Harkness for a moment there, the man who REALLY kills everybody he works with sooner or later.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: September 19, 2011, 09:30:34 AM

I think the thing they're really referencing is not the companions but the redshirt count. And that's pretty fair not just for nuWho but old Who. Think of every base defense episode across seven Doctors--half the people involved or more end up dead, many of them after the Doctor has joined the defense. Sometimes because of stuff the Doctor does. In a few cases because he pretty much relies on them to sacrifice themselves. Rita is really who the Doctor is talking about--he saves his companions but he has the blood of lots and lots and lots of Ritas on his hands from his perspective, because he believes he ought to be able to save them. It's why he gets so angry or disgusted even in old Who when someone dies who shouldn't have died, the way he sees it. That's the "god complex"--his enduring feeling that he should be able to save people who he doesn't want to die. nuWho hit this theme hard and really well in "The Doctor Dances". You could argue that the Doctor shouldn't feel so bad because he saves lots of people he's never met or sees from all sorts of evil--but the Doctor seems to care more about the people he gets to know than about the big abstract "good" he may be doing.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:32 AM

By the way, anybody who knows the old show who wants a big big big spoiler might take a gander at the IMDB credits for the final episode of this season. If you saw a resemblance between a key scene in "The God Complex" and an old Who episode scene between the Doctor and a companion, you should give yourself a big nerd point.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: September 19, 2011, 11:45:01 AM

By the way, anybody who knows the old show who wants a big big big spoiler might take a gander at the IMDB credits for the final episode of this season. If you saw a resemblance between a key scene in "The God Complex" and an old Who episode scene between the Doctor and a companion, you should give yourself a big nerd point.

Well one name does stand out in that list (possibly two, not sure about the second one though). As for a key scene, the only thing that crossed my mind was

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: September 19, 2011, 04:14:11 PM

Really do not read if you still care about this season.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: September 20, 2011, 02:57:41 AM

Really do not read if you still care about this season.

Damn I was not thinking of that scene. Good call. That is one of my favorite episodes too.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: September 20, 2011, 06:23:02 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: September 20, 2011, 01:20:18 PM

I've managed to find someone who dislikes Moffat more than Ironwood does: http://cashpeters.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/doctor-who-out-of-time-and-past-its-prime/

smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:42:27 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: September 20, 2011, 01:51:50 PM

Article had some excellent points and some that were simply not right.  (I loved Coupling for example.  It is, in fact, Genius.)

But it does capture my general feelings and, apparently, the feelings of a fair few.  Currently a big strumash over here about falling ratings.  It's getting kinda like McCoy all over again in the papers.  That seems telling to me.

But I didn't watch the last one and I doubt I'll bother anymore.  I'm 'over it' if you will.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: September 20, 2011, 06:25:37 PM

What a load of insufferable solipsistic twaddle.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #973 on: September 21, 2011, 12:10:19 AM

The Curse of Fenric....woooo   $25 really poorly spent...  why so serious?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:03 AM

I thought it was one of the few good McCoy episodes. Gave you a sense of what he might have done with the role if there had been a better producer and more support from BBC.

Further on that spoiler, the picture of a chess-playing Norse/Viking from the ComicCon trailer that everyone is looking at again...has an eyepatch. Identical to Kovarian's, in fact.
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #975 on: September 21, 2011, 06:01:29 PM

I've managed to find someone who dislikes Moffat more than Ironwood does: http://cashpeters.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/doctor-who-out-of-time-and-past-its-prime/

smiley

Dude needs therapy. Plus he hated 'Coupling'. I dislike him and pity him both.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:06:50 PM by adjunct »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: September 21, 2011, 07:01:58 PM

I like the new Sherlock also. Quite a bit. I assume that people who think Moffat is a baby-raper who makes George Lucas look like Jesus don't care for that either?
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: September 21, 2011, 08:30:31 PM

I like the new Sherlock also. Quite a bit. I assume that people who think Moffat is a baby-raper who makes George Lucas look like Jesus don't care for that either?

I enjoyed the first series and am looking forward to the next.

Someones at CBS seemed to enjoy it as well.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: September 21, 2011, 11:59:42 PM

Sherlock is

A - Mostly Gatiss.

And

B - A fucking rewrite of the Sherlock Holmes Stories.

Stop reaching so hard.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: September 22, 2011, 03:22:38 AM

It's not really the stories that make it work, though.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: