Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624476 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #735 on: April 25, 2011, 12:09:37 PM

I liked a lot of the Eccleston season, and most of the Rose, Martha and Donna episodes of Tennant's run. The end of the Tennant run, specifically Waters of Mars and the End of Time is where it all went pear-shaped for me.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: April 25, 2011, 01:42:24 PM

Waters of Mars was a really, really, really good episode up until the last ten minutes 'I Am God' shite.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #737 on: April 25, 2011, 01:54:14 PM

I don't know, Waters always felt overlong to me, like most of the story was him whinging about how he can't change things while not much really happened at all.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: April 25, 2011, 03:19:25 PM

Fair enough.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: April 25, 2011, 04:08:44 PM

I thought it was a solid, balanced episode. Hated River smugsmirking, but as soon as she refered to Silence in the Library, I liked her again. I love it when the Doctor's companions (Amy and Rory in this case) act like time travellers. Hated them referring to America as the most powerful country in the world. I haaaaate it when Brits look up to the USA anyway. It makes me feel like this is a nation of dirty lying whores. (Oh wait, lololololol.)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:06 AM

The understanding that the Beeb is selling this to an American market heavily should explain much to you.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #741 on: April 26, 2011, 06:33:01 AM

I liked it. The way the new guy was written was nice. Nice little twist with the forgetting the aliens bit, got a chuckle out of me each time though by the time they got to Rory it was maybe one trip to the well too many.

Are full HD episodes available online anywhere (legal)? One of the shows I'm going to miss when cable goes dark this weekend.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #742 on: April 26, 2011, 06:43:04 AM

I liked a lot of the Eccleston season, and most of the Rose, Martha and Donna episodes of Tennant's run. The end of the Tennant run, specifically Waters of Mars and the End of Time is where it all went pear-shaped for me.

See, I think the worst of this last season and the worst of those runs match up pretty well in terms of badness: say, Fear Her and last season's technicolor Daleks episode. I don't think that the Moffat-run stuff has yet generated something as bad as the Slitheen two-parter in Eccleston's season. I think the two-part conclusion of last season has a lot of the good and bad sides of Davies' season enders. But equally I can't see why really quite good episodes from last season like "The Lodger" or "Vincent and the Doctor" don't compare favorably to the best of Eccleston and Tennant's runs. And there were also quite decent if not spectacular episodes last season like "The Vampires of Venice".
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: April 26, 2011, 08:07:31 AM

We are on season six now, so I am assuming discussion of seasons two and three is no longer considered a spoiler.

Previous seasons had their faults but they generally had a good mixture of standout episodes and a strong overall arc.

For example, Rose and the Doctor's doomed love story in season two was a strong tale.

The return of the Master in season three was nicely foreshadowed before he appeared, and the Master himself, as played by John Simm, was a great character.

The last season was apparently meant to have an arc as well, but it didn't make sense. I thought the story of Amy and Rory's relationship worked well, but the main plotline - cracks in the wall, River Song, Tardis exploding - was just a jumble. Maybe that's partly because the story was designed to last more than one season.

As for the quality of individual episodes, I think everyone pretty much agrees that previous seasons had some standout episodes and some that were just bad, and last year's followed that pattern. People certainly bitched at the lousy episodes in previous seasons, and they raved about Vincent and the Doctor last year.

As for the first episode of season six, I agree with Ironwood that it makes sense to wait for part two, but I thought the monster oh my god it's opening its mouth like in that painting by munch was nice and sinister.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:13:46 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #744 on: April 26, 2011, 08:17:08 AM

The Silence (I'll call them Munchmen) is/are potentially scary as shit. That said, the wait-and-see attitude everyone is taking is warranted. The problem with last season was simply that they got overzealous in their arc planning and ran out of money. The Gaiman episode was supposed to be last season, but they went with the Lodger instead because they'd blown their budget.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #745 on: April 26, 2011, 08:31:04 AM

But equally I can't see why really quite good episodes from last season like "The Lodger" or "Vincent and the Doctor" don't compare favorably to the best of Eccleston and Tennant's runs. And there were also quite decent if not spectacular episodes last season like "The Vampires of Venice".

I thought the Vampires of Venice episode sucked monkey ass, especially the killing a flying fish vampire thing by drying it out with a fucking mirror. God, that was shit. The reason you don't see The Lodger or Vincent and the Doctor compared with the best of Tennant's run is because NEITHER STORY WAS ABOUT THE DOCTOR. He was almost superfluous to the fucking story. You could have inserted any mysterious stranger who knows things in those stories and they would have worked. Moffat's idea that the Doctor is one long fairy tale is misguided - he appears to dismiss science fiction because the science parts are too hard or something. That's why you see such shit as that over elaborate season finale from last year. Even the fucking resolution was a copout - Amy can remember me back into existence! HURRAY! LET'S HAVE FISH FINGERS AND CUSTARD.

Doctor Who is not a fairy tale.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: April 26, 2011, 09:03:42 AM

It is until they get rid of that useless hack.

Get used to it.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:30 AM

But equally I can't see why really quite good episodes from last season like "The Lodger" or "Vincent and the Doctor" don't compare favorably to the best of Eccleston and Tennant's runs. And there were also quite decent if not spectacular episodes last season like "The Vampires of Venice".

I thought the Vampires of Venice episode sucked monkey ass, especially the killing a flying fish vampire thing by drying it out with a fucking mirror. God, that was shit. The reason you don't see The Lodger or Vincent and the Doctor compared with the best of Tennant's run is because NEITHER STORY WAS ABOUT THE DOCTOR. He was almost superfluous to the fucking story. You could have inserted any mysterious stranger who knows things in those stories and they would have worked. Moffat's idea that the Doctor is one long fairy tale is misguided - he appears to dismiss science fiction because the science parts are too hard or something. That's why you see such shit as that over elaborate season finale from last year. Even the fucking resolution was a copout - Amy can remember me back into existence! HURRAY! LET'S HAVE FISH FINGERS AND CUSTARD.

Doctor Who is not a fairy tale.

Doctor Who is not hard SF either. It NEVER has been. Not once. Not a single episode, even leaving aside that the protagonist is an immortal Time Lord flying around space and time in a machine that is science fantasy at its essence. Thankfully, it's never quite gone as technobabbly as STNG at its worst, but seriously: "the science parts are too hard" as a problem that Moffat has and other Doctor Who show-runners and writers have not? I don't know what you've been watching, mate, but it's not Doctor Who. And being wished back into existence is different than being wished back from being a shriveled elf-thing in a cage by all of humanity shouting your name at the same time, or sucking Daleks and Cybermen into a magic void with a magic machine or having your companion possessed by a literal deus ex machina from the magic time machine and destroying all the Daleks? I'm not seeing the distinction here on the level of non-copout-ery, just on the level of execution of the cop-outs.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #748 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49:16 AM

Execution matters a fuckload.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: April 26, 2011, 01:50:56 PM

And being wished back into existence is different than being wished back from being a shriveled elf-thing in a cage by all of humanity shouting your name at the same time, or sucking Daleks and Cybermen into a magic void with a magic machine or having your companion possessed by a literal deus ex machina from the magic time machine and destroying all the Daleks? I'm not seeing the distinction here on the level of non-copout-ery, just on the level of execution of the cop-outs.

Are you under the impression that no-one complained about that exact shit when it was done by RTD ?

Because I seem to remember that happening.  His Davros Series-ender was just as bad as the Magic Doctor in a Box, while we're pointing out the self-serving shite.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: April 26, 2011, 05:14:33 PM

I remember the complaints. But then they heighten my question: what's the gold standard? What are you guys remembering that is non-Davies, non-Moffat that gets your tits a-quivering with its pure unalloyed goodness?

My tits have a lower quiver-standard, I guess.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: April 26, 2011, 05:22:45 PM

When has Doctor Who ever been so awesome?  It's always been seasons of good and bad.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:18 AM

The understanding that the Beeb is selling this to an American market heavily should explain much to you.

It indeed does. Now the slurping noises that could be heard throughout the episode are a riddle to me no longer.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #753 on: April 27, 2011, 08:43:42 AM

I remember the complaints. But then they heighten my question: what's the gold standard? What are you guys remembering that is non-Davies, non-Moffat that gets your tits a-quivering with its pure unalloyed goodness?

Much of the Tom Baker run, provided you overlook the effects (which were after all part of the fun), and really a lot of what went before Colin Baker.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:08 AM

I love me some Tom Baker too, but apply the same standards to his episodes and a lot of them aren't going to hold up very well either, ignoring the different pacing of the story structure then. There was no arc at all in his early episodes; the Key to Time was hugely uneven, had a WTF conclusion and the Black Guardian was a totally clownshoes villain.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: April 27, 2011, 09:36:37 AM

Before that? It was all carboard box robots and monster suits made out of old carpets, filmed in black and white, with really shit audio, shown on late night PBS.

[/american view of Dr. Who]  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: April 27, 2011, 11:21:48 AM

We both liked the new episode and neither of us was particularly a fan of last season. I would strongly agree that the episodes weren't bad, but the arc was muddled. I didn't know it was supposed to last longer, but that makes perfect sense.

And are you sure it was the episodes that were in B/W and not your tv? I thought Baker was the first doctor broadcast in the US.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: April 27, 2011, 11:55:01 AM

We both liked the new episode and neither of us was particularly a fan of last season. I would strongly agree that the episodes weren't bad, but the arc was muddled. I didn't know it was supposed to last longer, but that makes perfect sense.

And are you sure it was the episodes that were in B/W and not your tv? I thought Baker was the first doctor broadcast in the US.

For a long time, I never quite knew what exactly Dr. Who was. A brit show about a time traveling dude. Occasionally I'd see an episode on PBS, and it would be in black and white, and have atrocious audio, so I couldn't follow the story well.

Now that the show has revived, I've actually sought out some of the older stuff, out of curiosity.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: April 27, 2011, 04:19:42 PM

The last season of Pertwee was broadcast on some US PBS stations.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: April 28, 2011, 06:27:23 AM

Pertwee's in color. Vivid color. Very Austin Powers. (No, I'm not that big of a geek, out of nostalgia we rented Time Warrior the first appearance of Sarah Jane and were watching it last night.)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: April 29, 2011, 03:25:54 PM

I don't have words.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: April 30, 2011, 10:42:01 AM

Oh For Fucks Sake.

Edit :

Plot holes as big as a bus (AGAIN) and the story makes no sense whatsoever once you think about it.  However, a much better second episode than first and as long as you can get over the fact that the story is utterly impossible, it's actually rather ok.  However :  The last Two Minutes FUCKS IT ALL.

SERIOUSLY, LEAVE IT ALONE YOU BASTARDS.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:47:31 AM by Ironwood »

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: April 30, 2011, 10:54:45 AM

So you don't like series-long story arcs, then?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: April 30, 2011, 10:59:20 AM

I don't mind them if they're any good.

But we've had a few now that have been utterly predictable wank purely for fan shock value and, hey, Look At That !!

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21:23 PM

Honestly I felt the episode worked more or less. Yes there were ridiculous plot holes but I liked the means of resolution purely because it wasn't utterly ridiculous.

One question:
One main complaint:

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: April 30, 2011, 01:33:48 PM

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: April 30, 2011, 01:35:31 PM

Well fuck,

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #767 on: April 30, 2011, 07:46:39 PM

I liked it. I'm hearing that it'll all sort out at the end. If it doesn't, I'm going back to Wales and beating the living shit out of Moffat.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
adjunct
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: April 30, 2011, 09:16:31 PM

I liked it. I'm hearing that it'll all sort out at the end. If it doesn't, I'm going back to Wales and beating the living shit out of Moffat.

He isn't alone in it. He has plenty of enablers.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #769 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:17 PM

I think they need to rename this show The New Adventures of Amy Pond.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: