Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624381 times)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: May 16, 2010, 02:04:54 PM

Point by point: If the Doctor just caught the Angels looking at each other again, THAT would have been lazy. That would have been copying and pasting something and saying "Oh, that was awesome when we did it that one time, wasn't it? Yeah we'll do it again!"

Angels falling into the crack at the last second. Yeah. That was good because the Doctor didn't have a secret plan all along, and was honestly worried and a little bit scared and frustrated, then at the last second figured something out. He doesn't always have things figured out years in advance. Because that's lazy too. "Oh I know we're caught in a tight spot but unbeknownst to you all, for the past few hours I've been slowly building a device that when I press the button, we win."

And before anyone says it, NO THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED HERE. What happened here was they brilliantly set up the gravity thing early on, then the Doctor got flustered (WHICH IF HE DIDN'T THEN HE WOULD BE A BORING CHARACTER EVERYBODY GETS FRUSTRATED SOMETIMES AND NO HE CAN'T BE ALL COOL AND CALM ALL THE TIME), then caught up when the situation presented itself in the natural course of events. The angels sealed their own fate, but only because the Doctor was smart enough to notice it when it mattered.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: May 16, 2010, 02:14:34 PM

Wow. Part 2 of the weeping angels was one of the most awesome brilliant things I've seen on TV in a long time, and those who don't like it are clearly the retarded children of Sarah Palin's retarded children's incestuous pairing. No, worse than that. Whatever's worse than that. Every square inch of that episode was distilled goodness.

Fuck me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: May 16, 2010, 02:15:05 PM

Point by point: If the Doctor just caught the Angels looking at each other again, THAT would have been lazy. That would have been copying and pasting something and saying "Oh, that was awesome when we did it that one time, wasn't it? Yeah we'll do it again!"

Angels falling into the crack at the last second. Yeah. That was good because the Doctor didn't have a secret plan all along, and was honestly worried and a little bit scared and frustrated, then at the last second figured something out. He doesn't always have things figured out years in advance. Because that's lazy too. "Oh I know we're caught in a tight spot but unbeknownst to you all, for the past few hours I've been slowly building a device that when I press the button, we win."

And before anyone says it, NO THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED HERE. What happened here was they brilliantly set up the gravity thing early on, then the Doctor got flustered (WHICH IF HE DIDN'T THEN HE WOULD BE A BORING CHARACTER EVERYBODY GETS FRUSTRATED SOMETIMES AND NO HE CAN'T BE ALL COOL AND CALM ALL THE TIME), then caught up when the situation presented itself in the natural course of events. The angels sealed their own fate, but only because the Doctor was smart enough to notice it when it mattered.

Double Fuck Me.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: May 16, 2010, 02:15:26 PM

I thought the Dream Lord one was actually good.  I enjoyed it.

Silurians up next.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #459 on: May 16, 2010, 02:24:43 PM

I thought the Dream Lord one was actually good.  I enjoyed it.

Me too.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #460 on: May 17, 2010, 09:32:05 AM

No, the second part of the Weeping Angels thing was really not good. It didn't suck all manner of cock, but it certainly didn't pay off the brilliance of the first episode. I think I've figured out what I don't like about the writing this year. It's way too frenetic. It's trying way too hard to set up tension but it never gives the audience a moment to breathe. This version of the Doctor is too scatterebrained, too fast-talking but he doesn't ever really seem to say much worth listening to.

The whole rift deux ex machina being used to save the day bothered me. They really have been smashing us over the head with this rift thing all season, and I have a huge fear that it'll end up being another bad Master story like End of Time.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #461 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:27 AM

The writing is frenetic. And stupidly so.

It's as if they're trying to look back at the Tennant and Eccleston years and say, "See? We can cover all of that stuff with the new Doctor as well!" Slow the fuck down.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: May 17, 2010, 09:38:03 AM

Amy's Choice was an episode that did actually give us a chance to breathe. Like I said the first few episodes have really been too concerned with being a spectacle and awesome and so forth. Hopefully the writers have settled down some now and no longer feel the need that everything needs to be big and amazing that they seemed to have at first. The last two have been more sanely paced and less, desperate to impress, I guess?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #463 on: May 18, 2010, 02:38:35 PM

It was no stunner, but I was able to enjoy Amy's Choice without any groaning, decent stuff, middle of the road, but good enough for me.

next week's preview made me think of Frontios.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: May 18, 2010, 07:40:55 PM

"I'm the Doctor!"

*Runs over here.*

"Trust me!"

*Runs over there."

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: May 18, 2010, 10:42:19 PM

So, the Doctor dreams of the Valeyard? Liked it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #466 on: May 19, 2010, 02:25:28 AM

next week's preview made me think of Frontios.

Yeah, me too, but Frontios itself was pretty much Silurians all over again.

awesome, for real

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: May 22, 2010, 11:43:47 AM

Hmmm.

No. 

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #468 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:49 AM

Yeah, that was pretty bad. Reminded me of a RTD episode.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: May 22, 2010, 11:06:17 PM

I really don't understand WHY they would humanise the Silurians.

It doesn't make any sense.  This isn't Voyager, Goddammit.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: May 22, 2010, 11:07:43 PM

A solid meh to that one.  But

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #471 on: May 23, 2010, 03:05:53 PM

Vampires in Venice - meh. Don't mind Rory tagging along, but the stories really aren't written very well at all. Shame really, because I like Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, I just think they're being saddled with really mediocre writing.

For instance, why the fuck would the "vampires" chicks attacking the house IN THE DAYTIME back away from the ultraviolet light stick? THEY'RE ALREADY SUBJECT TO STRONGER UV LIGHT BY THE FUCKING SUN! Then later, Rory is pinned by the son, and Amy pulls out, what was that, a COMPACT MIRROR and laser beams the thing to dust with a reflection? This despite the fact we've already determined these aren't mystical vampires but big space fish and so should take what hours, days to dust up from exposure to the sun's rays? Is there no one over there actually thinking about these stories?

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #472 on: May 23, 2010, 07:50:11 PM

Doctor Who vs. Murlocs.  awesome, for real

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: May 24, 2010, 01:37:25 AM

Vampires in Venice - meh. Don't mind Rory tagging along, but the stories really aren't written very well at all. Shame really, because I like Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, I just think they're being saddled with really mediocre writing.

For instance, why the fuck would the "vampires" chicks attacking the house IN THE DAYTIME back away from the ultraviolet light stick? THEY'RE ALREADY SUBJECT TO STRONGER UV LIGHT BY THE FUCKING SUN! Then later, Rory is pinned by the son, and Amy pulls out, what was that, a COMPACT MIRROR and laser beams the thing to dust with a reflection? This despite the fact we've already determined these aren't mystical vampires but big space fish and so should take what hours, days to dust up from exposure to the sun's rays? Is there no one over there actually thinking about these stories?

No.  It's becoming really clear to me that no-one is actually thinking about the writing at all.  Moffat's just letting everything through with a pat on the back.  It's silly.

I really like Matt Smith too.  I didn't think I was going to.  The fact that he's doing so well with such shitty stories is an even better accolade.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #474 on: May 24, 2010, 03:03:50 AM

...but there is red-head eye candy on. A story would only distract from that.  why so serious?

And ffs... stop with the tag along boyfriends already. Micky annoyed the shit outta me and this is playing out almost exactly the same. Doctor is amped, companion is excited, companion's other is terrified. bah...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: May 25, 2010, 04:59:39 AM

Eh, I think they're handling Rory better than Mickey by a fucking hundred miles. He's scared but not stupidly so and I don't think he's going to stay, "Oh God Monsters! Take me home!" comic relief. The Dream Lord episode was a way of ditching the Love Triangle crap and giving Rory a reason to stay. As much as I'm not really looking forward to the Silurian thing I'm at least hoping they'll use it to give Rory some actual development. Having the headstrong 'fearless' companion could be a good dynamic with a more sensible, down to earth boyfriend. Honestly I think the characters have shown more potential for good stuff (especially because I'm digging the actors) than any of the previous new seasons, it's just a real shame that they've gotten a really good dynamic envisioned and can't seem to write it.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: May 25, 2010, 05:06:20 AM

Yes.  Again, it's all about the writing.

Really.

IT'S NOT GOOD.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: May 25, 2010, 05:15:24 AM

Starting this season I thought Moffats writing would rock and I was wary about the New Doctor.

Imagine my suprise tha I now love the new Doctor and realized the writing sucks this season.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #478 on: May 26, 2010, 03:26:25 PM

Starting this season I thought Moffats writing would rock and I was wary about the New Doctor.

Imagine my suprise tha I now love the new Doctor and realized the writing sucks this season.

That is pretty much where I am at.  This is the first doctor that is younger than I am, and I thought it would just feel *wrong*.  But, I told myself, Moffat is at the helm  Love Letters, Mr. Blink, Mr. Silence in the Library, Mr. Dalek, the stories will be amazing and I will just have to get used to a soso Doctor.  Imagine my surprise.  I was rematching the Hungry Earth last night and was watching when he interrogated the female Silurian warrior, and for whatever reason that really hit home to me that Matt Smith is a bitchin actor and I hope he has a long and great career ahead of him.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #479 on: May 26, 2010, 03:36:27 PM

Didn't see this mentioned yet:

Neil Gaiman Doctor Who Episode

http://io9.com/5545926/neil-gaiman-delivers-his-doctor-who-episode

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: May 27, 2010, 01:28:16 AM

Goodness.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #481 on: May 27, 2010, 10:14:31 AM

A Neil Gaiman Dr Who episode?  I'll be in my bunk.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: May 27, 2010, 11:32:45 AM

See I wanted that to be my reaction but the writing has let me down so much so far that I'm now convinced it'll be the worst parts of all the individual writers that make it through and we'll get a truly bollocks episode that involves knights in armour fighting Daleks with an old woman in the background worried about getting home in time for tea.

Or at least something like that but bad.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: May 27, 2010, 03:57:38 PM

Then stop watching the bloody show and bugger off to the 'Steven Moffat pissed in my Wheaties' clubhouse with Ironwood, then!

So much misguided ire over the writing of a mid-afternoon/early evening weekend family show aimed at scaring 7 year olds into hiding behind the sofa.

The writing so far this season has been fine, certainly better episode-for-episode than any similar length stretch during RTD's preside. It's focussed on character building the relationship between a new Doctor and a new Companion and while I don't believe the overall narative has been as successful as Matt Smith's portrayal, it's still but a few episodes into Moffat's tenure and he's still responsible for every greatest moment in Dr Who since 2005.
There's been some off decisions so far, space whales, big gay Daleks and Silurians with human faces, but people post in this thread like they've personally had the writers come round to their house and slam their dicks in the toilet seat. What.

Incidentally, next weekend (June 5th) is an episode written by Richard Curtis (Blackadder), which I have some hopes for.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #484 on: May 28, 2010, 05:47:02 PM

Then stop watching the bloody show and bugger off to the 'Steven Moffat pissed in my Wheaties' clubhouse with Ironwood, then!

So much misguided ire over the writing of a mid-afternoon/early evening weekend family show aimed at scaring 7 year olds into hiding behind the sofa.

The writing so far this season has been fine, certainly better episode-for-episode than any similar length stretch during RTD's preside. It's focussed on character building the relationship between a new Doctor and a new Companion and while I don't believe the overall narative has been as successful as Matt Smith's portrayal, it's still but a few episodes into Moffat's tenure and he's still responsible for every greatest moment in Dr Who since 2005.
There's been some off decisions so far, space whales, big gay Daleks and Silurians with human faces, but people post in this thread like they've personally had the writers come round to their house and slam their dicks in the toilet seat. What.

Incidentally, next weekend (June 5th) is an episode written by Richard Curtis (Blackadder), which I have some hopes for.

he penned one of my favorite comic scenes with the first dictionary.   "I myself am a bit of slow reader as well"  I have high hopes for this.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29:39 PM

Hmmm... Well.... Now. I didn't hate the writing on this one but I am slightly sad. Touché writers.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #486 on: May 29, 2010, 10:46:39 PM

Hmmm... Well.... Now. I didn't hate the writing on this one but I am slightly sad. Touché writers.

damn man...

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: May 30, 2010, 03:42:07 AM

I'm betting
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: May 30, 2010, 03:43:12 AM

Answers on a postcard to the 'No Shit' contest.

The finale is looking mightily predictable.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: May 30, 2010, 11:38:12 AM

I love the way you could pretty much tell the point in the script where Moffat stepped in and told Chibnall to fuck off with his 3rd-Doctor-as-told-by-RTD pastiche because PLOT was happening.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: