Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 628141 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: April 19, 2010, 07:11:06 AM

First part is going to be an Aliens ripoff.

I fucking guarantee it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: April 19, 2010, 10:12:27 AM

Okay Ironwood.  I'm coming around to your mindset.  This season is not off to a good start, and not due to the actor.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:19 AM

I WANT TO BE WRONG.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: April 19, 2010, 11:52:32 AM

I want you to be wrong too, but this is not a promising start.  I'm not going to magically stop watching, but it's definitely gone down a peg, which is a sad state of affairs after the absolute tripe RTD was dishing up at the end of his run.  The first episode had such promise too.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:21 PM

Now I'm getting depressed, given that the first one seemed pretty good. But ok, new show runner, a few clunkers and misfires are allowed, eh? It would be worse if the casting or basic direction on how to play the character was off--Jesus Christ and Orson Wells working together couldn't have made Colin Baker anything but bad, for example.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: April 19, 2010, 01:31:31 PM

Heh.  What would the script for that have looked like ?

Nothing like Trial of a Timelord, methinks.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:33 AM

DALEKS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzxnHANU6oU

(Also, if you don't think Spitfires in space dogfighting a Dalek flying saucer is not  awesome, for real you should probably stop watching a family scifi show that airs at half six on Saturday evenings)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: April 21, 2010, 12:09:28 PM

I've basically only watched Tennant's run as far as Dr. Who is concerned, so maybe someone can answer some questions for me:

1. In one episode, the Doctor says he can't go back in time in his own timeline, but I've heard of shows where all the previous incarnations of the Doctor show up.
    I'm guessing it means same incarnation can't go back in time and meet himself or somesuch, but that sounds stupid.

2.  If there were a whole race of Time Lords, why is it that the Doctor only runs into more than one of them? (ok I think Patrick Stewart played one as well, but I didn't see that ep).
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: April 21, 2010, 12:34:36 PM

1. In one episode, the Doctor says he can't go back in time in his own timeline, but I've heard of shows where all the previous incarnations of the Doctor show up.
    I'm guessing it means same incarnation can't go back in time and meet himself or somesuch, but that sounds stupid.

2.  If there were a whole race of Time Lords, why is it that the Doctor only runs into more than one of them? (ok I think Patrick Stewart played one as well, but I didn't see that ep).

1. The Doctor breaks his own rules. Sometimes it turns out all right, but sometimes there are terrible consequences, usually in the form of big screaming monsters or...cracks in the wall HMMMMM!

2. The Doctor killed all his own people to kill the Daleks. That's why when he plays the "I'm The Doctor" card, other alien races run. Or he killed most of them. Or let them die/made them never exist in the first place. Or just time locked them all. They're pretty nebulous about the details, but he wiped them out of existence at any rate.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:42 PM

And just because, it came up when I was looking.

And I found a whole image history of them.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:54:45 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #360 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:26 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0562989/

I actually enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would, even with the paradox problems.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: April 21, 2010, 05:10:34 PM

2.  If there were a whole race of Time Lords, why is it that the Doctor only runs into more than one of them? (ok I think Patrick Stewart played one as well, but I didn't see that ep).

1. The Doctor breaks his own rules. Sometimes it turns out all right, but sometimes there are terrible consequences, usually in the form of big screaming monsters or...cracks in the wall HMMMMM!

2. The Doctor killed all his own people to kill the Daleks. That's why when he plays the "I'm The Doctor" card, other alien races run. Or he killed most of them. Or let them die/made them never exist in the first place. Or just time locked them all. They're pretty nebulous about the details, but he wiped them out of existence at any rate.

Or another way of looking at it is that the writers break the rules. The show doesn't always worry about internal logic or continuity. There are fans who try to make it all fit together but it's best just to not worry about it. It's not that surprising when you consider the show began in 1963 (and some of the basic concepts of today's show, like the fact that he is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey, had not been invented then).

Having said all that, when the Doctor meets previous incarnations it usually involves them being plucked out of their proper timeline by some great force such as the Time Lords so maybe that explains it in story terms.

On that topic, here's a video I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4knUJKUNbqI
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:18:37 PM by palmer_eldritch »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: April 21, 2010, 05:13:06 PM

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: April 21, 2010, 10:42:11 PM

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:17 PM

That doesn't count! Grr! That's not the real Doctor!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_%28Dalek_films%29

IT'S BEST JUST TO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: April 22, 2010, 08:05:16 PM

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: April 23, 2010, 12:58:10 AM

Yeah.

I'm shocked.

(Was it an older model.)

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:22 AM

Something about putting the Doctor into an Aliens rip off doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it'll be fun but if they're doing big budget stuff episodes like Water of Mars really seems a better inspiration. I think I enjoy light hearted survival horror sci-fi.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: April 23, 2010, 03:33:36 AM

Ach, it can work both ways.  There have been a hell of a lot of 'Aliens' stories in the past.  I just prefer 'The Thing' type stories.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: April 24, 2010, 11:11:36 AM

Judgement Deferred.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: April 24, 2010, 11:32:50 AM

Apart from cartoon Graham fucking Norton ruining the end, that was pretty good all the way through. Moffat needs to find some new gimmicks, though.

E: And I've seen more than one person post on other boards elsewhere that there's a bunch of kids terrified that an Angel is going to appear out of their telly and eat their brains. Which is as it should be. Doctor Who isn't really Doctor Who unless it's scaring the crap out of kids.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 03:00:45 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: April 24, 2010, 04:51:02 PM

Sorry to interrupt, I just came here to say that the new companion is *smokin* hot.

- Viin
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: April 24, 2010, 05:05:09 PM

Well, tonight's episode should certainly dampen the naysayers' ardour. I simply don't have a complaint (and if I did, it'd be the same one from Blink - I find the Angels much more sinister when they're passive faced, but that's the psychological response of an adult). An episode to showcase exactly why Moffat taking over is such a good thing.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #373 on: April 24, 2010, 10:10:27 PM

I am pleased, nice step up from the cheese of the last two.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: April 25, 2010, 12:02:31 AM

Yup, that episode was a big step back up from the last two.  We'll see how they actually end it.  My only complaint is that it really does feel like a rehash of the library episodes, but if this also means remembering that time travel can affect things asynchronously from the Doctor's point of view again, then I'm okay with it, for now.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: April 25, 2010, 05:29:06 AM

The bit with the video was genuinely creepy. It reminded me of some of the scenes in The Ring and Grudge. I really like the way Amy Pond is figuring stuff out rather than always being saved by the Doctor.

I've always found River Song annoying but that was actually a bonus in this episode because the Doctor seemed to find her annoying too, and it made for some funny moments. He's also asking probing questions and doesn't seem entirely to trust her.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #376 on: April 25, 2010, 06:12:07 AM

I had the misfortune of capturing one of these Doctor Who movies with my "everything Doctor Who" Tivo rule, and it was so bad. The writers (who were most likely experimenting with LSD given the content) re-imagined the Doctor as an eccentric human inventor who travels through time with his young granddaughter, so it should not be considered canon.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:10 AM

It reminded me of some of the scenes in The Ring and Grudge.

Really ?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: April 25, 2010, 07:12:59 AM

I guess it's possible Moffat has seen those films.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #379 on: April 25, 2010, 09:03:52 AM

The writers (who were most likely experimenting with LSD given the content) re-imagined the Doctor as an eccentric human inventor who travels through time with his young granddaughter, so it should not be considered canon.

According to Wikipedia, the movie fits into the canon as something the Doctor helped bring about to warn people about the Daleks without telling them too much about himself.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: April 25, 2010, 09:28:10 AM

Doesn't really matter, I am quite sure they didn't make new Daleks for that movie. The second link I posted is a visuial history of all the different versions for different productions.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: April 25, 2010, 09:35:21 AM

Liked this one. The second part could still screw it up, but this one I enjoyed.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #382 on: April 25, 2010, 02:45:09 PM

I'm still sick of every second line being "I am the Doctor and this is what I do, you don't mess with me!".

If you really were the Doctor, mate, you would be having internal struggles about who you are, not massaging your ego.

And it's STILL pantomime. Another "it's BEHIND you!" episode. I'm not enjoying it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:47:57 PM by Tale »
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: April 25, 2010, 03:43:39 PM

It wasn't amazing but it was a good Dr. Who episode. Lots of bits that will scare kids and they weren't going silly with making it into Aliens like I was afraid (though I might want to wait till the second part has aired on that). It was definitely pantomime, the Angels seem to have randomly developed new powers and techniques while the Doctor suddenly doesn't seem to know that much about them anymore but fuck it, it's stuff that'll scare kids and was fun in the context of the episode without being totally nonsensical. Tale's got a point that we've gone from Tenant's episode long self-doubt and playing followed by a climactic "I Am The Doctor!" moment to Smith just saying it 4 or 5 times an episode. They seem to be playing up his ego/being silly contrast but the way to do it is not having him keep switching between the two every 5 minutes.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #384 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:50 PM

I thought it was dreadful. It feels more like Doctor Who fanfic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: