Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:05:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 628083 times)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #140 on: November 15, 2009, 09:48:13 PM

That was a really awesome episode. Thanks for reminding me it was on.

Edit:

I didn't pick that up... nice have to go back and hear it.

that was a smashing episode.....

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #141 on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:12 PM

We have to wait till next month in the States. >_<

http://www.bitcomet.com/

... Just sayin

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: November 15, 2009, 10:22:51 PM

Yaup, I just found it, thanks. Yeah, woah. I wish I could form some coherent sentence, but just...woah.  ACK!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 15, 2009, 10:29:57 PM

And damn, the production value of that was high! I don't know if they saved money by going with just a few episodes this season, but it seems they put a lot into this one. I'd be happy if they kept this up. Maybe a few more episodes though.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: November 16, 2009, 01:16:15 AM

Wasn't a fan of Tinkerbell the Dalek.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: November 16, 2009, 05:32:13 AM

I liked the unwritten hint that even the Daleks knew that

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: November 16, 2009, 07:25:21 AM

Which would be fine if it made ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER.

But it doesn't. 

The Dalek would have fired.  No matter what.  It was just wedging WANK into an episode that didn't need it.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: November 16, 2009, 07:45:49 AM

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 16, 2009, 07:50:42 AM

I liked it more than I disliked it.

You know me;  I wouldn't be me if there wasn't SOMETHING that bugged the fucked outta me.  Tinkerbell was it.

It did reinforce how very much I am going to miss David though.  I'm sure it wasn't only me that saw at the end how well he would have also played The Master.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: November 16, 2009, 07:51:09 AM

The first 55 minutes were awesome.  The last 6 were a chasm of infinite retardation.  All-Star Doctor Who came out of nowhere and was idiotic enough, but the fact he got past it 30 seconds later was pure  awesome, for real 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 16, 2009, 09:57:37 AM

Really? It's not like we haven't seen him in that sort of mode before, they've been foreshadowing that sort of attitude and Doctor for pretty much the whole of Tennant's run.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: November 16, 2009, 10:59:32 AM

Family of Blood showed just how HARDCORE he was.

He trapped a little girl in a mirror for fucks sake.

A MIRROR.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #152 on: November 16, 2009, 07:47:16 PM

AFter thinking it about it today and getting over the Love Letters of new Who.

Tinkerbell was silly and did not fit into Dalek Lore at all (even if she was a fixed point in time yada yada, a Dalek wouldn't care)

Bringing those people back to the earth was so risky, hell bringing that robot back was a risk.  That was straight up Russian Roulette with the world. ( and as Vanilla Ice said in Cool as Ice "thats a straight up fact Yo!")

I think it would have had far more impact if it had ended as he walked away listening to them all die over the radio.  Even if his "surprise I can break the rules" bit is just to move the plot forward for the end of David T's reign.. it was as clumsy as a tree sloth after a 4 day binge on cough syrup and ritalin.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: November 16, 2009, 08:15:38 PM

As poorly done as the "Are you retarded or something?  I'm the goddamn Time Lord!" was, I still would have been ok with it that phase of his life lasted more than THIRTY SECONDS.  Even when Peter Parker refused to fight crime and went to class instead with his cool new haircut, we got 20 or 30 minutes out of it.  Couldn't they have gotten a whole season or at least a few episodes out of that? 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #154 on: November 16, 2009, 11:12:45 PM

Great episode over all. Sufficiently tense and creepy, and even if it was a little odd, the ending was unexpected, which is always good.

I find it funny that you guys are tearing apart details like Tinkerbell... The one thing that bugged me the most, was the Doctor standing on the surface of Mars in a space suit... with fires burning from the wreckage. Fire. On the surface of Mars.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: November 17, 2009, 02:04:05 AM

Those are mundane problems with it.

We're more highbrow.

why so serious?

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #156 on: November 17, 2009, 07:06:04 AM

I acquired and watched the Waters of Mars last night. It's a very good episode - well written, produced and acted. Watching Lindsay Duncan in a decent role made me watch to watch GBH again. Tennant is superb, and plays the dark aspects of The Doctor's character brilliantly. I'm glad that he's leaving because I have no confidence that the writing will remain up to the current high standards. Of course, I would love to have seen what he could do with Michael Moorcock's undoubtedly original take on the character, although there is no indication at this point that the book that Moorcock is planning to write will be made into a screenplay.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:07:51 AM by Righ »

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #157 on: November 17, 2009, 09:23:54 AM

The Doctor's new companion: Moonglum   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

wow that is, just wow... I will certainly be buying that book.

By Arioch my Sonic Screwdriver shall suck your soul!

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 25, 2009, 12:33:10 PM

Well, that was certainly....something.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #159 on: December 25, 2009, 09:54:10 PM

It's amazing how no matter how little I expect from Doctor Who anymore, I seem to get a little less than that.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: December 26, 2009, 02:58:17 AM

Best thing about RTD quitting is that they may be able to get an actual script editor in. I mean, that was like he wrote a rough first draft and then went "fuck it, it's good enough. Let's roll!"

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #161 on: December 26, 2009, 06:48:18 AM

It's on in the US tonight and the last bit is on January 2.  (in case anyone didn't remember)  There is some show named "Demons" on after that has the boss guy from Life on Mars in it. There wasn't a description of the show but I finally saw a trailer and it seems to be yet another vampire thingy.  I'm so tired of vampires.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #162 on: December 26, 2009, 11:50:48 AM

I'd be lying if I said I didn't see that coming.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: December 26, 2009, 05:36:38 PM

Very good. I'm going to miss Tennant and Davies, that's for sure.

WHAT will happen next?.?.?.?.? (Trying to make may question marks not look like sadface!)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:09:53 PM by Slyfeind »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: December 29, 2009, 10:29:17 AM

What was with the spittle from Time Lord Dalton?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: December 29, 2009, 10:53:39 AM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: December 29, 2009, 11:07:27 AM

Anyhoo, it was indeed a pretty rough script, I think. RTD's fetishes have definitely outstayed their welcome, though lots of credit to him for making the series as a whole really viable again. The best Eccleston and Tennant episodes (whatever you think of the actors' take on the character) are better than anything in the pre-RTD history of the series as stories, IMHO. There's been some great thinking about the character, his situation, and so on under Davies. Just...I don't want to see any more "dumbfuck plutocrat/bureaucrat who fatuously miscalculates his ability to control magic technology that he scarcely understands through working with demonstrably evil collaborator(s)". I'm kind of done with the whole celebrity-worship thing. And so on.

The funny thing is that RTD's best moments have almost always been the quiet scenes, not the spectacles: the scene in the cafe and the Doctor and Master reminscing were the best here, for example.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: December 29, 2009, 11:27:43 AM

About the cafe scene-

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #168 on: December 29, 2009, 11:37:32 AM

I liked Part 1. But:

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: December 29, 2009, 11:50:13 AM

Spoilers ?  Really ?

Well, ok.

Anyone who didn't see this coming the minute 'Dalek' aired is an idiot.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: December 30, 2009, 11:39:07 AM

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: December 30, 2009, 03:05:09 PM

I really didn't get the Master in this one, what is it with RTD and finales equalling sudden new magical powers for whoever it might look cool for? Overall I didn't dislike it, as others have said the quiet moments that involve some thinking about explanations and let the actors really work without effects or explosions are his best moments, though I can imagine having a very different attitude if I was 12 and watching it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: December 31, 2009, 01:34:33 AM

I'm slightly annoyed that we seem to be pushing the 'kids these days won't like a villain that just thinks'.

No, he has to shoot lightning.

Jesus.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: December 31, 2009, 10:45:23 AM

I'd love to see the Master be more cerebral, less flamboyantly whacko, in some future version.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: January 01, 2010, 12:05:26 PM

What I really needed to see tonight was an old gay man wanking off.

Thanks BBC.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: