Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624467 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #105 on: July 30, 2009, 08:23:14 AM

I didn't like Martha, either.  They should have cast her as the same character she had previously played.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: July 30, 2009, 08:39:35 PM

The problem with Martha was that Davies was still stuck on "Doctor is a sexy sexy devil, and all females want to fuck him" schtick. I think it was fine when he introduced a sexual undertone for the first time: it was an acceptable twist to the formula. I thought it was ok when he suggested that Sarah Jane basically got so stuck on the Doctor that she burned her sex life on a pyre and waited for menopause to strike her hoping he'd come back. But enough's enough. Martha would have been fine if she was an interesting, intelligent professional who was fascinated by the Doctor's world and got caught up in his struggle. Which she was at times in her run--it's just that then Davies would get his wires crossed and go back to "Martha's in loooooove with the Doctor" thing.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: July 30, 2009, 08:48:48 PM

Oh, she wasn't that bad.  I'm glad we went from Martha to Donna, though.  Donna, while not exactly as beautiful, seemed to have more sense than the two previous companions put together. 

I'm worried that since we are getting a 26 year old emo doctor they'll go back to the well, though. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:02 PM

Yeah. I'm completely willing to like the next Doctor but I do not want "young adults with hormones". Just don't want it. Youthful energy, fine. Old soul in young body, fine. Doctor and companion constantly doing bedroom eyes at each other, no. Constant sexual tension, done with it.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: July 30, 2009, 09:25:41 PM

Martha was crap, I just didn't like her.  I think Donna was the best of the new companions.  Rose was good too, but I think her *relationship* with the Doctor should have been the last of the Doc/Companion romances.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #110 on: July 31, 2009, 10:13:21 AM

I actually like that Martha was obviously attracted to the Doctor but knew better than to get hooked on him. It was a good transition from romantic doctor to the Doctor Donna relationship, a rebound companion as it were. Not sure how Emo Doctor and the Waif are going to get along, but we've already seen that the Doctor does get involved with a companion in another regen.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: July 31, 2009, 01:52:26 PM

I liked Martha so much, because first she was trying to be taken seriously as a doctor despite being young and cute, but also wanted to be taken seriously as someone the Doctor could be involved with, AND she knew she was living under the shadow of a lot of other companions, that it all became a study in what happens when someone realizes they'll never live up to anybody's expectations, and THEN what do they do?

They spend a whole year being underappreciated, work behind the scenes to save the world, then continue to live like that forever.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: July 31, 2009, 02:54:40 PM

Uplifting stuff !

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: July 31, 2009, 03:35:00 PM

AND she stays sexy through it all!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #114 on: July 31, 2009, 04:00:29 PM

The Family of Blood episodes are what ultimately sold me on Martha. She was bad. ass. in that.

There are plenty of other instances where the companion saves the Doctor's ass (and not accidentally, like Rose did.) but that's one of the high points.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: August 02, 2009, 02:43:52 AM

The Crush Ruined Her.

It's that simple.

Everything she did that was impressive and clever and daring and quick was totally trampled by her mooning all over the shop like a daft cow.

Even the Sontaran Strategem had her Engaged to be Married and mooning like a lovelorn twonky.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #116 on: August 02, 2009, 10:15:52 AM

I really didn't like Donna in the Xmas special.  And then she became my favorite companion, possibly ever.  She seemed to be the companion with the most depth and the most balls.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: August 03, 2009, 10:54:08 AM

Yeah Donna took a while to grow on me, but when she did, I think she became my favorite. Donna's really at the heart of the show, someone unassuming but with so much potential, then realized it, then had to give it all up, and she wasn't all lovestruck or whatever. She was the Doctor's true friend, and that's a dynamic hard to pull off on TV, male-female friends. AND of course she has a reputation for really good comedy, so it was awesome to see her play something straight and subtle like that. Without getting all dark even!

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: August 12, 2009, 11:51:00 AM

The time beetle episode was dark as fuck.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 12, 2009, 01:36:46 PM

Hm, yeah it was.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #120 on: September 03, 2009, 08:32:15 PM

I do not enjoy the show Torchwood... In fact I have been known to say it sucks sweaty gerbil gonads since about mid season 1.   Now with that said, if you are a Who fan go download the Torchwood 5 part miniseries Children of Earth.   

It is right up there with some of the very best of Who.  Don't wanna toss out any spoilers to folks who haven't seen it but my god did they redeem themselves in a big way with this.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: October 26, 2009, 09:45:44 AM

I'm slowly working my way through Season 1 of this right now.  Watching Empty Child & The Doctor Dances alone in the house after midnight was maybe not my best plan.  I was completely not expecting that level of creepiness from Dr. Who.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #122 on: October 26, 2009, 10:31:18 AM

Obviously you never watched Dr. Who from "behind the couch" as a child.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: October 26, 2009, 03:50:13 PM

Just remember to watch Blink in the middle of the day. With friends around.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: October 26, 2009, 04:34:38 PM

I've just rewatched the library, both parts, on iPlayer. God that was a great episode.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: October 27, 2009, 05:55:42 AM

The Library episode is really just about my favorite in the entire history of the series, especially the second part.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: October 29, 2009, 02:53:38 PM

Oh man, rewatching the series 4 finale and I had totally forgotten how awesome German speaking Daleks are.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: November 05, 2009, 12:54:19 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: November 05, 2009, 01:07:24 PM

Iiiiinteresting.

I think I'm getting now why the Doctor apparently freaks out when he realizes where and when he is. This is going to be one of those times where he's expressly not supposed to change how things turn out, and I'm guessing that he's gonna eventually feel compelled to break the rules and pay a price.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 05, 2009, 01:51:06 PM

I'm really gonna miss Tennant.  I don't have any high hopes for the new Dr.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: November 05, 2009, 02:15:39 PM

You know, to be fair, I didn't have much hope for Tennant when Eccleston left.  I'm willing to at least see how it turns out given how absolutely right Tennant was for the role after all.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #131 on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:14 PM

You know, to be fair, I didn't have much hope for Tennant when Eccleston left.  I'm willing to at least see how it turns out given how absolutely right Tennant was for the role after all.

This.  And it took me a few episodes to warm up to Tennant, or for him to find the character, I'm not sure which.  I'll give the new guy the benefit of the doubt for at least that long.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: November 06, 2009, 06:39:33 AM

Some new pics of the new Doctor out. He doesn't look nearly as bad as that first Twilighty picture suggested. Still not sure what it's going to be like though.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 06, 2009, 07:59:41 AM

Umm.. ya.. I'm not in love with that Kate Gosselin haircut there.    ACK!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 07, 2009, 10:34:30 AM

This.  And it took me a few episodes to warm up to Tennant, or for him to find the character, I'm not sure which.  I'll give the new guy the benefit of the doubt for at least that long.

Kinda this.  In a way.

Difference for me is Tennant got it straight away for me (his intro in the Christmas Invasion worked for me so very well) and, well, new guy still doesn't look right.  Hard to explain.

Ye Gods, that picture.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #135 on: November 13, 2009, 12:30:04 PM

Some new pics of the new Doctor out. He doesn't look nearly as bad as that first Twilighty picture suggested. Still not sure what it's going to be like though.

Robert Smith - the makeup + J. Crew  + a dash of Brooks Brothers =  Facepalm

I hope for the best, and me being me I know I will watch each and every episode even if this guy is as bad as the dark years in the 80s.  It was a bit of a shock when I realized that for the first time ever I will be older than the actor playing the Doctor.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 14, 2009, 12:32:44 PM

That was the first thing that struck me.  That I was older than the Doctor finally.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: November 15, 2009, 12:12:51 PM

Why can't every episode be like that one?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 15, 2009, 02:09:48 PM

That was a really awesome episode. Thanks for reminding me it was on.

Edit:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:27:13 PM by NowhereMan »

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 15, 2009, 09:02:44 PM

We have to wait till next month in the States. >_<

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: