Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624322 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1750 on: September 28, 2014, 12:26:50 PM

The Pink/Doctor interaction where Pink gets all soldiery was one of the high points of that ep. Calling the Doctor on his bullshit was a nice piece of characterization.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1751 on: September 28, 2014, 05:27:49 PM

I really like how once Pink got a handle on the situation he was quick to get his shit together.  He was only Mickey for all of 10min and then he was able to shine as intelligent and capable.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1752 on: September 29, 2014, 07:40:45 AM

Yeah, Pink has become the new Centurion Rory only less comedy. I really dig him - too bad you can see him going away with Clara.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1753 on: September 29, 2014, 01:07:01 PM

That leap was some michael jordan shit though, maybe he does teach PE.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1754 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:30 PM

Yeah, that was bullshit.  But hey ho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1755 on: September 29, 2014, 04:59:43 PM

It felt less bullshit than a golden arrow powering a rocket ship into the atmosphere.  why so serious?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1756 on: September 29, 2014, 05:02:44 PM

All soldiers can do that.  It's part of the training.  why so serious?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1757 on: September 29, 2014, 07:13:13 PM

It's cuz he's black.  amirite? why so serious?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1758 on: September 30, 2014, 01:49:18 AM

No, I get it.  It wasn't plot or dialogue bullshit so I gave it a pass.  I liked this one a lot.  I'm also hopeful for the next one.  Spiders.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1759 on: October 01, 2014, 08:44:32 PM

Yeah, but no more RoboGarrus.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1760 on: October 02, 2014, 07:04:19 AM

It's cuz he's black.  amirite? why so serious?

No, it was clearly because he was a PE teacher.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1761 on: October 04, 2014, 01:39:11 PM

Absurd, but didn't mind it all.  Elena liked it.

Still liking him.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1762 on: October 05, 2014, 04:32:26 PM

I really like how once Pink got a handle on the situation he was quick to get his shit together.  He was only Mickey for all of 10min and then he was able to shine as intelligent and capable.

this, I was groaning at the thought of mickey 2.0

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1763 on: October 05, 2014, 05:43:01 PM

Didn't care about the core absurdity. This was good. Good character work, good drama, this is actually moving the whole show forward. Almost to the point that I'm wondering if Moffat was held back by the ghost of RTD--e.g., Matt Smith was more of an RTD style Doctor and Capaldi is at last the Doctor that Moffat really wanted to work with. I dunno. I don't care. This season is interesting to me.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1764 on: October 05, 2014, 05:50:54 PM

My girlfriend loves the line "I'll slap you so hard you'll regenerate."

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1765 on: October 05, 2014, 08:32:58 PM

My girlfriend loves the line "I'll slap you so hard you'll regenerate."

That was a good line. The rest of the show was utter shit from start to finish. One day we'll have a show about a time-traveling adventurer who brings along various companions rather than a bunch of somewhat uninteresting people with quirky personalities who happen to meet a time traveler every once in a while.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1766 on: October 05, 2014, 08:56:17 PM

That was a good line. The rest of the show was utter shit from start to finish. One day we'll have a show about a time-traveling adventurer who brings along various companions rather than a bunch of somewhat uninteresting people with quirky personalities who happen to meet a time traveler every once in a while.

Part of the problem is they are setting up Clara leaving.

Honestly, they should have just ended her run as companion when she jumped into his timeline.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1767 on: October 06, 2014, 12:04:30 AM

And to think they had the perfect nonconventional exit method with that. Dispersion into the timeline sacrifice yada yada, selfless hero bla bla. That should have satisfied their hard-on for her as well as this Clara wankfest we see here.

I really like the new season, I adore Capaldi. But they lay it on a bit thick with Mary Sue Clara.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1768 on: October 06, 2014, 02:45:11 AM

I agree with you both.  It's quite clear that he's trying to make the Clara Exit a 'Big Thing' to the point we have to wonder which Promised Land she'll end up in.

However, I don't care.  I am really, really, really digging this Doctor who, to my mind, is taking it right back to my Old Skool Dr Vibe.  People (even here) have said 'wait, he's kind of a dick now' and Good God, they're right.  He's awesome.  He even brought out the Tom Baker Yo-yo, much to my delight.

The only thing that annoys me is his written obsession with young Clara, but even a Timelord would want to hit that, so I can't really get that upset.

I would utterly kill for 3 things :

1 - Capaldi.
2 - Donna as the companion.
3 - Better scripts set in more Alien Places.

But hey ho, I'm still finding it more interesting solely due to this New Doctor.  We'll see how long it is before he Moffats it up.  The Moon one was STILL an absurd fairy tale, of course, but as I said, I didn't mind it as much as I would've if Matt had been doing it....

I also really like the guy playing Pink.  He seems far better than the material he's being given.  Was he on anything else ?

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1769 on: October 06, 2014, 06:43:25 AM

Didn't really care for this episode much, to be honest. Just too out there on all the various ideas. The moons shifting so suddenly it has 1G gravity, because hatching makes your mass increase 100 fold? Moon spider bacteria thingies, that just happen to spin webs, because spidery? I could get past that (you have to to enjoy this show) but the whole episode was really just about Clara getting pissed off at the Doctor, and it wasn't terribly fun.

Oh, and now do we have to end every episode with one minor event that is so grossly absurd on a Physics level it makes my head hurt? First the golden arrow of penetrating fuely-ness, now we have space chicken shits out a new egg right after its born that happens to be the same size as the egg it just hatched from.  swamp poop

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1770 on: October 06, 2014, 06:54:27 AM

Fair enough.  A lot of people were also turned off by the glaringly obvious Abortion parallels.  I long ago decided not to give a fuck about 'science' in this show (because it got Jettisoned a long fucking time ago and got even worse when Moffat decided it was a fairy tale).   It's a fight not even worth having anymore.  I mean, we had fucking spitfires in space in one season and, even better, it took TEN MINUTES to create them from scratch.  Seriously, ten minutes according to the internal chronology of the show.  You couldn't even get REAL spitfires launched in ten fucking minutes.

So I just ignored the science and the abortion and concentrated on Hot Angry Clara and my new Favorite Doctor.  I think I'll be doing that all season, especially when Moffat unleashes his HEAVEN-SWCHANG later on.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1771 on: October 06, 2014, 07:52:24 AM

Hot Angry Clara and my new Favorite Doctor.

This right here.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1772 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:01 AM

Oh Capaldi is absolutely hitting it out of the park. He's chewing every bit of scenery he can and they are giving him some good lines. And Danny Pink is my new favorite companion even though he technically isn't. He should be. Danny Pink, both the character and the actor, are awesome. The actor's name is Samuel Anderson - linked to his IMDB page. He's killing it with such a small amount of material that I'd love to see him continue as a companion after Clara's gone. Maybe he can knock her up then continue with the Doctor while she fucks off home. Love the actress, starting to really hate what they are doing with her character.

Science getting left behind wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't so obviously daft. I mean, even grade schoolers know that if you just remove the moon, shit goes all sorts of bad. Magic baby egg moons don't just reappear and if they did, MORE BAD THINGS HAPPEN. This isn't normal Doctor Who timey-wimey science, this is full on "IT'S MAGIC!" territory and it's lazy ass writing. It's writers determining that what they want to say is more important than how you say it, or how you get to that point. At least make some fucking effort for shit to make sense.

As for the Doctor's sudden revelation that he can somehow "see the future" - I don't even know where to start with that. Because I'm pretty fucking sure if that were true, it would have come up sometime in the last 50 odd years of stories. Oh right, it's not true, you just pulled it out of your ass just this minute didn't you?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1773 on: October 06, 2014, 10:41:41 AM

When you've lived for that long and time traveled that much I don't believe it's so much seeing the future as remembering what you've already experienced.  There's also the bit where they look into the time rift or whatever and it drives some people mad which I had always assumed was getting a glimpse of the entirety of space and time all at once.

So while not a Who expert my take was always that knowledge of events is all there just very, very inaccessible.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1774 on: October 06, 2014, 10:48:14 AM

Science getting left behind wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't so obviously daft. I mean, even grade schoolers know that if you just remove the moon, shit goes all sorts of bad. Magic baby egg moons don't just reappear and if they did, MORE BAD THINGS HAPPEN. This isn't normal Doctor Who timey-wimey science, this is full on "IT'S MAGIC!" territory and it's lazy ass writing. It's writers determining that what they want to say is more important than how you say it, or how you get to that point. At least make some fucking effort for shit to make sense.

Well, yes, but I've ranted about that for about 5 or more seasons now.  I can't do it anymore.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1775 on: October 06, 2014, 06:10:14 PM

As for the Doctor's sudden revelation that he can somehow "see the future" - I don't even know where to start with that. Because I'm pretty fucking sure if that were true, it would have come up sometime in the last 50 odd years of stories. Oh right, it's not true, you just pulled it out of your ass just this minute didn't you?
I honestly figured he was just lying. He didn't want to go into the shit about 'fixed points'. This was a fixed point. He was in the middle of it.

And he undoubtedly knew it was a huge moment for earth. He just decided not to meddle. Wasn't his business. Easier to make up some bullshit about fuzzy future vision, as the ensuing argument showed. Even with his BS excuse he got flack from Clara.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1776 on: October 06, 2014, 07:47:11 PM

Well, yes, but I've ranted about that for about 5 or more seasons now.  I can't do it anymore.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-super-friends-villains-that-didnt-give-4023252A/

Check out #5- the plot made slightly more sense. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1777 on: October 07, 2014, 06:50:34 AM

Doctor #9 said he can sense time. Doctor #10 said things of this sort a few times. I think it's fairly clear he has a kind of general temporal awareness, probably partly because of a telepathic connection to the TARDIS.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1778 on: October 07, 2014, 06:53:22 AM

I honestly figured he was just lying. He didn't want to go into the shit about 'fixed points'. This was a fixed point. He was in the middle of it.

And he undoubtedly knew it was a huge moment for earth. He just decided not to meddle. Wasn't his business. Easier to make up some bullshit about fuzzy future vision, as the ensuing argument showed. Even with his BS excuse he got flack from Clara.

You also have to bear in mind the last time he meddled with a fixed point on Mars, it...didn't work out so well.

I'm not surprised he ran.  I am surprised he lied about it.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1779 on: October 07, 2014, 07:01:03 AM

Doctor #9 said he can sense time. Doctor #10 said things of this sort a few times. I think it's fairly clear he has a kind of general temporal awareness, probably partly because of a telepathic connection to the TARDIS.

There are also other episodes that go specifically into 'I don't know what could happen here, I only know what might have'.  Which is part of the fundamental problem/awesomeness that is Doctor Who.  He knew about the Great Fire of London.  He didn't really know that he caused it fighting Terreleptils.  He knew about Fang Rock.  He has no idea it was all his fault. Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

This is what usually happens when Who goes down a real history lesson.  This episode just took something we didn't know about yet.  It also doesn't bother me that he could suddenly figure out what happened once it did;  this is a chap that Looked at the Earth ONCE and realized the Daleks had been meddling with Time.  There's clearly Some Extra Sensory Time Lord thing and you see it time and time again, so I don't much care about it and can swallow it.

Again, the Doctor here is much easier to 'get' if you look back at Waters of Mars, though that episode was just fanfuckingtastic compared to Moon Egg.

Except without Clara in a floaty short skirt.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1780 on: October 07, 2014, 08:12:41 AM

This review was shamelessly stolen from Another Site and I post here because I think the guy has some truth to what he writes.

Not all the truth, of course, but it does highlight some of my own reaction, rightly or wrongly.

http://www.philipsandifer.com/2014/10/kill-moon-review.html

Also, Clara.  Floaty Skirt.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1781 on: October 07, 2014, 09:22:08 AM

But Waters of Mars was total shit.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1782 on: October 07, 2014, 11:05:51 AM

Primacy and recency effect there i think.  It had a fuck awful ending but was good until then. Tennant was in fine form.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1783 on: October 11, 2014, 09:04:23 PM

Christ, that dress.

And Foxes singing Queen.

What was this episode about?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1784 on: October 12, 2014, 01:29:17 AM

I didn't like it.

Not even worth a mention, really.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: