Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624353 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1470 on: November 26, 2013, 09:00:45 AM

That would be the plot hole I mentioned, yeah.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1471 on: November 27, 2013, 10:34:48 AM

Not really sure where this "Moffat needs to go" comes from. Hes given life to this show.

So did Dr Frankenstein.  Thing still terrorised the village.

Also, stop poking the tiger for the sake of it.  Either read the fucking thread or don't.  We have enough shit trolls about at the moment.

Wasn't a troll. With out Moffit, the series would not be as popular as it is. I Basically completely disagree with your assessment of his contribution to keeping Who Relevant. The reboot has been the best who. An incredibly fun show to watch.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1472 on: November 27, 2013, 11:04:51 AM

I'm not saying this is a mark of quality but ratings for the last full season (seven) were actually slightly down compared to the final full RTD season (four). Eg, only the opening episode and the Christmas special got above nine million, while in Season Four there were three episodes plus the Christmas special above nine million.

There may be all sorts of reasons for that and I'm sure it's fair to say that the time had come for a new showrunner but there was no sign the show as in trouble before Moffat took over.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1473 on: November 27, 2013, 11:20:13 AM

I'm not saying this is a mark of quality but ratings for the last full season (seven) were actually slightly down compared to the final full RTD season (four). Eg, only the opening episode and the Christmas special got above nine million, while in Season Four there were three episodes plus the Christmas special above nine million.

There may be all sorts of reasons for that and I'm sure it's fair to say that the time had come for a new showrunner but there was no sign the show as in trouble before Moffat took over.

He was a writer on those sessions too. AFAIK, its a team effort.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1474 on: November 27, 2013, 11:43:09 AM

I used to watch the black and white reruns on PBS in the mid 70's.  After 4 decades, I find I don't care so much about plot holes and changing the rules. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1475 on: November 27, 2013, 11:44:13 AM

We all agree I think that Moffat wrote some of the best episodes of the RTD era but when some of us complain about his leadership of the show we're talking about the period since he took over.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1476 on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:15 AM

Which Bloodworth would know if he'd fucking read anything.

We don't just sit and shout abuse like fucking tramps.  For my part, I've laid out time and time again why Moffat is just so very WRONG for this job.  Saying 'I don't know where this comes from' is just a whole big 'I disagree with what you said' without any of the cleverness.

And we've already fucking admitted (Upfront and AT THE TIME) that his earlier writings were some of the best.  I can't pass 'Blink' without watching.  It's the retardery that happened to his writing once he was in charge that's offensive.

Call it Lucas Syndrome.

Which you KNOW BECAUSE WE'VE SAID THIS SO OFTEN.

Well done.  Troll succesful.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #1477 on: November 27, 2013, 02:49:24 PM

Can confirm.  Moffat's failings have been discussed ad nauseam.  Read the thread.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1478 on: November 27, 2013, 02:51:31 PM

Day of the Doctor was ok.

Just to reiterate.  Worth a watch.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1479 on: November 27, 2013, 03:03:47 PM

Did some pretty crazy numbers in the theaters also from what I've read.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1480 on: November 27, 2013, 06:06:28 PM

It ranked second in the US for weekend box office.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1481 on: November 28, 2013, 02:01:10 PM

Not really sure where this "Moffat needs to go" comes from. Hes given life to this show.

So did Dr Frankenstein.  Thing still terrorised the village.
Actually the "monster" was the victim of the piece and the torch-wielding villagers Were The Real Monster.
But whatever.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1482 on: November 28, 2013, 02:17:19 PM

Like my critique of Moffat, nothing I wrote was factually incorrect.  Sure, it wasn't his fault he terrorised the village, but it's what happens.

Much like when another season of Moffat Who comes out and THE DOCTOR MIGHT DIE IN THE FINAL EPISODE OMG.

Ohhhhh, I see.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1483 on: December 03, 2013, 12:59:52 PM

SO, I'm COMPLETELY IGNORING THIS THREAD to avoid spoilers. The fiancee and I have only been able to watch up through the Christmas Special from last year. The second half of Season 7 does not seem to be streaming anywhere (including Prime or Hulu Plus). Does anyone have suggestions were we might be able to watch it?

beer geek.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1484 on: December 03, 2013, 01:57:21 PM

SO, I'm COMPLETELY IGNORING THIS THREAD to avoid spoilers. The fiancee and I have only been able to watch up through the Christmas Special from last year. The second half of Season 7 does not seem to be streaming anywhere (including Prime or Hulu Plus). Does anyone have suggestions were we might be able to watch it?

If you wait a bit it will be on Prime.  They've had all the Nu-Who in reasonable times after airing, though that might be another six months.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1485 on: December 03, 2013, 04:02:59 PM

If you wait a bit it will be on Prime.  They've had all the Nu-Who in reasonable times after airing, though that might be another six months.

The first episode from 7.2 aired on March 30. Prime/Hulu have had 7.1 for awhile, but 7.2 is languishing in getting up on either. Apparently in November they were available briefly on Hulu Plus by mistake but got yanked. In fact, when browsing Hulu Plus, it will list "14" next to Season 7, but when you click on it, only through the Christmas Episode is available.

beer geek.
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #1486 on: December 04, 2013, 12:27:06 AM

I see it on Amazon Instant Video right now, just not free..
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1487 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:42 AM

Fuck it, I've paid for it with my TV Licence fee ;  you have my fucking permission to pirate that shite.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1488 on: December 04, 2013, 04:15:28 PM

I see it on Amazon Instant Video right now, just not free..

Prime will lag because it's free, but all the other Nu-Who seasons have been on within usually six months to a year after broadcast.  If you can wait, you don't have to pay.  The 50th was really expensive as well to purchase through Instant Video (~$5 rather than ~$2).
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1489 on: December 04, 2013, 10:49:25 PM

Prime is not free.

Fuck it, I've paid for it with my TV Licence fee ;  you have my fucking permission to pirate that shite.

Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to start with that these days.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:43:35 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1490 on: December 11, 2013, 06:29:25 PM

Finally watched this.  I enjoyed how the one guy made fun of stupid shit the current Doctor does, and at the same time I wanted to say JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE LAMPSHADING IT DOESN'T MAKE IT OKAY, MOFFAT.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1491 on: December 12, 2013, 07:56:12 AM

Yeah, but that's why he said it.  It was a great big 'I KNOW WHAT I DO, FUCK YOU IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM I'M STEVEN MOFFAT  I INVENTED THE BBC.'

Which will be hilarious when he gets kicked to the curb.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1492 on: December 12, 2013, 11:29:01 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if he walks at the end of the next series - he would have basically done everything he wanted to do by that point (turn the Doctor back into a mysterious meddler, brought back Gallifrey, fixed the regeneration limit).

And then people can move on to blaming everything on the new guy and saying "Moffat wasn't so bad".

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1493 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:39 AM

And then people can move on to blaming everything on the new guy and saying "Moffat wasn't so bad".

You paint the picture of a horrible future.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1494 on: December 12, 2013, 12:01:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he walks at the end of the next series - he would have basically done everything he wanted to do by that point (turn the Doctor back into a mysterious meddler, brought back Gallifrey, fixed the regeneration limit).

None of those things are true.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1495 on: December 13, 2013, 10:44:27 AM

I'm Rick James Steven Moffat, bitch!

Fuck yo' TARDIS!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1496 on: December 17, 2013, 10:56:38 PM

Matt Smith leaving without ever having had a full season of worthwhile scripts is a goddamn shame. He did a spectacular job with complete and utter nothing to work with. He (and the hotness that was Amy Pond and is Clara) were the only reasons I kept watching through the Moffatry.

She is cute as a button... I thought the Vincent van Gogh episode might have been one of the best Who endings ever.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1497 on: December 22, 2013, 08:27:21 PM

A friend of mine did some prints of a personal project he did and I grabbed one off of him and framed it. I'm really sorta in love with it.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1498 on: December 23, 2013, 03:26:31 AM

Finally watched DoTD. It was worth the money I paid for the DVD but I can't see myself watching it again. The script was servicable, Tennant was The Doctor, Smith did a fine job too as did Hurt. The eye-candy was... eye candy but the re-writing of The Time War left me cold. Fuck it, that's what made Ecclestone's version of The Doctor so enjoyable to watch in a sea of mediocre effects and (some) average scripts, the unspoken rage at what he had done.

Things I would like to have seen:
Jack Harkness (because awesome)
Not Billie Piper. I get that they used her as a different character but it felt like a sop to the fans. I loved Rose as a character but that wasn't enough to bring her back.
Less Tom Baker. It was good to see him but the subtlety became a sledge hammer.
A tiny bit more of the earlier Doctors - it was great to see some of the earliest there but more would have been good given stand ins/CGI.

Which the closing credits reminded me that that I've been watching the show since Jon Pertwee was The Doctor and how upset I was when he regenerated into Tom Baker. Amazing how first impressions can go astray. I also remembered going to the movies to see re-runs of Peter Cushing as The Doctor  ACK!

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1499 on: December 24, 2013, 01:17:38 PM

A friend of mine did some prints of a personal project he did and I grabbed one off of him and framed it. I'm really sorta in love with it.

What, no Capaldi?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Finally watched DoTD. It was worth the money I paid for the DVD but I can't see myself watching it again. The script was servicable, Tennant was The Doctor, Smith did a fine job too as did Hurt. The eye-candy was... eye candy but the re-writing of The Time War left me cold. Fuck it, that's what made Ecclestone's version of The Doctor so enjoyable to watch in a sea of mediocre effects and (some) average scripts, the unspoken rage at what he had done.

Things I would like to have seen:
Jack Harkness (because awesome)
Not Billie Piper. I get that they used her as a different character but it felt like a sop to the fans. I loved Rose as a character but that wasn't enough to bring her back.
Less Tom Baker. It was good to see him but the subtlety became a sledge hammer.
A tiny bit more of the earlier Doctors - it was great to see some of the earliest there but more would have been good given stand ins/CGI.

Which the closing credits reminded me that that I've been watching the show since Jon Pertwee was The Doctor and how upset I was when he regenerated into Tom Baker. Amazing how first impressions can go astray. I also remembered going to the movies to see re-runs of Peter Cushing as The Doctor  ACK!
You're old  tongue

(I remember Tom Baker regenerating into Peter Davison)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1500 on: December 25, 2013, 11:53:25 AM

Oh For Fucks Sake Moffat.  You have a problem.  Get help.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1501 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:00 PM

Well now I can't wait to watch it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1502 on: December 25, 2013, 07:01:50 PM

No matter how low my expectations, Moffat comes in under them.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1503 on: December 25, 2013, 08:57:30 PM

Excited to see what Capaldi can do, but that was a shit show of a Christmas episode.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1504 on: December 26, 2013, 07:17:56 AM

What a completely underwhelming and awful way of resolving the regen problem.  I expected little and got less.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: