Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624399 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1435 on: November 24, 2013, 09:58:37 AM

I'm 11, one of the doctor's in which I've seen hardly any episodes.  I think I mostly saw reruns of Tom Baker and started watching them live (well, live-ish) mid Peter Davidson and skipped most until Tennant.   I'm pretty sure David Tennant is the only one that I've seen nearly all of.  I started watching his because I loved him in Duck Patrol.  Now that I've been labeled Doctor 11, and in light of the fact that I really enjoyed this new episode, I'm looking forward to watching the new series.  Tonight they're showing some sort of Matt Smith marathon so I'll watch some of those, too.  I'm pretty sure Doctor 11 is some sort of default for people who are nothing like any of the doctors.  They should just have a Doctor 0 result.  That makes more sense for me.  F13 always makes me feel so inadequate! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #1436 on: November 24, 2013, 11:51:00 AM

Thought it was a pretty great special.  It was really nice that they limited the bloviating puffery to that one rabbit scene.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1437 on: November 24, 2013, 11:54:13 AM

I got the 10th Doctor. In related news  I now get that joke: Tennant is Scottish.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1438 on: November 24, 2013, 01:31:39 PM

I have avoided spoilers on this show. I am up to the second Doctor on the modern series. So, I think season 2? How many hours of Netflix binging do I have before the newest season?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1439 on: November 24, 2013, 02:07:16 PM

Its been running since 2005 this run and you're at 2006.  So about 72, if you're finished with the 2nd season.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1440 on: November 24, 2013, 07:58:43 PM

Doctor 1 - which is oddly the one I've seen the least episodes of. I think I've watched just about every one available after Two, though I've never had the nerve to watch the one off one.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1441 on: November 25, 2013, 04:20:09 AM

You musn't turn away, you can't even look away, and above all, don't THINK.  If you THINK, it's DEAD.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1442 on: November 25, 2013, 05:03:25 AM

I don't mind thinking about the changes to the emotional mood of the current series, if not the specifics of the plot.

Another interesting thing I realized on second watch:
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1443 on: November 25, 2013, 05:12:55 AM

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: November 25, 2013, 05:14:40 AM

Ambivalence towards Genocide has always been part of his trait tho.  

While I understand exactly what you're saying, you can see how it's ingrained in his character.  That said, it's been clear after the Time-War that he DOESN'T give a shit about the Daleks (see Eccleston in Dalek for an excellent example).  Even then, though, his attitude was changed to the Dalek as he was forced to realise what he DID.  It doesn't matter how Awful the people are or how Much They Need To Be Stopped, it's the act of doing that's important and how it changes YOU.

That was starkly clear from Day of the Doctor because of how they distanced themselves from The War Doctor and also due to the fact that it's fairly clear that a crossfire scenario would have left Daleks alive in a way that The Moment would NOT have.

Anyway.

Edit :  Yeah, what Numtini Said.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1445 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:38 AM

I really want to watch a whole season of the John Hurt doctor.

Was pleasantly surprised by the special - when it became clear they weren't going to press the button I was practically hiding behind the sofa in fear of the bullshit Moffatt had planned. But it all worked out ok.

Particularly enjoyed how they provided an in character explanation for the Doctor being too damn young since it restarted.

(the 2nd Doctor)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1446 on: November 25, 2013, 08:05:49 AM

I really want to see a whole season of McGann.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1447 on: November 25, 2013, 08:23:01 AM

I really want to see a whole season of McGann.

I endorse this.

One thing I really liked about the mini-episode was the way they used the character as it has developed in the audio plays, which has become a lot more interesting than the one that appeared in the McGann TV movie.

Maybe they could do an animated series or something.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1448 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:13 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1449 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:05 AM

Wat ?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1450 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:06 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1451 on: November 25, 2013, 12:09:06 PM

Played by Angry Scottish Eyebrows.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1452 on: November 25, 2013, 12:36:58 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1453 on: November 25, 2013, 03:01:48 PM

Also in addition to wanting to see more of McGann and Hurt, I wouldn't mind seeing them use David Bradley as the First Doctor in some episodes as well.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1454 on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:41 PM

I'm sorry, did someone just post that Moffet had said you can't casually break rules in science fiction? Seriously?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1455 on: November 25, 2013, 04:53:38 PM

Also in addition to wanting to see more of McGann and Hurt, I wouldn't mind seeing them use David Bradley as the First Doctor in some episodes as well.

Warning - this is an actual spoiler for a future episode:

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1456 on: November 25, 2013, 05:01:54 PM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1457 on: November 25, 2013, 05:07:13 PM

Warning - this is an actual spoiler for a future episode:

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1458 on: November 25, 2013, 06:12:09 PM

Sisterhood of Karn has already clearly lit the way for an escape hatch though.

On Moffat, if you've watched "The Five Doctors Reboot(ish)" you'll see that he knows pretty much everything that folks who don't like him think of him and doesn't give a shit.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #1459 on: November 25, 2013, 07:36:55 PM

Well finally saw it, and enjoyed it very much. John Hurt was great, Tennant didn't miss a step and Matt Smith, well he did his thing as usual and love him or hate him, it won't change your opinion.  Even Rose was worked into it well.  Lots of fanservice, but didn't find myself annoyed by it.

Oh, and Five-ish Doctors is hilarious.

Test says I'm the 3rd Doctor. Score.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1460 on: November 25, 2013, 08:01:18 PM

Not really sure where this "Moffat needs to go" comes from. Hes given life to this show.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1461 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:51 PM

Because he's a one-trick pony and that truck has worn thin.

Fourth Doctor, by the way.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1462 on: November 26, 2013, 01:34:34 AM

Not really sure where this "Moffat needs to go" comes from. Hes given life to this show.

So did Dr Frankenstein.  Thing still terrorised the village.

Also, stop poking the tiger for the sake of it.  Either read the fucking thread or don't.  We have enough shit trolls about at the moment.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1463 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:20 AM

Sisterhood of Karn has already clearly lit the way for an escape hatch though.

Yeah, as I mentioned in a previous post, the Regenerations Rule is already extremely broken even in pre-reboot continuity.  There are SOOOooooo many 'outs' it's not real.

Which is why it's ok for the Doctor to Die at Trenzalore, because he doesn't really die, yadda, fucking yadda.

Same shit is coming that they did with that utter cop-out of him getting shot at the lake.  It's almost inevitable at this stage.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1464 on: November 26, 2013, 03:20:28 AM

Wishful thinking on my part but I'd rather they just let the character die after Doctor 13 and just pass the mantle of the Doctor onto someone else. Let the character have some closure and with someone new you could probably do some race and gender swaps for regenerations and not have it be as out of place as it would seem with a Time Lord who has consistently regenerated as a white male.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1465 on: November 26, 2013, 03:25:04 AM

The UK would string you up for heresy.

Seriously.

I'm a reasonable guy about Dr Who and I feel my palms itching at the mere suggestion.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1466 on: November 26, 2013, 03:52:19 AM

If it makes the UK feel any better, I'd be perfectly fine with Superman, Batman, and Spider-man all taking a permanent dirt nap as well.  Keeping a character going just out of tradition regardless of quality is how Doctor Who wore out his welcome the first time around.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1467 on: November 26, 2013, 05:20:57 AM

They could take a few years off and then come back with a new team perhaps.

My problem with the show at the moment is the constant focus on the Doctor and his backstory and the show's mythology. For me, it shouldn't be about how an event in episode 4:12 ties in with the show's mythology and let's explore that five years later in a story which is all about what it's like being the Doctor who is a Timelord and 1200 years old.

I've enjoyed stories where the Doctor gets emotional, like the whole Rose romance or discovering he's not the only Timelord after all (but the other Timelord is his arch enemy, on noes!). But the Doctor's personal story isn't really enough to sustain the show on its own in my view, especially when they are bound up with bizarre and convoluted stuff like Trenzalor. When Tennant *nearly* told Rose he loved her before losing her forever (so it seemed), it was sad. When Matt Smith gets upset about hearing the word Trenzalor it doesn't move me.

What Doctor Who needs as well as the Doctor is for him and his companions to go off to interesting places and meeting new people and discovering new situations, possibly with a monster. And it can't be a place which is only really interesting because it's Gallifrey or the site of the Doctor's grave or whatever. It has to have a bit of a story. Modern day earth works perfetly well as long as it has a story, eg it is being invaded by aliens (but not if the story is just that a strange artifact from the Doctor's past has appeared, that's rubbish). RTD's Who gave us interesting stories all the time.

That's my take on it. Also, it would be good if he could run through the streets of Paris holding hands with a young Lalla Ward too.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1468 on: November 26, 2013, 07:06:03 AM

Yes, I agree, but Moffat likes to play in the muck.  He's touching that shite because he can and he knows it irritates most people.

As you can see with His Constant Need to Put The Line "Doctor Who" into his fucking episodes.

Asshole.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1469 on: November 26, 2013, 08:34:59 AM

Well, he tried really, really hard.

Apart from the one enormous plot hole, that was fairly enjoyable.

Especially the rabbit.

I loved it right up until

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: