Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 624356 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1365 on: October 20, 2013, 02:50:07 PM

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1366 on: October 20, 2013, 02:59:56 PM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1367 on: October 20, 2013, 04:21:02 PM

I stand corrected. Another hope dashed against the rocks.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1368 on: October 21, 2013, 01:24:09 AM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1369 on: October 21, 2013, 06:22:46 AM

I dunno. A lot of people who've seen it think it's Hurt, too--since they're all CGI except for Smith, there isn't any way to be sure one way or the other.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1370 on: October 21, 2013, 06:38:56 AM

A - It looks nothing like Hurt to me, still.
B - In the episode where he appeared, he really, really looked like shit.  I mean, seriously old man beat up shit.  That copper, not so much.

But hey, it doesn't really matter in the long run.  We'll find out.  And then cringe.

IN SHAME.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1371 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:43 AM

Keep in mind I have a long track record of being wrong about future plot directions in nuWho, too.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1372 on: October 21, 2013, 11:06:25 AM

Good find but even though that's him in the "pilot" I'm sure he can't be the guy who actually appeared An Unearthly Child (even though every website says he is). Take a look at the two pics here: http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=48507 Is that the same guy?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1373 on: October 21, 2013, 11:44:05 AM

It's got a little weird in here.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1374 on: October 21, 2013, 11:48:07 AM

Weird? Nahh. I think most of us have gotten used to you Dr Who purists by now.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1375 on: October 21, 2013, 12:14:18 PM

You all know this already, but of course "pilot" is the unaired version of An Unearthly Child, the first ever episode of Doctor Who, which they scrapped and reshot because it made the Doctor look too evil and Susan look too weird, among other things.

I'm saying that the policeman in the new trailer appears to have come from "pilot" and not the version actually aired, where the policeman appears to be played by a younger man with a fuller face.

Ie:

Pilot

An Unearthly Child

Trailer

Or it could be John Hurt after all for all I know
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1376 on: October 21, 2013, 02:28:45 PM

I know nothing about the "pilot" episode. I know that the policeman at the start of Episode 1 is an iconic moment in Dr Who history. Applying Occam's Razor, it makes sense for that trailer to start with an image that harks back to that moment.

Also

It looks nothing like Hurt to me

From other recent publicity stills, I do think Hurt's Doctor is in the trailer if you look closely. And I also think that if you're wanting him to be anything other than something related to the Time War, you're going to be sorely disappointed. You're thinking like nerds, not like Moffat.

Yes, I've got a theory. It annoys me that I have because I don't even really care that much.  Ohhhhh, I see.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1377 on: October 23, 2013, 11:47:46 AM

There are lots of terrible fan-made title sequences floating around YouTube but I thought I'd flag up this one because it's really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOBHnWiinY
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1378 on: October 23, 2013, 01:32:25 PM

So for those of us who only ever watched Mr. Scarf in the 80s/ 90s and never really followed the lore:

What's up with this being the 12th Doctor? Is it over when this one decides he doesn't want to do it anymore or was there some hand-waving solution I missed in the past or during the Matt Smith era when I didn't have BBC America?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1379 on: October 23, 2013, 01:41:17 PM

I don't know a whole lot but from my understanding the Master has had more than 12 lives so I'm sure Moffat will do something to put Ironwood out of his misery.  why so serious?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1380 on: October 23, 2013, 01:45:51 PM

Anyone's guess how they will justify it, but Doctor will go on if the ratings do.

"Me am play gods"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1381 on: October 23, 2013, 01:48:31 PM

It's an odd one, actually.  The Master had various schemes to 'steal' regenerations, so it's kinda like an energy that you can nick.

Further, not only has it been made clear explicitly that the Time Lords can 'grant' further regenerations, they've even done so for The Master.  That could just be Eye of Harmony stuff though, so won't work anymore, but who the fuck knows.

The bottom line has already been spoken :  if there's life in the show, it'll get timey-wimey and just be 'explained.'

And I'm ok with that.

Right now, of course, I'm hoping he just gets put out of his fucking misery.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1382 on: October 23, 2013, 02:20:16 PM

Right now, of course, I'm hoping he Moffat just gets put out of his our fucking misery.

Fixed that for you.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1383 on: October 23, 2013, 04:32:44 PM

It's an odd one, actually.  The Master had various schemes to 'steal' regenerations, so it's kinda like an energy that you can nick.

Further, not only has it been made clear explicitly that the Time Lords can 'grant' further regenerations, they've even done so for The Master.  That could just be Eye of Harmony stuff though, so won't work anymore, but who the fuck knows.

The bottom line has already been spoken :  if there's life in the show, it'll get timey-wimey and just be 'explained.'

And I'm ok with that.

Right now, of course, I'm hoping he just gets put out of his fucking misery.
The best explanation would be, of course, that the 'last' Doctor dies in a scene of great angst and drama...and then regenerates again. New doc stands up, looks around, says "Hmm. That's odd. Didn't expect that" and then carries on from there.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1384 on: November 10, 2013, 07:11:01 PM

New trailers are interesting.

Still holding out hope that Hurt is the first, not 8.5.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1385 on: November 11, 2013, 04:01:08 AM

New trailer is a bit spoilery and you might consider not watching, but if like me you have no willpower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS1cNjJSGQs
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #1386 on: November 14, 2013, 04:40:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Night of the Doctor mini-episode.  awesome, for real

Won't say anything more. Spoilers and all.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1387 on: November 14, 2013, 04:49:52 AM

Oh well.

But I liked it, anyway.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1388 on: November 14, 2013, 05:14:44 AM

Kinda retarded, but actually I enjoyed the closure.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1389 on: November 14, 2013, 06:35:49 AM

Put that together with the Big Finish adventures and it makes you feel a bit sad about what might have been.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #1390 on: November 14, 2013, 06:37:55 AM

I know I'm using a spoiler tag for a video a few posts up but...

Put that together with the Big Finish adventures and it makes you feel a bit sad about what might have been.

I wish they could find some room for him to do a one-shot Christmas special or something.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:39:27 AM by Special J »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1391 on: November 14, 2013, 06:48:08 AM

As I said at the time, it wasn't the Actors fault.  Much like the current Doctor, the TV Movie was just utterly silly in so many ways.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1392 on: November 14, 2013, 06:51:18 AM

Yeah. Though he was the one good thing about it.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1393 on: November 14, 2013, 12:29:04 PM

Not true.

(The TARDIS set was also gorgeous).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1394 on: November 14, 2013, 08:04:50 PM

Good point.

On 2nd and 3rd viewing, I really like the mini-episode. A lot. Give Moffat some credit.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1395 on: November 14, 2013, 08:24:21 PM

That. Fucking. Rocked.

Seriously, the best thing Moffat's ever done, as far as I'm concerned.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1396 on: November 15, 2013, 01:28:45 AM

Blink was the best thing he ever did.

This doesn't work for me because it throws every bit of history away with a one liner.  I will agree however, that it's hard to sell in a six minute bit, so it works within the constraint of the medium.  But I'm glad (no sarcasm) that it's working for the new legion of fans.  Good.  I continue to hope that the Episode itself contains as much PROPER fan service as that short did.  It worked wonderfully well for that.

It's giving a LOT of people heart attacks as they are forced to renumber the Doctors tho.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1397 on: November 15, 2013, 05:20:00 AM

I think I now understand what it means to squee for the first time in my life.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1398 on: November 15, 2013, 08:33:22 AM

I did like it... and it certainly makes me wish we'd gotten McGann as a proper Doctor with proper shows.

But I'm kind of with Ironwood on this one. I'm also just totally not sure that Moffat is the man to go back over the "Time War Doctor" and do it any fucking justice whatsoever.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1399 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:04 AM

Blink was the best thing he ever did.

This doesn't work for me because it throws every bit of history away with a one liner.  I will agree however, that it's hard to sell in a six minute bit, so it works within the constraint of the medium.  But I'm glad (no sarcasm) that it's working for the new legion of fans.  Good.  I continue to hope that the Episode itself contains as much PROPER fan service as that short did.  It worked wonderfully well for that.

It's giving a LOT of people heart attacks as they are forced to renumber the Doctors tho.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I stand corrected by the pissy Scotsman again. Blink was indeed the best thing he did. I guess I still think of that as a Davies thing since he was show runner.

That said though, this was a solid bit of fan wankage.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dr. Who  
Jump to: