Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:21:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: 30 Rock 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 30 Rock  (Read 7802 times)
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

on: September 09, 2008, 03:27:55 PM

I actually sat down this summer and watched the first two seasons and the show is goddamn hilarious.  All thanks to Alec Baldwin of course.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:49:44 PM

I generally like the show but can't fucking stand Tracy Morgan.  He ruins nearly the whole show for me so I only watch it if there's nothing else on in its time slot.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:55:36 PM

I just finished watching the first two seasons and I think it is areally great show.

Alec Baldwin is awesome of course but I also like Tina Fey a great deal. I also have a little crush on her ;-)
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:34:17 PM

Smart women that wear glasses are so hot.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:44 PM

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 05:17:20 PM

Hot geeky girl with glasses that likes star wars and ghostbusters. Once in a lifetime baby, once in a lifetime.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:32:09 PM

Ok who saw the last episode?  I haven't laughed that hard at anything for a long time.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:20:47 PM

Yeah, this is the only network TV show I watch.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:19:23 AM

I came very close to lizzing.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 11:59:57 PM

I came very close to lizzing.

Lol, I like Alec Baldwin's tracy Jordan Google News alert. 

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Dion
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:40:08 PM

I hate the whole cast apart from Alec Baldwin. Tracey Jordan is such a dumb character but from time to time says some pretty hilarious things.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 04:53:08 PM

Tracy Jordan: I'm gonna have so much money, my grand kids are gonna play lacrosse. Lacrosse, Liz Lemon.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 03:34:06 PM

I admit I've watched 30 Rock from basically the beginning and still enjoy it... but I have to wonder what demographic they are targetting.  Just caught up on this year's episodes, and this exchange:

New boyfriend: Hey, Wesleyan is the Harvard of central Connecticut!
Liz: No, Yale is the Harvard of central Connecticut.
New boyfriend: You had that locked and loaded, didn't you?

So, a big punchline depends on the viewer knowing the general academic relationship between Harvard, Yale, and Wesleyan?  At this point, is the show just targeting NYC professionals?  How is it still on the air?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 04:44:57 PM

I just want to figure out who or what Kenneth Parcell really is.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 04:57:05 PM

No, he's a guardian angel.  At one point when he thinks tracy is dead he shouts "No jacob, not yet! It's not his time!" as though he were speaking directly.

Also while the yale joke was pretty highbrow, this show is anything but that.  It's got plenty of humor that goes outside an insider demo, it wouldn't have made it this many seasons otherwise.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:16 PM

So, a big punchline depends on the viewer knowing the general academic relationship between Harvard, Yale, and Wesleyan?  At this point, is the show just targeting NYC professionals?  How is it still on the air?

They cynical, jaded part of me wants to know how that differs from any other show set in NYC, ever.

They all have an irritating amount of east-coast inside jokes and references that rely on having lived in the area or are generally familiar with it.  They've all done pretty well regardless of this fact.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 07:08:32 PM

I laughed at the SUNY Oneonta joke.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 11:22:21 AM

I tend to disagree, I find there are a ton of inside jokes for all kinds. I just know I am missing a ton of funny stuff because I wasn't familiar with the reference and may not have even realized that there was a joke and yet there are other times I find myself laughing my ass off and I know that there is a large part of the population that just doesn't get it. I love this about the show.
A good example of this was a recent crack that Liz Lemon makes about the tv show house hunters, the GF and I watch that all the time and this totally caught us off guard and we were howling. On the surface it probably wasn't all that funny but by catching you off guard and being so specific it just works.

Bunk and I were discussing sitcoms on the way into work today and I came to the realization that the other main reason that I find the show is so enjoyable is that you almost never see the jokes coming because they come from so far out of left field. when you contrast this with the big bang for example , in last nights episode
You could see it a mile away and it just lacks the punch.

A few other shows that did a great job of specific references and coming out of left field were Community and Arrested Development.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 04:27:20 AM

The leap day episode was pure awesome, for real
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 03:45:02 AM

Yeah, the Leap Day show was hilarious and surreal.  I don't know how they get big stars to constantly appear, but kudos.  After five years, the show still feels fresh.  I like how I never know how things are going to resolve.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 05:06:10 AM

Both episodes last night were awesome.

"Talking about Krang on TV is a waste of time."

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 06:24:22 AM

can anyone please confirm they had a subtle tentacle rape joke last night for me.

I think Avery's mother mentioned something about kidnapping and an 8 armed encephalopod with Jacks head.

but I may have been hearing things and or reading too much into it.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 07:15:33 PM

She said she had a dream where she was made into a sex slave by an 8-armed space octopus with Jack's head, or something like that.

So yes.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 09:08:49 PM

"squid-like alien with your head"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 07:52:27 AM

Welp, the show's over.  The ending was mediocre except for Kenneth's story  which was great.

I'm going to miss all the sly references and inside jokes.  Blimpies!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:47 PM

Bespin Cloud Cars.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: 30 Rock  
Jump to: