Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:07:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: How I Met Your Mother 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How I Met Your Mother  (Read 17540 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: September 09, 2008, 12:58:31 PM

This is one of my favorite comedies on right now, especially since it's got Neil Poon Hunter in it.

It's got some of the best running gags.. like the Slap Bet.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:02:40 PM

This show has gone on too long and suffers from the typical US "We keep making money, so we can't END the show!" television syndrome.  It's a decent enough sitcom (and one of the last ones left.)  But it would have kept my interest longer if I knew there was going to be a resolution sometime.   Instead I know we'll just get a ratings drop and the show will die over a weekend without ever finding out the title's premise.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:04:13 PM

It feels like Friends with NPH and no one peaks the way Chandler did on a crack binge :(
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:05:30 PM

Well they are slowly moving towards it.  I'd be surprised if there won't be something this season, as the "Mother" was alluded too in a couple of episodes toward the end of last season.

NPH does make the show for me though.  

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:05:52 PM

Easily one of my favorite shows on tv.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 09:30:35 AM

Necroposting for the win  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I was given the first two seasons of this on loan over the holiday week. My wife and I are going through it an episode or two each night and really enjoying it. The writing is a bit smarter than the average sit com, and they do a good job of setting little things up and rewarding the audience with a payoff. NPH is just awesome in his role, but the entire cast holds up. The only thing that seems out of place is the presence of the kids on the couch. I know it's to set up the point that it's a story being told to them, but it feels more like an executive decision than the writers need to over explain to the audience.

Grimwell
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:47 AM

The writing is a bit smarter than the average sit com, and they do a good job of setting little things up and rewarding the audience with a payoff.

I thought the opposite and stopped watching.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 10:08:11 AM

I gather you are wanting to see the "mother" and upset that you have not after however many seasons? I pretty much accepted in the very first episode that I would not see the "mother" until they were ready to close the show. It's an odd hook to hang the series on, and puts it all on the back of just one character until his dream girl arrives, but it was a simple pill to swallow... the show isn't about the mother... it's about the people.

Grimwell
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 12:18:40 PM

I gather you are wanting to see the "mother" and upset that you have not after however many seasons? I pretty much accepted in the very first episode that I would not see the "mother" until they were ready to close the show. It's an odd hook to hang the series on, and puts it all on the back of just one character until his dream girl arrives, but it was a simple pill to swallow... the show isn't about the mother... it's about the people.

I don't expect to see the *Mother* til the last few episodes of the show, it's not about her at all.  It's about all the things that happened to Ted and how it matured him to the point to where when they met, he was ready.  The show is really about the characters... it should be watched just for Neil Poonhunter Harris anyway. 

The show has some classic episodes... Slap bet being my overall favorite.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 12:20:56 PM

Last week's "Naked Man" was hilarious.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:06:01 PM

Of course it's about "the journey," and as nice a premise as that is, it's unfortunate his friends are completely bland, except for NPH, which is the only real draw of the show. As such, yea, I would've liked to see things fall into place faster. That said, I won't go much further since I don't know how much of it you've seen Grimwell.

And yea, Slap Bet stands out amongst the mediocrity.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:28:14 PM

I'll let you know when I'm done with the first two seasons. :)

NPH is definitely the strong character on the show, but flute girl from American Pie is fun as Hell and I loved last weeks (maybe?) episode with the dinosaur flaming office building.

Grimwell
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:34:27 AM

I'll let you know when I'm done with the first two seasons. :)

NPH is definitely the strong character on the show, but flute girl from American Pie is fun as Hell and I loved last weeks (maybe?) episode with the dinosaur flaming office building.
I believe her name is "Willow" or something like that. :)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:37:19 AM

I believe her fan club is located at corpnews.com

"Me am play gods"
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:35:15 PM

I believe her fan club is located at corpnews.com

She's in the T&A thread here too... and rightfully so. I just don't work very hard to memorize the names of people on tv or in the movies. I can enjoy the show without having to know their real names. :)

Grimwell
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 01:08:50 PM

IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE SHE HAS NO T OR A (and she's horrifically bad most of the time).
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 01:19:06 PM

Pshaw. You'd hit it.  awesome, for real

Grimwell
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 01:27:18 PM

I wasn't aware I said I wouldn't.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 01:27:51 PM

Just saying.

Grimwell
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 01:34:07 PM

There's a whole slew of actresses that are shitty at their job and aren't up to Victoria's Secret snuff I'd do unholy things to. Doesn't mean "you'd hit it" is somehow a counter argument.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 01:52:28 PM

You see... when I read someone typing:

IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE SHE HAS NO T OR A (and she's horrifically bad most of the time).

My brain is wired to register that as: I find this person unattractive.

Many folks pretend to have higher standards on the Intarwebs than they do in reality, so a quick "You'd hit it." is an adequate reminder that we'd be pretty damn happy finding that next to us in the morning. I was not debating that she has serious tits or some fine junk in her trunk... or that she's an award winning actress... so there really isn't an argument on my end at all. Just a statement.

Grimwell
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:13 PM

and yet... I'd hit it ;)

and also the gal playing Robin
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 02:57:25 PM

This is slowly becoming my favorite show currently.  Between it and Big Bang Theory!

I thoroughly enjoyed last season and the way things have all played out; plus plenty of chuckles.  The goddamn dinosaur building had me laughing for hours.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 09:45:15 AM

I'm one episode away from finishing season one. While I see some standard sit-com fare in it, it's overwhelmed by the fun bits in the writing. I'll get into season two this weekend and find out if they blew the staff and show on a second season, or if the writing holds up.

Grimwell
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 01:00:06 PM

This is slowly becoming my favorite show currently.  Between it and Big Bang Theory!

I thoroughly enjoyed last season and the way things have all played out; plus plenty of chuckles.  The goddamn dinosaur building had me laughing for hours.

Those are pretty much the only sit-coms I watch anymore.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 12:51:32 AM

This week's episode was great.

The show is good in large part because it plays with sit-com conventions and has self-referential jokes and jerks with the timelines. I just started watching it this season and I'm hooked.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 07:35:50 AM

Whoever they have writing this season is a genius.  I am now enjoying this show more than Big Bang Theory, and I <3 BBT.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 10:34:19 AM

This week's episode was great.

The show is good in large part because it plays with sit-com conventions and has self-referential jokes and jerks with the timelines. I just started watching it this season and I'm hooked.
I think the bit that hooked me was when flipping channels I saw Barney detail the "Hot/Crazy scale".

Barney: There's no way she's above the line on the 'hot/crazy' scale.
Ted: She's not even on the 'hot/crazy' scale; she's just hot.
Robin: Wait, 'hot/crazy' scale?
Barney: Let me illustrate! (draws diagram) A girl is allowed to be crazy as long as she is equally hot. Thus, if she's THIS crazy, she has to be THIS hot. You want the girl to be above this line. Also known as the 'Vickie Mendoza Diagonal'. This girl I dated. She played jump rope with that line. She'd shave her head, then lose 10 pounds. She'd stab me with a fork, then get a boob job. (pauses) I should give her a call.

Also:

Ted: I'm 'Too Much Tongue Guy'.
Lily: And I'm 'Unreasonably Small Mouth-Opening Girl'.
Barney: Worst... superheroes... ever

Gets an honorable mention that episode. :)
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 01:52:05 PM

if you get a chance you should watch 2 episodes:

(can't remember title) before thanksgiving 2007 episode, the one involving lilly and Barney doing one-person plays...

which leads into the greatest episode ever:

Slapsgiving 2007.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 01:34:59 PM

I just finished with season two of the show. I'm in for finding the rest and getting caught up.

I like it because it's actually *not* a sit-com. The plot evolves, the characters evolve, and the story goes forward (and *gasp* closes threads). That's a hell of a lot better than a normal sit-com where it's the same characters and reactions suck in a new weekly situation.

Normal shows would have milked the whole "Ted & Robyn" thing for years... I'm glad this one didn't.

Grimwell
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 10:05:26 PM

I was forced to watch this by my sister and I'm glad I was.  Seeing Neil Patrick Harris try to pick up a chick as a lesbian is too priceless.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 11:58:14 PM

NPH is the best reason to watch this show.   awesome, for real
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 04:51:53 PM

NPH is the best reason to watch this show.   awesome, for real

In some ways it is like NPH's character walked out of an entirely different show and onto this one.

I enjoy this show too and generally it avoids too much sappy cliche in its lessons.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 01:50:48 PM

I'm now at the stage where I just feel pity for everyone involved in this show.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 07:06:46 PM

I'm now at the stage where I just feel pity for everyone involved in this show.
Why?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: How I Met Your Mother  
Jump to: