Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dexter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dexter  (Read 61255 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #175 on: December 20, 2011, 11:31:36 AM

Just finished watching all of this season over a 2 week time frame.  Terrible.  As bad as blowing up the shack or the entirety of season 3.  Next season should be interesting, but this season was really dull and kind of sloppily executed.

-Rasix
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: December 20, 2011, 06:16:15 PM

I fast forwarded through most episodes, it's not worth watching anymore. The writing and characters are so inconsistent, nobody on the series learns anything, nothing ever has consequences.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #177 on: December 21, 2011, 01:00:40 AM

The last three episodes were despicable.  There were so many last minute miracles (literally, if you can read spanish) that the whole thing just stopped making any damned sense by the end.  The entire season was telegraphed pretty much from the beginning as well; the minute Debra got her promotion I knew how the season was going to end, though I didn't think it would be so dramatic, which I thought was just absurdly stupid.  Seriously, there were far better ways for her to find out.  I literally facepalmed when she walked into the church.

I take back what I said about this season being mediocre.  By the end of the season it was truly dismal.

As for the incest stuff: it honestly didn't bother me.  What bothered me was Debra acting like an unprofessional love-sick schoolgirl at the crime scene on episode 12.  The writing this season was spectacularly dumb.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:13 PM

Another problem with the series was how crazy Travis was.  Out of everyone Dexter has targetted he is probably the only one that you could legitimately see putting in an insanity plea if caught and getting institutionalised.  It takes a lot of the righteousness out of Dexters code to be hunting someone so obviously sick.

The incest thing to me felt like a particularly mean-spirited writer getting off on making the divorced couple kiss.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #179 on: October 01, 2012, 07:43:01 AM

Oh Jesus fuck yes.

That was everything I wanted.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: October 02, 2012, 01:47:54 PM

Greeeeat episode.
Rasix

Reply #181 on: October 02, 2012, 11:07:11 PM

Solid first episode.  Teasers for the rest makes me feel like it's going to a dumb, dumb place.  Still, next episode should be great until they go full retard.

-Rasix
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:05 AM

Solid first episode.  Teasers for the rest makes me feel like it's going to a dumb, dumb place.  Still, next episode should be great until they go full retard.

Heh.  Forced myself to turn off before the teasers.  I hate those "On this seasons of" teasers.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 06, 2012, 06:33:41 AM

Well this hasn't started out strong. Everything is grating, Dexter's inner monologue, Debra, fucking Debra and the entire cast for that matter. It was easy to forget how unrealistic the show was because it covered its mistakes with happy coincidences and played up the gravity of the situation. Now? Pssh, the murder rate in Miama might as well be 200000 deaths per day.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 08, 2012, 04:29:29 AM

So Deb is babysitting Dexter.  Who exactly is baby sitting Harrison?

Shit, I'm married, my wife does most of the child rearing, and I have maybe 2-3 hours A WEEK that I can actually call my own.  Dexter, a single father, has all the time in the world to himself, to the point where he can leave his kid with the babysitter for nights on end?

Jesus, is the kid anything more than a prop to this show?  The writing used to be fairly strong on this show, but since the Lithgow season it's fallen off dramatically.

I can't help but compare this to Breaking Bad, and Dexter comes off looking really shitty in comparison.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: October 08, 2012, 07:51:05 AM

Ya.  This episode was weaker than the first one and I'm not confident in where it's going.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:30 PM

Wow, my friends and I watched season 6 in three-episode chunks over the last month and came away feeling entirely positive about it, and the first two episodes of 7 that I've seen so far were both fantastic.

Season 1: Fuck yeah!
Season 2: Fuck yeah!
Season 3: Well, okay.
Season 4: Lithgow was great, otherwise meh.
Season 5: So, yeah.  A season of nothing happening.
Season 6: Hey, this was surprisingly good, let's see the en-HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIII*
Season 7: IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII*

Deb already had the best line in the series in episode 2. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: October 18, 2012, 12:42:40 AM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:42 AM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 18, 2012, 09:18:29 AM

Um, did you not see the latest episode?

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 18, 2012, 10:26:00 AM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:39 PM

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: October 18, 2012, 01:26:57 PM

Oh God.  I did watch it.

My mind doesn't remember things like it should.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #193 on: April 21, 2013, 06:25:17 PM

Just watched the entire season...

It was good in parts but it felt like they could have done more with the plotline and it seems like there'll be a lot more new characters come next season...
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: April 21, 2013, 08:27:06 PM

Next season's going to be the final one.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: September 23, 2013, 12:31:17 AM

I am not sure how I feel about this finale.
Rasix

Reply #196 on: September 23, 2013, 07:44:37 AM

I'm not caught up.  I almost want to just read a synopsis and be done with it.   

-Rasix
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: September 23, 2013, 08:35:13 AM

That finale was so laughably bad. This entire season has just been a train wreck.

All these characters they introduced this season that didn't matter, touching on things that might be interesting and then just forgetting they ever touched on them, and then

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:38:00 AM by Ozzu »
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: September 23, 2013, 09:30:00 AM

Yep, terrible. No real tension, nothing really resolved, no lessons learned- basically a waste of time. Glad this show is done with.

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: September 23, 2013, 04:09:22 PM

I really liked the finale until the last 5 minutes. I smell meddling from the network there. It should have ended

Since they're talking about a spin-off I think an interesting take would be Harrison in 15-20 years looking into his family's past.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #200 on: September 24, 2013, 07:10:58 AM

I really liked the finale until the last 5 minutes. I smell meddling from the network there. It should have ended

Since they're talking about a spin-off I think an interesting take would be Harrison in 15-20 years looking into his family's past.

Something like this would have made a decent ending.  When ever they extend something that's so obviously meant to end, it always gets messed up.  I didn't realise there was another season coming.  I really thought that was that until the very last bit.  I was more than surprised.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: September 24, 2013, 09:08:00 AM

I quit watching this when what's her face  killed doaks, or what ever his name was.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #202 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:45 AM

I quit watching this when what's her face  killed doaks, or what ever his name was.

Season 4 was really good.  Otherwise you're not missing much.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: September 25, 2013, 08:16:30 AM

I'm not caught up.  I almost want to just read a synopsis and be done with it.   

I'm not caught up (lost interest really early, like 3rd episode), so I read a synopsis and I'm glad I did and don't plan on watching the rest of the season now.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Rasix

Reply #204 on: September 25, 2013, 04:51:18 PM

I just read the synopsis.  Ohh god.  Yah, I'm not watching this crap until I have a major illness and am bored stiff.

-Rasix
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #205 on: December 30, 2016, 06:24:54 AM

Umm...Nah, I'm not THAT late to the party  why so serious?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
---

But hey, just wanted to say that I binge-watched (thanks Netflix Italy) the first two seasons and I absolutely loved them (minus some excessive "deus ex machina" moments here and there): I would put the series almost on par with Breaking Bad and other similarly high-valued products. S02 also ended perfectly and, as far as I'm concerned, they could have wrapped the whole show right there.

You know, considering that they dragged this for six more seasons, I'm actually hesitant going forward not to spoil the fantastic experience I had watching the first two seasons.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #206 on: December 30, 2016, 07:20:12 AM

Couple more seasons then quit while you're ahead.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 30, 2016, 10:46:14 AM

Umm...Nah, I'm not THAT late to the party  why so serious?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
---

But hey, just wanted to say that I binge-watched (thanks Netflix Italy) the first two seasons and I absolutely loved them (minus some excessive "deus ex machina" moments here and there): I would put the series almost on par with Breaking Bad and other similarly high-valued products. S02 also ended perfectly and, as far as I'm concerned, they could have wrapped the whole show right there.

You know, considering that they dragged this for six more seasons, I'm actually hesitant going forward not to spoil the fantastic experience I had watching the first two seasons.

I liked the whole run but then I'm like that.

But nothing was better than the season with John Lithgow in it (3rd season? 4th?).

The thing to keep in mind is that Dexter is a modern day Greek tragedy. He always thinks he's got things under control, but you the viewer are supposed to understand that he really doesn't, and things just keep getting worse and worse for him. It really is like Breaking Bad, in that although it does play the trick of telling the story of the bad guy using hero tropes you'd be mistaken to actually root for him to succeed.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 31, 2016, 07:44:14 AM

John Lithgow's season is certainly the high water mark, and where I would suggest stopping.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:54 AM

I've been rewatching this during my commute recently. I suggest watching through the end of the John Lithgow 4th season at least comma but the last four seasons are a huge step down. In fact,  the show gets worse and worse as it goes. If your binge watching it now, you're probably doing it on Netflix. If so, I'd suggest watching the OA instead of the last four seasons.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dexter  
Jump to: