Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dexter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dexter  (Read 61539 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: December 17, 2008, 02:58:36 PM

Something keeps nagging me.  Why did Dexter have to fake King's death instead of just explaining that he was kidnapped by King, woke up, managed to escape and kill king in self defense.  Hell it's fully explainable since he was on the Freebo case and besides, Dexter's blood is on the scene as well.

Does anyone have a reasonable explaination? 
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #71 on: December 17, 2008, 04:14:40 PM

Maybe they would be a little suprised that King would choose Dexter specifically...and much more surprised that their little bloodspatter dork managed to physically overpower and kill someone who was a torture expert? That kind of behavior doesn't fit the persona he attempts to portray.

No worries about Dexter's blood on the scene. After all, he'd probably be the guy asked to check for blood and then test it.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: December 18, 2008, 06:49:49 AM

What Xerapis said. And Dexter wouldn't want to answer questions about why he specifically was chosen. Remember, people like his sister were much more visible on the Freebo case than Dexter. Everyone who was taken so far had some connection to Freebo. At best, Deborah would wonder if Dexter had bought drugs from Freebo due to last season's addiction sideplot. At worst, she'd start to really wonder what's going on and start digging.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #73 on: December 18, 2008, 12:32:54 PM

Well, I obtained the rest of the episodes I missed and finshed them up yesterday. This season ended up better than I thought it would.  Still, I think this show has gone from a remarkable show to just a pretty good one.

I did not care for the entire Skinner plot or almost everything with Deb in it.
I did not care for Rita being a giant schizo bitch through most all of it (pregnancy sure, but they wrote her really oddly), but she did look pretty damn hot in her wedding dress.

I liked the work Jimmy Smits did with Miguel.  A truly manipulative monster.
I liked Dexter's dad.  I liked that Dexter went back to his dad after the betrayal he felt.

I would have liked to have seen more done with Masuka and Batista, but I think they did a good job with them for the most part.  The show focused really tightly on Dexter and Miguel and it didn't seem like there was much room for anything else.

I would really like this to move forward at a faster pace toward someone discovering him.  Someone he loves.  The Deb thing is going to take forever because she's a dipshit and won't connect it further than Brian Moser is Dexter's brother. If they recycle the "Dexter can't get along with murderers" plot line again..  Shaking fist

-Rasix
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009, 04:20:29 AM

Not spoiling myself by reading the thread, on last episode of series 1.  Just wanted to say how good this show is, even the opening sequence is great.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 20, 2009, 01:27:26 AM

I have one episode left in season 3.

Yes, this season went off rails a bit. The stuff with Smits was great, but everything else was blah. The writing did no favor to many of the seconday characters and at times, such as the shit about Quinn and the IA woman, it passed the line into just plain stupid and made the characters look stupid, particularly Deb who mindlessly believed whatever was told to her last.

This is not an ensemble show. In the first couple seasons characters like Angel and Masuka fit in because they hung out around Dexter, this season it felt like the writers were just going through the motions of giving them some minor plotlines even though they had nothing to do with the story. Like they felt obligated to throw them some bones, rather than write a story that would genuinely include them.

The skinner stuff was not interesting and didn't really go anywhere. Also at this point the kills Dexter makes feel almost perfunctory. Remember the car salesman in season 1. (?) That guy got a lot of screen time before biting it. This season the kills consisted of a 5 second shot of Dexter looking at their face on google, perhaps a 30 second interaction and then voila, they're dead.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 03, 2009, 01:07:56 PM

Rise!

No comments? Really? We thought it was a great start, with a very interesting cliffhanger. The kind of dark comedy that we've come to expect from Dexter. Also, seeing John Lithgow in this was odd but slightly awesome.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #77 on: October 03, 2009, 05:58:03 PM

What? It's back? Season 3 was a bit of a grind, like True Blood season 2, not quite as deteriorated as later Heroes or Prison Break seasons, but dangerously off-putting. I will struggle to get back into this.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 05, 2009, 01:44:07 AM

This season has been good so far. What I wrote above is still true, the storylines for the secondary characters still feel pretty weak, the secondary characters are only interesting when they interact with Dexter. This is most apparent in the new romance subplot, which feels pointless and soap-opera like. But other than that this season has been pretty great so far, even though Dexter is now married and with kid there is less family bullshit than in last season, it's really more of a backdrop than a major plotline.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 05, 2009, 10:23:31 AM

The Trinity killer is chilling. I don't know why he creeps me out so much but he really does. He feels dangerous. Moreso than any other past killer.

So far I like this season, especially how they're showing Dexter having issues adapting to his changed life. I like that Dexter is making mistakes now.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 05, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

The Trinity killer is, I think, the first psychopathic killer we got on Dexter. The people Dexter have been killing have been random thugs and/or perverts, while the main plots have covered apathic genious killers that aren't really moved by many of the expected emotions, like Dexter himself. It made them very removed from our own world of, well, real people. The Trinity killer on the other hand does feel for his victims, he's just so off the fucking hinges that he can't help himself and that lack of control and rationale can be a lot creepier than the calculating, by-the-numbers murders we've had this far.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 06, 2009, 06:14:35 PM

Yes and yes. Lithgow is a great choice as he has proven capable of pulling simultaneously funny, charming, and pitch black wicked. I look forward to further intractions with him. I also agree that while the A (each season's serial killer) and B (Dexter's episodic escapades) plots have been consistantly strong, the the office politics C and D plot stuff was especially unnecessary and unrelated for the last few seasons (Frankly, almost everything that includes LaGuerta and Batista). Unless they start pulling those threads back into the storyline proper they really need to stop introducing them.

That said, I'm happy to see Lundy back and look forward to Debra's collision with Dexter's past.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 07, 2009, 02:53:29 AM

LaGuerta has always been soap-opera-esque, remember when the other woman took over as captain (in season 1?) and LaGuerta drove her insane by sleeping with her boyfriend? That was really mid-afternoon soap style plotting, complete with ridiculous sinister surprise reveal. Batista's role has somewhat degraded over time, and Quinn is just pointless. Can anyone name anything he's done on the show that's even mildly interesting? Hopefully Dexter catching him pocket cash will turn into a real plotline, the character has no reason to exist otherwise.

Agree on Lithgow, he's scary in a way the other antagonists have not been. The way he killed that woman in the first episode was disturbing in a way the show hasn't been in a while.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 08, 2009, 07:15:51 AM

I was a little afraid Lithgow would be hammy but he's not. He's being probably the most creepy I've ever seen him. I've heard an interesting rumor about Trinity and his upcoming actions.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 08, 2009, 11:34:42 AM

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #85 on: October 08, 2009, 02:45:09 PM

What rumour from where?  Because if it's just supposin' then I don't understand why we're using spoiler tags.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #86 on: October 08, 2009, 02:54:29 PM

I stopped watching in S3 with Jimmy Smits.  Yeesh.  Between him and the actress who plays the sister (along with a few other duds) I couldn't watch this anymore.  Is S4 worthy like S1 or S2?
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 06:17:42 PM

We're two episodes in. Who knows? Lithgow is a great actor and has already completely owned his scenes, and Carradine's Lundy is the same passionately competent old detective he was in season two. I'm looking forward to watching those two outthink eachother... whatever the rest of the cast does with their own screentime.

The Skinner wasn't a particularly interesting mystery, and Smits wasn't dangerous enough to Dexter. Plus Dexter's awkward stumble towards marriage was mostly yawnsville. This season would be hard pressed not to clear last season's bar.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 19, 2009, 07:32:30 PM

Best episode in a long while. Tied everything together, better Dexter/Target interaction than anything in seasons two and three, and transcended the soap opera shit they were delving a little too deeply into. I retain the interest I was losing.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 19, 2009, 08:48:19 PM

I agree, this is the first time in a while that the villain of the week didn't come off as perfunctory.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 22, 2009, 10:19:40 PM

I thought they were going to drag out the stuff with Zoey or whatever her name was. Make it a 2-3 episode arc.

And wow...that ending. I think we all know that only one of the two of them lives which is sort of sad.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 24, 2009, 07:49:41 AM

Pretty obvious that Lundy dies (:[) but Debra lives (:[)
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 24, 2009, 08:35:27 AM

Pretty obvious that Lundy dies (:[) but Debra lives (:[)
Neither necessarily dies... at least one of them could wind up in a coma, or they could both simply be hospitalized. The show doesn't always choose the most obvious answer.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #93 on: October 24, 2009, 09:26:12 AM

He looked really dead.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: October 24, 2009, 11:55:46 AM

He's dead. cry
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 26, 2009, 12:30:12 PM

This last episode was pretty darn good I thought. I really thought Dexter was on the verge of revealing his inner self twice. Once to Rita and the other time to Deborah.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 26, 2009, 02:49:43 PM

I'm beginning to think that's what this season is about. Something's got to give. Trinity, like Ice-Truck, serves as an example to Dexter. Someone else who survives despite ghastly secrets. Trinity will die, but not before he teaches Dex something. I'm sorry to see Lundy go, though... the show has a shortage of smart people.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 02, 2009, 08:38:19 PM

Lithgow is the heart of this season. I am on the edge of my seat in totally casual, otherwise pleasant scenes.

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 02, 2009, 10:20:32 PM

Really, really solid episode this week. Moreso than usual.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #99 on: November 03, 2009, 12:28:01 PM

This season is so much better than last.  Guessed the whole impetus for Trinity's killings right from the start.  It's somewhat sad that someone like Lundy couldn't at least theorize that he was playing out something from his past and in particular some of the details.  But then again, he didn't know how far back it went.

I don't know if Dex has thought out the logistics of him rummaging in his shed at 3am after a kill.   awesome, for real

-Rasix
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 03, 2009, 07:19:40 PM

The scene with Trinity and his wife was just chilling, even as I knew he wasn't going to kill her. I think Lundy had a LOT of theories, and had been working on it so long he didn't want to nail anything down that he wasn't certain of. Dexter has the advantage of having the man's name.

On a lighter note:
Quote from: John Lithgow
Q: So when you knew that you'd be nude in this role - that was just old hat?

A: Oh yes. My first job on Broadway was "The Changing Room" in 1973 and it all took place in the locker room of a rugby team. And I had a long scene stark naked on stage. I won a Tony Award for that, so I look for every opportunity to take my clothes off ever since. People don't always necessarily want me to, of course.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: November 24, 2009, 05:46:43 AM

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 24, 2009, 01:05:58 PM

Yeah.  My only concern is that they're really dipping back into the themes and storylines of season 1.

John Lithgow better get nominated for an Emmy.  He is by far the most terrifying villain Dexter's ever had.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: November 25, 2009, 12:08:00 AM

It's too late to make the Bautista/La Guerta subplot relevant to anything. At this point they can't even drop it. We have to watch save time for it in EVERY EPISODE. Also poor Masuka... the guy just can't catch a break.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: November 25, 2009, 01:01:13 AM

The twist at the end was very soap-opera-y but overall a terrific episode with his wonderfully fucked up family. That daughter!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dexter  
Jump to: