Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dexter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dexter  (Read 61260 times)
RUiN 427
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 02:13:59 PM

sorry for all my recent posts in the tv section, i just found it and you are all talking about my favorite shows.

Anyway, the thing i like best about these dexter episodes lately is that when he does get a good clean kill off it feels very satisfying. Almost like your craving to kill along with his serial killer instincts.

"There's been no energy reading of any sort on Cybertron for the past seven hundred or so stellar-cycles."
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 03:51:24 PM

sorry for all my recent posts in the tv section, i just found it and you are all talking about my favorite shows.

Anyway, the thing i like best about these dexter episodes lately is that when he does get a good clean kill off it feels very satisfying. Almost like your craving to kill along with his serial killer instincts.

Psycho.

Heheh just kidding :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 07:22:41 PM

I really like this show, but I didn't really get it at first.  I was like, why is the acting and dialog so terrible.  Then I realized that was part of the show like some sort of indy film and I loved it.  Which is strange because usually the stuff other people consider slow burns are things I'm into right away.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 29, 2008, 12:17:21 PM

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a fourteen inch strap-on. smiley

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 04:45:17 PM

Today's was ok, not great but ok, but fuck, next weeks looks like it will be horrible  swamp poop
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 12:41:01 AM

I'm about 1/3 of the way through season 2 on DVD. This Lilah chick is really annoying me, from the second they introduced her it was clear they'd be sleeping together, and humanizing Dexter too much starts to detract from the overall point of the show.

Hopefully he kills her.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 07:36:41 AM

I was having a hard time staying interested in the latest episode.

I'm pretty tired of these characters I think. I'm not sure.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 09, 2008, 08:17:37 PM

Finished watching Season 2. Bittersweet.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 10:22:54 AM

Sigh. Obvious plot is obvious. Ohhhhh, I see.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:46 PM

So....um...yeah

I kept thinking 'I wish True Blood would download faster' during this. I don't know, the show has just lost something. Honestly, it almost needed to change locations after the first two seasons. I wasn't married to any of the characters that were still around....after the loss of Doakes. Sure, it's not possible but I think it would have been interesting.

Decent cliffhanger this time though :)

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 11:38:19 AM

Unlike the rest of you I like where this season is going. The theme seems to be fatherhood both literal and metaphorical. I think it's clear that Miguel is going to become Dexter's spiritual son, but without his code. I think we're going to see Dexter realize he has literally created a monster.

It'll be interesting. If I have any worries it is that they might stray too close to the subplot with the brother in season 1. The aspect of "this person understands me but I still have to kill them!"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 05:35:50 PM

I'm enjoying it, too, Riggs.  I like the Miguel character but I don't think he'll be around next season, at least not all of it.  Miguel is enjoying it too much.  Dexter is going to have to do something about him.  I bet it'll be nasty, too.  So far, I'm okay with this season.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 05:52:26 PM

I think it's decent, it's just too close to a rehash of previous seasons, the brother in the first and Laila in the second. It feels... too naive that Dexter would fall for the brothers-in-arms deal again. He has already been burned twice. He should KNOW now that it's smoke and mirrors.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50:52 AM

I think it's decent, it's just too close to a rehash of previous seasons, the brother in the first and Laila in the second. It feels... too naive that Dexter would fall for the brothers-in-arms deal again. He has already been burned twice. He should KNOW now that it's smoke and mirrors.

He does. That's what all those visions of his father are about, his subconscious telling him that this will be nothing but trouble. The point is, Dexter's lonely. He feels like no one understands him so he keeps reaching out and getting burned. He's alot like his sister that way. They both make horrible personal decisions for similar reasons.

I don't think it is smoke and mirrors with Miguel though. I think Miguel is genuinely Dexter's friend. The issue is going to be the code. Miguel is not bound by it which will be Dexter's test this season and I think he'll end up killing Miguel before the season is over because of this conflict.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 23, 2008, 05:47:16 PM

Whew.  Finally caught up on season 3.  Five minutes, folks.

JIMMY SMITS IS FREAKING ME OUT, MAN.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #50 on: December 02, 2008, 12:58:24 AM

It's back to option one. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 02, 2008, 04:57:47 AM

Option one was the only real option.  Gots to love option one.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 02, 2008, 06:55:16 AM

Ending last night was ACK!

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 02, 2008, 03:59:48 PM

I think it was the best episode this season, and really brought a meandering story together.

Ending last night was ACK!

I think it was the first time in Dexter I was really taken by surprise, and let out a verbal "fuck!"

Jimmy Smits continues to freak me out, man.  Its hard to see Bobby Simone act like that, but he does it well.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:07 PM

I think it was the best episode this season, and really brought a meandering story together.

Seconded!  I really enjoyed it
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 04, 2008, 06:08:45 AM

I like that it tied all three storylines together. I also like that they're setting up Laguerta to go "he was out all Thursday, and his SUV has those halogens...oh my god!"

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 04, 2008, 02:18:21 PM

Intriguing episode. I liked that Masoko got some screen time, he's a funny guy.

Smits deserves an award for his performance in my opinion. He's really convincing.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 04:19:33 PM

Late viewer here.

That really felt too easy. I was expecting something more climatic somehow. The last episode will have to close a fuckton of plotlines, at that, seeing how Miguel being dead will unwind a bunch, well, a bunch. Ohhhhh, I see.

Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 05:44:03 PM

That really felt too easy.

You have no idea how pissed I was at the "cliffhanger" ending being resolved the way it was.  That was pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Other than that, I thought it was fine.  I'll have to watch it again before the big finale.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: December 11, 2008, 11:47:02 AM

What bothers me is that it's now too late to do anything more this season. The giant arc with Miguel ended rather suddenly and the Skinner arc feels sorta like a sideshow and shouldn't be the material for the finale. There's a million social complications to be had, but from the my perspective, that feels insignificant in a show like Dexter. He needs having the hounds chasing him to really flower as a character, not merely social pressure.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 11, 2008, 01:37:17 PM

Did you not see the preview? Judging by the previews he is going to be hounded by Ramone. I'm predicting all 3 brothers dying at Dexter's hand before it is all over.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 11, 2008, 03:18:20 PM

Did you not see the preview? Judging by the previews he is going to be hounded by Ramone. I'm predicting all 3 brothers dying at Dexter's hand before it is all over.
I didn't... ...it wasn't included in the rip I downloaded. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Thanks though. That would be fateful indeed, but I still don't think they'll manage to top last season or even the first. The second season's climax was awesome.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 03:20:42 PM

The second season's climax was awesome.

Shouldn't that be in green?  Blowing up the shack? Murder trip to Paris?  GYAH.

-Rasix
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 03:37:58 PM

Did you not see the preview?

I stopped watching previews a long time ago.  If I want to know what's on the next episode, I'll just watch it.  The same goes for films - more often than not, you can pretty much sum up a film by its preview.  I'd rather reserve as much surprise and enjoyment as possible, considering that I'm completely jaded.  I also mute commercials, which drives other people nuts, the mouth-breathers that they are.

Blowing up the shack? Murder trip to Paris?  GYAH.

The Fonze was on the ramp, revving his engine at that point.  They managed to wave him off, thankfully.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 11:01:24 PM

I still say they jumped the shack.  We'll see.  I downloaded the shows I missed when my wife decided Showtime wasn't worth 2 shows I watch and a bunch of terrible movies.

-Rasix
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 12, 2008, 01:04:05 AM

I think I subconsciously excluded the murder trip to Paris, because that was pretty lame. Well, that wasn't really part of the Doakes-plot anyway. Blowing up the shack... well, I'm okay with that. It was more about the build-up to me. Dexter was in a serious way on the verge to getting busted. I liked that.

Jumped the shack, har-har. smiley

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 15, 2008, 06:42:57 AM

So, what did you guys think about the Season Finale? I liked it. I also like how they are setting up Deborah finding out about Dexter's past and maybe even that Brian was his brother. Good stuff for Season 4 I'm thinking.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 15, 2008, 07:08:41 AM

<fingers in ears> La-ala-alalala!

Fake edit: Goddamnit.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 15, 2008, 10:58:31 AM

Hmm. I'm not sure. It was okay. I liked the resolution of Ramone's arc. The skinner, not so much. I guess I thought it was a little too soapy overall, with Deb, the wedding, the secrets unfurling.

Overall I'm only mildly satisfied with season 3. It had very jumpy pacing towards the end, perhaps too many plotlines that needed conclusion. On the other hand, having Harry in as Dexter's conscious has been great.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 16, 2008, 05:40:28 PM

It was ok, not great, not too bad.

Left me not really caring about the next season though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Dexter  
Jump to: