Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Spored out of your mind? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spored out of your mind?  (Read 95260 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

on: September 02, 2008, 03:51:16 PM

Australia apparently has broken the street date on Spore (4th September for them), according to posts all over the internet. I doubt it's been broken up here (also due for Sept 4th), but I'm checking the local game retails tomorrow morning.

Might as well start up a thread for this shit. I, personally, cannot wait to find a bunch of Furry creatures, carefully cultivate a planet to their liking, thus creating a veritable Planet of the Fur. And then destroy that planet.

why so serious?

Oh, and the friendlist feature is apparently in, so we can pollinate our worlds with each other's dickmonsters instead of the phalli of random internet strangers.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:52:51 PM

Second Post!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:50 PM

Be wery wery quiet. I'm hunting Fuwwies. heh heh heh heh
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:34:37 PM

I CAN'T WAIT TO INFECT YOU ALL SOON.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:36:09 PM

Australia got a street date earlier than ours? What the shit? No more complaining about that from Yahtzee IMO!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:00:18 PM

This might be the first game I buy in half a year, assuming the reviews aren't terrible.  Anyone know where I can download it once it's out in Europe?
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:16:57 PM

This might be the first game I buy in half a year, assuming the reviews aren't terrible.  Anyone know where I can download it once it's out in Europe?

Yes, sir!

http://eastore.ea.com/store/eaemea/DisplayHomePage

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 06:24:09 PM

Does anybody know if Spore phones home if you are connected to the Internet a la Steam? I'm too lazy to check.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 06:38:25 PM

Spore was leaked; it's been pirated already. It's on various private sites and should make it's way to public ones within a day or two.
Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:06:30 PM

Can't wait.

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 10:09:06 PM

Australia got a street date earlier than ours? What the shit? No more complaining about that from Yahtzee IMO!

The movie Wall-E is about to premiere in Australian cinemas.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 11:40:59 PM

Spore was leaked; it's been pirated already. It's on various private sites and should make it's way to public ones within a day or two.

A day or two? The internet moves at the speed of LIGHT!

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:26 AM

It won't run on the previous Mac OS and its EA.  I shall be passing for now. 

Besides, September 9th is when Battle for Black Reach, Warhammer 40K's newest starter set packed with the 5th edition rulesbook and about 1000 points worth of Marines and Orks comes out.

And I am back to Da Boyz after a nearly year long hiatus of Chaos Marine and Tyranid shenanigans.

Yoru

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:18:51 AM

Does anybody know if Spore phones home if you are connected to the Internet a la Steam? I'm too lazy to check.

The box shots I've seen have "internet connection required for gameplay" just like Mass Effect, so I would expect it has the same herpetic DRM situation.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 05:23:22 AM

*  We authenticate your game online when you install and launch it the first time.
    * We'll re-authenticate when a player uses online features, downloads new content or a patch for their game.
    * The new system means you don't have to play with the disc in your computer. And if you are like me, always losing discs, this will be a huge benefit.
    * You'll still be able to install and play on multiple computers.
    * You can play offline.
It should be delivered at my doorstep in about 24 hours.
Yoru

Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 05:44:14 AM

Where's that quote from?

I just called up the local retailer and they confirmed it will be in when the store opens tomorrow morning. 10 AM road trip!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 06:06:37 AM

http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/2008/05/maxis-responds-to-the-spore-drm-controversy.php

It's what they said after they dropped the securom/authenticate every ten days drm.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 06:14:45 AM

It won't run on the previous Mac OS and its EA.  I shall be passing for now. 

Besides, September 9th is when Battle for Black Reach, Warhammer 40K's newest starter set packed with the 5th edition rulesbook and about 1000 points worth of Marines and Orks comes out.

And I am back to Da Boyz after a nearly year long hiatus of Chaos Marine and Tyranid shenanigans.

I've barely played in years, but I'll be picking this up next week as well.

Do they still have combat patrol stuff in the new edition? I'll have to rejig my painted CPs again, and finish my unpainted CPs, and then rejig their lists.

Does Spore still give you 3 installs EVAR before you have to telephone EA and ask nicely if you can install your game again? I thought that was the current state of play, but that link seems ambiguous.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 07:38:07 AM

Glad to hear their DRM measures worked.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 07:41:47 AM

Spore has practically no DRM whatsoever. Let's just stop this talk of DRM. Yeesh. It's not like it's Splinter Cell fucking Chaos Theory with some bastard child of Starforce and Securom.

And it's not like a pirated copy can authenticate into Spores servers, it's tied to your CD key.

NEXT TOPIC.
Yoru

Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 08:05:38 AM

So, how 'bout them penis monsters?
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 08:16:32 AM

Did they mention how they will filter them out when the game populates the world for you?
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 08:21:00 AM

There will be lots of talk of civilization-era religious victories with penis monsters.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 08:38:11 AM

Eh, penis (and vagina) monsters be damned. There is so much amazing talent around, this is going to rock. It's CoH character creation on steroids.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 09:10:11 AM

The puppet one is amazing, and also possibly the creepiest.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 09:50:08 AM

I think coming across a planet of them would be wild.

And coming across a planet of penis monsters....well, you've got to have a place to do weapons testing.
Yoru

Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 11:20:01 AM

Did they mention how they will filter them out when the game populates the world for you?

From what I hear, there's an option to populate your world with "unapproved" creatures. EA apparently has a group of Highly Trained Professionals (read: interns) that go through spore creatures and flag the okay ones as Safe. If you're cool with penis monsters, just allow unapproved creatures and you draw from the whole range.

I'll doublecheck this though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 11:42:51 AM

I would imagine it would pull from something like (or exactly) the Featured filter list on sporepedia. The stuff I just listed was from that list, which is full of awesome.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 12:20:32 PM

This game's online component had better be the second coming, because I've seen flash games with more depth than the single player game.
Cory Jacobs
Terracotta Army

It's so bad.

Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 04:05:31 AM

Okay, not by any means a sanctioned review, and yes I saw the topic "SPORED OUT OF YOUR MIND," I don't care. 

With that aside, I've spent the last 5 hours playing alongside F13 alumni Capt Jigglypuff, and both he and I came to the same two conclusions....

1. People can deliver on hype, it just takes an exceptionally long amount of time and a shit load of delays and...

2. If you ever want to see daylight again, DONT PLAY SPORE.

Seriously, not kidding! I don't think the customization ends! I collapsed into a ball under my desk around the tribal era, and Justin wasn't far off. I sent him home with a burned copy and swore I'd never play the game again. It's simply too much! I'm sure there's going to be a hardcore community springing up, but I want no part of it. My fragile mind can't handle that level of micromanaging...

After Spore I've realized for the first time in my life that I don't want to be God.

A - Z is for Cory, who is awesome in every way.
Yoru

Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 06:31:54 AM

I just got my copy today and played an hour at lunch. I'm in the creature phase.

Confirming, it's awesome -- but, I can definitely see why some folks wouldn't enjoy it much. A lot of the joy comes from playing with your creature designs and just looking at neat stuff, the game mechanics are light and don't get in the way of that too often.

Can't wait to go farther on this after work tonight.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 06:47:52 AM

Oh shit, we found the target fanbase.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41:53 AM

Wow, spore.com is getting thrashed right now.  I wonder if they have indeed opened the download floodgates early.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 08:52:44 AM

1. People can deliver on hype, it just takes an exceptionally long amount of time and a shit load of delays and...
You are so wrong!
Yoru

Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 09:26:34 AM

You are so wrong!

Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Spored out of your mind?  
Jump to: