Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:40:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Teamspeak vs Ventrillo. Anyone used both? Which is better? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teamspeak vs Ventrillo. Anyone used both? Which is better?  (Read 3710 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

on: November 04, 2004, 04:53:18 AM

Topic says it all -- am looking at subscribing to a voice server of some kind for use in Guild Wars but I have no idea which might be better, Teamspeak or Ventrillo -- or Roger Wilco for that matter.

Anyone used these who can provide feedback on pros/cons?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 05:27:01 AM

I prefer TS and TSDisp together, but I never bothered with Ventrilo. Saw a friend use it once and didn't like the interface and the quality I was hearing. For running the server software of them, I don't know. Never tried doing that with either. I tried Roger Wilco once a long time ago, but don't remember it very well at all.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 07:26:12 AM

Ventrilo > Teamspeak > Roger Wilco

Ventrilo beats Teamspeak quality. However you have to pay for server now AFAIK unless you have some old version.

In the end, it all comes down to which reliable server you have to host the server. If it's TS, then go with it.

Some gaming providers provide ventrilo servers/channels for those that pay a monthly fee. Probably the same for Teamspeak.

d

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
Masuri

Email
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 07:31:00 AM

Quote from: dEOS
Ventrilo > Teamspeak > Roger Wilco

Yep, what he said.  We use Ventrilo for my EQ guild and TS for my CoH supergroup.  Ventrilo is by far the better sound quality and also has a lot nicer customization and channel options.  You do have to pay for a Ventrilo server, I believe, but for heavy use, Ventrilo is king.

--Masuri
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 07:54:53 AM

Ventrillo all the way.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 08:32:37 AM

Teamspeak does not perform well with more than 30ish people connected at once, even with top-notch dedicated server, but it is very friendly to crappy connections. Ventrillo work very well even with 50 or more people but refuses to work with crappy connections.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 10:22:57 AM

Thanks all, for the feedback.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 11:35:32 AM

I have used Ventrillo client alot, and like it.  My friends run a Soldier of Fortune 2 server/clan, and they have numerous members in the room at at time and it performs very well.  I have used it for UO, with as many as 10 people, and had no issues.  My friends feel Vent handles multiple people better then TS.

I set up a Teamspeak Server to talk to someone who was not savy enough to setup Ventrillo, and liked it as well.  It was only the two of us, and the clarity was fine.  I liked the number of options Teamspeak gave me, but that may have been because I was running the Server.  Ventrillo Client did not have a default record option like the TS server did.  I have not seen a record conversation option for Vent Client, but I have not looked hard.

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 11:36:29 AM

We've had a good 10-15 people on our teamspeak server. Worked fine. Here's what it comes down to:

Ventrilo costs $.
Teamspeak is free.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 12:17:38 PM

You get what you pay for.

Most of my MMOG guilds have used TS, and I have been very happy with it, but in my latesy guild, one of the members already had a Ventrilo server, so we started using that, and the clerity and sound is WAY better. But like that said, you have to pay for it.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 02:05:48 PM

The respective high commands of ww2ol use TS servers...they have 100s of players on them at once.

The Allied one has a habit of crashing just as we launch a major attack.

Therefore Teamspeak is an axis plot, go Ventrillo.

(Seriously how much does V cost? Some of my squads ratel fascists are always looking for ways to improve)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Bullrose

Email
Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 03:02:04 PM

I play with a small group of friends and we've used some type of voice communication while gaming for several years now.   Of the big three, Ventrilo, Roger Wilco and Teamspeak we get the best sound quality out of Ventrilo.

According to my Ventrilo install directory's helpfile, the free version of Ventrilo v2.2.0 is limited to 8 concurrent users.   So if you have a larger group than that and you want free, then Ventrilo isn't for you.
Cougar
Developers

Mythic Entertainment

Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 08:55:16 AM

I've had 200 people on a TeamSpeak server, and usually the most problems I have with it are Combat Discipline (Talking all at once) and trying to understand all the different accents (I play Eve -- thus a heavier non-US player base)

~C~
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 09:04:51 AM

Quote from: Cougar
I've had 200 people on a TeamSpeak server, and usually the most problems I have with it are Combat Discipline (Talking all at once)

Would you like to borrow a couple of RATEL fascists? They work for free.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 10:28:22 AM

Quote from: Cougar
I've had 200 people on a TeamSpeak server, and usually the most problems I have with it are Combat Discipline (Talking all at once) and trying to understand all the different accents (I play Eve -- thus a heavier non-US player base)

We're having the same troubles with our EQ2 guild on TeamSpeak.  People like to chat and have fun (this isn't the military), but a lot of times we'll be talking all over each other's words.  When two people talk at the same time you can't hear either of them very well.  So then they both stop, then pause, then start talking again at the same time and - you get the idea.

I don't want to institute some strict Army protocol where you have to say "over" every time you're done talking, but there must be a way to facilitate casual chatter between fifteen or so people in the same channel.

I hope that eventually our members will get used to each others' tendencies enough (we're a new guild) to better guage when it's appropriate to speak up.

Anyone here have experience with this kind of situation?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 11:53:34 AM

hehe you have no idea. There are threads on my ww2ol squads board that are pages long about proper TS usage. A lot of us are ex or present military so at times we can get a bit vicious with those who prattle on.

'callsign, shut the fuck up, over'.

I suggest you have multiple channels and if ppl aren't doing something with the main group have them go to a sub channel and 2nd when you are doing things as a group have designated times when you have your 'game voices' on ie everyone focused on only speaking when its pertinent to whats going on in the game right now...save the chatter for when your in town etc. Theres really no way to stop ppl talking over each other.
Use the old 'break break break' line if you want to make a vital comms transmission while everyone is blathering away.

I can only imagine a EQ TS channel....

'LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT...over'

edit: I can't spell, over.

Cuular
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 01:59:39 PM

<- Points to Bullrose above.  

I run the server that we use.  And having sampled Roger Wilco, Team Speak, and Ventrilo.  Ventrilo has the best quality sound at a substantially lower bandwidth usage, then the other two.

Ventrilo uses 860 bytes a second as opposed to TS's and Roger Wilco's 1100 or so.

As far as getting people to chat or be quiet when needed.  It all evens out in the end.  The "Alpha" voice will dominate, while the rest fit in when they can. :)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 06, 2004, 03:52:01 AM

Quote from: Shannow

Acutllay AFIAK it it only goes down every day at the same time for a reboot (anbnoying the hell out of 4th brigade because that's our prime time).

Whioch squad? It sounds like you're either talking about me or bigass :).

The axis/allied TS servers are I think provided by CRS now.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 07:39:15 AM

Quote from: Comstar
Quote from: Shannow

Acutllay AFIAK it it only goes down every day at the same time for a reboot (anbnoying the hell out of 4th brigade because that's our prime time).

Whioch squad? It sounds like you're either talking about me or bigass :).

The axis/allied TS servers are I think provided by CRS now.

Its a mystery...but you really need to take the transmit button away from your brother some times.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Teamspeak vs Ventrillo. Anyone used both? Which is better?  
Jump to: